Opinions on Segoku Ace pack for PS2

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
scrilla4rella

Opinions on Segoku Ace pack for PS2

Post by scrilla4rella »

*exits (4 year long) lurking mode*

I was just wondering what all you people think of the Sengoku Ace in the new Psikyo(sp?) collection.

I love Sengoku blade for SS to death and was wondering how the first one stacks up to the other vertical shooters in the company's cannon.

Do any of y'all think its worth it just for Sengoku Ace?

here's my shmup prefrence for anyone that cares.
Best Shmups system: Saturn; PC-engine
Best Shmups: Battle Garregga
Gate of Thunder > Lords (Winds) of Thunder
RS > Ikaruga

My tastes are actually pretty diverse. I love cave and R-type; Gradius at the same time and worship my PC-engine. But I do love my Psikyo shmups.

Thanks, love all of y'all
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

I really like it, but it isn't universally favored. For me this was a great set because I didn't own Blade. I'd say if you love Psikyo then you might want to think about it, but it is not quite up to the Strikers and Gunbird games.
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
Eugenics: you know it's right!
SHMUP sale page.
Balzac

Post by Balzac »

How are the conversions? Is TATE supported? Is there high score saving? Any extras?
Good luck or cry.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Blades are Horizontal games dude! :lol:
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

I wouldn't waste your time with this collection. Sengoku Ace is boring, and Marion is not in Sengoku Blade. Get the Saturn version of Sengoku Blade, and as far as Aces goes, there are far better Psikyo shmups out there.
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
Rob

Post by Rob »

Whoa, this is the first time I've seen dave say a game is boring. :shock:
as far as Aces goes, there are far better Psikyo shmups out there.
This is true. It plays almost exactly like Sonic Wings and Gunbird 1. Nothing original and pretty mediocre.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Balzac wrote:How are the conversions? Is TATE supported? Is there high score saving? Any extras?
Very good straight arcade ports/emulations, yes (for Ace, Blade is a horzie), yes, no.

I quite like Sengoku Ace. Not their finest hour, but it's solid Psikyo action. Blade is, of course, great.

And screw Marion. I understand she was heavily overpowered in the Saturn version so naturally those who can't make any progress in the game with the original cast favour her.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

yeah, i guess Sengoku Blade isn't the best Psykyo game ever but I just love the setting. The backgrounds are some of the best for psykyo next to zero gunner 2. The music is rad as well. You just can't hate on the bosses either.

I just get so pumped up by the boss music especially when I use koyori's(big breasted character) special bomb.

seriously, for it's time it was a very unique hori-shooter. It did the sideways vert thing way before Progear.
but yeah I guess the collection isn't worth it for just Ace. Oh well I'm sure ace is better than the original Zero Gunner (complete garbage)
Brian

Post by Brian »

I have the Ace PCB and it is hard to tell the diffrence between the console and the PCB. I am sure there are some minor quirks in the console version, but the game is so basic they are far from glaring.

Personally, I don't find Ace to be a world-beater, but it is a solid shooter. And, being that it is the first of the Psyiko games, it should be expected that what defines Psyiko games now was not yet defined. It is a perfect way to see the evolution of the company and their later titles.
system11

Post by system11 »

I like Ace a lot, it's pure. There's also a lot of imagination in the enemies and bosses, and some nice tunes. Somehow reminds me of MUSHA in places due to the oriental design enemies. Having played Blade to death, Ace was the main reason I bought this pack. It supports vertical monitors, if ruining your TV is your 'thing' (or you have an actual monitor).

Blade is brilliant of course.

Downsides: interlace. Fortunately since it's full frame rate we're not talking Metal Slug 3 eye destroying flicker, but you can tell.

Oh, and screw Marion - she wasn't in the arcade version.
Sundance

Post by Sundance »

Sengoku Ace never impressed me. I'll stick w/ a SS copy of Sengoku Blade. :wink:
"ooh, ahh, thats how all this starts, but then theres running and screaming" -LW:Jurrassic Park-
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Considering that you can get the PS2 pack new for less than Blaede for the SS used, I'd say get the PS2 one. You even get a free game with it that way! :wink:

Also, if you get one of the first pressings of the game (might be a little difficult now, but who knows) you get a superplay dvd too. The games run fine on the PS2, and Blaede is fantastic. I think Ace is fun, but not quite up to some of Psikyo's other games.

Go for it unless you've got the SS version of Blaede already...
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Cthulhu wrote:Also, if you get one of the first pressings of the game (might be a little difficult now, but who knows) you get a superplay dvd too.
No, no you don't. A superplay-dvd was originally planned, but it was scrapped.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
parodius

Post by parodius »

Yes, you do. I actually have it.

You can see the pack here (the replay DVD is in the white paper sleeve) :
http://violentken.site.voila.fr/echange/sengoku.JPG
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

parodius wrote:Yes, you do. I actually have it.

You can see the pack here (the replay DVD is in the white paper sleeve) :
http://violentken.site.voila.fr/echange/sengoku.JPG
The hell? I pre-ordered the game the moment NCSX started taking orders, why didn't I get one? Did you have to order it from Taito's online shop or something?

My videos
parodius

Post by parodius »

I bought it secondhand in Tokyo.

The pic is not mine, I can ask the guy (who is selling it on a french forum by the way) where he bought his.
system11

Post by system11 »

I got the DVD too, buying the game in a high street import shop in London.

Guess you were just unlucky.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Well, crud. As far as I can tell neither NCSX or Play-Asia ever stocked copies with the DVD.

Somebody sell me theirs.

My videos
system11

Post by system11 »

The only reason I don't give it to you for free, is because if I ever want to sell it, nutters like you who want the extras will pay more for it ;-)