Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BareKnuckleRoo

Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Not particularly, no, unless you're gunning for world-record tier scores.

The Steam ports of Daifukkatsu and Deathsmiles apparently have slowdown issues where it's inaccurate and missing the slowdown it's supposed to have in some spots? It's not something that seems to make it tremendously harder or anything if you're just aiming to 1CC, and it looks like it's only something you'd really obsess over if you were at or near world record in terms of scoring. The Xbox 360 versions aren't arcade perfect either in terms of accuracy (though they're reportedly a bit better, especially once Deathsmiles is patched).
Steven

Post by Steven »

Great, thanks. At this point I'm basically just looking at avoiding bad versions of games that have problems, like City Connection Cotton and Guardian Force. Speaking of Deathsmiles, I don't think I've seen anything about the newest PC version from last week yet. I recently got a (Japanese) Xbox 360, so 360 is an option.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

It was usually believed that the 360 versions perform better latency-wise, though everybody seems to be happy with Livewire ports.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

How exactly do you trigger the 1-UP in Stage 4 of Giga Wing?

This FAQ I found seems sketch and incomplete:

You must destroy the tank as fast as you can, then destroy the purple and
red orbs and pick up the 1-up. The energy bulbs that appear are the
result of you destroying the tank quickly, but not quick enough to
get a one-up. To destroy the tank, it'll usually take two reflect
forces returning all the bullets right back at the tank as well as
you firing. After you destroy the tank, wait just a bit until the
red orb is about 5 plane lengths from leaving the screen and then
destroy it. If done right, giant orbs will appear that you can
shoot down for giant snowflake points icons worth 100 increments
each. I think you may have to destroy a few purple orbs before the
red orb for this to work.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
SPM

Post by SPM »

Jonpachi wrote:How exactly do you trigger the 1-UP in Stage 4 of Giga Wing?
I don't think the tank has anything to do with the extra life, you just have to destroy all the purple orbs before the red one. BUT you'll only get the extra life if you don't have any lives left by that point (not very useful for a 1CC and less so for scoring. Only good for early progression)
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

SPM is right, tank isn't part of it aside from it being very handy to kill the giant tank ASAP to make getting the 1UP easier. Not sure what FAQ you found but it is inaccurate.

All you need to do is trigger the massive medal trick in Stage 4 when at 0 lives. On the right side of the screen (several seconds after the tank appears) there's a ring of purple gems and an inner red one. Destroy all the purple ones surrounding the center red gem, then destroy the red gem. A giant shower of red orbs containing unique medals will appear, and the 1UP item will be where the red gem was.

Note that the 1UP item cannot be obtained in multiplayer (even if both players have 0 lives). The stones surrounding the gems will actually glow if you're at 0 lives, signalling there's a secret there.

It's a mercy extend. You ideally never want to see it and reach stage 5 with both extra lives in stock.
SeeNoWeevil

Post by SeeNoWeevil »

Are there any shmups on Steam that should be avoided because of high input lag?
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Thanks Roo and SPM!
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Why is Hellfire's weapon switching so finnicky? It almost feels random. I'll switch to forward shot, to X shot *back* to forward shot, then to reverse shot when I'm trying to get to vertical shot.
Sometimes when I switch, the arrows telling where I'll be firing will pop up very briefly but then switch to another weapon. I don't have turbo on my controller or autofire for the selector button, so I don't know what the problem is.
pegboy

Post by pegboy »

XoPachi wrote:Why is Hellfire's weapon switching so finnicky? It almost feels random. I'll switch to forward shot, to X shot *back* to forward shot, then to reverse shot when I'm trying to get to vertical shot.
Sometimes when I switch, the arrows telling where I'll be firing will pop up very briefly but then switch to another weapon. I don't have turbo on my controller or autofire for the selector button, so I don't know what the problem is.
Guessing you are using autofire on the shot button?
Sadly I think it's just not designed for using autofire . It appears that if you are holding the direction change button down and hit the shot button it will also change the direction. So if you are doing autofire on your shot and tap the direction button it will also cycle through the directions at the same rate.

The solution is to stop firing your main weapon for a split second before you do the direction change. It's a bit annoying but I got used to it.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Yes, Hellfire is weird with autofire on the shot button breaking the change weapon direction thing. Easy solution = don't use autofire. I don't find autofire all that useful in Hellfire anyway, so I don't even bother using it.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

So uh... I haven't been inspired by any shmups in a while and I was checking out Border Down, and hot damn I fogot how good the presentation is in this game but it also looks crazy hard. The Japanese wiki has it lower than some other games that look a lot easier. Is it not as difficult as it looks? Cuz it looks fucking hard.
wiNteR

Post by wiNteR »

Yeah Border Down isn't particularly easy or anything. I think it also come down to kinds of "practice" available.

