shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum
 
* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:44 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3858 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 7:15 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 7626
Location: MD
I found out that Gunbird for Saturn has an anime intro and full voiced cutscenes. Does this make it the definitive version?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 5:06 am 


User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Posts: 4018
Location: Chicago, IL
The digital re-releases keep the voices and remixed music.
The Saturn version lacks a YOKO mode (instead having a wobble mode) though I suppose if you can TATE your TV it's probably the most responsive port - or at least as responsive as the steam version.
But does the intro play in TATE? now that is a question.
_________________
Image
DEMON'S TILT [bullet hell pinball] - Music Composer || EC2151 ~ My FM/YM2612 music & more! || 1CC List || PCE-CD: The Search for Quality


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 12:02 am 


User avatar

Joined: 25 Jan 2005
Posts: 3793
EmperorIng wrote:
The digital re-releases keep the voices and remixed music.
The Saturn version lacks a YOKO mode (instead having a wobble mode) though I suppose if you can TATE your TV it's probably the most responsive port - or at least as responsive as the steam version.
But does the intro play in TATE? now that is a question.


The anime intro in Saturn Gunbird is yoko only, but the original arcade intro does cycle when tate is selected (although, it appears to be streamed video and not the original sprite art). The only tate game on Saturn that I'm aware of having a vertical encoded intro fmv is Sonic Wings Special.
_________________
"Amidst utter chaos lies strict order."
Image


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 6:32 am 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 7626
Location: MD
I heard that it does have a Yoko mode similar to the one in Strikers 1945 where the aspect ratio is different and patterns were adjusted in an attempt to compensate. It's the PS1 version that's stuck with wobble mode.

Anyway, I might stick to the steam version, especially since I can still play it on a 55 inch screen. I do like the Saturn port of Strikers and the PS1 port of the sequel, though. I like that they have tate and the option to rotate the controls. Original 1 mode is not the worse Yoko I have seen. It reminds me of some of those earlier console ports.

Edit: Looks like I was mistaken. Only wobble and arcade mode in Saturn port.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 11:54 am 


User avatar

Joined: 19 Jul 2008
Posts: 2664
Location: Tokyo
BrianC wrote:
Does this make it the definitive version?


I think we can all agree that Mobile Light Force is the definitive version of gunbird.
_________________
<STG.1cc> 死ぬがよい <ACT.1cc>
Image Image


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 3:59 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 7626
Location: MD
ACSeraph wrote:
BrianC wrote:
Does this make it the definitive version?


I think we can all agree that Mobile Light Force is the definitive version of gunbird.


Lol


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 9:29 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 30 Apr 2015
Posts: 1267
Location: Indonesia
Is there a way to stop being anxious during full run attempt?
_________________
Image
CLEAR LIST | YouTube (WIP)


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 10:06 pm 



Joined: 11 Sep 2012
Posts: 523
copy-paster wrote:
Is there a way to stop being anxious during full run attempt?

Over-practice first. Know everything about the levels inside and out through save state practice. Then just stitch it together.

I usually don't get anxious now unless I have more resources than usual, and usually only in the last five minutes of the run.
_________________
1CC List


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 1:25 am 


User avatar

Joined: 19 Jul 2008
Posts: 2664
Location: Tokyo
copy-paster wrote:
Is there a way to stop being anxious during full run attempt?


Have a cigarette before your run. I'm totally serious here, a lot of my best runs come when I'm smoking because it puts me in a focused but also highly relaxed state of mind. Just don't go chain smoking or anything; I don't smoke to play shmups, rather I play shmups to enjoy my cigarette.
_________________
<STG.1cc> 死ぬがよい <ACT.1cc>
Image Image


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 1:51 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 18 Apr 2019
Posts: 327
Location: NYC
I've been working a bit on Lords of Thunder.

- What's your preferred starting level and armor?
- Do you change armor per-level a lot, or is there a go-to "favorite" that works best across most/all levels?
- It feels like "Power" is the best thing to invest in early on. Is that correct?
_________________
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 2:34 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Mar 2006
Posts: 12451
Location: Germany
Quote:
- What's your preferred starting level and armor?

