Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
PedroMD

Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

Post by PedroMD »

Thanks BareknuckleRoo, I managed to make it work with AutoHotKey (mapping the keys directly to the joypad buttons, so no need for J2K, and running AHK as Admin). Autofire really makes the game even m ore enjoyable.
1CC
RegalSin wrote:Then again, SNES was under the Nintendo regime, back when buying panties and school girl outfits was normal for a young or older man.
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

BareknuckleRoo wrote:snip
Strangest thing. Using that I managed to get the auto working outside the game. Pressing the button creates a rapid string of zzzzz's in notepad, but still doesn't work in game. The strangest thing is, the key remap is actually working in the game, but the auto doesn't work. I have Z assigned to a button that usually does nothing, and it registers with the game, but still won't auto. I have also both the script and game running as admin.

I'm using a super nes pad by the way. That and a ps3 controller. Tried both but have gotten the same issue.

Here's the script I'm using right now if you don't feel like giving up lol
Joy2::
Send {z down}
SetTimer, WaitForJoy2, 30
return

WaitForJoy2:
if not GetKeyState("Joy2")
{
Send {z up}
SetTimer, WaitForJoy2, off
return
}
Send {z down}
return
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
PedroMD

Post by PedroMD »

Yeah, that happened to me too. I forgot to mention I moved the "Send {z up}" line out of the brackets. Like this:

Code: Select all

WaitForJoy2:
Send {z up}
{
This should fix the autofire.
1CC
RegalSin wrote:Then again, SNES was under the Nintendo regime, back when buying panties and school girl outfits was normal for a young or older man.
Squire Grooktook

PedroMD wrote:Yeah, that happened to me too. I forgot to mention I moved the "Send {z up}" line out of the brackets. Like this:

WaitForJoy2:
Send {z up}
{
This should fix the autofire.
You mean like this

WaitForJoy2:
Send {z up}
{
    SetTimer, WaitForJoy2, off
    return
}
Still not working for some reason. Really weird since the script is working, just not the auto.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
PedroMD

Post by PedroMD »

Yeah, the rest of the code was implied. This is weird, this was the only change I made to the script and the Auto worked fine. Did you try reloading the script after editing it?
1CC
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Joy2::
Send {z down}
Try putting a dollar sign and asterisk in front of the Joy2, like $*Joy2:: so that this adds the following modifiers to the hotkey you're setting up:
* - Wildcard: Fire the hotkey even if extra modifiers are being held down. This is often used in conjunction with remapping keys or buttons.
$ - This is usually only necessary if the script uses the Send command to send the keys that comprise the hotkey itself, which might otherwise cause it to trigger itself. The exact behavior of the $ prefix varies depending on operating system:

On Windows NT4/2k/XP or later: The $ prefix forces the keyboard hook to be used to implement this hotkey, which as a side-effect prevents the Send command from triggering it. The $ prefix is equivalent to having specified #UseHook somewhere above the definition of this hotkey.
I remember needing to add both to prevent holding down the Z button from registering as me simply holding down Z, and to keep the controls from getting messed up when I hit shift or something, dunno. It could be that when you hold down Joy2, the game is sending tapped z inputs and registering you holding down Joy2 at the same time, thus preventing the tapping from registering? I don't know.

Okay, just plugged in an Xbox 360 controller, A is Joy1 (shot) and B is Joy2 (bomb), will play around with this to get auto working. Something I just learned: apparently you can't send joystick inputs via autohotkey or remap one joystick button to another like you can with keyboard inputs.

Worse comes to worse, joytokey natively supports autofire if I remember...
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Okay, think I figured out what's happening. When you set a joystick button to act as a hotkey in autohotkey, if the game you're playing already detects a gamepad, it will have priority over that button. I couldn't get autofire working at all with Joy1, 2 or 3 on a 360 pad (A, B and X) because ChoRenSha detects them and assigns them to shot, bomb and pause, but on a whim I tried changing all the assignments in your autofire script from Joy1 to Joy4, which ChoRenSha doesn't do anything with (the Y button on a 360 pad) and autofire works fine. It's not an issue with your script (if it sends Z repeatedly outside the game it works fine) it's that AutoHotKey isn't stopping the Joy1 press from registering as itself, so it's tapping the Z button while holding down Joy1... so no autofire.

http://www.autohotkey.com/docs/KeyList.htm
Also note that the pressing of joystick buttons always "passes through" to the active window if that window is designed to detect the pressing of joystick buttons.
Doesn't look like Autohotkey will get around this issue. :( Best you can do is map your gamepad's autofire button to Joy4 or higher, buttons which aren't detected or used by Cho Ren Sha, so you'll have a Shot, Bomb, Pause and Auto Shot as your 4th button. It's not an issue with the script, it's an issue with AutoHotKey not stopping the game from registering the joystick inputs as the joystick inputs. Otherwise, yeah, your script with Pedro's fix works fine. This should give you autofire on whatever is Joy4 and will work in ChoRenSha...
$*Joy4::
Send {z down}
SetTimer, WaitForJoy4, 20
return

