Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
ShootyShoot

Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

Post by ShootyShoot »

BIL wrote:
ShootyShoot wrote:Hi there, any experts here know what was the 1st Arcade shmup with rapid fire?

I've been playing Dangerous Seed and that's from 1989. I'm talking about turbo-style rapid fire, where button-mashing is pointless. Star Force (1984) has autofire, but is slower than button-mashing.
UPL's Omega Fighter Special (1989) has some seriously hardcore chainsaw autofire by default, it's amazing. :cool:

Also has ESPGaluda-styled bullet time, and Shikigami no Shiro-prefiguring Buzz scoring. Just a preternatural affair all-around.
Oh wow! UPL always put emphasis on scoring systems. Nice... That's from September 1989. Dangerous Seed is from December 1989.. Anything older? The Vulcan power-up from Thunder Cross (1988) when maxed has rapid autofire, but doesn't fill the screen like the aforementioned.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Thanks Ghegs, Pegboy! That's a very kind offer, Ghegs - I couldn't go for it at the moment, unfortunately, but I'll try to get back to you about it! :)
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

I'm getting back into Mushihimesama, and playing it on Switch.

I got really bogged down in worrying about fire-rate and maximizing score back in the day. I was playing on the old PS2 version then, and ended up just spending a ton of cycles restarting and stressing all that crap. I just want to focus now on a basic survival clear.

Given that, what fire-rate and shot type do we recommend?
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
StarLightMoonLight

Post by StarLightMoonLight »

Do the Game Tengoku and Gunbird 2 ports on the Switch suffer from any significant input lag? They're done by City Connection which is why I'm suspecting this. I've tried researching this online but can't find any significant info.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

StarLightMoonLight wrote:Do the Game Tengoku and Gunbird 2 ports on the Switch suffer from any significant input lag? They're done by City Connection which is why I'm suspecting this. I've tried researching this online but can't find any significant info.
Gunbird 2's lag has become a meme at this point, though I believe it was the least laggy of all the City Connection Switch Psikyo Collection games.

Electric Underground has a database of test results here:

https://theelectricundergr.wixsite.com/ ... gr/blank-2

For what it's worth the PS4 ports that just recently hit are reported to be slightly less laggy. I put around 80 hours into Switch Gunbird 2 so it's not like it's in any way unplayable. But it did end up being the game that made me care about lag for the first time in my life and shell out for a Sega Saturn, low latency monitor & OSSC (A+ decision, would make again). So take that as you will.

I also have Game Tengoku on Switch (digitally, *looks sideways at Dispatch games*). Offhand I'd say yes it has lag, though I don't have the cyborg visual cortex necessary to tell you how much. Whether it's significant will really depend on your tolerance, but I didn't find it a problem. It's a really charming update of the game overall, and the caravan mode is a blast.

Ultimately I've enjoyed both a lot, and I'd still say both are well worth owning unless you're really lag-sensitive.
SPM

Post by SPM »

Is "The End" (1980) by Konami properly dumped on MAME?

I've seen 2 versions: one where the mothership/UFO disappears and you can't kill it (this is the worst case of course) and then the ROM I was playing that seemed to work fine BUT after certain "loop" (3rd or 4th, not sure) the game won't end even if the enemies complete the word END, it'll just continue until you run out of lives (if they complete it earlier, it ends, but after certain point that mechanic doesn't work anymore)
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
NYN

Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Threat

Post by NYN »

Just found the secret entry to a bonus zone in Gradius PCE Moai Zone be sheer suicidal diving. :P Fun.

So, my question is: Is there a compile file on the bonus stages for all the G games here on shmps station?
Yes, of course, I used the search, but couldn't nail it.
Any?
"I've transmuted into a super being. I'll proof it by killing you." -NGIII ( words to kill by )
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Jonpachi wrote:Given that, what fire-rate and shot type do we recommend?
I seem to recall that the straight-ahead shot is considered the easiest to clear with, though I never fiddled around much with shot rates and whatnot; I was honestly under the impression that that stuff mostly affected scoring in Maniac/Ultra. I think you can increase damage by using the "regular" and "rapid" shot buttons in tandem somehow, though I might be confusing Mushi with a different game.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

If you lose all your lives and get a Game Over on the Dramatic Mode of Sol Cresta, can you just continue where you last left off on a certain stage?
Licorice

Post by Licorice »

Has anyone 1CC'd Serei Senshi Spriggan on Unbelievable?

