Mamoru-kun Has Been Cursed - Western PS3 Release

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
cj iwakura

Re: Mamoru Something Something Cursed - Western Release

Post by cj iwakura »

Hopefully it gets as good a localization as Elminage did!
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
AntiFritz

Post by AntiFritz »

So that confirms that the ps3 version will be the one being localised. I really can't see this selling much considering the region free nature of the ps3. Everyone that already wanted it probably has it.
RegalSin wrote:Rape is very shakey subject. It falls into the catergory of Womens right, Homosexaul rights, and Black rights.
HydrogLox

Re: Mamorukun Curse!

Post by HydrogLox »

AntiFritz wrote:Everyone that already wanted it probably has it.
It depends on how much you value the convenience of the localization. But as I'm expecting a $29.95 PSN-only release I can't see many takers for this one.
Legendary Hoamaru

Post by Legendary Hoamaru »

I'm buying it.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

AntiFritz wrote:So that confirms that the ps3 version will be the one being localised. I really can't see this selling much considering the region free nature of the ps3. Everyone that already wanted it probably has it.
It wasn't the most hyped shmup when it came out and a lot of people probably didn't consider it worth the import fees. The arcade version's scoring bugs probably killed a lot of the interest in the game before the (fixed) ports were released. I grabbed the 360 version recently (for like 1,500 yen) and was pleasantly surprised... if anyone has a PS3 but hasn't tried Mamoru, I'd suggest grabbing it when it's localized.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
Pretas
Banned User

Post by Pretas »

I already own the PS3 port. Still, I'm curious if UFO has confirmed that their release will be digital-only?

"Mamorukun Curse!" is a bad title. Like "Akai Katana," most Americans who see that name on a list will shrug, pass over it and never bother to look further. Even "Mamoru Has Been Cursed!" would be more of an attention-getter.
cj iwakura wrote:Hopefully it gets as good a localization as Elminage did!
I should point out that this post is sarcasm. Elminage had a miserable localization, loaded with typos, awkward grammar and diction, and even chunks of Japanese text left in. If anyone is going to buy UFO's Mamoru just for the English translated story mode, it probably won't be worth it.
Last edited by Pretas on Fri May 31, 2013 5:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
adversity1

Post by adversity1 »

Would've liked to see "Curse you, Mamoru-kun!" personally...
We are holding the secret power of shmups.
AntiFritz

Post by AntiFritz »

I'm not familiar with how the ps3/psn is set up but is their the possibility that "Mamorukun Curse" is the shortened name? Like how for example "Castlevania Harmony of Despair" is also sometimes used interchangeably "Castlevania HD" within the xbox dashboard?
RegalSin wrote:Rape is very shakey subject. It falls into the catergory of Womens right, Homosexaul rights, and Black rights.
Pretas
Banned User

Post by Pretas »

No, that's the full title. You can see the game's logo in its PSN icon.

This would be a good opportunity to ask if you can only play individual stages in 16:9 mode. I haven't found a way to play the normal progression of stages outside of vertical mode, and it seems you can't play the prologue stage at all in 16:9.
Friendly

Post by Friendly »

Gee, what a dumb name that makes zero sense. Anything would have been better. For instance Mamoru's Curse.
"Hahah, Mamorucunt Curse!"

EDIT: Updated the first post with the new name and an explanation why it was chosen.
BIL

Re: Mamoru-kun Has Been Cursed - Western PS3 Release

Post by BIL »

It'll always be "Martin Has Been Cursed" to me. In fact I think I'll start referring to various Japanese STG protagonists by more Western-palatable pseudonyms. Kohtaro? More like Kenneth! Jason Wayne? More like John Wayne!
adversity1

Post by adversity1 »

Martha Herbert Sama
We are holding the secret power of shmups.
Nana

Post by Nana »

What an awful name. I'd still buy it if it got a physical release, though it seems like that's very very unlikely. Hopefully this just allows for a jap copy to be a bit cheaper, so I can just buy one of those.
KidKobun

Post by KidKobun »

An announcement trailer just went up on the UFO Interactive YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LulPEBa_dVk
I don't care what it's called, I'm just happy that it's finally coming to the US. :)
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Nice trailer - though I don't think I would have chosen pink polka-dots for my main advertising color-scheme!
HydrogLox

Post by HydrogLox »