For example, I remember playing it many years ago (when my DC was still working). After some amount of practice I reached last stage (and last-boss) on 1 credit (which I presume "might be" 6A since my score was kind of not good). However, I didn't push it further. Part of the reason was that the practice mode in the game didn't seem to unlock the "last stage" even if you reached it in a full credit. Another reason was that I don't re-call having any video(at all) of a 6A-clear available at that time either, or maybe I didn't look hard enough? [but now, for sure, there are number of videos of this around].

Though I still kind of feel a little disappointed that I should have gotten a 1CC instead of moving on. Probably I would have to try DC emulation of this now (since my DC no longer works).

==============================

So, in summary, it isn't easy [and yeah, a lot of fairly easy/friendly 1CCs above it in the difficulty wiki is a bit deceptive, so it seems it should have been few points higher at least] but certain fairly get-able 1CC with practice.

Do remember that, to some extent, the game allows you to off-set the difficulty of patterns with an invincibility laser that has very high duration. The main thing I recommend is that, once you start reaching the last stage, you should consult some all-clear videos (that would help a lot I presume). So you don't feel like you are going completely blind in it (in full runs). One thing that I unfortunately don't remember though is that whether the last stage is offered even if you don't 1-credit the earlier stages? ..... since that would be quite useful.
Steven

Post by Steven »

I really want to meet whoever it was that made the Japanese difficulty list that put 1P Same! Same! Same! with autofire at the same level of difficulty as Thunder Force AC without autofire. Absolutely no fucking way.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Is it not as difficult as it looks? Cuz it looks fucking hard

Uh, it kind of depends. Memorzation-heads find it tricky because the whole 'border' thing makes it tough to memorize.

But, I got a 1cc eventually. And it wasn't like I banged my head against the wall practicing five hours a day or anything. It was a 1cc that came about pretty naturally, if that makes any sense (I enjoyed the game, kept playing, got better, then one day whammo-blammo). But then again, I'm pretty much an anti-memorization player.

----

Quick Question:

Does anyone happen to own this??
I need the Xevious sfx (arcade) for this thing I'm working on, and that seems like the easiest place to get the complete set, with the best quality, etc
While I see it's only $3, I'd really love it if I could avoid going through the whole rigamarole of making an iTunes account and whatnot. THX!

EDIT: Never mind, it doesn't actually cost as you're able to 'preview' the entire set
Last edited by m.sniffles.esq on Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pegboy

Post by pegboy »

Steven wrote:I really want to meet whoever it was that made the Japanese difficulty list that put 1P Same! Same! Same! with autofire at the same level of difficulty as Thunder Force AC without autofire. Absolutely no fucking way.
That list's Toaplan rankings is all over the place lol.

Here is the current ranking (all with autofire):

V-V 2-ALL: 32
Batsugun Special 4-ALL: 24
Dogyuun: 22
V-V 1-ALL: 20
Fixeight: 18
Flying Shark: 16
Outzone: 16
Zero Wing: 15
KyuKyoKu Tiger: 14
Same! Same! Same! 14
Batsugun: 13
Daisenpu: 13
Tatsujin: 13
Batsugun Special 1-ALL: 3
Slap Fight: 3
Vimana: 3

Tiger Heli, Hellfire, and Tatsujin Oh don't appear to be on the current list.

I've cleared about 1/2 of the Toaplan games (mostly their early year stuff) and here are my thoughts:

-KyuKyoKu Tiger and Tatsujin are way too low. Tatsujin at least 20 and K Tiger 23~25 range.

-Flying Shark too high, prob 10~12 range

-Zero wing prob a bit too low. The checkpoints are very nasty and unless you trigger the random 10up you have very few lives to work with unlike most early Toaplan games. I'd say 18~20 range.

-Slap Fight too low? 3 seems low but it is a pretty short game.

-Obviously the rating for Same! is a complete joke. Add at least 20 points to that. I've played through most of it using save states and the game is a nightmare.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Yeah, it's really weird. I can see the 24 without autofire or 14 with autofire for the 2P version of Same!, which is still very punishing if you die in the second half of the game, especially on stage 7, but definitely not the 1P version.

