Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
XoPachi

Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

Post by XoPachi »

I feel like I asked this but was never answered or missed any responses.
Does Blue Wish Resurrection Plus have it's OST available?
I absolutely love this DDR style music in this game to pieces. This is stuff I'd have played in Stepmania in middle school. But I only have the stage 1 theme. I've never been able to find the rest of them.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

If you have the game, you already have the OST. BWR / BWR+ have the music files uncompressed in one of the game folders as mp3 or ogg files (can't remember which).
Ebbo

Post by Ebbo »

The music for BWR (and other x.x games if I recall correctly) is made by Cyber-Rainforce and their catalogue is available for free. Bunch of other games (such as Aero Chimera) use their tracks as well. Go check them out.
https://cyber-rainforce.net/2018/01/10/english-terms/
https://soundcloud.com/cyber_rainforce
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Oh goodness! Thank you both.
I'd kiss you if I were gay but, I'm not gay.
BIL

Post by BIL »

It's not gay if the balls don't touch ;3
Ice Beam

Post by Ice Beam »

Looking in the Akai Katana high score thread, I see that videos of the Xbox 360 version have been uploaded to Youtube.
Is there a way to upload videos to Youtube from within the Xbox 360, or do you need a capture card on a PC to do that? I'm also assuming there's an easier way if you emulate with xenia, in case someone wants to share info on that.
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

Ice Beam wrote:Looking in the Akai Katana high score thread, I see that videos of the Xbox 360 version have been uploaded to Youtube.
Is there a way to upload videos to Youtube from within the Xbox 360, or do you need a capture card on a PC to do that?
You need a capture card, yeah, unfortunately. There's no magic to it, you just have to make a video recording of the in-game replay viewer.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

One alternative is to get a good quality video camera or webcam, position it on a tripod (or makeshift tripod) and aim it at the screen. You may need to adjust the capture's refresh rate and whatnot, but myself and others have had good results doing this with software like OBS to do capturing of arcade cabinet CRTs when we don't have an actual direct capture device to record the signal. As long as the gameplay's pretty crisp and visible, it's a potential workaround.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Soooo...

What's the status on this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7V4UBgELkA
Ice Beam

Post by Ice Beam »

Thanks, CloudyMusic and BareKnuckleRoo.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

I just started a new job, and found this poor thing kicking around in the IT guy's room. Nobody knows where it came from. It LOOKS like a shmup, but I don't see anything I can really research. Anyone recognize this one?

Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Jonpachi wrote:I just started a new job, and found this poor thing kicking around in the IT guy's room. Nobody knows where it came from. It LOOKS like a shmup, but I don't see anything I can really research. Anyone recognize this one?
The only insight I can offer is that the writing looks to be traditional Chinese, you wouldn't write joystick that way in Japanese. So that points to a Hong Kong or Taiwanese origin for it.
Steven

Post by Steven »

What ever happened to those City Connection S-Tribute games? It's been almost 6 months since Layer Section. Has there been any news about the rest of them that I missed?
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

I think the next one is whatever is going on here:

https://twitter.com/claricedisc/status/ ... Zf3kw&s=19

The only English appears to be The Throbbing Nightmare, which I am hesitant to Google!
Lander

Post by Lander »

Utterly trivial question for japanese speakers: What's the english translation of the line Reco says in Mushihimesama when you grab a bomb pickup? It's now drilled into my head after hours of original mode practice.

It sounds like "Bomb Shimashita", which according to some tenuous googling could be "I'll (do a) Bomb" or "(I) Choose Bomb", among some less probable possibilities.

I assumed it meant "I got a bomb!" but my grasp on the language is nonexistent and the internet isn't backing up my intuition so what can you do.
SAM

Post by SAM »

For PC-Engine Dragon Spirit, there are several cheat codes being post at GameFAQs: 100 Continues, Arcade Mode Screen, Sound Test, Special Mode & Two Continues.

What is "Special Mode" for? What is its effect?
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Lander wrote:Utterly trivial question for japanese speakers: What's the english translation of the line Reco says in Mushihimesama when you grab a bomb pickup?
I'm hearing her say "Matte mashita!". It's a pretty common expression, usually used positively/as an expression of happiness, it means "I've been waiting! [for you, for this bomb to arrive, etc]".

edit: You can hear it at 58:12 here on this OST: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e64a1KMCNQ&t=3492s
Lander

Post by Lander »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
Lander wrote:Utterly trivial question for japanese speakers: What's the english translation of the line Reco says in Mushihimesama when you grab a bomb pickup?
I'm hearing her say "Matte mashita!". It's a pretty common expression, usually used positively/as an expression of happiness, it means "I've been waiting! [for you, for this bomb to arrive, etc]".
Ah nice, that sounds right - on top of becoming a highly relatable sentiment somewhere around the end of Stage 3 :) cheers!

One of these days I'll get the hang of the overlaying AoE sections and that godforsaken pre-boss turret gauntlet...
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Lander wrote:
BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
Ah nice, that sounds right - on top of becoming a highly relatable sentiment somewhere around the end of Stage 3 :) cheers!

