shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:38 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3889 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 130  Next
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:01 am 

Frenetic wrote:
Which shmups allow for continues to be disabled in the menu? I'm thinking of putting having arcade pcbs as a live demo on freeplay, but don't want to have people just credit feed through the game.

Also Xbox 360 titles allow that in Score Attack mode, right?

--F
Ikaruga XBLA allows you to turn continues on and off.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:54 am 

Frenetic wrote:
Which shmups allow for continues to be disabled in the menu? I'm thinking of putting having arcade pcbs as a live demo on freeplay, but don't want to have people just credit feed through the game.

--F

At least for SDOJ, yeah I vaguely remember it doing that, just game over after the last life. No initial entry screen though.

There's some replay dialog afterwards though. I've been assuming first is a "save replay? yes/no" and if you hit no there's another that I guess is a "are you sure? yes/no" type of dialog. I think there's a separate option to disable replays and hopefully gets rid of that dialog but I never messed with it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:35 am 

In Saidaioujou, what game options does score attack mode allow you to change? I was under the impression that score attack simply ignored game settings altogether, but I'm able to open up the game settings menu and change things if I want.
In general for the Cave 360 ports, what score attack game options are changeable?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:41 am 

Frenetic wrote:

--F

All CAVE games can have continues turned OFF IIRC. And Score Attack won't allow continue, but does require online connection.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:00 am 

Did the circle (CO2 Pro) who did Flame Zapper Kotsujin and Garudius '95 ever go on to do anything of note for windows or any other system besides pc 98?

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:53 am 

some of the score attack modes allow continues. Deathsmiles, DoDonPachi Daifukkatsu, Mushihimesama HD. There may be more, but I know those ones let you continue in the score attack mode.

In Score Attack, you're forced to default settings. only things you can change are stuff like display, controls, and sound settings.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:59 am 

Quote:
Anyone have translations for the endings to DaiOuJou? I imagine the iOS Blissful Death port has 'em, doesn't it?

This was a couple of pages back, but yes, Blissful Death does have translated endings. My question's actually related to that port: What version of DaiOuJou is Blissful Death based on?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:38 pm 

How do i detach the wires from the buttons? There on pretty tight and i dont want to damage anything. Thank you

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:02 am 

Those kinds of connectors, spade connectors, just pull off. Grip tightly by the metal neck under the plastic boot and pull while gently wiggling.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:19 am 

Better to lever them off with a flat head screwdriver I think.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:08 am 

If I wanted to get a console that I want to play a lot of quality shmups on, what should I get?
Solo Shmup League #6: 19XX: The War Against Destiny | Solo Shmup League (SSL) main thread

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:10 am 

heisenbergman wrote:
If I wanted to get a console that I want to play a lot of quality shmups on, what should I get?

360. You get lots and lots of Cave game. And Qute Corporation, which is just as awesome.

Steam isn't a console but it's a good place to buy some good games, their library of quality shmups is pretty good and ever growing (Tales of Alltynex coming soon!).

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=44402 old thread where people helped me. Do not regret the purchase at all.

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:29 am 

X360 is a must for the newest titles. PS2 is another phenomenally good choice but you're limited to things released around the mid-2000's and before. It's probably a slightly cheaper way to go.

I have a 360 for sale if you're looking. :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:25 am 

aw man.

here I was hoping to hear people recommend PS3 since that was on top of my list :D

thanks though!
Solo Shmup League #6: 19XX: The War Against Destiny | Solo Shmup League (SSL) main thread

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:27 am 

Yeah, sadly the PS3 is pretty baron for shmups. Almost nothing gets ported there.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:33 am 

Oh well.

So basically now, I want the PS3 for Ni No Kuni, Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Journey, The Last of Us & Uncharted and I want the Xbox360 for shmups :|

I have a feeling I'll end up buying neither and stick with the PC.

Or maybe not. Maybe buy the PS3 and just stick with shmuping on the PC :D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:48 am 

PS3 has Under Defeat, Mamoru-kun, Ketsui, the Gundemonium games, Sine Mora, and probably a few others I'm not aware of.

So there's a few STG to play on it. Not as high of quality as some of the ones the 360 has though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:38 am 

Obviously your only solution is to get both. And a cab for PCBs.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:34 am 

heisenbergman wrote:
Oh well.

So basically now, I want the PS3 for Ni No Kuni, Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Journey, The Last of Us & Uncharted and I want the Xbox360 for shmups :|

Get your self a 60gb ps3 that is backwards compatible, your ps2 games will look sweet and you can play under defeat and ni no kuni etc

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:41 am 

Sarethums wrote:
heisenbergman wrote:
Oh well.

Get your self a 60gb ps3 that is backwards compatible, your ps2 games will look sweet and you can play under defeat and ni no kuni etc

I got a ps3 recently,it's virtually impossible to get one brand new that has backwards compatibility with ps 2 games as they were Apparently discontinued after 3 to 6 months.had to go bog standard.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:42 am 

Chaos Phoenixma wrote:
PS3 has Under Defeat, Mamoru-kun, Ketsui, the Gundemonium games, Sine Mora, and probably a few others I'm not aware of.
So there's a few STG to play on it. Not as high of quality as some of the ones the 360 has though.

PS3 actually has some exclusives over 360 now, like Psyvariar Complete and soon Gradius 5, maybe more later.
As for why backwards compatibility is gone, well, these PS3 rereleases of PS2 games probably have something to do with it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:03 pm 

Every time I see some new awesome PS3 exclusive, I look wistfully into the distance and tell myself, "at least I get Cave games." PS3 has Ketsui region free though, which makes me quite jealous.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:04 pm 

In Mushihimesama futari 360, what do the Y and X buttons do in the replay select menu? Also, what are the usual controls for replay viewing in most cave games?

In Muchi Muchi Pork and pink sweets, what do the save and load options in the options menu do? The game seems to auto-save everything, but the save/load options are very prominent in the options.

Similarly what do the save/load options in Saidaioujou do?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:29 pm 

ciox wrote:
As for why backwards compatibility is gone, well, these PS3 rereleases of PS2 games probably have something to do with it.

It actually has to do with the slimming down of the PS3. The fatties basically had a PS2 shoved into them along with the PS3 stuff.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:47 pm 

Quote:

SATURN: Most arcade ports and overall selection of quality titles (wide range of pricing, many from $20-30, $50, or +$100..)

360: Most cave and modern releases (worth it for cave alone, and rather affordable if you go with US/EU releases, but you will miss out on a few JPN exclusives)

TG16/PCE: Highest quality and quantity of console exclusives (wide range of price and availability... teh rarez!!)

Genesis/Megadrive: Great selection of exclusives and playable (not perfect, but still worthwhile) old-school ports.

Despite having collected for consoles for years, once you go jamma you don't go back. My true advice is to save for a cab and just get a couple of your favorites and become a master at them.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:33 am 

Has anyone here ever just sifted through ALL the shmups playable on MAME to weed out all the bad ones and determine the ones that are fun to play?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:37 am 

Sounds a bit too objective. Would inevitably piss someone off.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:38 am 

Squire Grooktook wrote:

???

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:45 am 

heisenbergman wrote:
Squire Grooktook wrote:

???
What one person finds "bad" another could potentially think is the best game ever. So you can't just weed out all the "bad" games.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:49 am 

AntiFritz wrote:
heisenbergman wrote:
Squire Grooktook wrote:

???
What one person finds "bad" another could potentially think is the best game ever. So you can't just weed out all the "bad" games.

Yeah. The most you could do is list all the games that have more than 3 euroshmup traits, but even than there would probably be disagreement.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3889 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 130  Next