Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Herr Schatten

Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

Post by Herr Schatten »

I'm confused by the rapid fire options in the Switch port of Mushihimesama.

I've been trying to get back into the game (original mode), but I just can't find my rhythm. I used to do fine back when I played the PS2 version, but now things keep dying at not quite the exact same time I expect them to, and that's throwing me off.

So please, how do I have to configure the rapid fire in the newer port to get the same frequency as I got on the PS2?
Terramax

Post by Terramax »

BulletMagnet wrote:Once you're fully powered up enemies start dropping red point items; as you collect those the counter you mentioned fills up. Once it's maxed out, if you use your barrier bomb enemies briefly start dropping energy items to help fill it back up. After that the counter resets to zero and takes more point items to fill up than before.
Thanks, but I'm aware of all of that. What I'm not sure about is how it's triggered. Is it automatic, or can I choose when to trigger it?
minion

Post by minion »

Terramax wrote:
BulletMagnet wrote:Once you're fully powered up enemies start dropping red point items; as you collect those the counter you mentioned fills up. Once it's maxed out, if you use your barrier bomb enemies briefly start dropping energy items to help fill it back up. After that the counter resets to zero and takes more point items to fill up than before.
Thanks, but I'm aware of all of that. What I'm not sure about is how it's triggered. Is it automatic, or can I choose when to trigger it?
Once you have the 'max' amount of red point items, any use of the bomb will instantly trigger all enemies dropping energy instead of red points, and the red points will start draining. Slightly more detailed explanation at this timestamp: https://youtu.be/H3Yms0tpa18?t=704
Terramax

Post by Terramax »

That's great, many thanks for the clarification.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Curious if anyone's cleared SDOJ with a no miss/bomb on Inbachi. I don't use NicoVideo so it's very well possible I've never seen a video of it. But I can't find any on YouTube that aren't VERY understandably TAS. I mean specifically killing Inbachi cleanly, not perfecting the whole run.
DMC

Post by DMC »

Has anyone listed some of the best live shmup runs with an audience--available on youtube, twitch, etc?
I have enjoyed some stunfest demonstrations lately, and wonder if there's a lot more I'm missing.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

XoPachi wrote:Curious if anyone's cleared SDOJ with a no miss/bomb on Inbachi. I don't use NicoVideo so it's very well possible I've never seen a video of it. But I can't find any on YouTube that aren't VERY understandably TAS. I mean specifically killing Inbachi cleanly, not perfecting the whole run.
Nobody's defeated Inbachi with conditions that are actually possible in a real run, even in practice mode. The closest is Sairyou's extremely recent win with an extra bomb-per-life and life compared to a real expert run ( https://twitter.com/SrhuDSTG/status/1426094682929438720 ). You can only reach Inbachi on a no-miss no-bomb run in the first place, so I'm not quite sure what your additional constraints mean. If you mean NMNB Inbachi, that's not possible by humans and never will be done.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

DMC wrote:Has anyone listed some of the best live shmup runs with an audience--available on youtube, twitch, etc?
I have enjoyed some stunfest demonstrations lately, and wonder if there's a lot more I'm missing.
Of course, there is always Gus' Futari Ultra run at GDQ back in early 2020.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

trap15 wrote:If you mean NMNB Inbachi, that's not possible by humans and never will be done.
I didn't know the conditions for reaching her. But I guess this answers the question concretely.
el_rika

Post by el_rika »

DMC wrote:Has anyone listed some of the best live shmup runs with an audience--available on youtube, twitch, etc?
This one is quite amazing (Mushihimeaama Ultra)
https://youtu.be/kj2RfWbD1CM
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

I don't understand Darius Burst's laser mechanic.
I see people do little laser duels with the bosses, but whenever I try it, I just instantly die. I don't get it.
John4300

Post by John4300 »

XoPachi wrote:I don't understand Darius Burst's laser mechanic.
I see people do little laser duels with the bosses, but whenever I try it, I just instantly die. I don't get it.
If you are using any ship with default burst laser, you'll have to to hit the red enemy laser while your burst laser is charging up (There is a short delay before the laser starts to shoot after you press the button).

Red enemy lasers signaled by three pings can be countered. If you get a golden burst laser, you got the timing right and after that you can use it to charge your burst meter too by keeping hitting the enemy red laser.

You can either wait the boss to shoot the laser directly at you (Usually around the last ping is okay, but I don't recall correctly) or you can "cut in" to lasers, as long as you hit it while your own laser is charging. I find cutting in easier, but I know some people who prefer the direct approach. Golden laser kills have bigger multiplier too so it's important for scoring. The counter burst also lasts longer and does more damage than normal burst.

There is that one ship that has that odd plasma ball burst (I forgot the name now but it's not Gaiden's bomb), you can actually burst counter with it too just like mentioned earlier. The ball will come out golden at that point.

If you are using Murakumo or Genesis, you can just hit the red enemy lasers without timing it.

The timing can be a bit difficult to get at first, but it'll be rewarding and helpful once you start getting it. Good luck!
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Friend is looking for a game he only recalls seeing when he was super young in arcades.
-Vertical scroller
-First level is a future city
-Most clearly remembers a green mecha crab tank boss that enters from the bottom and moves really fast
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

That's gotta be Aero Fighters 2.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

I spam this place a lot, but I always have little curiosities that only this place would be able to help me with...
Anyway, GT's theme in Darius Burst is called "Hello 31337". What's the meaning behind that number?
BIL

Post by BIL »

"Hello Elite." Great Thing only grants audience to pilots of stern stuff. Or generous credit feeders. :wink:

Or maybe GT is the "Elite" being referenced. "Goodbye My Earth" and "Pay Blue's Respects" seem titled from the protagonists' POV.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

GT has a history across the series of being one of the tougher fights as well as always being a full swollen teat that can be milked like crazy for ridiculous points.