I can't find any videos of such a feat on Youtube, nor could I find any claims of doing so searching "Spriggan unbelievable" in the forum search.

Maybe it breaks down at that difficulty level? I know that's a complaint about e.g. Winds of Thunder - at the highest difficulties, some patterns become undodgeable and you have to tank bullets. In Spriggan's case, you have weapons that function as shields due to their bullet cancelling, as well as invulnerability on weapon pick up for some short lived body ramming opportunities. However, even, on normal, these shields can be overwhelmed by a critical mass of fire power, or the "lucky" timing and trajectory of a single stray bullet.

On the one hand, this luck factor makes it seem like it becomes a game of calculated risks where you simply have to accept getting unlucky sometimes. On the other hand, everything is, in fact, completely deterministic, maybe a more skilled player could better feel when a dive into a swarm of bullets would lead to success and when it would fail? Certainly I've noticed you can "seal" certain enemies with 100% probability of success with some of the canceling weapons.

Of course the assumption here is that patterns are indeed undodgeable on unbelievable and you have to rely on cancelling weapons or pick-up invulnerability, with the former being problematic. Maybe this isn't the case at all, I certainly haven't verified it, and it doesn't seem so from stage 1.

Another note is that recovery is generous, as the orbs 'splode out of your mech on death and you can pick 'em up if you're quick about it.

Really curious about more experienced players thoughts on this one.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Licorice wrote:Has anyone 1CC'd Serei Senshi Spriggan on Unbelievable?

I can't find any videos of such a feat on Youtube, nor could I find any claims of doing so searching "Spriggan unbelievable" in the forum search.
There's a tool-assisted clear on Nico Nico:

https://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm30716032

I don't know how much you'll get out of it though, right off the bat some of the dodges are kinda ridiculous.

I do like how if you pick Unbelievable the characters are like "You're going to play at this difficulty?? You should stop." "If you can clear this, we'll grant you the title of Shooting Master!" So maybe that's your problem. It's for shooting masters only.
brokencube15243

Post by brokencube15243 »

i remember a perikles post with a game that keep increasing the bullet speed loop after loop i thought it was a raiden game
but i dont remember very well, the bullets become almost invisible at some point.
i can not find the thread
does anybody know a game like that?
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

brokencube15243 wrote:i remember a perikles post with a game that keep increasing the bullet speed loop after loop i thought it was a raiden game
but i dont remember very well, the bullets become almost invisible at some point.
the only game with invisible bullets I know is Blazing Star, and it does not loop :roll:
brokencube15243

Kollision wrote:
brokencube15243 wrote:i remember a perikles post with a game that keep increasing the bullet speed loop after loop i thought it was a raiden game
the only game with invisible bullets I know is Blazing Star, and it does not loop :roll:
there was a very long video posted i think it was the 9 loop
i dont think it was a legit run because even with the bullet speed, whoever the player was, just kept dodging flawlessly.
the game was similar to the raiden games but there is a cap in the bullet speed in those games.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Play Slap Fight MD on the Sega Nomad and that's what it will turn into after a while lol
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

A long time ago I came across a Raiden II cab in the wild that was either broken or stuck on some kind of insane rank/loop setting because the bullets were basically hitscan, they were so fast. The one credit I put in didn't last very long.
Master O

Post by Master O »

How many 1980s shmups have Alien / H.R. Giger - inspired levels?

I can immediately think of Gradius 2 - Stage 2, and Darius II - Zone P, as well as the R-Type games in general.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Bit of a cheat with R-Type mentioned, but X-Multiply is a must with the final boss being a direct lift of Giger's Baphomet.

Dragon Saber just barely missed the 80s, but was in development during them - its third stage is total Gigermania, with facehugger-spawning eggs, and a boss "queen" sporting an ovipositor much like the film's (I guess that's technically a Cameron reference, haha).