One of these days I'll get the hang of the overlaying AoE sections and that godforsaken pre-boss turret gauntlet...
That area is where the bombs go. A tiny - but significant - speed bump; one that can end many a credit if you are not prepared.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

TransatlanticFoe wrote:I think the next one is whatever is going on here:

https://twitter.com/claricedisc/status/ ... Zf3kw&s=19

The only English appears to be The Throbbing Nightmare, which I am hesitant to Google!
Yeah, it's the Idol Janshi Suchie-Pai Saturn Tribute. All 6 Saturn Suchie-Pai games (strip mahjong with lead character art by Kenichi Sonada) in one collection (well, the Secret Album is DLC for preorders, but that's mainly a fan disk containing art and interviews.. it only has a handful of simple mini-games). Despite owning all 6 games on the Saturn I'll probably pick this up anyway as a long-time fan of the series.
Lander

Post by Lander »

To Far Away Times wrote:
Lander wrote:That area is where the bombs go. A tiny - but significant - speed bump; one that can end many a credit if you are not prepared.
Aye, I actually did a run after posting that last night and found that my bomb instinct has improved a whole lot since taking some time away to explore Garegga and Ketsui. Wasn't enough to net the 1CC, but it feels like the plateau is conquerable now.

On some level I'm kicking myself for playing on max lives + extend generosity on my one successful 1CC run - I'm almost certain I made it through within standard settings margins, but am too stubborn to let it count without default dips!
dark

Post by dark »

Are there any shmups like galaga or space invaders, but you control the horde of enemies rather than the lone ship at the bottom? Or perhaps theres a multiplayer mode where one player controls the horde and its functions while the other plays as the single hero ship?
guigui

Post by guigui »

Lander wrote:Utterly trivial question for japanese speakers: What's the english translation of the line Reco says in Mushihimesama when you grab a bomb pickup? It's now drilled into my head after hours of original mode practice.
This line of Recco I do not hear that often.

Similar question, about a line I do hear way more often : what does she say when loosing a ship in Futari ?
In French it sounds like "DÉ-GOU-TÉE", which roughly means "disgusted" as in "I'm disgusted to die this way" :lol:
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Lander wrote:Aye, I actually did a run after posting that last night and found that my bomb instinct has improved a whole lot since taking some time away to explore Garegga and Ketsui. Wasn't enough to net the 1CC, but it feels like the plateau is conquerable now.
Note that you can get the 1UP in Stage 3 by using a bomb in Mushihimesama so long as the bomb doesn't destroy any of the "turret" segments. Switching from one side of the screen to the next is the most dangerous part of getting the 1UP but you can use a bomb to make getting it a lot easier so long as the bomb doesn't destroy any of the segments.
guigui wrote:Similar question, about a line I do hear way more often : what does she say when loosing a ship in Futari ?
Translation guide here, there's two different lines per character depending on if you die in stage 1-2 or 3-5.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/xbox360/9 ... faqs/58508
pulsemod

Post by pulsemod »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:Note that you can get the 1UP in Stage 3 by using a bomb in Mushihimesama so long as the bomb doesn't destroy any of the "turret" segments.
is this really the case? I throw one bomb on straight on each half of those turret segments and the 1UP appears every time as long as they're all destroyed before the middle piece.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

It could be it's less strict than I remember and it's more like Donpachi where as long as the bomb doesn't kill the central thing holding the 1UP you'll get it.
SPM

Post by SPM »

I've played some credits in Eschatos-Hard and now I'm wondering what the intended difficulty was. The first half of the game seems absolutely balanced around Hard (and MUCH more fun), but the later areas are a bit crazy in that mode and Normal feels nice (the latter is just a bit too empty in some earlier levels, kinda dull). So what do you think? At least I'm sure the intended difficulty wasn't Hardest, that can't be! :lol:
BareKnuckleRoo wrote:as long as the bomb doesn't kill the central thing holding the 1UP you'll get it.
You can kill it with a bomb, there's no bomb requirement to get that 1UP in Mushi, just killing the central part last does the trick.
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

SPM wrote:I've played some credits in Eschatos-Hard and now I'm wondering what the intended difficulty was.
Here's a translation of an interview with the creators: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=41927

Hard was the intended difficulty, and then they added Normal and Easy afterwards based on feedback from people who felt Judgement Silversword's default difficulty was too hard.
[mushi 1up]
Huh, I knew it was one of the more forgiving 1ups to get but I never realized it was that forgiving!
SPM

Post by SPM »

That makes sense, thanks! Interesting interviews :D
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Do Thunder Force V on Saturn really have this "laggy" movement in lower ship speed? I have Mednafen emulator and so far this is the only shmup that I feel has laggy controls, tried others and they're fine, I wonder if this is emulator's internal lag (Saturn emulation is known for having huge input lag) or real hardware also have laggy movement for lower speed too.