Which shooter theme do you like best?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!

Which shooter theme do you like best?

Sci-Fi/Space (e.g. Gradius, Radiant Silvergun, etc.)
41%
Military (e.g. Twin Cobra, Strikers 1945, etc.)
18%
Fantasy/Mythology (e.g. Mahou Daisakusen, Guwange, etc.)
12%
Cute 'Em Up (e.g. Cotton, Twinbee, etc.)
4%
Steampunk (e.g. Progear, Steel Empire, etc.)
14%
Organic (e.g. X-Multiply, Apidya, etc.)
6%
Weird/Wacky/Hentai (e.g. Parodius, Choaniki, etc.)
5%

Total votes: 221

dessgeega

Post by dessgeega »

whoops, i'm new here! didn't mean to stir up an old debate.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Heh heh, no big deal, you'll learn the layout soon enough. :)
JBC

Post by JBC »

I voted for organic because it breaks away from the norm and tends to lead to interesting charachter designs. Most shmups that start out sci-fi end up organic in the end, though. Abadox sorely needs for someone to snatch up the rights and churn out a sequal - it'll never happen though.

My second choice would have been mythological - being such a big fan of Gynoug and Legendary Wings. Theirs nothing wierder looking than mixing greco-roman with cybernetics. That's actually the theme of one of my comic books that i hope to publish someday.
Xonatron

Post by Xonatron »

close call between space/sci-fi and military. in fact, a combination of both is what i'm hoping to do in my 2d shooter (see sig for videos).
Matthew Doucette, Xona Games
Score Rush Extended [PS4]: viewtopic.php?t=55520
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

wow, this is an old thread.

+1
I have no sig whatsoever.
MR_Soren

Post by MR_Soren »

I voted Military, but I really like variety and enjoy all the themes I've played.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

The games that make me go "wow" tend to be fantasy (Futari, Touhou, etc), so I voted that way. Other stuff looks great, but from what I've experience fantasy-themed games tend to incorporate more vibrant colors which is p cool in my book.

That said, Daifukkatsu looks amazing, if only because of the laser effects. also ikaruga froths style. Sci-Fi definitely has its moments.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Military is my general favourite. I prefer bullets and battlefields to lasers, starfields etc.

But I like a cross-pollination of shooter themes. R-Type Delta and ESPRade are broadly science-fiction and fantasy, but they're tempered. Delta's grimy industrial settings and ESPRade's ferocious, bloody destruction create a hard edge. The fantastical elements are more convincing when they relate to my world: aliens infesting dank sewers, or telekinetic energy ripping the roof off a building.

Conversely I like "realistic" games to have a little imagination without losing their grounding. Raiden DX / Battle Garegga bosses are monsters from mechanical hell, but they look grimly practical. You can imagine DX's giant walkers flattening your neighbourhood underfoot, then leaving an acrid football-field crater in the earth after blowing sky-high. Mechanical goliaths are more entertaining than real-world machines, but still believable and rewarding to blow off the face of the earth.

The above extends to ships, too. Delta's R13 Cerberus makes a lightning weapon look frighteningly viable. Raiden's switch to vertical thrusters during boss battles is practical and cool. ESPRade's psychic weapons are fantasy, but they have serious consequences when turned on real-world targets. Stuff like Gynoug, X-Multiply, and Flying Shark that devotes itself to one style is great too, but my specific favourites tend to bridge reality and fantasy.
Last edited by BIL on Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
power UP

Post by power UP »

I don't really care as long as it is colorful. DDP DOJ is an example of a game in which the athmosphere is just to dark imo :(
Never_Scurred

Post by Never_Scurred »

Military and Steampunk
voted for steampunk though.
"It's a joke how the Xbox platform has caught shit for years for only having shooters, but now it's taken on an entirely different meaning."-somebody on NeoGAF
Watch me make Ketsui my bitch.
Ozymandiaz1260

Post by Ozymandiaz1260 »

I voted military but now I wish I had gone with steampunk instead :(
Arvandor

Post by Arvandor »

Sci-Fi is definitely my favorite, but military and steam-punk are NOT far behind at all.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

lol steampunks

I'll take military or fantasy, space being a contender as well.

