Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BPzeBanshee

Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

Post by BPzeBanshee »

BareknuckleRoo wrote:
BulletMagnet wrote: If memory serves it doesn't matter if you bomb/die when it comes to the 1Up in the first Galuda - you might be thinking of the sequel, which requires you to (IIRC) destroy all the bits of the mid-boss and not bomb or die from there to the 1Up. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, of course.
I remember dying and bombing accidentally in Galuda 1 and still being able to get the 1UP... whatever the case, definitely its requirements are far less strict than the sequel.
Ah, guess I was getting mixed up then. I played ESPGaluda II's Omake! a lot and I think the requirement for that might've been no-missing. Glad to help anyway. :D
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

If I wanted to stumble around google to find obscure world record information, what is the best Japanese word(s) to use? I want to try to see if I can dig out some information on how high Japanese scores for Harmful Park are.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
n0rtygames

Post by n0rtygames »

edit: I was talking about Mushihimesama Futari, ofc.. >.>

How the fuck do you get the 1up on stage 5 without getting nommed by the dragon that comes in from the left? Just did another run of Original BL going for another 1cc and would've got the ALL if I'd had that. Stuck at 181st on the leaderboard and the scores above me would've been easily beatable as Larsa was down to like 30%

Fuck you game. Fuck you.
Last edited by n0rtygames on Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
facebook: Facebook
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Does the Reduce shield in Gradius III SNES actually reduce hitbox size, or does it just reduce sprite size to better represent the hitbox?
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

n0rtygames wrote:edit: I was talking about Mushihimesama Futari, ofc.. >.>

How the fuck do you get the 1up on stage 5 without getting nommed by the dragon that comes in from the left? Just did another run of Original BL going for another 1cc and would've got the ALL if I'd had that. Stuck at 181st on the leaderboard and the scores above me would've been easily beatable as Larsa was down to like 30%

Fuck you game. Fuck you.
Bomb the dinosaur before the 1-up to be able to move into position a little earlier. Just make sure the bomb doesn't destroy the building - bomb the dinosaur as early as possible.

Or, just bomb immediately after grabbing the 1-up.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

How difficult is Mushimesama Futari's Maniac mode considered to be? Harder or easier than Futari Original?
Giest118

Post by Giest118 »

To Far Away Times wrote:How difficult is Mushimesama Futari's Maniac mode considered to be? Harder or easier than Futari Original?
It took me roughly ten tries to 1cc Futari Original, while I've had at least fifty attempts at Maniac along with many hours in practice mode, and I still don't have the 1cc (though I'm close). So, yeah.

Part of where that comes from is that the score extends in Maniac mode are MUCH harder to get, involving a scoring system that's way harder to get accustomed to. It's a fun system once you figure out how to work it, but it's also very frustrating.
ookitarepanda

Post by ookitarepanda »

Reposting because Giest made fun of me :cry:

A friend seems to remember something about the 4th button doing something in Bee Storm, like it would change the laser from what it normally looks like to the smooth laser in Dodonpachi. But nothing happens on my cart. Anybody have some insight onto this? There's really nothing I can find on the internet about it.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

ookitarepanda wrote:Reposting because Giest made fun of me :cry:

A friend seems to remember something about the 4th button doing something in Bee Storm, like it would change the laser from what it normally looks like to the smooth laser in Dodonpachi. But nothing happens on my cart. Anybody have some insight onto this? There's really nothing I can find on the internet about it.
The weapons change but *only in later revisions* of DDP2 I think. It's been covered here on the forums before albeit quite a while ago.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Shikigami no Shiri 3 questions:

Who's the best character generally. The girl with green hair (Reika?) has Cave style mechanics and seems easy to get x8 with when fire is held down and she's bullet skimming. Is she the one most people use?

EDITED out the other two questions, there's some info on this in the strat section I missed on first glance. ;)

EDIT2: Balls, the strat section isn't very good lol. Ok, so my guesswork so far:

X8 score at the foot of the screen constitutes life restocks? What constitutes bomb replenishment? What the hell is High Tension, b/c Reika doesn't have a bomb, she just gets a red globe and what seems a second of invulnerability before being susceptible to damage again, and High Tension max is a mystery to me, since it doesn't seem to inflict any additional damage on bosses etc.

Come on Shiki people, input!
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

Squire Grooktook

I think I already know the answer to this, but will region locked ps1 games work on a ps3?
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Squire Grooktook wrote:I think I already know the answer to this, but will region locked ps1 games work on a ps3?
Nope.