WaitForJoy4:
Send {z up}
if not GetKeyState("Joy4")
{
SetTimer, WaitForJoy4, off
return
}
Send {z down}
return
Last edited by BareKnuckleRoo on Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:53 am, edited 5 times in total.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

Been playing a bit of Psyvariar R (got the JP PSN version). There's a button for Bomber and Short Bomb. Can anyone tell me in detail what the difference is and what situation I would want to use a short bomb rather than the standard bomber?
<STG.1cc> 死ぬがよい <ACT.1cc>
ciox

Post by ciox »

ACSeraph wrote:Been playing a bit of Psyvariar R (got the JP PSN version). There's a button for Bomber and Short Bomb. Can anyone tell me in detail what the difference is and what situation I would want to use a short bomb rather than the standard bomber?
A normal bomb gives you more invincibility and damages everything but it disables your grazing ability for a long period as well, also erases all bullets which you might have wanted to graze. A short bomb not only allows you to keep grazing, it actually increases your graze radius to a huge size very briefly, usually giving you a lot of energy very quickly.
Short bombs are best used during bosses if you don't have enough energy saved up to jump into one of their big grazeable attacks and during the Danger stages to rack up points from grazing (you get 5000 points for each graze in those stages, before the boss anyway, but grazing is difficult because you don't level up as much, this is why the pros shortbomb so much there)
Last edited by ciox on Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Squire Grooktook

BareknuckleRoo wrote:snip
Dang, still nothing.

I'm going to try switching to my older pc and maybe play around with different controllers, see if I can get any luck. Thank you so much for all your help.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Squire Grooktook wrote:I'm going to try switching to my older pc and maybe play around with different controllers, see if I can get any luck. Thank you so much for all your help.
What button on your SNES controller is mapped to Joy4? Have you tried changing your script to look for Joy4 instead of Joy1 or 2, loading the script as admin, and running ChoRenSha? If it detects your controller it shouldn't interfere at all with button 4 if you use that as your autofire button, and it'll at least give you an autofire button, even if it's not the one you wanted. I guess you can just resort to keyboard play too... :(

If all else fails, JoyToKey should be able to allow you to setup autofire with your controller, though. See: http://www.oneswitch.org.uk/2/I/JoyToKey/JoyToKey.htm
Squire Grooktook

BareknuckleRoo wrote:
Squire Grooktook wrote:I'm going to try switching to my older pc and maybe play around with different controllers, see if I can get any luck. Thank you so much for all your help.
What button on your SNES controller is mapped to Joy4? Have you tried changing your script to look for Joy4 instead of Joy1 or 2, loading the script as admin, and running ChoRenSha? If it detects your controller it shouldn't interfere at all with button 4 if you use that as your autofire button, and it'll at least give you an autofire button, even if it's not the one you wanted. I guess you can just resort to keyboard play too... :(

If all else fails, JoyToKey should be able to allow you to setup autofire with your controller, though. See: http://www.oneswitch.org.uk/2/I/JoyToKey/JoyToKey.htm
Yeah, I tried different buttons, and the joy2key version doesn't work either. Ps3 didn't work with this earlier, but maybe with some of the new fixes to the action script I got here, it'll work. I'll let you know if I get it working.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
heisenbergman

Post by heisenbergman »

Is it worth it to find a way to vertically orient my TV (a spare one) for shmups? :D

I would imagine that getting it to display bigger and without black spaces on either side might be a better gaming experience, but is that actually the case?
chempop

Post by chempop »

heisenbergman wrote:Is it worth it to find a way to vertically orient my TV (a spare one) for shmups? :D

I would imagine that getting it to display bigger and without black spaces on either side might be a better gaming experience, but is that actually the case?
Once you go Tate... :mrgreen:

Seriously it's pretty fantastic. Just learn the safety precautions before you start juggling CRTs. Unplug for 5-10 minutes before and after rotating, be GENTLE laying the set down, even one small bump can knock the internals around resulting in a screwy image.

What type/size TV are you currently using? What sort of dedicated vertical set do you plan on using?
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
heisenbergman

Post by heisenbergman »

Well, we have an old-ish 32" LG flatscreen. I could connect my laptop to it via HDMI, then find a mount for it that enables me to rotate it such that it's oriented vertically, then just configure MAME to display as necessary... I would imagine that should be all that's needed to do :)
chempop

Post by chempop »

Quite possibly. I'm the last person to talk to about LCD flat screens or mame.
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

LCD screens shouldn't be as sensitive as tubes to rotate or touch: hell there's huge rotated LCD screens at the eatery in the local mall and airport.