Of course it doesn't really matter so long as the game isn't a piece of crap.
escadrille

Post by escadrille »

Space. I loved everything spaceship related as a kid, but now shumps are the only thing I'm still into.

Military would be a close second, Strikers 1945-style.
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

Bugs and dinosaurs.
lgb

Post by lgb »

Abstract.
poodude

Post by poodude »

Weird and wacky for me. I love the parodius series!
jochen

Post by jochen »

A difficult question - because to every shooter-theme I know
at least one game that I love.

I think games with millitary-themes are often limited in the
design of the enemies - mostly you fight planes and tanks and
then bigger planes and bigger tanks. And sometimes a ship.

I would vote for a whacky theme with organic enemies ( how about a
parody of R-Type - like Parodius for Gradius ).

(in this thread I chose organic).

Jochen.
Octopod

Post by Octopod »

Voted Sci-Fi but it was hard to decide between that and military and cute em up(which i think Parodius falls into).

Edit: I just noticed this thread was started over 3 years ago lol.
lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

I'd like some pics that are examples of the different themes that are in this poll.
Pixel_Outlaw

Post by Pixel_Outlaw »

DonPachi and DoDonPachi could be considered fantasy military in some way.
Some of the best shmups don't actually end in a vowel.
No, this game is not Space Invaders.
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

I love this topic. There is another thread on it, and I used to bump it every year or so:
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... sc&start=0

CIT's categories are even better, though, than the ones in the thread above.

As for the question, I love cute 'em ups, horror, and fantasy. I'll take it that Shikigami no Shiro fits into the last category.

Where is CIT???!!!
No_not_like_Quake

Post by No_not_like_Quake »

I don't really have a preference but shooting walls of sticky snot that block your path is enjoyable.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I'm gonna have to go with "space". Just something about flying in a small starship in the cosmos just gets me all teared up.

That being said, I don't like it when the stages are too baren. I prefer it when you visit different worlds with different themes, along with flying in space. The Thunder Force games and some of the Gradius games(Gaiden in particular) fit the bill when it comes to settings.

However, I do love fantasy settings, steampunk, and stuff like ESP Ra.De. and Battle Garregga that's set in the near future or whatever.

Military type settings(1942) and Cute 'em up type games would have to be at the bottom of my list, but I do like some of their settings too. Just not a whole lot.

s/m
GhostGK

Re: Which shooter theme do you like best?

Post by GhostGK »

Space shooters all the way!
Special World

Post by Special World »

I love cute-em-ups, and wish more games were made in that style. Maybe some more hardcore games too. I'm also a fan of fantasy shooters, though I haven't played many. And as a kid I super loved the the more gross-out shooter bosses.
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

The fact that everyone chooses "space" over "fantasy" makes me want to destroy you all.

I hope your space ships explode.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Special World

Post by Special World »

I love spaceship shooters but if somebody came up to me and they were like "hey I'm gonna make a spaceship shooter" I would be like "how about you don't put it in space."

You can be more original than that. The only time I want to see a spaceship shooter is if we've entered a reality where every STG is a fantasy/cute-em-up/whatever and spaceship shooters are a refreshing change of pace, something that will happen never.
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
mamboFoxtrot

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

Someone should make a game that's literally all of these themes at once.
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Personally I don't like space ships as player characters. I don't really like to play as anything that doesn't have some sort of face and human figure. I prefer a humanoid player character, whether flying (Esp Series, Cybattler) or on foot (Guwange, Elemental Master).

Only problem with that is that it's very difficult to get the perspective, style, and animations just right. Like you either get these rectangular figures just lying down in mid air (most Touhou stuff), or you get these little heads and shoulders waddling around (any overhead stage in a Contra game).

The few that get it right are rad as fuck though. Cybattler, Guwange, Vacant Ark, Hollow World of God, etc. all have great looking humanoid player characters, and that alone puts their aesthetics on a whole other level for me (even if, as with HWG, the rest of the aesthetic is kinda awful. lol at those jpg bosses).
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.