How long did it take you to get your 1 CC's?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
TheSyllogist

How long did it take you to get your 1 CC's?

Post by TheSyllogist »

How long did it take you guys to get your 1cc's?

I'm working on Mushihimesama Futari Original now. I managed a 1cc with Black Label after two weeks of playing. I'm close to getting the 1.5 Original 1CC, made it to last phase of Larsa. I expect a couple more days of training.

I'd imagine Maniac will take me a couple months after my Original 1cc. As far as Ultra, who knows. Maybe a year or two.

I found that after learning the scoring system, I end up dying fairly often without using my bombs first trying to max out my score during my run.
Last edited by TheSyllogist on Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
shmuppyLove

Re: How long did it take you to get your 1 CC's?

Post by shmuppyLove »

I 1cc'd Novice on my 2nd play :lol:

Working towards a 1.5 Original 1cc, but it will take me a while since I can only realistically play for a few hours a week.

I want to get BL, but I'm holding out for some kind of a deal on MS points since there's a couple of things I want to grab.
TheSyllogist

Post by TheSyllogist »

shmuppyLove wrote:I 1cc'd Novice on my 2nd play :lol:

Working towards a 1.5 Original 1cc, but it will take me a while since I can only realistically play for a few hours a week.

I want to get BL, but I'm holding out for some kind of a deal on MS points since there's a couple of things I want to grab.
Congratulations!

The difficulty of original really ramps up midway after stage 3. Training mode and some creativity really helps.
Vyxx
Banned User

Post by Vyxx »

First Cave 1CC was Mushihimesama Original mode. Took maybe a week or two tops a long time ago.

Good feeling once you get it done.
Hagane

Post by Hagane »

1CCs, roughly:

Sengoku Blade: 15 hours through three weeks
Shippu Mahou Daisakusen: 10 hours playing it here and there
Imperishable Night and Mountain of Faith in normal: 5 and 2 hours respectively.

For non STGs, The Punisher took ~30 hours playing it here and there for a year (I got the clear when I started playing it more frequently though, maybe 20 hours in a couple of months).

For the Sengoku Blade 2-ALL, I've played around 400 hours through 2 years, and I still haven't cleared it. I'm close (I got a recorded run where I died at the final boss), but the motherfucker refuses to go down.
chempop

Post by chempop »

Last night I got the Akuu Gallet 1CC, if I were to guess I played maybe 5-10 hours, but I usually only play on the weekends.

Certain games I have cleared after only a handful of attempts, ESPrade was one of them.
Others take years with long breaks in between attempts, Futari 1.5 Maniac and ESPG2 come to mind.

It depends on if I'm playing daily, or just on weekends. Also, I don't use practice modes or savestates. I occasionally check out replays, but only to get a sense for the game.

It took a good 10 years to get to the point I'm at now. Yes, 10 years of sucking ass before I knew what I was doing.
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
Giest118

Post by Giest118 »

Each of the Touhous on Normal took me just a few tries. Hard mode took a few weeks, and Lunatic took over a month for EoSD, and then the rest of the Lunatics came within two or three weeks.

Blue Wish Resurrection on Hell took almost two years of on-and-off play.

Ketsui first loop took a few months of on-and-off play.

I could attempt to list every single 1cc, but that would be kind of a long list. :V
z0mbie90

Post by z0mbie90 »

Not first 1cc but tonight I cleared 1st loop of DDP-DFK on Novice tonight, and got to stage 4 in regular. Is that a good start?
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Darius Gaiden 1cc took me about...5 or so monthes. All I know is that I 1cc'ed it on December 18th, and that I began playing it sometime in the middle of my Fall semester. No Miss'ing it took about another 2 or 3 weeks.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

I have a somewhat small list of 1CCs, but it all started out with
Psyvariar: The Will To Fabricate (DC). I loved the scraping concept and dedicated about 2 months of straight playing until I was able to 1CC everything (including Gluon). What really helped was studying youtube videos to see how people handled certain situations that I was having trouble with.

my next was Ikaruga Normal (GC) which took close to 5-6 months playing on and off (mostly on).

then I got into Cave games :)
In order
mushihimesama ver. 1.5 original 2 months
mushihimesama black label original 1 day
akai katana arcade mode 1 month
mushihimesama HD ver. 1.5 original a week
deathsmiles (choosing the easiest stage difficulties) >1 day
deathsmiles IIX (choosing the easiest stage difficulties) >1 day
mushihimesama futari black label maniac 3 weeks dedicated (once a day attempts) but on and off for about 4-6 months.

working on ketsui x-mode and pink sweets arrange mode on and off (maybe an a couple attempts one day a week). stuck on stage 5 in ketsui and stage 6 in pink sweets.
Last edited by Some-Mist on Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a creature... half solid half gas
O. Van Bruce
Location: On an alternate dimension... filled with bullets and moon runes...