I have not played Dogyuun that much, but I remember ZPS said that the hardest not-insane Toaplan game is either Kyuukyoku Tiger or Dogyuun. Kyuukyoku Tiger has a few rough spots in stage 5, but the first half is otherwise not so bad, especially since the stage 2 and stage 4 bosses can be insta-killed with 30Hz autofire before they can attack at all if you want to do that sort of thing, and so can one of the stage 3 bosses if you use a bomb... then you get to the second half and you get to see how good the enemy placement in that game is.

Tiger-Heli's challenge almost entirely comes from tanks suddenly appearing and point-blanking you because I guess sealing probably wasn't invented yet or something. It feels very cheap (I believe either Yuge-san or Uemura-san later stated that the player's deaths must be satisfying or they won't want to play the game anymore, so I guess they learned from Tiger-Heli), but the game's not terribly difficult once you memorize where everything is. It's marginally easier than Hishouzame but significantly harder than Slap Fight, I think.

I have not spent much time with arcade Hellfire, as I'm still waiting for the MiSTer core to be finished (still getting lots of graphical glitching on MiSTer) or for M2 to release it, so I can't really say much about that game.
SPM

Post by SPM »

Steven wrote:Tiger-Heli's challenge almost entirely comes from tanks suddenly appearing and point-blanking you because I guess sealing probably wasn't invented yet or something. It feels very cheap (I believe either Yuge-san or Uemura-san later stated that the player's deaths must be satisfying or they won't want to play the game anymore, so I guess they learned from Tiger-Heli)
I don't know... My guess would be from something like Sam3! 1P :cry:

"According to Masahiro Yuge, Tiger-Heli proved to be popular in arcades during initial beta location testings. In Japan, Game Machine listed it on their October 1, 1985 issue as being the most popular table arcade game at the time, outperforming titles such as Ghosts 'n Goblins and Gradius." - Wiki

Of course one could argue that deaths in TH weren't really satisfying, but those in GnG and Gradius were even less so :lol:

I like Tiger Heli and don't have any problem with those cheap deaths because the length and difficulty are low enough (cheap shots on games like Sam3! though...). My biggest criticism of TH is dead air. It has a bit too much.
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
NMS

Post by NMS »

pegboy wrote:
Steven wrote:I really want to meet whoever it was that made the Japanese difficulty list that put 1P Same! Same! Same! with autofire at the same level of difficulty as Thunder Force AC without autofire. Absolutely no fucking way.
That list's Toaplan rankings is all over the place lol.

Here is the current ranking (all with autofire):

V-V 2-ALL: 32
Batsugun Special 4-ALL: 24
Dogyuun: 22
V-V 1-ALL: 20
Fixeight: 18
Flying Shark: 16
Outzone: 16
Zero Wing: 15
KyuKyoKu Tiger: 14
Same! Same! Same! 14
Batsugun: 13
Daisenpu: 13
Tatsujin: 13
Batsugun Special 1-ALL: 3
Slap Fight: 3
Vimana: 3

Tiger Heli, Hellfire, and Tatsujin Oh don't appear to be on the current list.

I've cleared about 1/2 of the Toaplan games (mostly their early year stuff) and here are my thoughts:

-KyuKyoKu Tiger and Tatsujin are way too low. Tatsujin at least 20 and K Tiger 23~25 range.

-Flying Shark too high, prob 10~12 range

-Zero wing prob a bit too low. The checkpoints are very nasty and unless you trigger the random 10up you have very few lives to work with unlike most early Toaplan games. I'd say 18~20 range.

-Slap Fight too low? 3 seems low but it is a pretty short game.

-Obviously the rating for Same! is a complete joke. Add at least 20 points to that. I've played through most of it using save states and the game is a nightmare.
I've cleared all of the Toaplan games (at least one loop) and I agree with you about everything. I'm ranking the games' difficulty in my 1cc list for fun and here's what I have for Toaplan, only 1-ALL and always autofire unless otherwise stated:

Tatsujin Oh: 36
Same3 1P: 34 (15 for Same3 2P version, never played Fire Shark)
Dogyuun: 23
KyuKyoKu Tiger: 22
Tatsujin: 21
V-V: 19
Hellfire (1P): 16 (2P slightly easier but not a big difference)
Zero Wing (1P): 16 (same as Hellfire regarding 2P)
Daisenpuu: 15
Fixeight: 14 (with C.Horn, 19 for H.Young, didn't really try other characters)
Batsugun (original): 13
Out Zone: 12
Hishouzame: 10 (Flying Shark slightly easier, like 9)
Tiger Heli: 10
Slap Fight: 6 (8 without auto)
Vimana: 2

Of course you can add or remove a couple of points to any rating since it's subjective. Now the higher ratings (T-Oh and Same3) are a bit approximative because I don't have much to compare them with, but Tatsujin Oh and Same3 are much harder than the rest so a 10 points difference makes sense.

