Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Three4Flinching

Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

Post by Three4Flinching »

Hi I have a couple of questions regarding Mushihimesama Futari (360).

1. When I looked for extra content in the dashboard i saw that there is a black lable version as dlc, can I buy that with pal msp?

2. When you learn a new shmup (and like me, not very good at them) should you play novice or normal mode?

This is probably a stupid question, but here goes.
3. I´m having problem aticipate the enemy bullets, where on the screen should I focus. Should I focus my atention on the "ship" or the enemies/bullets?

I´m new to bullet-hell shooters but I think they are alot of fun and I want to get better. I have 1cc Deathsmiles on lvl 1 but the vertical shooters feels much harder to me.
AntiFritz

Post by AntiFritz »

1. Yes, you can.

3. Here is a good post explaining roughly where to look when playing shmups.
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 54#p557154

And here is a list of ways to practice and improve your skills in general
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=30458
RegalSin wrote:Rape is very shakey subject. It falls into the catergory of Womens right, Homosexaul rights, and Black rights.
Three4Flinching

AntiFritz wrote:1. Yes, you can.

3. Here is a good post explaining roughly where to look when playing shmups.
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 54#p557154

And here is a list of ways to practice and improve your skills in general
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=30458
Thanks for the help :)
Tyjet

Post by Tyjet »

trap15 wrote:The hardware (or in the ports' cases, the simulated hardware) has a fixed limit on how many objects can be displayed at once.

Rather than not displaying important things like bullets, it stops drawing the HUD instead.
Thanks for clarifying!
My Youtube Channel | Xbox: Tyjet Poison | My Scores
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

Is there no difficulty setting on Raiden Project that accurately replicates the arcade game (at least for Raiden I)? Seems like the settings available make it too easy or too difficult when compared with the original....
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Three4Flinching wrote:Hi I have a couple of questions regarding Mushihimesama Futari (360).
2. When you learn a new shmup (and like me, not very good at them) should you play novice or normal mode?
Whatever you feel comfortable with. Personally I feel there's no shame in dieing your first time, so I tend toward normal. But novice works too if you want to learn the game without too much hassle. It'll probably depend heavily on the game, but do whatever feels most fun.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
saucykobold

Post by saucykobold »

drunkninja24 wrote:Is there no difficulty setting on Raiden Project that accurately replicates the arcade game (at least for Raiden I)? Seems like the settings available make it too easy or too difficult when compared with the original....
Right, Colonel is somewhat harder than the arcade's default difficulty while Major is quite a bit easier, unfortunately.
Three4Flinching

Squire Grooktook wrote:Whatever you feel comfortable with. Personally I feel there's no shame in dieing your first time, so I tend toward normal. But novice works too if you want to learn the game without too much hassle. It'll probably depend heavily on the game, but do whatever feels most fun.
I´m going to try and play Mushihimesama on normal, it seems easier then some of the other Cave games I own. I can at least survive the first two levels without using a credit.
Primative Charm

Post by Primative Charm »

OK this has been bugging me for a long time now. I saw this replay of Psyvariar 2, yet it features a different music track for this vid linked below. I've played the game before, but I don't ever remember hearing this particular song ever in the game . So I'm very curious as to where this music track came from, another shmup game maybe?

You can hear it here:
http://www.wat.tv/video/psyvariar-stage ... girx_.html

Any ideas? I'm been dying to know.
Squire Grooktook

What's generally considered the best "brightness" setting for Axelay? I usually set it to max, but some screenshots I've seen are making me rethink that. Is there a general consensus on what the majority of the game looks best on, or is it purely subjective?
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
ciox

Post by ciox »

Primative Charm wrote:OK this has been bugging me for a long time now. I saw this replay of Psyvariar 2, yet it features a different music track for this vid linked below. I've played the game before, but I don't ever remember hearing this particular song ever in the game . So I'm very curious as to where this music track came from, another shmup game maybe?

You can hear it here:
http://www.wat.tv/video/psyvariar-stage ... girx_.html

Any ideas? I'm been dying to know.
Well that song has nothing to do with the Psyvariar series if that helps.

There should be a sound search engine for this kind of things, if there isn't one already, Youtube has had capabilities of that type since forever (automatically rejects copyrighted songs) but I don't know of anything the public can use.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Squire Grooktook wrote:What's generally considered the best "brightness" setting for Axelay? I usually set it to max, but some screenshots I've seen are making me rethink that. Is there a general consensus on what the majority of the game looks best on, or is it purely subjective?
I've never heard of any "optimal" brightness setting for Axelay (or any other shmup, offhand), so just use whichever looks best on your TV.
MauJustice

Post by MauJustice »

Looking into a 'Total Control Plus', PS2 -> Dreamcast controller converter so I can use a PS2 arcade stick on my DC...Are there any noticeable issues with these? Input lag or compatibility?
Last edited by MauJustice on Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Squire Grooktook

BulletMagnet wrote:
Squire Grooktook wrote:What's generally considered the best "brightness" setting for Axelay? I usually set it to max, but some screenshots I've seen are making me rethink that. Is there a general consensus on what the majority of the game looks best on, or is it purely subjective?
I've never heard of any "optimal" brightness setting for Axelay (or any other shmup, offhand), so just use whichever looks best on your TV.
Well, I'm playing on an emulator (though I do have the super nes cart, my snes just isn't hooked up right now).

