shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:59 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3612 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 117, 118, 119, 120, 121
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:46 am 

That explains a lot.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:26 am 

Are there any other games with a buzzing mechanic like Shiki or Psyvariar or Sisters Royale?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:35 pm 

On the Strategy board, there is a Strategy Index topic containing a megathread of all strategy topics. It also mentions to PM spadgy if there are any omissions or errors.

I pm'd him back in November since I wanted to possibly add some more guides in the near future for games I've spent a lot of time on, but he never got my message, and the original owner of the topic hasn't been on the forum for 2+years. Are there any mods that would be able to update that specific topics, and what information is needed in order to do so?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:57 pm 

+1 to maximo's request, although I do not envy anyone with the task of collecting all the new threads

OK, so I'd love tips on how to approach Psikyo games. Part of my problem, surely, is attempting one of their hardest games in Dragon Blaze. I feel like there might still be something basic I'm overlooking, though. I bounce between thinking "maybe this is possible with a lot of practice" and then thinking it's just far too above my skill level.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:19 pm 

^I'm no Psikyo pro, but I enjoy their games and did manage to clear the first loop of Sengoku Ace back when I was still pretty new to the genre.

The first takeaway was that Psikyo games are very manic. The order of things might change a bit, but the boss attacks always have the same spacing on the screen. The attacks are also so fast you will never be able to dodge them all on reaction. There is a specific safe position or strategy for each attack that will work every time you play once you know it. I was literally using the background or my score gauge to pre-position myself for certain attacks. The best way to figure those out is by using save states imo.

The other big thing about Psikyo is that you should macro-dodge whenever possible, unlike a typical bullet hell. Your hitbox is huge, so you aren't meant to weave through the gaps in patterns (even if they look very doable by the standards of other games). Just fly around them completely when you can.

It might help to start with something easier. I wrote a guide specifically for Psikyo beginners getting the 1-ALL in Sengoku Ace of you are interested. Learn that to get a feel for Psikyo, and then if you want to go further Hagane has an extremely detailed guide up for Sengoku Blade that could take you all the way to the 2-ALL with dedication.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:35 am 

I try my best to macro dodge as it is, but I suspect there probably are moments where I try to weave through a pattern and don't realize I'm doing so before it's too late. Thinking more about it, my two biggest problems are that 1) the scoring is so captivating to me it's hard not to see how well I can do and 2) the fact bombs don't make you invulnerable like most other games has me hesitating to use them in the first place.

I guess if I trained myself to be more survival based, I can get further and then try to score at a later time. Bit of a shame one of my favorite scoring systems happens to be so brutal, although I guess that will make it more rewarding if I ever do get a decent score.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:51 am 

Could someone please tell me what this game is?

I'm looking at selling off a few pcb's and came across this in my pile.

Cheers.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:53 am 

That's Great Mahou Daisakusen, aka Dimahoo. Nice board btw! :smile:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:35 pm 

Thank you

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:37 pm 

blossom wrote:
2) the fact bombs don't make you invulnerable like most other games has me hesitating to use them in the first place.

With Psikyo games you should pre-plan your bomb points. It's really ineffective to use them on reaction to cover your mistakes. Make them a part of your route for attacks that consistently give you trouble.

I can understand your great desire to score, but I personally recommend learning the survival routes first. It will make you more confident when you start building a scoring route. That applies to any game really.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:42 am 

A bit of a different question here; more like a ‘missed connection’
In summer 2019 I went to SouthEast Game Exchange in SC and I met a guy there that brought a AstroCity cabinet with Mushihimesama Futari installed. This was my first time playing futari, so we talked for a bit and he showed me though some parts of the game. He was a really chill dude (not in the photo) and he told me his username on shmups forum, but I wasn’t on the forums yet at that point, and I unfortunately lost his information.
Any information or suggestions on how to find who this was would be appreciated.

Some of the other things that he mentioned is that he also streams on twitch, and that he has a few other PCBs, including Mahou Daisakusen or Great Mahou Daisakusen, I can’t remember which one.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:54 am 

maximo310 wrote:
On the Strategy board, there is a Strategy Index topic containing a megathread of all strategy topics. It also mentions to PM spadgy if there are any omissions or errors.

I pm'd him back in November since I wanted to possibly add some more guides in the near future for games I've spent a lot of time on, but he never got my message, and the original owner of the topic hasn't been on the forum for 2+years. Are there any mods that would be able to update that specific topics, and what information is needed in order to do so?

That thread hasn't been updated since incognoscente left, 7 or 8 years ago.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3612 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 117, 118, 119, 120, 121