In that list, V-V, Dogyuun, Batsugun and Vimana make sense. Maybe Fixeight but it depends on the character (if you just want a clear, simply pick C. Horn and the game definitely isn't a 18 in my opinion). Oh and Batsugun Special isn't too shocking, I didn't play it myself but people seem to agree that it's among their easiest games. But judging from videos it should be a few notches above Vimana, 3 seems too low (or the 3 for Vimana is too high).

I actually agree with their rating for Zero Wing though it could be higher. A lot of the game is dead air, but the last stages are challenging and recovery is super hard, it's hard to rate this game. Thinking about it I maybe underrated it a little with my 16, but I didn't have a lot of experience with horis when I played it so it's hard to rate it appropriately. At any rate, I think their 15 isn't too shocking but your 18~20 range seems fairly accurate too.

Daisenpuu feels a bit too low at 13, it has a couple of pretty tricky parts (the double boat boss, the final boss) and recovery can be hard. Also you have a very limited amount of bombs (I don't even think you can hold more than 2), which is why I think it should be at least at 15. Also they said that the international version (Twin Hawk) is much easier, but people on this forum who played it (I didn't) say it's the opposite and that the international version is harder, because some enemies are pretty much impossible to kill due to bloated HP. Twin Hawk apparently has lower rank but the rank wasn't much of an issue in Daisenpuu (at least for loop 1), enemy HP is the hardest thing about the game and it's even worse in Twin Hawk.

Hishouzame and OutZone are just too high, as you said 10~12 makes more sense for Hishouzame and OutZone is just slightly harder.

The Kyuukyoku Tiger rating is nonsense, 24 would be an appropriate rating for autofire (and maybe +4-5 for non-auto? dealing with the bosses in the second half without auto sounds painful, at first I tried but eventually I gave up), even if I personally put it a bit lower. There's just no way this game is easier than Hishouzame. The game is long, you're slow, bullets are pretty fast, bombs take a while to go off, bosses generally require precise maneuvers to kill them, it has many traps and enemies ready to snipe you. If you make a mistake, the slow speed and bomb delay mean that it's hard to correct it. Not really an impossible game but it's challenging. Kyuukyoku Tiger and Dogyuun are definitely the two hardest Toaplan games after T-Oh and Same3 (though there's a world of difference between these two nightmares and Tiger/Dogyuun), which one of the two being harder being more of a matter of preference.

Same3 rating is a big joke, although 14 with autofire for the 2P version would be appropriate. But it's definitely wrong for 1P, very very wrong. No way it's easier than Hishouzame or equal to Kyuukyoku Tiger, it's one of the hardest 1-ALL there is. It's long, recovery is super hard (no speed after dying and it takes a ton of power-ups to have a decent shot), bullets are fast, bullet visibility in Stage 6 can be a problem, you need very precise routing as soon as stage 2, the bomb items feel like they run away from you, the weapon change items always go in your way while you want to keep blue 98% of the time (and if you pick red or green, it will take forever to find a blue item).

Slap Fight isn't too hard and it's short, but there's no way it's the same difficulty as Vimana. You need a decent amount of planning for Slap Fight, you don't have smart bombs, recovery is hard in some parts (though all of them can be routed, but a game rated 3 should be possible to do with almost no routing). Also there's the weapon system, if you bring the wrong weapon at the wrong place you may die (for example, enemies near the end of the game will greatly resist the laser), which is another thing you have to be careful about. Meanwhile in Vimana with autofire you just destroy everything. So yeah, I also think it should be a bit higher, like 6 or so.

Tatsujin requires a lot of memorization (though once you know all the traps it's not too hard overall), no way it's a 13, it takes a lot of time to get your first 1-ALL. As you said, it's at least 20, and it should stand a bit below Kyuukyoku Tiger (and Dogyuun). Probably their 5th hardest game (debatable with V-V which is a completely different style of game).
Steven

Post by Steven »

Now that looks much closer.

