How to reset scores/settings in Gradius Generation

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
bcass

How to reset scores/settings in Gradius Generation

Post by bcass »

Does anyone know how to reset scores/settings in Gradius Generation? I have the EU version too, but I have misplaced my manual for it, and I'm positive that it told you how to do the reset.
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

If they didn't change the code from the NA version, go to the option menu, highlight exit, then push L+R+B+Start.
bcass

Post by bcass »

That doesn't seem to work on the JPN version. I think on the EU release, you had to hold a combination of buttoms during power-on (but not the one you gave, as I tried that too). I'm hoping this will be the same on the JPN release.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Err, no. Zach's input list is definitely right. You go to option, highlight exit, hold L + R + B and press start...

...In order to check this, I deleted mine! I thought it opened a window asking for a confirmation of sort, but no, it did reset my scores, loops achieved and option settings! :cry:

So, it works, in the EU version :cry:

I regret my curiosity and the will to answer this topic :?
X - P - B
bcass

Post by bcass »

I worded my reply incorrectly. I meant to say that the code Zach gave does not work on the JPN release - not on the Options screen, nor on power-on.
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

Cool, I wish I knew this earlier.

I bought my copy 2nd hand, so there was one high score on there that took me a long time to beat. Guess what, the game must have been 2nd hand because whoever bought it sucked at video games. The game was set to Easy mode, 9 lives, Rapid ON (and as such the ONE high score on there must have been achieved on these settings). But it was nice when I could push the bastard off the chart on Normal mode with 3 lives and Rapid OFF.

Anyway, here's a risky method you can try. Attempt to get a high score, and after you enter in your name, pull out the cart while the GBA is still on. If you timed it at the exact moment the game is saving, the save data bank *might* be erased/corrupted. There's also a big chance you'll bugger the rest of the game too :\ I haven't tried it myself since I'm having a hard time getting on the high score chart anymore :(
bcass

Post by bcass »

I can't see why the US and EUR editions would have an erase option, but not the JPN release. I'm almost certain it tells you how to do it in the EUR manual. Could anyone have a quick look for me? It may well be as detailed in the posts above, but I'd just like to be sure!

The previous owner of this game had max lives, rapid on, Easy setting, etc. and has amased a huge score. Its a bit crap that Konami didn't have seperate score tables for each difficulty setting (and even then, scores should only have been saved if default settings were used). Its taken me about 12 months to find the JPN release, in mint and complete condition, it will be a major downer if I can't wipe these 'cheating' scores.
welcometoyourdoom

Post by welcometoyourdoom »

What's wrong with autofire? Not everyone wants to hammer their GBA buttons into a cloud of plastic dust for the sake of "L33tizMM".
it290

Post by it290 »

I bought my copy 2nd hand, so there was one high score on there that took me a long time to beat. Guess what, the game must have been 2nd hand because whoever bought it sucked at video games. The game was set to Easy mode, 9 lives, Rapid ON (and as such the ONE high score on there must have been achieved on these settings). But it was nice when I could push the bastard off the chart on Normal mode with 3 lives and Rapid OFF.
Ha, same here. I guess it's just the norm. I left the rapid fire on though, personally.
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

welcometoyourdoom wrote:What's wrong with autofire? Not everyone wants to hammer their GBA buttons into a cloud of plastic dust for the sake of "L33tizMM".
Sometimes it's better to have rapid off, especially in a game like Gradius Galaxies which limits the number of shots you can fire in a single stream.

If you're close to the left side of the screen and there is something you want to point-blank, you'll want to have bullets to fire right away instead of waiting for your earlier rapid fire shots to leave the screen, because those milliseconds are the difference between life and death.
welcometoyourdoom

Post by welcometoyourdoom »

iatneH wrote:
welcometoyourdoom wrote:What's wrong with autofire? Not everyone wants to hammer their GBA buttons into a cloud of plastic dust for the sake of "L33tizMM".
Sometimes it's better to have rapid off, especially in a game like Gradius Galaxies which limits the number of shots you can fire in a single stream.

If you're close to the left side of the screen and there is something you want to point-blank, you'll want to have bullets to fire right away instead of waiting for your earlier rapid fire shots to leave the screen, because those milliseconds are the difference between life and death.
It's easy enough (in Galaxies specifically) to tap out single or double shots, then hold down the button when you need it. It works great.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

bcass wrote:Its taken me about 12 months to find the JPN release, in mint and complete condition, it will be a major downer if I can't wipe these 'cheating' scores.
bcass, is there a reason to hunt down the Jpn rev, besides being a collector?
X - P - B
FatCobra

Post by FatCobra »

Strange how this game got different names in different regions.