Back to my Shikigami question plz. :D

BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

I'm not a Shiki expert, but...
Skykid wrote:Who's the best character generally.
A lot of people seem to like the "B" version of Kim, as her (or his, in the previous games) Shiki attack can do lots of damage quickly if you can get in close enough, though Kuga is also easy to get high scores with as he can just hang back and graze while his helper attacks things. Reika/Time Gal is easy to use, and not a bad way to get used to the game, though I couldn't say much about her scoring potential or whatnot. Personally I like messing around with Roger A and his splash damage bombs, or occasionally the girl with the bullet-absorbing rabbit, but that's just me.
X8 score at the foot of the screen constitutes life restocks? What constitutes bomb replenishment?
To the best of my knowledge both lives and bombs are replenished by scoring; getting lots of "x8" kills and coin collects obviously boosts your score more quickly, but (I think) doesn't affect anything directly. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.
What the hell is High Tension, b/c Reika doesn't have a bomb, she just gets a red globe and what seems a second of invulnerability before being susceptible to damage again, and High Tension max is a mystery to me, since it doesn't seem to inflict any additional damage on bosses etc.
IIRC "high tension" just means you're close enough to a threat that the warning beep sound effect goes off, and your "normal" shot becomes more powerful until you're out of danger. Reika does have a bomb, though it just freezes enemies for a few seconds and allows her to get out of tight spots; High Tension Max (which also costs one bomb), as you say, does give a moment of invincibility, but more importantly makes all targets temporarily "x8" even if you're not grazing anything, and makes them drop more coins than usual. Basically a way to use bombs to boost score instead of defensively.
AntiFritz

Post by AntiFritz »

I always found either Reika or roger the best/easiest characters to use. Roger can destroy bosses in a matter of seconds using his secondary attack.

Reika's bomb is when she yells "TIME STOP" and freezes time for a few seconds.

I always thought you gained back both bombs and lives gradually over time. With them getting a big bonus if you managed to beat a level without dying/bombing.

High tension max uses up one bomb stock in exchange for high tension for a limited time. (gives X8 multiplier and upgraded shots without having to graze. I'm not sure if it makes you stronger like normally grazing though.).
RegalSin wrote:Rape is very shakey subject. It falls into the catergory of Womens right, Homosexaul rights, and Black rights.
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Post by MOSQUITO FIGHTER »

Why didn't you guys ever tell me about Imperium?
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Thanks loads to the dudes above. Will experiment with Roger and Kuga to see how I get on.
To the best of my knowledge both lives and bombs are replenished by scoring; getting lots of "x8" kills and coin collects obviously boosts your score more quickly, but (I think) doesn't affect anything directly. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.
All I've ascertained is, the little mini X8 score counter at the bottom left of the screen depletes back to 0 once you get a life restock. Bomb restocks I'm not sure about. It doesn't seem to be a simple doling out of extends based on overall score though, but again I'm not 100% sure.
High Tension Max (which also costs one bomb), as you say, does give a moment of invincibility, but more importantly makes all targets temporarily "x8" even if you're not grazing anything, and makes them drop more coins than usual. Basically a way to use bombs to boost score instead of defensively.
Gotcha, so it's pointless using it on bosses, it's more to make popcorn enemies as valuable as possible. Interesting, I'd assume skilled players have no use for it then, b/c they can just graze and save the stocks for bombs?
Reika's bomb is when she yells "TIME STOP" and freezes time for a few seconds.
Everything you guys told me is great, however I'm now in fear over the next question... Shiki III is a 3 button game isn't it? I've never seen this Time Stop bomb, so I assumed the HT was the bomb, because the cab only has TWO BUTTONS ON IT >_<

No wonder you get 3 credits per token

AntiFritz

Post by AntiFritz »

Its a 3 button game (4 if you include autofire).
RegalSin wrote:Rape is very shakey subject. It falls into the catergory of Womens right, Homosexaul rights, and Black rights.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

AntiFritz wrote:Its a 3 button game (4 if you include autofire).
Seriously.

That damn arcade. First I had to force a clear on DFK with no 4th button, now I have to force a clear on Shiki 3 with no bombs! I'm just going to take my translation app in and see if I can get the staff to sort it out. The pisser of it is, the cab next door is a 3 button, but it's Raiden IV, so it only needs two!

BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

That sounds incredibly lame. It's one thing to deal with a lack of autofire in a Cave game, but it's quite another to have a broken button (or a game in a cab with too few buttons to play it at all). You'd think they'd at least make sure to work out how many buttons each game uses...
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

Squire Grooktook wrote:Does the Reduce shield in Gradius III SNES actually reduce hitbox size, or does it just reduce sprite size to better represent the hitbox?
It reduces the hitbox size.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Skykid wrote:Gotcha, so it's pointless using it on bosses, it's more to make popcorn enemies as valuable as possible. Interesting, I'd assume skilled players have no use for it then, b/c they can just graze and save the stocks for bombs?
Most of the time it's probably best used mid-stage, but I assume there are situations where tricky-to-pick-off boss sections become easier to get top dollar for if you expend a HT Max during the fight (I'm not experienced enough to give any concrete examples though). As for the second query, as I mentioned earlier HT Max not only x8's everything but makes enemies drop more coins than usual, so it's definitely something you'll want to use if you're playing for score.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

BareknuckleRoo wrote:You'd think they'd at least make sure to work out how many buttons each game uses...
Tell me about it. It's a beautiful (huge) two-floor arcade with about 15 staff at any one point, but I told them the DFK cab was missing a button about a month ago, and still no change. I'm going to demand they put an extra button on Shiki, there's 2 free plugs there, so it ain't hard to fit, but DFK is in a 3 button panel sadly:)

BulletMagnet wrote: Most of the time it's probably best used mid-stage, but I assume there are situations where tricky-to-pick-off boss sections become easier to get top dollar for if you expend a HT Max during the fight (I'm not experienced enough to give any concrete examples though). As for the second query, as I mentioned earlier HT Max not only x8's everything but makes enemies drop more coins than usual, so it's definitely something you'll want to use if you're playing for score.
Gotcha. ;) At the moment I'm using it as a moment's invincibility in place of the bomb. No choice!

Edit: mission accomplished! Used my translator and worked with the technician to add a button and adjust the menu. I also spotted they had extends set to hard, and switched it to default.

Straight to the top of the leaderboards! :)

BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Is that native aspect ratio or is the screen distorting it?
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Hey, nice going, Skykid!
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

BPzeBanshee wrote:Is that native aspect ratio or is the screen distorting it?
Should be native. Type X2 game in a Vewlix right?
emphatic wrote:Hey, nice going, Skykid!
Thanks Emph! Really happy I got something new to focus on in the arcade now (between KOF bouts.) I'll try to get them to add a 4th button to DFK when I'm done with Shiki.

n0rtygames

Post by n0rtygames »

CStarFlare wrote:Bomb the dinosaur before the 1-up to be able to move into position a little earlier. Just make sure the bomb doesn't destroy the building - bomb the dinosaur as early as possible.

Or, just bomb immediately after grabbing the 1-up.
Well, I seem to be able to get it 99% of the time now. Just 1cc'd original hitting Stage 5 with 4 lives in stock and actually had stock to spare when I took Larsa down. Bombed like a tremendous coward though. Main thing I think was getting my head focussed and remembering to try to control the left side of the screen after the mid boss.

Bloody love this game. Really should get back on to DDP but I have this stupid masochistic need to work my way up to God mode.
facebook: Facebook
chempop

Post by chempop »

Did Gun Frontier on Saturn included a 2nd disk?
I just got a copy with only the game and am curious because the jewel is a double case.
Also, did Prikura Daisakusen have a 2nd disk?

[edit] just read this:
The Saturn version is part of the "Arcade Gears" series which come in a double-disc case but only carry one disc. I guess the thicker case is meant to make the buyer feel they have bought something more grand than they really did. The extra space is for the small booklet which comes with the game which could have fit in with a single-disc case.
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Prikura Daisakusen has a double case to house a (rather beautiful) calendar bonus that comes in a plastic sleeve. It's too bulky to have fit in a single cd case along w/the inst. Manual. ;)

Squire Grooktook

What's is the hitbox size in the original Dodonpachi based on pixel x pixels? I would check the thread in the strat board, but Avast keeps giving me a malware warning every time I click it lol.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Aleksei

Post by Aleksei »

Is Zoradius, the Gradius tribute in Zone of the Enders: 2nd runner, and the Gradius style scene in Bayoneta make those two games Shmups like? Thats a rhetorical question really. I played both back to back and found the shmups parts to be the most entertaining....
There is even a Rick Dom like mecha that shoots with its cannon, what a mash up!
Image Image
[Cabinet 007]