Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
xxx1993

Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

Post by xxx1993 »

Anyone know the voices of the characters in Ginga Force? Are they known voice actors or just for that game?
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

That site doesn't have an entry on Ginga Force.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

the world knows not of our struggle :mrgreen:
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Why don't you look it up, then? I just want to know if they're known seiyuus or just for that game.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Blinge wrote:Also why skip shields at all ?
Picking up powerups when at full power contributes significantly to rank (moreso than picking up powerups otherwise). This includes picking up shields when you're at maximum durability but not maximum upgrade level. I think it's optimal to take a hit every time before picking up a shield powerup, but it's not worth the risk unless you're very good at doing that. Destroying boss parts is still the biggest contributor to rank.
xxx1993 wrote:Why don't you look it up, then?
Maybe because you're the one who wants to know:
xxx1993 wrote:I just want to know if they're known seiyuus or just for that game.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

The credits are all in Japanese, how am I supposed to know? I can't at least get some help around here?
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Shepardus wrote:
Blinge wrote:Also why skip shields at all ?
Picking up powerups when at full power contributes significantly to rank (moreso than picking up powerups otherwise). This includes picking up shields when you're at maximum durability but not maximum upgrade level. I think it's optimal to take a hit every time before picking up a shield powerup, but it's not worth the risk unless you're very good at doing that. Destroying boss parts is still the biggest contributor to rank.
Man Shep dropping that knowledge. Thanks man.
I didn't know that about boss parts, and that's quite hard to avoid doing as well!
Where can I find all the correct rank information? So I shouldn't limit my shot on stages like rando says?
Maybe because you're the one who wants to know:
:mrgreen:
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Blinge wrote:Where can I find all the correct rank information? So I shouldn't limit my shot on stages like rando says?
I was doing some investigation here. It's incomplete, but should have enough to get a general sense of what to pay attention to, and it includes a MAME cheat to view the rank yourself if you want.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Geez, and I thought Blinge's clear was impressive as it is without realizing the rank is insanely punishing for doing mundane things.
reckon luck

Post by reckon luck »

What shmups are exclusive to Japan PS4, besides the yet-unported Shottriggers and Darius?

(Actually I guess Darius won't count for long because of the Switch Cozmic thing)
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Ketsui Deathtiny comes to mind, though obviously it'll play on a non-JP system if you import it.
reckon luck

Post by reckon luck »

Yeah, Shottriggers Ketsui and Sorcer Striker. Besides that though? I can't think of anything.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Can anyone tell me what Yuki's Engrish greeting in Game Tengoku CrusinMix Special is? The only thing I can get out of it is, "I'm Yuki Itou! I'm very happy to meet you! International shooting party", something like that.
nesrulz

Post by nesrulz »

copy-paster wrote:Anyone can get DOJ Tamashii run on newer version of MAME? I tried it before but it said there were two missing files, and all of the roms I downloaded on the net does not have that two files.
You need ddpdojt romset.
0.194: Changed description to 'DoDonPachi Dai-Ou-Jou Tamashii (V201, China)'. Renamed (ddpdojh) to (ddpdojt).
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

What happens if you run out of time during the boss battles of Ginga Force again? Does it result in an instant Game Over?
Marc

Post by Marc »

Wondering which game someone well-versed in Toaplan shooters would consider a good starting point for someone wanting to try and tackle one seriously? I've played most of them over the years, but in sporadic bursts, and not with the sorts of frequency that allows me to compare them properly. Was playing some Twin Hawk last night and decided I'm going to sit down and dedicate some time to at least one of them, because I absolutely love their style.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

VV would be my choice.
My lord, I have come for you.
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

Daisenpuu (JP original of Twin Hawk) is apparently easier and more balanced, give that a try first. Also, once you have enemy placements memorized, you can pop a squadron and just hang out at the very top of the screen. See here.

Vimana is a solid game with rad music and is Toaplan's easiest STG by far, and one of the easiest AC STGs period (assuming you use autofire).

Once you can 1CC those, maybe try something a bit more conventional, like Flying Shark, Twin Cobra, or Truxton.