Apart from that, yeah HDMI + mount should do the trick. Doesn't take much to get MAME or even Windows to rotate on newer machines, and it really is better for verts.
mosey

Post by mosey »

heisenbergman wrote:Well, we have an old-ish 32" LG flatscreen. I could connect my laptop to it via HDMI, then find a mount for it that enables me to rotate it such that it's oriented vertically, then just configure MAME to display as necessary... I would imagine that should be all that's needed to do :)
Don't forget the viewing angle! My 5:4 Dell was perfect, until the tate.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Hey guys, remember the time that Christopher Columbus saved all the people in the Bahamuts (the modern-day Bahamas, aka outlying island territories of Japan) from the demons? He accomplished this by trapping them in his mechanical bitcoin miner. That's also how Europe got rich - demon slaves with really pointy green teats mining bitcoins forever.

I also like the part where he saves that Japanese temple - it was stranded because its ghost gas was escaping. So noble...so...gyo.

http://www.unseen64.net/wp-content/gall ... nes-04.jpg
mosey

Post by mosey »

Does Under Defeat (DC) have a high score reset aside from deleting the VMU save?
shmuppyLove

Post by shmuppyLove »

Why are Guwange PCBs still so expensive?

The game has been emulated in MAME for quite some time (maybe not 100% perfect, but I've played both and they seem pretty close), and there is a very good 360 version available with the 2 additional modes.
Axelay

Post by Axelay »

Thunderforce gold pack 2 or thunderforce v on the saturn ?
What are décent prices for them ?
Cheers
Arms installation complete Good luck
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

If I buy the Mushihimesama BL DLC, is the flash freeze bug isolated to the black label modes, or does it leak into the standard 1.5 modes too?
Furry Fox Jet Pilot

Post by Furry Fox Jet Pilot »

1)Is there an actual storyline for G-Stream G2020?
2)Could the game be considered a spin-off in the Raiden series, since it was made by the staff that worked on the Raiden Fighters series?
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

cave hermit wrote:If I buy the Mushihimesama BL DLC, is the flash freeze bug isolated to the black label modes, or does it leak into the standard 1.5 modes too?
It's not guaranteed to happen if you download the DLC, but if it does (and it's not that bad), it happens in all modes. You can avoid this (apparently) by installing the DLC to a flash drive that's plugged into one of the USB ports.
nZero

Post by nZero »

Emo Fox Jet Pilot wrote:2)Could the game be considered a spin-off in the Raiden series, since it was made by the staff that worked on the Raiden Fighters series?
Only the pixel artist/spriter. Which would make way too many things (games/movies/comics/etc) spinoffs of way too many other things if all they had to do was share an artist to be related.
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

This has been confusing me for awhile; is the only difference between 360 mode and arcade mode in Mushihimesama Futari the graphics, or are there gameplay changes?
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Emo Fox Jet Pilot wrote:1)Is there an actual storyline for G-Stream G2020?
2)Could the game be considered a spin-off in the Raiden series, since it was made by the staff that worked on the Raiden Fighters series?
I don't know offhand, but I recall that Triangle Service's official "story" for Trizeal was basically "use your imagination", so if it didn't have one at all I wouldn't be too surprised, heh.
This has been confusing me for awhile; is the only difference between 360 mode and arcade mode in Mushihimesama Futari the graphics, or are there gameplay changes?
To the best of my knowledge it's just the visuals, but I believe that there WERE a handful of small changes (mostly minor bugfixes) between Arcade and 360 modes in Espgaluda II, so I might have missed something.
oboewan42

Post by oboewan42 »

BulletMagnet wrote:
cave hermit wrote:This has been confusing me for awhile; is the only difference between 360 mode and arcade mode in Mushihimesama Futari the graphics, or are there gameplay changes?
To the best of my knowledge it's just the visuals, but I believe that there WERE a handful of small changes (mostly minor bugfixes) between Arcade and 360 modes in Espgaluda II, so I might have missed something.
Not sure about EspII, but in Futari it's only cosmetic changes.

Deathsmiles, however, has slightly altered slowdown in some spots, and in 360 mode you're not restricted as to how many stages you can play at each rank (in Arcade mode, you're limited to two Rank 1 stages, and you have to play at least two stages at Rank 3 or 999, but in 360 mode you can rank-1 the whole game if you wish)

Now, my question: what's the default control layout for the Saturn version of Thunder Force V?
i'm bad at video games
AntiFritz

Post by AntiFritz »

Espgaluda 2 360 mode also is missing the gem glitch.
RegalSin wrote:Rape is very shakey subject. It falls into the catergory of Womens right, Homosexaul rights, and Black rights.