shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum
 
* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:31 am View unanswered posts
View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3847 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:36 pm 



Joined: 05 May 2014
Posts: 1735
Chronological order of some of Astro Port's games? I already know Satazius, Steel Strider, and Zangeki Warp all take place in the same universe. I think Satazius takes place before Steel Strider and Steel Strider takes place after Satazius, since the villain of Steel Strider, Admiral Hiroko Nakaya, orchestrated the events of both games. She was responsible for the pirate takeover of the Agano from Satazius.
_________________
https://ginga-force.fandom.com/wiki/Ginga_Force_Wiki


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:31 pm 



Joined: 14 Jun 2019
Posts: 59
Why the hell is there no Tate mode for blast wind on the saturn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:00 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Posts: 4001
Location: Chicago, IL
It was never, ever designed for TATE to begin with. That's the reason. Like asking "why doesn't Raiden V have TATE?"

Admittedly, the scrapped arcade version of Blast Wind may have been meant for tate but it was canceled long before they scooped up the bits and pieces of code/graphics to make the Saturn version. There's no way to know if it even would have had it - mind you that Twinbee Yahho, despite being a vertical game with a vertical resolution, apparently was designed for 4:3 monitors and cannot do TATE.
_________________
Image
DEMON'S TILT [bullet hell pinball] - Music Composer || EC2151 ~ My FM/YM2612 music & more! || 1CC List || PCE-CD: The Search for Quality


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:57 am 



Joined: 14 Jun 2019
Posts: 59
Yeah it’s just with the side boarder info write on the side would work perfect for Tate,i do wonder if the Tate was scrapped for some reason,great game but would be better if Tate


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:09 am 


User avatar

Joined: 31 Aug 2009
Posts: 7598
Location: 東京都杉並区
It still wouldn't fit if they did that, the game area is too wide (like Raiden V).
_________________
Image
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:20 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 13 May 2020
Posts: 39
Location: São Paulo - Brazil
I decided my next 1cc goal is going to be DDP DFK (since it's already on steam).
So, I'd like to ask some quick and dumb questions, if possible:

1. Considering this is my first DDP game, should I start with Novice or go straight to normal? When I started with mushi I got my Novice (Original and Maniac) clear before going for the normal clears.
2. For survival purposes, I take it that B-Strong or C-Strong are the best ships?
3. What's the difficulty curve of the modes, from a easiest to hardest?

My initial plan was to 1-all normal and then move to other modes/loops/etc.

Thank you in advance!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:46 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 18 Apr 2019
Posts: 317
Location: NYC
Bawa wrote:
I decided my next 1cc goal is going to be DDP DFK (since it's already on steam).
So, I'd like to ask some quick and dumb questions, if possible:

1. Considering this is my first DDP game, should I start with Novice or go straight to normal? When I started with mushi I got my Novice (Original and Maniac) clear before going for the normal clears.
2. For survival purposes, I take it that B-Strong or C-Strong are the best ships?
3. What's the difficulty curve of the modes, from a easiest to hardest?

My initial plan was to 1-all normal and then move to other modes/loops/etc.

Thank you in advance!


DFK is definitely the most approachable DDP game. It's very much a "as hard as you want it to be" sort of game. Played purely for survival, it's one of Cave's easiest games. Played for score, it becomes much more challenging. I think you'd be fine to start on Normal.
_________________
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:45 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 03 Oct 2011
Posts: 4313
Location: Southern Ontario
Bawa wrote:
dfk


1. DFK's Novice Mode is a good challenge if you're a relative beginner to bullet hell shmups and haven't 1CC'd an arcade difficulty shmup before. Don't feel bad about starting on Novice and grabbing a clear there before you tackle the Normal game (hey, even try for a 2-ALL Omote or Ura clear if you want, but that's much harder!).

2. In DFK 1.5, B-Strong and C-Strong are both the easiest to clear with. B is a bit faster and preferred in my opinion, but you may prefer C's spread more. Note that they were both unlocked originally with a code input in the arcade version, and only Bomb and Power were available until you input the code. Bomb is obviously weaker, but may provide more of a challenge if you find Strong style too easy, and might be easier to score with as Strong tends to sweep the screen, making chaining trickier.

Power Style is always scoring oriented, getting perhaps the highest scores possible, but is the hardest to use for survival purposes due to the lack of resources.

3. I'm not sure how they rank, but for instance a 2-ALL Omote clear of Novice 1.5 isn't super insurmountable and might not be considered that much harder than a 1-ALL of the normal difficulty (the hardest part's actually triggering the loop).

Arrange B has a very dynamic difficulty that's as easy or as hard as you grind it to be (it's more of a score attack oriented mode rather than a survival/1CC mode), Arrange A is tricky until you get a handle of how its Power Style works, and then you can do a ton of cancelling in it, etc. Version 1.51 has tweaked scoring where chucking bombs at stuff is actually beneficial for scoring (scoring is very weird in this mode as you can tell from the boss fights in this high scoring replay.) Try each and focus on the ones that click with you that you enjoy.