Post by O. Van Bruce »

My 1cc's tend to be longer than your usual player here mainly because I can't play more than 1 hour without having to stop. Besides, I go for 2 or even 3 1cc's at the same time Ex: I was trying to get a Pink Sweets 1cc for 2 months, stoped playing shmups for 1 and 1/2 week, then changed to trying to loop Ketsui for 1 month, stoped playing shmups for 1 week, started playing Akashicverse and I was 1 week, returned to Ketsui and achieved the loop after 1 week and now I'm returning to Pink Sweets....

Yeah, I'm the epytome of inconsistency sometimes but I still manage to get my 1cc's and I can really be stubborn sometimes...

like when I got a Phantasmagoria of Dimensional Dream Lunatic 1cc using Reimu in less than a week... playing 10-12 hours a day. Damm, that game was fun as hell...
KAI

Post by KAI »

Deathsmiles - 1 day
Mushi Futari BL Normal - 1 day
Illvelo - 1 day
Karous - 1 day
Valhellio - 1 day
DDP DFK - 1 day
EXCEED3rd JADE PENETRATE - Black Package - 1 day
Pinksweets - 1 life
CptRansom

Post by CptRansom »

I cleared PCB Phantasm on my 7th try. I started Lunatic on Tuesday, got to the last spellcard Wednesday, took Thursday and Friday off from playing, played a small handful of credits Saturday and Sunday, cleared it on my first credit of the day yesterday.

Mars Matrix took me about a month of busting my balls 3+ hours of savestate practice a day. This was also when I first started getting into STGs more seriously.

Dodonpachi took me 48 hours from start to 1-ALL (not counting the maybe five credits I'd fucked around with over the previous year). I cleared the first loop of Gradius within 24 hours of playing it for the first time. 1-ALL'd Strikers 1999 during STGT within 10 hours of playing after never even seeing it before. Bakraid Normal Course took me 3-4 days of dicking around after school but before I went home because it was right after Xmas Break and I didn't have anything better to do. Once I buckled down on Mushihimesama in MAME (no save states) I got the clear within a few days after spending a couple weeks flailing around on random credits. It took me about three weeks of off and on play to clear ESPGaluda without save states.

Those are the only ones I have even remotely worth mentioning (and most of them just barely). I'm not very good. =/
<trap15> I only pick high quality games
<trap15> I'm just pulling shit out of my ass tbh
AntiFritz

Post by AntiFritz »

CptRansom wrote:I'm not very good. =/
What
RegalSin wrote:Rape is very shakey subject. It falls into the catergory of Womens right, Homosexaul rights, and Black rights.
Muchi Muchi Spork

Post by Muchi Muchi Spork »

It's a combo of how difficult the game is with how many clears you have done in the past. If you played a string of games that had the exact same clear difficulty the first would most likely take you the longest to clear and the last the least. You end up learning techniques that help in other games. I guess that's obvious but nobody said it. I don't remember which game I cleared first or when I started to go for the 1CC / see it as a viable option. It was some time in 2011. I don't think days or weeks is a good measurement either, it's just the easiest to keep up with. It's hours of play that counts most though.

Oh wait I remember the game now, it was Mushihimesama, but I had turned the difficulty all the way down and raised the number of ships and whatnot, so it didn't really count.
Paradigm
Banned User

Post by Paradigm »

CptRansom wrote:I started Lunatic on Tuesday, got to the last spellcard Wednesday, took Thursday and Friday off from playing, played a small handful of credits Saturday and Sunday, cleared it on my first credit of the day yesterday.
Somebody call Craig David, this could be his big comeback.
chum

Post by chum »

I'll try to avoid estimates. Some games, as well as MAME, have timers which is nice, and I remember what they were in some cases

UFO Hard: 20 hours or so
UFO Lunatic: 40-50
Ketsui 1-all: 10 hours
Gunbird 2: 15-ish hours
Strikers 1999: between 5 and 10
Strikers 1945 II: a couple of hours
Dragon Blaze: almost 10 hours
PoDD Lunatic (Yumemi): 20-ish
PoDD Lunatic (Chiyuri): 50-ish (been working on this for some weeks and got it today)
Guwange: a couple
EspRade: 6 hours
Batsugun Special: 15 or 16
Darius Gaiden: 2 or 3 hours
Twin Cobra 2: 1 try
DoDonPachi: about 6 hours back in the day (skills were non existent then)

Don't know any others... some clears came nearly effortlessly after I'd already spent some casual time with the game (Garegga, PCB Lunatic, Batrider Advanced Course) but the actual time spent on them must've been over 10 hours
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

These timescales are based on concerted effort, i.e. a plan to put them in the cab and work at them until cleared. I haven't taken into account time spent on the odd go here and there that may have preceded them. Everything is totally approximate too.