I bought mine second-hand as well, but it still had the default 57300 high score, but it was also set to 9 lives and easy difficulty. Whoever had it last time must have really sucked at it. :lol:

This game looks fantastic on the DS, by the way.
Shmups: It's all about blowing stuff up!
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Turrican wrote:
bcass wrote:Its taken me about 12 months to find the JPN release, in mint and complete condition, it will be a major downer if I can't wipe these 'cheating' scores.
I heard that the JPN rev has Challenge A and Challenge B modes that aren't in any other version. How are these modes? What are they like?
FatCobra

Post by FatCobra »

BrianC wrote:
Turrican wrote:
I heard that the JPN rev has Challenge A and Challenge B modes that aren't in any other version. How are these modes? What are they like?
Once again, US and Euro gamers got screwed over again....
Shmups: It's all about blowing stuff up!
bcass

Post by bcass »

FatCobra wrote:
BrianC wrote:
Turrican wrote: bcass, is there a reason to hunt down the Jpn rev, besides being a collector?
Once again, US and Euro gamers got screwed over again....
This only happened because the game was released in JPN after EUR and the US got the game (in fact, EUR got the game before anywhere else).

As for the extra JPN-only modes, here are the details, curtesy of gamestone.co.uk:
* Challenge A - When you get 573,000 points or more on "NORMAL" or more, "CHALLENGE - A" will appear on the title screen. Note this score CANNOT have any number aside from 0 in the one and ten digits. How do you avoid this? Not using the Continue option or cheats, as these increase the score by one point.

Challenge A is basically the standard game, but with a twist. You only play through one "checkpoint" of a level. That is, if you start from part 1 of stage 1, you only play that part. This goes for every segment of every stage. Needless to say, this means you have to play through each section without ANY powerups initially, and can only use what you get. Having to play through the harder sections of levels without being able to grab any powerups beforehand is quite difficult, to say the least.

* Challenge B - Do the same on "HARD" (or complete the game on Challenge A) and "CHALLENGE - B" appears!

Challenge B has the same rules as A,but with a much higher difficulty (We're talking Loop 3 level difficulty!) and completing all of Challenge B unlocks a final, previously undisplayed menu option.

* The Final Challenge

The Final Challenge. One stage, one section, one life, only three Power Capsules at the very start, and no more throughout the area. What awaits? A swarm of enemies that move at insanely high speeds, and unleash an onslaught of normal and suicide bullets. If you can beat this, you're truly the master of Gradius Generation. If you can't beat it, there's always the hidden Hint Video for it (press right on the Final Challenge menu to select it, and be amazed at the skill displayed.)
bcass

Post by bcass »

Incidentally, I still haven't found a way to reset the scores. There must surely be a way? Why would they remove the option from the JPN release.
Restart_Point

Re:

Post by Restart_Point »

bcass wrote:Incidentally, I still haven't found a way to reset the scores. There must surely be a way? Why would they remove the option from the JPN release.
I just bought a JPN loose cart (Gradius Generation) and all the extras are unlocked. I want to start from fresh.

The clear data method mentioned here, GameFAQs and the US manual (L+R+B+Start on Options>Exit) is not working for me either, so it does appear the Japanese version has a diferent method. Has anyone worked it out yet?

I havent been able to find the Japanese manual or anything via Google yet

Thanks
bcass

Re: How to reset scores/settings in Gradius Generation

Post by bcass »

I did it by removing the cart, quickly, when it was saving the scores. Presumably this corrupted the save file, forcing a new empty one to be generated.
Restart_Point

Post by Restart_Point »

bcass wrote:I did it by removing the cart, quickly, when it was saving the scores. Presumably this corrupted the save file, forcing a new empty one to be generated.
I have tried this , by whipping the cart out immeadiately after entering my initials on the scoreboard but it hasn't had any effect so far
Restart_Point

Post by Restart_Point »

I can totally confirm that the JPN version "Gradius Generation" has no way to manually reset the eeprom by design, and none of the EU/US version methods work on it. It doesn't even mention it in the JPN manual at all (which I eventually found and translated). But I just worked out the quickest 'dirty' way to do it. Seems a huge design flaw by Konami and it's really weird as the EU/US versions apparently came out just before the JPN version.

The easiest way to do it is make some arbitrary changes to settings in the Options menu, then hit A on the "Exit" icon (which initiates saving your options) then whip the cartridge out almost straight after. I found it worked when I did it just when the screen was completely black while it was transitioning back to the title screen.

The GBA will hang on what ever it was showing and then you reboot it, and all unlocked content is gone!

I have been trying to do this now and again for three years ! Finally I deduced the option screen method, which is better because you don't have to waste loads of time trying to attain and save a high score, over and over again until it works, which it never did for me. Seems so obvious now!
Last edited by Restart_Point on Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

A safer method would be to just install a new battery in the cart.
Restart_Point

Post by Restart_Point »

Sengoku Strider wrote:A safer method would be to just install a new battery in the cart.
This game doesn't use a battery, that's the problem, it uses an eeprom chip