I start with Cielom (bottom left), then Dezant (top left), Bosque (bottom right), Helado (bottom), Llmarada (right) and last Auzal (top). It honestly hardly matters. You'll max out your power and life bar within any stage you play first. My reason for Cielom is that it has a very nice flow and you don't require multiple bombs (which you don't have at this point).

Quote:
- Do you change armor per-level a lot, or is there a go-to "favorite" that works best across most/all levels?

Water for all stages except the last boss. Here Fire or earth. Fire is considerably stronger than Water (regular fire shot has the power of the sword attack with Water), but then again Water is really relaxing, since you basically cover the whole screen with your shots anyway. On the boss you need fire or earth to kill the 2nd phase with a single bomb and the stronger attack level makes the 3rd phase a much quicker affair.

Quote:
- It feels like "Power" is the best thing to invest in early on. Is that correct?

It gives you a slight boost at the very beginning of the first stage, but after that you'll be maxed out anyway, so all you really need is to restock on bombs and your shield (if you need it).

Buying the elixir (if needed, depending on your skills) is essential. You'll usually max out your credits (10,000) in the fifth stage, if make sure to buy the elixir before this point in the game or you you'll collect gems for nothing.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 11:20 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 18 Apr 2019
Posts: 327
Location: NYC
Thanks Fudoh! I am now just cruising through the game. I'm probably a day or two away from a 1CC, but this feels very much within reach.
_________________
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 2:18 am 


User avatar

Joined: 03 Feb 2013
Posts: 147
Is there any artwork that shows a closeup of the ship you pilot in Karous? i find it hard to visualize what the craft is supposed to look like just from the top down view, and it is kind of eclectic. I take it that it is some sort of crow mech.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 1:20 am 



Joined: 01 Sep 2018
Posts: 45
I've heard the the Saturn port of Shienryu saves scores. I can't seem to get that work. Does it work for you guys? FWIW I did change the battery and my other games save scores like they're supposed to.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:55 pm 



Joined: 04 Apr 2017
Posts: 161
I just checked mine, and yeah all my previous scores are there. Is it possible there is a setting you're setting that is making it not record high scores?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:30 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 19 Jul 2008
Posts: 2664
Location: Tokyo
Are there any differences between the 1P and 2P ships in Radiant Silvergun?
_________________
<STG.1cc> 死ぬがよい <ACT.1cc>
Image Image


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:32 am 


User avatar

Joined: 25 Jan 2005
Posts: 3793
ACSeraph wrote:
Are there any differences between the 1P and 2P ships in Radiant Silvergun?


Nope, they're identical. No weird little differences in speed, hitbox size, weapon damage or scoring.

Lord British wrote:
I've heard the the Saturn port of Shienryu saves scores. I can't seem to get that work. Does it work for you guys? FWIW I did change the battery and my other games save scores like they're supposed to.


Check the system memory manager. Is a save file being created?
_________________
"Amidst utter chaos lies strict order."
Image


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:59 am 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 7626
Location: MD
Is Shienryu's option menu in Japanese? Some games require a manual save, if I remember correctly.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:20 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 18 Apr 2019
Posts: 327
Location: NYC
Saturn's internal memory is pretty tiny. Maybe it's just full and doesn't have room for the save file?
_________________
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:06 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 03 May 2012
Posts: 406
Is there a specific name for the type of STG's like Thunder Force, Gley Lancer, Phalanx, and Whip Rush?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:41 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 25 Jan 2005
Posts: 708
Location: Virginia, USA
I don't think so. Console-Exclusive Horizontals? Consolzontals?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:44 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 12673
Location: Wherever.
I personally tend to think of those sorts of games as "Blast-em-Ups", though that term technically refers to any shmup that lacks a noteworthy scoring system, as opposed to any overarching "style" beyond that.
_________________
"Fight me IRL if you want to man up so badly."
Glossary / Discussion / The Bizaar / Vasara HS