Fire Shark is slightly more difficult than 2P Same! is, as bullet speeds are faster, you won't get fully powered up until later (assuming you are playing alone, I believe the point at which you reach full power in Fire Shark is exactly the same place you get fully powered in 1P Same!, at the end of stage 3. In 2P Same! you reach full power somewhere around halfway through stage 3), and the menu in the recent M2 collection says enemy resilience (so yeah, HP) is different from what it is in 2P Same!, although it doesn't actually specify if the HP is higher or lower or what enemies this applies to. The item table in Fire Shark is also different from how it is in 2P Same!, as well. and this is noticeable at the fourth item carrier; Fire Shark drops a wide shot there while 2P Same! drops a flamethrower.

It honestly looks to me that 2P Same! is better balanced for multiplayer or something. That's just a guess, though, so maybe it wasn't intentionally meant to be a rebalance for multiplayer, but that is how it seems to me at this time.

Oh yeah, Grind Stormer exists. Don't forget about that one. Haven't played it myself, but I've heard it's harder than V-V is. I think V-V Bomber Version or whatever it's called is the same as Grind Stormer. Or maybe it isn't. I don't even know anymore.

While I'm here, are there any differences between R-Type's Japanese and international versions? I know R-Type II has some, but I'm not sure about R-Type.
pegboy

Post by pegboy »

NMS wrote:
I've cleared all of the Toaplan games (at least one loop) and I agree with you about everything. I'm ranking the games' difficulty in my 1cc list for fun and here's what I have for Toaplan, only 1-ALL and always autofire unless otherwise stated:

Tatsujin Oh: 36
Same3 1P: 34 (15 for Same3 2P version, never played Fire Shark)
Dogyuun: 23
KyuKyoKu Tiger: 22
Tatsujin: 21
V-V: 19
Hellfire (1P): 16 (2P slightly easier but not a big difference)
Zero Wing (1P): 16 (same as Hellfire regarding 2P)
Daisenpuu: 15
Fixeight: 14 (with C.Horn, 19 for H.Young, didn't really try other characters)
Batsugun (original): 13
Out Zone: 12
Hishouzame: 10 (Flying Shark slightly easier, like 9)
Tiger Heli: 10
Slap Fight: 6 (8 without auto)
Vimana: 2

Of course you can add or remove a couple of points to any rating since it's subjective. Now the higher ratings (T-Oh and Same3) are a bit approximative because I don't have much to compare them with, but Tatsujin Oh and Same3 are much harder than the rest so a 10 points difference makes sense.

In that list, V-V, Dogyuun, Batsugun and Vimana make sense. Maybe Fixeight but it depends on the character (if you just want a clear, simply pick C. Horn and the game definitely isn't a 18 in my opinion). Oh and Batsugun Special isn't too shocking, I didn't play it myself but people seem to agree that it's among their easiest games. But judging from videos it should be a few notches above Vimana, 3 seems too low (or the 3 for Vimana is too high).

I actually agree with their rating for Zero Wing though it could be higher. A lot of the game is dead air, but the last stages are challenging and recovery is super hard, it's hard to rate this game. Thinking about it I maybe underrated it a little with my 16, but I didn't have a lot of experience with horis when I played it so it's hard to rate it appropriately. At any rate, I think their 15 isn't too shocking but your 18~20 range seems fairly accurate too.

Daisenpuu feels a bit too low at 13, it has a couple of pretty tricky parts (the double boat boss, the final boss) and recovery can be hard. Also you have a very limited amount of bombs (I don't even think you can hold more than 2), which is why I think it should be at least at 15. Also they said that the international version (Twin Hawk) is much easier, but people on this forum who played it (I didn't) say it's the opposite and that the international version is harder, because some enemies are pretty much impossible to kill due to bloated HP. Twin Hawk apparently has lower rank but the rank wasn't much of an issue in Daisenpuu (at least for loop 1), enemy HP is the hardest thing about the game and it's even worse in Twin Hawk.

Hishouzame and OutZone are just too high, as you said 10~12 makes more sense for Hishouzame and OutZone is just slightly harder.

The Kyuukyoku Tiger rating is nonsense, 24 would be an appropriate rating for autofire (and maybe +4-5 for non-auto? dealing with the bosses in the second half without auto sounds painful, at first I tried but eventually I gave up), even if I personally put it a bit lower. There's just no way this game is easier than Hishouzame. The game is long, you're slow, bullets are pretty fast, bombs take a while to go off, bosses generally require precise maneuvers to kill them, it has many traps and enemies ready to snipe you. If you make a mistake, the slow speed and bomb delay mean that it's hard to correct it. Not really an impossible game but it's challenging. Kyuukyoku Tiger and Dogyuun are definitely the two hardest Toaplan games after T-Oh and Same3 (though there's a world of difference between these two nightmares and Tiger/Dogyuun), which one of the two being harder being more of a matter of preference.