Top-Down Shooter, Mamorukun Curse! for PlayStation®Network Announced!
UFO Interactive Games, a leading publisher of interactive entertainment, today announced their plans to release the top-down, vertical scrolling shooter, Mamorukun Curse! on the PlayStation®Network for the PlayStation®3 entertainment system on July 16, 2013 across North America.
Mamorukun Curse! will be available on the PlayStation®Network for the PlayStation®3 on July 16, 2013 across North America for $19.99. For more information on Mamorukun Curse! please visit http://www.ufointeractivegames.com.
Friendly

Post by Friendly »

Meh, PSN only?
KidKobun

Post by KidKobun »

Comes with all of the previously-released DLC too :D
Includes all previously released DLC from the original Japanese version:
o 2 Extra Netherworld Adventures Courses
o 2 Additional playable characters: Nowa and Rukino for use in Arcade Mode and Netherworld Adventures Mode
o Alternate Costumes for all 7 characters
Looks like this is similar with what G.rev did with Under Defeat HD
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

PlayStation®Network
All interest gone.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
KidKobun

Post by KidKobun »

Jeneki wrote:
PlayStation®Network
All interest gone.
LOL. Really, why? Personally, when a shmup makes its way to the west, I don't really care what platform it is released on or what medium (be it physical or digital). I'm just happy to see publishers give them some love, and I am more than happy to show my support with a purchase. Besides, it's nice to see another shooter on being released on the PS3.

EDIT: Also, retail space for video games that aren't AAA titles like Pokemon, GoW, or CoD is rapidly shrinking, so not every game--as much as we may want it to be--can be released as a physical, retail title. That having been said, we can't really blame the developer or publisher, all we have to blame for this, is ourselves for continuing to purchase every single iteration of Madden, CoD, etc. Not that I do, (personally, I love supporting underdog titles) but I'm just saying gamers in general. ;)
Last edited by KidKobun on Fri May 31, 2013 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KAI

Post by KAI »

Mamourukyun
I was hoping to play with Martin-kun. fuck this localization.
denpanosekai

Post by denpanosekai »

KidKobun wrote:
Jeneki wrote:
PlayStation®Network
All interest gone.
LOL. Really, why?
I already have the JPN PS3 LE. Would have bought it again retail, don't care for PSN.
Sugar Rush Games

Post by Sugar Rush Games »

I am disappointed, though not surprised, that it's not getting a physical release.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

I enjoy having a physical release of said shmups to reside on the gaming shelving for posterity. At best, it'd be residing on the ol' PS3's HDD instead if opting to DL the MK shmup from the USA region PSN site on day one of release.

Plus, UFO Interactive and SCEA can see how many folks will have DL'ed it on release.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

KidKobun wrote:LOL. Really, why?
I already have the 360 version, so I'm not going to double-dip on a non-physical release. If there wasn't already a physical version out there, I'd be more open to considering a digital release. Physical always gets my money over digital, even when it costs more.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Sugar Rush Games wrote:I am disappointed, though not surprised, that it's not getting a physical release.
Yeah, I woulda definitely snagged this if it was on a disc. As it stands I might surrender if it goes on sale at some point, otherwise I'm more tempted to import. Still, UFO does deserve some kudos for bringing over such an unlikely title, if nothing else.
Legendary Hoamaru

Post by Legendary Hoamaru »

It's only $20 though, how much of a sale are you looking for :P. I understand why people want physical releases but also understand why it doesn't happen as much with niche games anymore in this gaming climate. Seems like companies/consumers for niche games are in a lose/lose position unless they hop on the PC.

Grabbing it.
VixyNyan

Post by VixyNyan »

I'm already happy enough with the JP versions, both 360 and PS3, and listening to Yousuke Yasui's awesome music all day every day.
But if I'm in the mood (which I probably am), I might get the US version too, to see what the translation looks like. :lol:
And for trophies I guess......
Rebecca Loveheart - Love & Snuggles~ <3
[ TrueAchievements | PSN Profile | Youtube | LiveStreaming ]
Giest118: SDOJ is great and the port will also be great.
moh: play games. they're fun.
Pretas
Banned User

Post by Pretas »

My reaction is the same. Would have been willing to support a localized physical release, but if it's digital-only, I can't justify buying it twice.

Still would like to have this answered:
Pretas wrote:This would be a good opportunity to ask if you can only play individual stages in 16:9 mode. I haven't found a way to play the normal progression of stages outside of vertical mode, and it seems you can't play the prologue stage at all in 16:9.