Yeah it's gotta be a reference to 1337 Pwnage orz. :lol:
pja

Post by pja »

You know, I knew for years that 1337 means "leet" and refers to leet speak, but I never actually realized it means "elite", I just kinda accepted it as a nonsensical word from internet culture :P
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

The Cho Ren Sha 68k website seems gone. Is there a kind soul who could upload a copy of the game somewhere, for me? Since I am behind the great firewall of China, a service like Rapidgator would be ideal (Yes, sharing files is a nightmare for me). TA to any kind should who is willing to do this.
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

XoPachi wrote:I spam this place a lot, but I always have little curiosities that only this place would be able to help me with...
Anyway, GT's theme in Darius Burst is called "Hello 31337". What's the meaning behind that number?
http://shmuplations.com/zuntatadarius/
Ogura: In hindsight, I think it’s fairly safe to say that the keywords in making the tunes were “prime numbers.” Although the way the producer Aoki expressed it and the way I did it were different, the belief that Darius sounds should be one of a kind was completely the same for us. The image I had in mind during the composition of the music was the establishment of a “network without a core” and “multi-dimensional structure,” but when I began thinking about the titles for the music, it became the keywords “prime numbers,” which were basically the words that related to the numbers that don’t have any divisors other than themselves. But there was more than meets the eye to it – a lot. Then I changed the thinking process for a bit, and came up with titles using some English words and numbers that had meaning to them, and then when I researched about them further, I found that those meaningful numbers themselves were prime numbers. It was also the case with G-Darius: these coincidental chemical reactions have been responsible for the creasion of the music for the Darius series (laugh).
According to this interview, the concept of prime numbers was used as an inspiration for DariusBurst tracks, and 31337 is a prime number. Not sure exactly why this specific prime number was chosen though. Perhaps it indeed could be a reference to 1337, since Ogura mentions looking for numbers and names with specific meanings.
----
Randorama wrote:The Cho Ren Sha 68k website seems gone. Is there a kind soul who could upload a copy of the game somewhere, for me? Since I am behind the great firewall of China, a service like Rapidgator would be ideal (Yes, sharing files is a nightmare for me). TA to any kind should who is willing to do this.
Does this firewall block archive.org ? If not, you could use an archived version of the website to get the game : https://web.archive.org/web/20190726062 ... nload.html
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
BIL

Post by BIL »

Take that, communism! (■`w´■) Image Here you go Rando. ;3 Lemme know if you want any of the .EXEs in un-zipped form.

Windows 2017 ver (ZIP)
Windows 2005 ver (ZIP)
Windows 2001 ver (RAR)
X68k 2HD Disk Image (LZH)
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Thank you Komrades! I can download everything just fine , but maybe I am overlooking something.

I recalled that the Windows 2017 version is compatible with Windows 10, but once I launch the .exe file (latest.exe), it seems to just crash without even giving me a specific error.
Any cues (e.g. What should I check, before trying to run the game...)?

EDIT: I get an error message saying that the game runs on Windows 8, when I do a compatibility test :oops:
Can you guys confirm that I can forget about playing this on Windows 10? (just to be sure...).
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
SPM

Post by SPM »

On that note, can anyone explain to me why we can download Battle Traverse from archive.org if it's currently been sold on DLsite? An old version or something?
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

SPM wrote:On that note, can anyone explain to me why we can download Battle Traverse from archive.org if it's currently been sold on DLsite? An old version or something?
Archive.org has a lot of things that are too close for comfort. Modern games that are being sold really should not be on there.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Randorama wrote:Thank you Komrades! I can download everything just fine , but maybe I am overlooking something.

I recalled that the Windows 2017 version is compatible with Windows 10, but once I launch the .exe file (latest.exe), it seems to just crash without even giving me a specific error.
Any cues (e.g. What should I check, before trying to run the game...)?

EDIT: I get an error message saying that the game runs on Windows 8, when I do a compatibility test :oops:
Can you guys confirm that I can forget about playing this on Windows 10? (just to be sure...).
2017 seems to run fine in Windows 10 for me (Windows 10 Pro Edition, to be precise) - I'm running it straight from the archive file, if that makes any difference.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Thanks again Birru Zeppeli, but each version gives me the same compatibility problem.
I will try to spend more time with them this week-end, I guess...

:?
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

The robot voices in ESPGaluda...
What do they say? :0
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

To Far Away Times wrote:
SPM wrote:On that note, can anyone explain to me why we can download Battle Traverse from archive.org if it's currently been sold on DLsite? An old version or something?
Archive.org has a lot of things that are too close for comfort. Modern games that are being sold really should not be on there.
Yeah, while many things are there that are clearly of historical interest and are so old as to have limited commercial value any more, what gets uploaded isn't always vetted and you'll sometimes stumble on current commercial content. Support the devs where possible (DLSite is pretty easy to use, it's where I bought my copy of Battle Traverse).
XoPachi wrote:The robot voices in ESPGaluda... What do they say? :0
I too have pondered exactly what's said before each boss.
el_rika

Post by el_rika »

In Saidaioujou, are the Shot and Laser difficulties identical in terms of patterns, density?

Thanks!
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

It depends on the mode. For the standard arcade modes, yes, Shot and Laser appear to be the same in terms of bullet patterns. However, for the Xbox 360 Arrange Mode where you play as Saya, Shot is Easy, Laser is Medium, and Expert is... Expert. :p