Top
 Online Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:09 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 18 Apr 2019
Posts: 327
Location: NYC
Anyone got recommendations for "best" companions to pick in Air Zonk? I just started working on it, and I'm not sure if I should be swapping each stage or if there's one that's just known to be the best.
_________________
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:39 am 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 7626
Location: MD
Jonpachi wrote:
Saturn's internal memory is pretty tiny. Maybe it's just full and doesn't have room for the save file?


yeah, I definitely recommend an official JP power memory cartridge for a JP system since they are usually cheaper, though it's not recommend for use along with a Action Reply since power swapping is not good for the cart slot. It might also be best to wait for the shipping situation to clear up before ordering one. The official power memory cards are compatible with all region systems and are essential for games with larger saves. I doubt Shienryu's save would be very large, though.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:38 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 13 May 2020
Posts: 41
Location: São Paulo - Brazil
Can anyone please help me with a Mushihimesama 1.0 Maniac quick question:

Best way to deal with these damned bugs?

Spoiler: show
Image


They are turning out to be the biggest road blocker for me. I can get to stage4 with 4 or 5 life consistently but I always get kinda screwed by these bugs.

Specifically when there's a lot of them right before the midboss.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:26 am 


User avatar

Joined: 25 Jan 2005
Posts: 3793
Bawa wrote:
Can anyone please help me with a Mushihimesama 1.0 Maniac quick question:

Best way to deal with these damned bugs?

Spoiler: show
Image


They are turning out to be the biggest road blocker for me. I can get to stage4 with 4 or 5 life consistently but I always get kinda screwed by these bugs.

Specifically when there's a lot of them right before the midboss.


Those enemies predominantly fire a tap pattern but when you get assault by 4 of them, there's a great potential for getting crossed up. The simplest solution is just bomb. The midboss is where you can rapidly increase your main hit counter so don't worry about any minor score counter loss at those large beetles.
_________________
"Amidst utter chaos lies strict order."
Image


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:41 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 13 May 2020
Posts: 41
Location: São Paulo - Brazil
Kiken wrote:
Bawa wrote:
Can anyone please help me with a Mushihimesama 1.0 Maniac quick question:

Best way to deal with these damned bugs?

Spoiler: show
Image


They are turning out to be the biggest road blocker for me. I can get to stage4 with 4 or 5 life consistently but I always get kinda screwed by these bugs.

Specifically when there's a lot of them right before the midboss.


Those enemies predominantly fire a tap pattern but when you get assault by 4 of them, there's a great potential for getting crossed up. The simplest solution is just bomb. The midboss is where you can rapidly increase your main hit counter so don't worry about any minor score counter loss at those large beetles.


Thanks! I tried some tap dodging and it went better than my other attempts. Guess I'll stick to bombing!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:23 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 01 Apr 2009
Posts: 1434
Location: England
Is Spriggan supposed to get stuck at the end of the credits after you've cleared it?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:37 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 18 Apr 2019
Posts: 327
Location: NYC
Mero wrote:
Is Spriggan supposed to get stuck at the end of the credits after you've cleared it?


Yeah, a lot of games on the PC Engine seem to do that (force a console reset at the end). If I remember right, Spriggan also removes your score from the screen as soon as the final boss dies, which makes it such a chore to get a screenshot of your personal best.
_________________
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:25 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 01 Apr 2009
Posts: 1434
Location: England
Jonpachi wrote:
Mero wrote:
Is Spriggan supposed to get stuck at the end of the credits after you've cleared it?


Yeah, a lot of games on the PC Engine seem to do that (force a console reset at the end). If I remember right, Spriggan also removes your score from the screen as soon as the final boss dies, which makes it such a chore to get a screenshot of your personal best.


I checked earlier on and it did manage to save my score in the options screen even though I'd had to exit out of the game, this is on PCE Mini though.

Incidentally I cleared Ys I&II today and that does the same thing, had to close it down.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3858 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BulletMagnet, leodash and 14 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Space Pilot 3K template by Jakob Persson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group