Which shooter theme do you like best?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!

Which shooter theme do you like best?

Sci-Fi/Space (e.g. Gradius, Radiant Silvergun, etc.)
41%
Military (e.g. Twin Cobra, Strikers 1945, etc.)
18%
Fantasy/Mythology (e.g. Mahou Daisakusen, Guwange, etc.)
12%
Cute 'Em Up (e.g. Cotton, Twinbee, etc.)
4%
Steampunk (e.g. Progear, Steel Empire, etc.)
14%
Organic (e.g. X-Multiply, Apidya, etc.)
6%
Weird/Wacky/Hentai (e.g. Parodius, Choaniki, etc.)
5%

Total votes: 221

Lord Satori

Re: Which shooter theme do you like best?

Post by Lord Satori »

Surreal isn't on there. (Akashicverse, Hellsinker, etc.)
BryanM wrote:You're trapped in a haunted house. There's a ghost. It wants to eat your friends and have sex with your cat. When forced to decide between the lives of your friends and the chastity of your kitty, you choose the cat.
Special World

Post by Special World »

I would say that's cyberpunk rather than surreal. Something like Cho Aniki is more classically surreal than Hellsinker imo.
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Hellsinker does get very surreal though.

Akashicverse is probably more then surreal. Maybe "abstract" is most accurate.

I wonder where something like Artesneit's games would fall, like Yakouga. Organic and hentai? Oh dear...
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Special World

Post by Special World »

Squire Grooktook wrote:I wonder where something like Artesneit's games would fall, like Yakouga. Organic and hentai? Oh dear...
Is this game actually good? It looks pretty cool.
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
Squire Grooktook

Special World wrote:
Squire Grooktook wrote:I wonder where something like Artesneit's games would fall, like Yakouga. Organic and hentai? Oh dear...
Is this game actually good? It looks pretty cool.
I can't speak for the rest of the franchise, but Yakouga 4 is actually pretty solid. One of the few games where I enjoy grazing. Patterns force you to move unfocused a lot (which I like). And chaining explosions is a rad idea.

Just turn off the hentai scenes lol.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Captain

Post by Captain »

Imho nothing beats a good space shooter. 2nd place probably goes to surreal and wacky ones.
I'm not sure. Way I see it it's just Giger style with less dicks and more tits, which doesn't qualify as hentai, does it?
In search of great justice, sailing on a sea of stars.
Image Image
Squire Grooktook

Well the walls do tend to be made out of intestines...

*edit* oh sorry, misread your post. You obviously haven't seen some of the CG's. *shudder*.
Last edited by Squire Grooktook on Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Stilghar

Post by Stilghar »

"Space: the final frontier... to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before."

Sorry, I got carried away. :mrgreen: Space all the way for me.
Dimension Drive:
http://www.dimensiondrive.com/

Indie Studio I belong to:
http://2awesomestudio.com/
Ikazu-san

Post by Ikazu-san »

mamboFoxtrot wrote:Someone should make a game that's literally all of these themes at once.
Mahou series? Despite being fantasy, it's a clusterfuck of a setting. You got space, dragons, magicians, pop idols, dragons made of steel, helicopters, drifting tanks made of wood, demonic worms, motherships... Does Daimahoo have womb level?
1. Unusual Weaponry
2. Short Words
3. Blind(ing) Fire
Squire Grooktook

Ikazu-san wrote:
mamboFoxtrot wrote:Someone should make a game that's literally all of these themes at once.
Mahou series? Despite being fantasy, it's a clusterfuck of a setting. You got space, dragons, magicians, pop idols, dragons made of steel, helicopters, drifting tanks made of wood, demonic worms, motherships... Does Daimahoo have womb level?
No it doesn't unfortunately, but Shippu does have a very Lovecraftian boss fought atop a see of giant mushrooms.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Ikazu-san wrote:
Mahou series? Despite being fantasy, it's a clusterfuck of a setting. You got space, dragons, magicians, pop idols, dragons made of steel, helicopters, drifting tanks made of wood, demonic worms, motherships...
And ninjas!
davyK

Post by davyK »

Love games that don't take themselves seriously re looks. so wacky for me. Very fond of other themes too like sci-fi and military though.
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

You also forgot pigs. Muchi Muchi Pork deserves it's own category.
BryanM wrote:You're trapped in a haunted house. There's a ghost. It wants to eat your friends and have sex with your cat. When forced to decide between the lives of your friends and the chastity of your kitty, you choose the cat.
juonryu2nd

Post by juonryu2nd »

For some reason all my favorite shmups have an apocalyptic theme, some lighter (Suguri) some darker (Alltynex)
Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