Not sure about how Black Label compares, but its scoring is too focused on bullet cancelling for my tastes so I haven't put much time into it.
_________________
YouTube VideosTwitch1CCsSideLine game guide


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:02 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 13 May 2020
Posts: 39
Location: São Paulo - Brazil
Jonpachi wrote:
DFK is definitely the most approachable DDP game. It's very much a "as hard as you want it to be" sort of game. Played purely for survival, it's one of Cave's easiest games. Played for score, it becomes much more challenging. I think you'd be fine to start on Normal.


BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
1. DFK's Novice Mode is a good challenge if you're a relative beginner to bullet hell shmups and haven't 1CC'd an arcade difficulty shmup before. Don't feel bad about starting on Novice and grabbing a clear there before you tackle the Normal game (hey, even try for a 2-ALL Omote or Ura clear if you want, but that's much harder!).

2. In DFK 1.5, B-Strong and C-Strong are both the easiest to clear with. B is a bit faster and preferred in my opinion, but you may prefer C's spread more. Note that they were both unlocked originally with a code input in the arcade version, and only Bomb and Power were available until you input the code. Bomb is obviously weaker, but may provide more of a challenge if you find Strong style too easy, and might be easier to score with as Strong tends to sweep the screen, making chaining trickier.

Power Style is always scoring oriented, getting perhaps the highest scores possible, but is the hardest to use for survival purposes due to the lack of resources.

3. I'm not sure how they rank, but for instance a 2-ALL Omote clear of Novice 1.5 isn't super insurmountable and might not be considered that much harder than a 1-ALL of the normal difficulty (the hardest part's actually triggering the loop).

Arrange B has a very dynamic difficulty that's as easy or as hard as you grind it to be (it's more of a score attack oriented mode rather than a survival/1CC mode), Arrange A is tricky until you get a handle of how its Power Style works, and then you can do a ton of cancelling in it, etc. Version 1.51 has tweaked scoring where chucking bombs at stuff is actually beneficial for scoring (scoring is very weird in this mode as you can tell from the boss fights in this high scoring replay.) Try each and focus on the ones that click with you that you enjoy.

Not sure about how Black Label compares, but its scoring is too focused on bullet cancelling for my tastes so I haven't put much time into it.


Thank you both very much!
I'll go for 1-ALL the Normal and then probably go for a 2-ALL on novice, as I'm not very fond of looping in games.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:52 pm 



Joined: 30 Oct 2016
Posts: 215
Is Daifukkatsu Black Label identical in difficulty in both bomb and power modes? Same patterns, same bullet density?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:16 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 30 Apr 2015
Posts: 1254
Location: Indonesia
DFK BL has YGW's rank system and strong mode which is ultra hard
_________________
Image
CLEAR LIST | YouTube (WIP)


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:23 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Posts: 4001
Location: Chicago, IL
Strong mode has Ura loop 2 patterns, so if you pick that without knowing what you are getting in to, you will most certainly die.

The easiest way to get an ALL is to practice with Bomb Style I believe.
_________________
Image
DEMON'S TILT [bullet hell pinball] - Music Composer || EC2151 ~ My FM/YM2612 music & more! || 1CC List || PCE-CD: The Search for Quality


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:29 am 



Joined: 30 Oct 2016
Posts: 215
Still, my question is unanswered. Are Bomb and Power styles exactly the same difficulty (in terms of enemy bullets)?

(I know Strong is much much harder, it becomes obvious in the first 5 seconds of stage 1 :shock: )


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:09 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 03 May 2012
Posts: 398
What was that one game where you fought like...school supplies and each stage song was a take on the classic school bell jingle? It was an odd one.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:28 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 12652
Location: Wherever.
I think this is the one you're looking for.
_________________
"Fight me IRL if you want to man up so badly."
Glossary / Discussion / The Bizaar / Vasara HS


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:49 am 


User avatar

Joined: 23 Mar 2013
Posts: 26
Does anyone have a guide detailing the dip switch settings on my psikyo first generation board Sengoku Blade board?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:16 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 19 Feb 2008
Posts: 2885
Location: ND, USA
el_rika wrote:
Still, my question is unanswered. Are Bomb and Power styles exactly the same difficulty (in terms of enemy bullets)?

(I know Strong is much much harder, it becomes obvious in the first 5 seconds of stage 1 :shock: )


Bomb and Power should be the same.
_________________
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and pic/replay hosting! | My score history on RS


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:33 pm 



Joined: 30 Oct 2016
Posts: 215
CStarFlare wrote:
el_rika wrote:
Still, my question is unanswered. Are Bomb and Power styles exactly the same difficulty (in terms of enemy bullets)?