Just to note, I always like to play for score, but I tend to drop a game once I 1cc it almost instantly. A bad habit, but I find there's too much to play. So the games that took longer to clear I tend to have much better scores on (respectively) that the ones that fell really quickly.

- Mushihimesama Futari 1.5 (Original) - 12 hours approx.
- Mushihimesama Futari Black Label (Original) - First go (came after I had already cleared 1.5 several times.)
- DoDonPachi - Approx 6 credits
- DoDonPachi DaiOuJou Black Label (PCB) - Around 15 hours I estimate.
- DoDonPachi Daifukkatsu 1.5 (PCB) Strong/Bomb - 6 Credits approx
- Cho Ren Sha 68k - My first 1cc. Maybe 10 hours approx.
- Thunderforce 3 - My 2nd 1cc. Around 4-5 hours.
- Gleylancer - 4 or 5 credits
- Espgaluda II Arrange (360) - About 7 credits
- Steel Empire - First proper go after learning the basics
- Mushihimesama (Original) - 7 hours ish
- Progear US (Default difficulty) - Difficult to say. I played the JP to a 1cc and came back to this and it was much easier.
- Progear JP (Default difficulty) - Probably 20 hours or so
- Batrider - Normal - 2 hours
- Battle Bakraid - Normal - 1.5 hours approx, in the company of Icarus
- Ketsui Death Label (Very Hard) - 5 hours? Could be a bit less.
- Coryoon - 1st go. Rubbish game
- Deathsmiles Mega Black Label - 3 hours approx
- Harmful Park - Normal - 3 hours approx
- Solar Striker - Around 7 credits give or take
- Elemental Master - A handful of credits. Think the MD was turned on twice in all.
- Darius Burst PSP A-H/A-I/A-J - Unsure, confusing with all the modes. Very easy on PSP until Great Thing though.
- Darius Burst Another Chronicle / A-H Single & 3 Player / A-I Single & 2 Player / B-I Single / C-L 2 Players - Not sure. Pumped a lot of hours into it overall, maybe 10 for these clears.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

Erppo

Post by Erppo »

For an easy/average difficulty game, usually something between a day and a week. My first ever clears were some Touhous on Normal which generally took a couple of days. My first non-trivial arcade clear was the first loop of DDP some time after that which also took around the same time. These were ~3 years ago. Since couple people have mentioned it, Futari 1.5 Original took me two days after getting the port. I've gotten somewhat better since then though.

I don't really have many clears I'd classify as hard. The latest was Ketsui Omote, which took 3 weeks of more or less active play. I had put some time to the game previously too on at least two different occasions so I didn't learn everything from the start that time.
moh

Post by moh »

wow, reading this thread is depressing. I've spent probably 100 credits on DOJ and i've only made it to the last level once :(
GaijinPunch wrote:Ketsui with suction cup.
O. Van Bruce
Location: On an alternate dimension... filled with bullets and moon runes...

Post by O. Van Bruce »

moh wrote:wow, reading this thread is depressing. I've spent probably 100 credits on DOJ and i've only made it to the last level once :(
Yeah, I'd really like to hear the opinions and feelings of the not-so-talented guys in this forum from time to time. It's like they are ashamed of not being as good as the posters here when you can perfectly share the fun of shmups without clearing then in record time. :|

I'd like to think that the times posted here only represent the 10-20% of shmups players on earth.
chempop

Post by chempop »

moh wrote:wow, reading this thread is depressing. I've spent probably 100 credits on DOJ and i've only made it to the last level once :(
Well, I wouldn't worry about it. If you are just playing for survival it'll happen sooner obviously than if you are chaining. Plus, it depends on how new the person is to cave games. DOJ-BL took me an insane amount of effort to clear the first loop btw, easily +100 credits. Then I turned WAIT mode ON and it happened rather soon :mrgreen:
It's a combo of how difficult the game is with how many clears you have done in the past.
Indeed.
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
moh

Post by moh »

thanks for the encouragement chempop. I've been playing shmups for about 2.5 years now. I hope to become proficient at them eventually :(
GaijinPunch wrote:Ketsui with suction cup.
ratikal

Post by ratikal »

Eschatos Hard took me maybe like 30 - 50 hours.
Batsugun Special took me maybe 15 - 20 hours.
Under Defeat took me around a week (so maybe like 10 - 15 hours).

However, games like Battle Garegga, Ketsui, and DOJBL, I've spent countless hours (50+) and still have gotten anything note worthy with those games.