As for the rest: I really like Dogyuun for its presentation but it's a purely spectacle/survival game and not very deep. Tatsujin Ou, V-V, and Batsugun explored some new ideas that lead to danmaku games if you wanted something slightly more modern. Tatsujin Ou is really difficult though, as is Fire Shark/Same Same. Zero Wing is a merely ok hori, IMO, and the less said about Hellfire the better. That leaves Slap Fight and Tiger Heli, which I don't really have an opinion on, neither good nor bad. Just try them and see if you like them enough to play for 1CC or score. Both games are quite short in terms of loop time, I will say.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Can you play Vimana with music? I can recall, and it's hard to keep track of a dozen MAME variants. It'd be great to, since its soundtrack is fantastic.
KAI

Post by KAI »

Vimana and other Toaplan games have sound since mame 0.189 iirc. Get any build after that and you will hear all the blip blops.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Oh man, am I that far behind? I think I'm using MamePlus 164 or something. I bet it's because I tend to stick to the MAMEs with GUIs. I should really break that habit.
KAI

Post by KAI »

Using a portable gui for mame is always a good alternative, you can just replace the mame executable every time a new one comes out, but you will retain all your configs/info/cosmetics on the gui.
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

I've been using Arcade64 (MAMEUIFX fork) for a few years now. It doesn't have M+'s custom buttons but it does remove all the medal garbage and non-working drivers from the game list. And it keeps up-to-date with baseline MAME.

If you want sound in your Toaplan games, you'll have to find new romsets for the ones that didn't have it before.
garbanzox

Post by garbanzox »

I just ordered the first two Psikyo collections for my Switch, and I'm wondering if there are other worthwhile shmups with physical releases for the system?
Honster

Post by Honster »

Hey there, I was wondering if anyone who has bought Hellsinker from here: https://tonnor.booth.pm/items/1187721

knows if it either includes an English version download or if its compatible with an existing English translation patch. This link https://www.gensokyo.org/archives/2481 appears to be the English patch for the old version, but I have no idea if it will work with the currently purchasable version of the game.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

garbanzox wrote:I just ordered the first two Psikyo collections for my Switch, and I'm wondering if there are other worthwhile shmups with physical releases for the system?
Darius Cozmic Collection (Standard Edition - you won't find the Limited Edition for a good price but everything essential is in the Standard)
Psyvariar Delta (seriously, probably one of the best shooters around at the moment)
RXN got a physical, but I haven't played it enough to say if it's worthwhile yet. Starting to play it though.

There were releases of R-Type Dimensions and Danmaku Unlimited 3 through Strictly Limited and Limited Run Games respectively, but the ship sailed on those some time ago. I don't know about R-Type Dimensions, but the Danmaku Unlimited 3 is certainly worthwhile no matter how you play it.

TLDR: order Psyvariar Delta from PlayAsia or something. And make sure you have a controller with a half-decent d-pad.
Knightmare

Post by Knightmare »

Are there performance differences between the US and JPN versions of Xevious 3D/G+? I was thinking about getting it on the Japanese PSN but I noticed this on the game's Wikpedia page: "Most reviewers also found that the slowdown is so prevalent that it significantly interferes with enjoyment of the game.[6][7][8] Shawn Smith of Electronic Gaming Monthly contradicted this, reporting that while the Japanese version has considerable slowdown, it had been "virtually eliminated" from the North American release.[5]"

Is there any truth to that, and if so, is the slowdown at all different on PS3/Vita?
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

I'm playing Thundercross 2 at the moment and I was watching a video where someone stacked all the options into the center of the ship. How do you do that?
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

To Far Away Times wrote:I'm playing Thundercross 2 at the moment and I was watching a video where someone stacked all the options into the center of the ship. How do you do that?
Shameless self-quotation:

"The option trick requires a rather specific set-up, I had to experiment for a while before I figured it out. In addition to your regular button for moving the options around, you need another one, this one with autofire (I find that 7.5hz works the best). Now you have to place the options as close to your ship as you can with the regular button, then hold down the dedicated button and it should work. It's a precise affair, though, you have to have them really close together before you can apply the actual trick. I'm absolutely certain you need to do this (and have 30hz autofire for your regular shots) from loop 6 onwards, it's impossible to breach the barrier in stage 4 otherwise."

It should be noted that while this stunt is required for high loops, you can make it through the first three loops or so just fine without it. It's nonetheless satisfying to pulverize bosses in mere moments, of course.