Not STGs, but the arcade versions of Super Contra and The Lord Of King have some of the most astonishingly blatant Xenomorph rips in gaming canon. Super's fourth boss (Winged Xeno) needed a facelift for Contra III's big reunion celebration, I guess since they didn't have the Aliens license by that point. :mrgreen: As for Lordy, uh... violent genre shift anybody?
Last edited by BIL on Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

BioMetal on SNES has a bunch of enemy craft that almost certainly reference Geiger's aliens.
Master O

Post by Master O »

BIL wrote:Bit of a cheat with R-Type mentioned, but X-Multiply is a must with the final boss being a direct lift of Giger's Baphomet.

Dragon Saber just barely missed the 80s, but was in development during them - its third stage is total Gigermania, with facehugger-spawning eggs, and a boss "queen" sporting an ovipositor much like the film's (I guess that's technically a Cameron reference, haha).

Not STGs, but the arcade versions of Super Contra and The Lord Of King have some of the most astonishingly blatant Xenomorph rips in gaming canon. Super's fourth boss (Winged Xeno) needed a facelift for Contra III's big reunion celebration, I guess since they didn't have the Aliens license by that point. :mrgreen: As for Lordy, uh... violent genre shift anybody?
Hahaha at the violent tone shift...
BIL

Post by BIL »

It's like a little kid chucked all his He-Man and Aliens action figures in the same bucket. :lol:
maximo310

Post by maximo310 »

brokencube15243 wrote:
Kollision wrote:
i dont think it was a legit run because even with the bullet speed, whoever the player was, just kept dodging flawlessly.
the game was similar to the raiden games but there is a cap in the bullet speed in those games.
It's probably this ( using the overseas ver. with instant respawn): https://youtu.be/PFCEna3EMlA
brokencube15243

the game was similar to the raiden games but there is a cap in the bullet speed in those games.[/quote]

It's probably this ( using the overseas ver. with instant respawn): https://youtu.be/PFCEna3EMlA[/quote]

yes, the game is the first raiden game
i beat the first 3 loops of raiden (japan version) and dropped the game after that
now i will play the game again.
jehu

Post by jehu »

Very random request, but curiosity's getting the better of me on this one.

In Psikyo's Space Bomber's New York City stages, there's one background that uses a snapshot taken over Central Park. Anyone know what exact buildings are in the shot? I live here, I should know, but I don't.

PFG 9000

Post by PFG 9000 »

Master O wrote:How many 1980s shmups have Alien / H.R. Giger - inspired levels?

I can immediately think of Gradius 2 - Stage 2, and Darius II - Zone P, as well as the R-Type games in general.
Yes, it's from 1996 and therefore doesn't qualify. But Salamander 2 with its Giger/Alien level deserves a mention because it's just that cool.
KimagureMachibuse

Post by KimagureMachibuse »

PFG 9000 wrote:
Master O wrote:How many 1980s shmups have Alien / H.R. Giger - inspired levels?

Yes, it's from 1996 and therefore doesn't qualify. But Salamander 2 with its Giger/Alien level deserves a mention because it's just that cool.

Does X-multiply count? it has biological imagery in it
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

jehu wrote:Very random request, but curiosity's getting the better of me on this one.

In Psikyo's Space Bomber's New York City stages, there's one background that uses a snapshot taken over Central Park. Anyone know what exact buildings are in the shot? I live here, I should know, but I don't.
You can scan around in Google Earth and try to find them.
I had fun looking for a few minutes, I'm thinking it's not an actual snapshot.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

What is a "One Credit Clear" for ZeroRanger? The second loop seems more important and thoughtful in this game than in most.
Ebbo

Post by Ebbo »

There's an in-game achievement for 1cc and it requires clearing both loops back-to-back, so one could consider it the "canon" one :wink:
BIL

Post by BIL »

Ebbo wrote:There's an in-game achievement for 1cc and it requires clearing both loops back-to-back, so one could consider it the "canon" one :wink:
So rad. :cool: Image