But I don't think it matters how long it takes to clear one game. As long as the game is still just as fun on hour 75 as it was on hour 1, I'll keep playing and sucking!
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

Yeah; these sorts of comparisons have always seemed a bit odd to me, when there's so much variation based on player skill (John Superplayer 1-ALLed Ketsui in 2 hours; what does that information mean to you?).

Just because some people have explicitly asked to hear new/less-skilled players' perspectives, I'll share my own experiences as it has come to 1CCing games.

I started, essentially, from total scratch. Due to gaps in playtime, you could say I've been playing for the equivalent of 2-3 months. When I first started, I had the long-term goal of accumulating a bunch of 1CCs, because a 1CC seemed like a logical goal to set, and it would be a good way to experience lots of different games. After maybe 6 hours of learning the ropes of the game -- and STGs in general -- I had reached Larsa in MSFBLO, so I was feeling OK about it. I probably could've lucked out a clear within a few more hours if I had kept playing pure survival.

Shortly after that point, I decided that I would much rather focus on a single game or two and try to excel at them, rather than playing solely to clear a bunch of games. Instead, I set a scoring target for myself in Futari. As I got more and more skilled with the game, I automatically began to point-blank more and more in order to improve my scores, which naturally is at odds with survival. As such, it took me probably another 15-20 hours of score-focused play before I actually happened to clear the game, and when I did, it felt like sort of a non-event as a natural consequence of improving at the game, rather than any sort of big end goal that I had been shooting for. At this point, I typically clear BL Original every time unless I play much more risky than usual, which I suppose is a milestone of sorts. I imagine I'll feel a bit more accomplished when I manage to clear BL Maniac, but I'm still not expressly shooting for it.

As others have said, though, the only thing that ought to matter is that you're enjoying yourself, and that you're seeing steady improvement. I've raised my best score by 10-20% multiple times over the past couple of weeks, which is enough to keep me happy. I know that I'll reach my goals if I keep at it, regardless of the fact that much better players can beat my score on a bad run. ;)
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Keres wrote:Yeah; these sorts of comparisons have always seemed a bit odd to me, when there's so much variation based on player skill (John Superplayer 1-ALLed Ketsui in 2 hours; what does that information mean to you?).
It's not so much about the player skill, what I find interesting is what the variation in clear time says about the game itself, rather then the player. It's just there's so many claims out there that memorization is everything, so it's interesting to see how more experienced or well trained players are able to clear games with less prep time.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
CptRansom

Post by CptRansom »

I wish more games kept track of hours played. I just checked my PCB results: 18 hours and 49 minutes of playtime across Normal, Hard, Lunatic, Extra, and Phantasm clears.

Is there a way to get MAME to keep track of that? It would be pretty neat. =D
<trap15> I only pick high quality games
<trap15> I'm just pulling shit out of my ass tbh
ChainsawGuitarSP

Post by ChainsawGuitarSP »

When I was actually playing shmups it only took me about a week or two. Finding the motivation to 1cc is harder than actually achieving it for me, I just like experimenting tbh.
Innovations in Recreational Electronic Media
z0mbie90

Post by z0mbie90 »

CptRansom wrote:I wish more games kept track of hours played. I just checked my PCB results: 18 hours and 49 minutes of playtime across Normal, Hard, Lunatic, Extra, and Phantasm clears.

Is there a way to get MAME to keep track of that? It would be pretty neat. =D
I can be totally wrong but I think ShmupMame 2 something has a feature like that, but IM not sure, and can be wrong.
Zengeku3
Banned User

Post by Zengeku3 »

O. Van Bruce wrote: Yeah, I'd really like to hear the opinions and feelings of the not-so-talented guys in this forum from time to time.
In that case, I'd love to provide for you guys. For most shmups, I have no idea how long it took to actually get the first clear but i do have some statistics. I am not very talented so i try to play a lot to compensate but I seem to find little girls more compelling than shmups so it's hard to prioritize the shmups most of the time. 8)

Also: I will have played shmups for 5 years soon so I'm actually quite bad everything considered.

Touhou 12: UFO - Practiced it for over 100 hours before having the guts to attempt 1cc'ing!
Touhou 13: TD - About 5-10 hours i guess
Ketsui 1-ALL: About 5-6 hours. I imagine similar figures for DOJBL. I tend to overpractice things with savestates instead of just feeding credits.
EspGaluda: 4 hours.
Mushihimesama Futari Maniac: 10-20 hours.
Crimzon Clover Original: 3 hours according to the game.

I realize this might make UFO sound harder than it actually is but that's just because I had some rather hard objectives i wanted to complete within the game's practice mode before going straight for the clear.