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Post by MOSQUITO FIGHTER »

Which version of mame will run G-Stream 2020? I've tried shmupmame 4.2 and it doesn't work on that version.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Works fine in ShmupMAME 4.2 for me.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Post by MOSQUITO FIGHTER »

Does it need a bios?
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Nope, just gstream.zip is enough.
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
DarkSlayer

DDPDFK Black Label Mode scoring question

Post by DarkSlayer »

cant find the thread where you put all the questions which dont deserve a thread but...

So im playing bomb mode (now that autobomb can be switched off :D)

and i know that hypers/bombs share the same resource now (well kinda, you can still earn hyper through your meter as normal)

so my question: whats the point in hypers now? why would you use a hyper over a bomb? as hyper cancalling bullets no longer give you score

it seems from a design perspective hypers and bomb fill very similar roles

could some one tell me what im missing?

(mod edit - merged with the topic you were talking about, look harder next time)
Erppo

Re: DDPDFK Black Label Mode scoring question

Post by Erppo »

DarkSlayer wrote:as hyper cancalling bullets no longer give you score
uhh I think you got your modes reversed.

The strategy threads were written for a reason.
E: I guess I could link it too
Last edited by Erppo on Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DarkSlayer

Post by DarkSlayer »

Erppo wrote:
DarkSlayer wrote:as hyper cancalling bullets no longer give you score
uhh I think you got your modes reversed.

The strategy threads were written for a reason.

in 1.5 your hit counter increased with hyper cancelling bullets

in black label hyper cancelling bullets give your hit counter nothing
Cagar

Post by Cagar »

In black label, cancelling bullets gives you tons of score according to your counter, but doesn't increase your counter.

Black label in short: Get your counter up quick, and hyper to cash in.

In DFK 1.5: Use hyper to get your counter up quick, and then chain without hypers to cash in.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Has anyone played the PC version of Magical Chase? I'm curious about it, but it seems to be the least talked about version and the most expensive Japanese release. It doesn't help that trying to search for "Magical Chase PC" gets you nothing but PC Engine results (and "Windows" mostly gets me references to the fact that there is a Windows port).
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
Jaimers

Post by Jaimers »

Somebody asked this:
Hi there

there is a title that is bugging me like hell
I cant remember its name so maybe you will help me

Ok so I have downloaded MAMEhub to play all arcades with other ppl and it has been a lot of fun.

I remember a vertical shooter, and to give you the best trail I have to bring OutZone game.

So I am looking for something like Out zone but with slightly better graphics I assume it had to came out later than OutZone

So you were walking on ground and each of I think 4 maybe 3 charcters had different weapons or maybe it depend on the powerups you collected. All I remember that one fo the characters was violet ? kind off like a ninja but not typical...

and one of the weapons was shooting hmm like auto guided
"tubes" oh geez its so hard to describe it hahah

first enemies were robot spiders ...

heh I guess I give you a tough challenge here but maybe You will figure it out

if not maybe just throw a few titles that can match my description

looking forward to your reply
coturnix

Post by coturnix »

Jaimers wrote:Somebody asked this:
Hi there

there is a title that is bugging me like hell
I cant remember its name so maybe you will help me

Ok so I have downloaded MAMEhub to play all arcades with other ppl and it has been a lot of fun.

I remember a vertical shooter, and to give you the best trail I have to bring OutZone game.

So I am looking for something like Out zone but with slightly better graphics I assume it had to came out later than OutZone

So you were walking on ground and each of I think 4 maybe 3 charcters had different weapons or maybe it depend on the powerups you collected. All I remember that one fo the characters was violet ? kind off like a ninja but not typical...

and one of the weapons was shooting hmm like auto guided
"tubes" oh geez its so hard to describe it hahah

first enemies were robot spiders ...

heh I guess I give you a tough challenge here but maybe You will figure it out

if not maybe just throw a few titles that can match my description

looking forward to your reply
Fixeight i guess, the sequel to Out Zone. There are spiders (in the second stage tho, not the first), eight different characters including a ninja, a robot, and a bipedal lizard, and all of them have 3 different types of shoot.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Yeah, definitely sounds like FixEight
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

I've seen a number of DFK 1.5 scores posted that have declined the second loop. Is there some scoring advantage for doing this?
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

Keres wrote:I've seen a number of DFK 1.5 scores posted that have declined the second loop. Is there some scoring advantage for doing this?
Bad scoring paths in second loop and laziness

in other words, no
rancor

Post by rancor »

Anyone have a list of x360 games that support tate? Are STGs the only genre of games that do this anymore? If I remember correctly, the arcade version of Pac-Man had a vertical oriented monitor as well. Just looking for other games to play on my Blast City - shmups or not.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Keres wrote:I've seen a number of DFK 1.5 scores posted that have declined the second loop. Is there some scoring advantage for doing this?
Are these people declining, or just failing to meet the loop requirements?
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS