Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Issac Zachary

Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

Post by Issac Zachary »

Sengoku Strider wrote:
Issac Zachary wrote:Question... is there any way to buy The Simpsons Arcade game for PS3?
It was delisted years ago, so unfortunately no. I don't think it's available anywhere outside of emulation.
Thanks! Too bad they delisted it. I wonder why they did.

I guess now I have to decide what to do with the PS3. I do like the Gran Turismo 5 game I got with it. Now I own Gran Turismo 2, 3, 4 and 5.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Issac Zachary wrote: Thanks! Too bad they delisted it. I wonder why they did.
It's not uncommon with older licensed properties. The publisher has to pay to renew the license, so often these games only come back for a year or so, as sales tend to be heavily front-loaded anyway. lt happened with X-Men the Arcade Game and D&D Chronicles of Mystaria as well.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

el_rika wrote:Thanks very much, so that's the purpose of the (up to) 9999 number in BL.
As far as I can tell, the Stage Counter is also used in all modes that have it (1.5 Ori/Ult - BL Ori) to determine the value of collected gems. The higher the Stage Counter, the more points you get when collecting gems.
Ytsurk

Looking for a game

Post by Ytsurk »

Ok so this game came out in the early 2000's it's a top down shmup that had a very similar esthetic to doom, all the bosses were big and had different parts to destroy, giant mechanical fleshy things. If anyone has any idea what it's called I would love to know, I grew up playing and would like to revisit.
pedroTFP

Post by pedroTFP »

EDIT: sorry, wrong section.
Last edited by pedroTFP on Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hornet

Post by Hornet »

Does anyone have any first-hand experience with the PC Engine Mini versions of Gradius 1?

Regarding the "near arcade" version:
- Is it the actual arcade game or just an enhanced version of the original PCE release?
- Does it run well?

Regarding the PCE version:
- Does it fix the excessive slowdown?
BareKnuckleRoo

Re: Looking for a game

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Ytsurk wrote:Ok so this game came out in the early 2000's it's a top down shmup that had a very similar esthetic to doom, all the bosses were big and had different parts to destroy, giant mechanical fleshy things. If anyone has any idea what it's called I would love to know, I grew up playing and would like to revisit.
This is a bit vague; so far we know it's an organic/flesh themed shmup that's top down, but don't have any real info on anything else in the game.

Is it a 4:3 aspect ratio with a vertical screen? Is it a vertizontal game (vertical with a horizontal aspect like Giga Wing/Mars Matrix? Is it for arcade, a console, for PC? Is it single player only, 2 player? Do you remember what the player ship looked like, do you remember any specifics about player weapons or powerups, did you have a bomb, do you remember any details about enemies or bosses?

Was the aesthetic something like Galshell 2 or Gynoug?
G3n3raL86

Post by G3n3raL86 »

So, there are so many Touhou games on Steam, both official and fanmade ones, so i could use some recommendations:) Already got Fantastic Danmaku Festival and from what little i've played, it felt nice:)
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

Does anyone happen to know whether Gradius II was reproduced in the PC Engines Memories series? I would like to get the game again but I don't want a reproduction. For some reason I had trouble finding a complete list of games released in the Memories series.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Hi Farm,

Stevens here - long time listener first time caller -

In Garegga you want your rank below what % when you start stage 6?

Thanks.
My lord, I have come for you.
leodash

Post by leodash »

How did Tagami(???) has different colors in this Shikigami no Shiro video?

https://youtu.be/Q2euDxDzSvg
Mishi

Post by Mishi »

leodash wrote:How did Tagami(???) has different colors in this Shikigami no Shiro video?

https://youtu.be/Q2euDxDzSvg
Press up/down on the character select. I've seen images of 'player 3' color schemes, but I'm not sure what version allows them or if it's just concept art or something.
Play Guilty Gear
leodash

Post by leodash »

Thank you!
Licorice

Post by Licorice »

So, was Under Defeat influenced by Toaplan's Kyukyoku Tiger?

Everyone seems to think so, because they're both helicopter military shmups with a vaguely historical sci-fi aesthetic.

But have the developers ever actually said as much?
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

Kyukyoku Tiger had so much influence on the whole genre that it'd be hard for Under Defeat not to catch some.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
BIL

Post by BIL »

Licorice wrote:So, was Under Defeat influenced by Toaplan's Kyukyoku Tiger?

Everyone seems to think so, because they're both helicopter military shmups with a vaguely historical sci-fi aesthetic.

But have the developers ever actually said as much?
As far as 1980s heli STGs go, I associate UD more with Taito's Gyrodine, both incorporating a bit of IRL helicoptering via tilting shots. (I guess the more conventional locked forward shot is pretty heli-esque too, tbf)

UD also shares GD's take on the classic Xevious air/ground attack, albeit automated (UD's main shot auto-targets ground enemies in its path, while your secondary guns fire straight ahead at all times).

There's the floating, colour-cycling pickups, but that's really a Toaplan thing in general. And while both KT and UD have a Bomb Button, the latter's works like Tatsujin's - instant screen-wiping salvation, as opposed to the nervous delay and limited blast radius of KT (an ethos copied by the absolute undeniable Tiger clone, Raiden).

Going down the rabbithole a bit, UD developers G-Rev feature ex-Taito personnel... but while Gyrodine was published by Taito, it was developed by Crux, a developer key to what would become Toaplan (see also Orca).

This is the kind of tight, no-flab genre where resemblances are bound to show up in the wake of supremely popular, influential games, even if the STGs in question don't actually play much alike. I'm personally convinced Compile's signature "body ram" burst invincibility prefigured Psyvariar's charmingly-monikered, singularly unstoppable "Invisible Time" (aka RUBBIN TIME Image), even if the triggers are utterly dissimilar (pickup VS buzz).

(I loved your observation, Mortificator, that noted Ikeda favourite Salamander also features monster slowdown AKA focus movement when you depress the [fire] button while fully-armed Image)
WarpedByTheNHK

Post by WarpedByTheNHK »

G3n3raL86 wrote:So, there are so many Touhou games on Steam, both official and fanmade ones, so i could use some recommendations:) Already got Fantastic Danmaku Festival and from what little i've played, it felt nice:)
Jaimers is quite the Touhou expert and he said the best fangame on steam is Elegant Impermanence of Sakura. I am a lot less experienced with Touhou than he is but I also agree it is really good.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Blazing Star's Stage 3 boss, the one that starts off in a downward shaft, what the heck's going on with the hitbox on its green spread laser attack the lower section uses? I can't figure out when it's active or not, why I'm not getting hit when it touches me, why I get hit when I do, how to dodge it reliably, and so on. Someone, please enlighten me so I can understand just what the heck is going on.
Sengoku Strider

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:Blazing Star's Stage 3 boss, the one that starts off in a downward shaft, what the heck's going on with the hitbox on its green spread laser attack the lower section uses? I can't figure out when it's active or not, why I'm not getting hit when it touches me, why I get hit when I do, how to dodge it reliably, and so on. Someone, please enlighten me so I can understand just what the heck is going on.
I'm sure someone understands it better than I do, but even if it looks like it's all over you, you seem to be safe unless you move.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Okay, having played this more and experimented with it, it's basically an attack where the lasers themselves telegraph the attack. You have to not be touching a laser when the beams are shut off, but you can move through them safely until then.
Master O

Post by Master O »

What are the gameplay differences between the Special versions of Darius and Darius Gaiden vs the original ones?
Sturmvogel Prime

Post by Sturmvogel Prime »

The extra Version of Darius rebalances the difficulty once more compared with the "New Version", while the first half of the game is easier, the second half will be harder as the game will assume you'll bring the Silver Hawk on a higher power level.

Darius Gaiden Extra Version is an arrangement of the original game, the stages are changed (Example: Zone A is a Crusty Hammer stage) and starting the game as Tiat will send you throug a special mode where you'll be playing all the stages.

I have a shmup related question: ¿What does the off-voices of the Stage Result screens of Ginga Force say (Both stage clear in all ranks and Mission Failed)?, I ask this since the PS4 and PC ports didn't added subtitles for those or the intro/ending lyrics.
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup and video game reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki
Lord British

Post by Lord British »

So...I have an Xbox One S as my most current system. My friend is dangling a PS4 Pro in front of me for $200 (also I can pay him in $50 installments). Sure it would be great to play the handfuls of PS4 exclusives, but all I really want to use it for is for the M2ST games like ESP.Rade and Sorcer Striker. I already have Battle Garegga and Dangun Feveron on the Xbox One. So it feels like I'm spending too much for too little, and for $300 more i can get a PS5.

I'm just a bit torn. Do I get a PS4 used and then get a Xbox One Series X? Do I miss out once again on the the greater amount of exclusives for PS? Also I'm partial to the Forza series for racing. UGH

What are your thoughts? Normally I'd be patient but I'm in a particularly rare situation where my money situation is temporarily favorable.