Same3 rating is a big joke, although 14 with autofire for the 2P version would be appropriate. But it's definitely wrong for 1P, very very wrong. No way it's easier than Hishouzame or equal to Kyuukyoku Tiger, it's one of the hardest 1-ALL there is. It's long, recovery is super hard (no speed after dying and it takes a ton of power-ups to have a decent shot), bullets are fast, bullet visibility in Stage 6 can be a problem, you need very precise routing as soon as stage 2, the bomb items feel like they run away from you, the weapon change items always go in your way while you want to keep blue 98% of the time (and if you pick red or green, it will take forever to find a blue item).

Slap Fight isn't too hard and it's short, but there's no way it's the same difficulty as Vimana. You need a decent amount of planning for Slap Fight, you don't have smart bombs, recovery is hard in some parts (though all of them can be routed, but a game rated 3 should be possible to do with almost no routing). Also there's the weapon system, if you bring the wrong weapon at the wrong place you may die (for example, enemies near the end of the game will greatly resist the laser), which is another thing you have to be careful about. Meanwhile in Vimana with autofire you just destroy everything. So yeah, I also think it should be a bit higher, like 6 or so.

Tatsujin requires a lot of memorization (though once you know all the traps it's not too hard overall), no way it's a 13, it takes a lot of time to get your first 1-ALL. As you said, it's at least 20, and it should stand a bit below Kyuukyoku Tiger (and Dogyuun). Probably their 5th hardest game (debatable with V-V which is a completely different style of game).
Did you really think that the 2P version of Hellfire was easier? To me it seemed harder because the on screen shot limit is less than the 1P version. It really makes the diagonal shot weapon pretty terrible in the 2P version since you can only have 1 shot on screen at a time when it's fully powered. I don't think the instant re spawns really help much either since it's not like you get a restock of bombs or anything. Usually just leads to a bunch of chain deaths with no hope of recovery.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Are there any advantages to playing Tatsujin Ou on 2P side?
BIL

Post by BIL »

Doesn't seem so from a quick glance at the short thread for 2P side differences.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

In Battle Bakraid, how do I trigger Player Select Phase 3? I found and used the code for Phase 2, and the 3 extra ships appear fine, but in videos on YT I see that there are an additional 2 ship possible below that possible.

Also, just watching another video, it looks like there's a way to trigger Extends automatically instead of collecting an icon? I'm guessing this is Phase 3 as well?
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Phase 3 is the same deal as Phase 2, just a code to input on the title screen.

Extends being automatic or item-based is determined by the region, USA region has automatic for example.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

trap15 wrote:Phase 3 is the same deal as Phase 2, just a code to input on the title screen.

Extends being automatic or item-based is determined by the region, USA region has automatic for example.
Ok awesome. Anyone know the code? Phase 2 code is the only one I find online.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

https://www.world-of-arcades.net/R8zing ... rets_2.htm
PLAYER SELECT: PHASE 3

Code [UP] [UP] [DOWN] [DOWN] [LEFT] [RIGHT] [LEFT] [RIGHT] [/B] [A] [Start]

Conditions

1. Start from the title screen
2. Insert Coin
3. watch the 20 sec. counter and enter each
part of the code right between the counting.

Important: The entering of this code has to be finished before the counter passes 10 ! To do so, you will have to start after coin insertion, right before it starts to count: up,19,up,18,down,17,down,16,left,15,right,14.left,..

After entering the [A] button a chime should sound.
tata! phase 3 unlocked !
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Thanks! For some reason the only one that came up in Google searches was the Phase 2 one.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Make sure you use quotation marks when searching. The vast majority of search engines nowadays, Google included, aren't really intelligent about what results they provide if you've got multiple words in the search.

Searching for something like bakraid phase 3 might pull up any number of search results with just bakraid or the word phase in it, even if it's phase 1 or phase 2.

Instead, use quotation marks to force it to search for specific phases like this:

bakraid "phase 3"

which guarantees you only see results that have the text string phase 3 in the results.
Steven

Post by Steven »

BIL wrote:Doesn't seem so from a quick glance at the short thread for 2P side differences.
Tasty thread, thanks! Lack of any mention of Raiden IV in there makes me wonder about that game, as well. Playing on 2P side is an option there, so I'd be surprised if it didn't have any differences given Raiden's history of 2P side being different from 1P side.