Honestly, i think Raizing up until Bakraid had the best themes imaginable. Mahou series are just awesome with the many small details and how thought out the universe is. Seems inspired by everything from D&D to 80's anime. Soukyugurentai is easily the most atmospheric and stylish cyberpunk shooter there has ever been. Nothing really needs to be said about Garegga. Best steampunk done in a game (Arcanum is pretty cool too but that's not a shooter). APB looks like a combination of every awesome 80s sci-fi OVA imaginable.
The creative dept. at Raizing really were something special. CAVE games are absolute shit in comparison honestly. Guwange and DOJ are the only ones that come anywhere close.
Last edited by Eaglet on Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moozooh wrote:I think that approach won't get you far in Garegga.
Image Image
Doctor Butler

Post by Doctor Butler »

I like wacky/abstract. Historical/mythological is cool too.
Furry Fox Jet Pilot

Post by Furry Fox Jet Pilot »

I like military and sci fi themes. Stuff like near-future but semi realistic military themes like Raiden and Air Gallet are the best. I don't mind WW2 era themes either, but I love how Strikers pulls it off by mixing it with crazy bosses and mechs. I also like dark themes like the Alltynex series and Ketsui. I'm not a fan of Garegga's steampunk theme, or loli stuff like Touhou and later Dodonpachi games. However, I do like Batrider's theme. Now that game is a perfect example of really fleshing out the theme in a good way; bright colors, comic book style characters, and the whole criminals being given a second chance to do good theme really feels like it could've been a movie back then.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Garegga is pretty not steampunk. It's heavy industrial.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
mamboFoxtrot

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

Squire Grooktook wrote:
Ikazu-san wrote:
No it doesn't unfortunately, but Shippu does have a very Lovecraftian boss fought atop a see of giant mushrooms.
Yeah, I was thinking of Mahou when I posted that. I'm not sure if it can actually tick off ALL the boxes, though.
BIL wrote:And ninjas!
And a 50-foot-tall ninja at that! Who's got a feud with an equally-sized dragon who's also a samurai!

That series is fukkin dope.
ReSe2k

Post by ReSe2k »

Voted for Steampunk but Organic would be a close second.
Captain

Post by Captain »

And ninjas!
And a 50-foot-tall ninja at that! Who's got a feud with an equally-sized dragon who's also a samurai!

That series is fukkin dope.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlQgISTM_Ko&t=22m13s
In search of great justice, sailing on a sea of stars.
Image Image
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

While sci fi is easily the most common setting for the shooters I own my favorite theme is military (Under Defeat) or military with a hint of wacky shit (Zero Gunner 2/Raiden).
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
plasticxo

Post by plasticxo »

Easily voted for Fantasy as some of my favourite STGs are fantasy walkers (Elemental Master, Undead Line, Guwange) and the Raizing mixed settings are so great (Mahou series). As some said, the mix of D&D and futuristic elements from the 80's Anime is so Japanese.
I would vote for Sci-Fi as a second choice with a linking for dark elements (R-Type, Einhander), and the pleasure of watching detailed machinery (Toaplan's style).
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

I lost the poll but I'd have voted on sci-fi, even though I play everything.

I also think there should be a category for "abstract shooters".
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Kollision wrote:I also think there should be a category for "abstract shooters".
When I read this, my first thought was Metal Black :lol:

Personally I like cute 'em up / wacky more, too bad that the genre is dead due to "disapproval" or "too weird" from most western audience.
o.pwuaioc

Post by o.pwuaioc »

So weird to see a 10 year old thread bumped 7 years after the last post.

I think my favorite setting is deep and dark space, more Gradius than Radiant Silvergun. In fact, I'll take dark and atmospheric as my favorite, so Abadox too (obviously) and Metal Black. Now that I type it out, I think I prefer that best for horis while vertis rock the military theme (Strikers, 1943), but where fast-action (so including Raiden, Sonic Wings, Soldier series) trumps atmosphere per se.

Didn't realize I had that preference til now.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

Whatever has the fewest lolis.
MommysBestGames

Re:

Post by MommysBestGames »

Same for me:
al138 wrote:I guess I'm really odd. I like sci-fi shooters that have organic themes woven into select levels (R-Type, Gradius, Salamander, etc.)
More monsters, bigger, weirder baddies to shoot, and I'm happy.
Anything other than abstract shapes or vague, boring, boxy sorta-robot things <snore>...
Made a giant arcade-adventure: Pig Eat Ball. Also made shmup with multi-ships: Shoot 1UP DX, Gunstacking game: Serious Sam Double D XXL, and more shooters.
o.pwuaioc

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Obscura wrote:Whatever has the fewest lolis.
A thousand times this. I have a very low tolerance for this, not only in my shooters, but even fighters, RPGs, etc.
Aisha

Post by Aisha »

I'll play anything, but I prefer organic the most -- not necessarily full-on Innerspace, but I also appreciate small organic touches to other themes like science fiction or fantasy.