PS5 users, are all the M2ST games available to buy on the PSN store? Is my Japanese PSN account for PS3 the same account I use for PS5? Sorry for stupid questions.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

If you care mostly about shmups and/or retro arcade gaming then I'd say its tough to predict at the beginning of a generation which console will be good. For example I never would've predicted that the 360 would become such a beast for shmups over the PS3.

Companies like M2 and Hanster might change focus to next gen eventually, but when and to what degree remains to be seen. PS5 has back compat going for it, but we also dont know how well every release will work going forward.

Switch and PS4 are on fire right now for retro releases so it's hard to imagine M2 leaving those behind any time soon. Especially if a Switch "pro" model comes out I could see that being the destination for shmups for some time in the future. I see it as a bird in hand vs two in the bush kind of thing. Go with the console that has what you want now. Upgrade to PS5 later if it does get good games down the road.

I would say take up that good deal on PS4 and if you've got money to burn pick up a Switch too. You've got M2 Sega Ages and other exclusives on there as well. Also keep an open mind to other good shmups like the ones on Hamster Arcade Archives and the upcoming Capcom Arcade Stadium.
reckon luck

Post by reckon luck »

One fairly sure bet is Switch getting more and more Japan-centric games, including shmups. Nintendo is doing ridiculous numbers over there right now.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

I hear PS5 is off to a really bad start in Japan. Sony seems to be focusing more and more on the Western market. If Nintendo does release a more powerful version of the Switch equivalent to PS4 or better they could put the Japanese console market on total lockdown. Actually they already have that market on lockdown.

I'm sure the PS5 will catch on over there at some point. Maybe once there are some big DQ and FF titles. Or a new Monster Hunter. But you can see that Capcom's big new Monster Hunter game that will probably be like a license to print money in Japan is going to be Switch exclusive.

I agree that Switch will have a long life for shmups. Even as the PS4 may start to dwindle. Notice how Crimzon Clover and the upcoming Raiden IV Mikado Remix didn't bother with a PS4 release.
Sengoku Strider

Honestly if you already have an Xbox the Switch makes way more sense as a second console because it's much more differentiated from the X than the PS4 is. Though it was a bit late to the ShotTriggers party, so it doesn't have Sorcer Striker.

But if pricewise that doesn't make sense, there are a lot of great reasons to own a PS4 beyond STGs. That God of War game really is as good as everyone says it is, and I never cared about that series at all. Bloodborne kicks ass and can be had cheaply. JRPGs aplenty if you're into that. Fighting games Xbox doesn't have - like Street Fighter V - and larger online communities even for the ones the Xb does have. And for multiplats that Pro will be more powerful than your S.
Rastan78 wrote:I hear PS5 is off to a really bad start in Japan. Sony seems to be focusing more and more on the Western market. If Nintendo does release a more powerful version of the Switch equivalent to PS4 or better they could put the Japanese console market on total lockdown. Actually they already have that market on lockdown.
I really, really hope they do, and that the horsepower is used for something other than 4k. If there's an achilles heel to the Switch, it's a little more latency in titles that aren't by M2. I'm hoping a hardware revision can take care of that and turn the Switch into the STG god console.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

I am once again asking...what is this kind of music called?
https://youtu.be/ALL-FeMlf0w

Not so much the instrumentation. I feel like the melody is derivative of a type of genre. I get that vibe from a few tracks in this game. I love the soundtrack for this one.
Master O

Post by Master O »

1) What are the specific game play differences between the Japan and World versions of Konami's Thunder Cross?

2) Are there any specific game play differences between the Japan and World versions of Konami's Thunder Cross 2?
BIL

Post by BIL »

Off the top of my head, Thunder Cross's World version deletes the game's distinctive Option spacing mechanic. Now they just hover in place. It also trades the diverse special weapons (flamethrower, laser, grenades) for a generic limited-use bomb, which is called "LIL BABY" in what I hope was a bizarrely nuke-a-riffic nod to the ship's name, "Blue Thunder 45." Thunder Cross USA: Fat Man and Lil Baby.

It also swaps the order of stages 1 (outskirts) and 2 (city).

World, Japan (Old) and Japan (New) are included in the Arcade Archives release. AFAIK Japan New made the loops tougher after players cleaned Old's clock with ease.

EDIT: all this IIRC was bugging me, so I fired up ACA Thunder Cross. It has four versions: Japan (Old), Japan (New), USA, and Europe. It's USA that makes the changes described above. Europe retains the Japanese system and first stage, but I'm not sure if anything else was altered.