(I know Strong is much much harder, it becomes obvious in the first 5 seconds of stage 1 :shock: )


Bomb and Power should be the same.


Thanks. Been playing a few hours this weekend and it seems there's no difference i can spot either.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:28 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 18 Apr 2019
Posts: 317
Location: NYC
What are the differences between the Old and New versions of Thunderforce AC? Just picked it up on the Switch, and it has this toggle in the Settings menu.
_________________
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:10 am 


User avatar

Joined: 17 Oct 2007
Posts: 67
Location: Fairfax VA USA
what's that lone man doing at the cliffside on the left hand side of the screen at the beginning of DonPachi?
_________________
versionfiv.com


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:13 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 25 Jan 2005
Posts: 3791
AZA wrote:
Does anyone have a guide detailing the dip switch settings on my psikyo first generation board Sengoku Blade board?


This was posted elsewhere on the forum. Hopefully that matches your board.
_________________
"Amidst utter chaos lies strict order."
Image


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:45 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 01 May 2014
Posts: 2912
Location: Brooklyn NY
By chance does anyone know how to get the English translation working for Battle Traverse?
_________________
I'm glad you made it.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:29 pm 



Joined: 11 Feb 2012
Posts: 441
Location: US
Stevens wrote:
By chance does anyone know how to get the English translation working for Battle Traverse?


Are you talking about https://github.com/Yamsman/tversepatch-en ? (I didn't know there was a translation until now and this is all I could find)
Is the question about how to compile that or is it something else?
_________________
Sex, powerups, and rock 'n' roll.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:16 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 01 May 2014
Posts: 2912
Location: Brooklyn NY
You are 100% correct.

It says - Run make to compile the translation patch, but I have no idea what to do.

The game is perfectly playable as is, but it would be cool to get the patch installed.

If not no biggie. Either way I appreciate the reply!
_________________
I'm glad you made it.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:04 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 17 Nov 2011
Posts: 165
Location: NYC
Stevens wrote:
You are 100% correct.

It says - Run make to compile the translation patch, but I have no idea what to do.

The game is perfectly playable as is, but it would be cool to get the patch installed.

If not no biggie. Either way I appreciate the reply!

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/321 ... in-windows

I tried in Linux, but I got some errors.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:09 pm 



Joined: 11 Feb 2012
Posts: 441
Location: US
Stevens wrote:
You are 100% correct.

It says - Run make to compile the translation patch, but I have no idea what to do.

The game is perfectly playable as is, but it would be cool to get the patch installed.

If not no biggie. Either way I appreciate the reply!


I'm on Linux and don't have the tooling handy to cross-compile to Win. I'll do that over the weekend and drop a binary exe patcher here. Unless someone else beats me to it. I've put on my tinfoil hat, reviewed the code myself and it does what it's supposed to do and nothing else, but you'll have to trust me with the binary.
_________________
Sex, powerups, and rock 'n' roll.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:34 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 01 May 2014
Posts: 2912
Location: Brooklyn NY
.
_________________
I'm glad you made it.


Last edited by Stevens on Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:43 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 01 May 2014
Posts: 2912
Location: Brooklyn NY
Thank you both.

I've spent the last hour messing around with min32 but I think this above my pay grade.

kane wrote:
I'm on Linux and don't have the tooling handy to cross-compile to Win. I'll do that over the weekend and drop a binary exe patcher here. Unless someone else beats me to it. I've put on my tinfoil hat, reviewed the code myself and it does what it's supposed to do and nothing else, but you'll have to trust me with the binary.


That would be amazing! Whenever you get around to it:D
_________________
I'm glad you made it.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:10 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 03 Oct 2011
Posts: 4313
Location: Southern Ontario
I'd also really appreciate a copy of the binary, I didn't even realize there was a Battle Traverse translation available.
_________________
YouTube VideosTwitch1CCsSideLine game guide


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:25 am 



Joined: 11 Feb 2012
Posts: 441
Location: US
Okay, I don't know in what planet's version of gcc this was supposed to compile, and even after that it's doing curiously wrong things with pointers. I adapted the code, it should run fine now. Lmk if it doesn't.

And here you go folks: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oD6sXe ... mna-TptcC/

Drop all 4 four files into your Battle Traverse directory. Run "patch.exe". It'll run for a split second and flash a console screen, and that's it.

This creates:
1) "BattleTraverse_EN.exe" which contains the patched strings.
2) "data/en01.dxa" that contains patched images.

No original file will be modified. You can run the old exe for the full JP experience.

Note that the patch is very bare, see the github page for what's left untranslated. In particular untranslated boss bubbles will be empty, that's not a bug. Most menus are partially translated. Overall pretty useless if you ask me :? But a decent patching framework if anyone wants to give the rest a go.
_________________
Sex, powerups, and rock 'n' roll.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3847 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 12 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Space Pilot 3K template by Jakob Persson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group