Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BareKnuckleRoo

Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Ghegs wrote:EDIT: Derp, BIL and BareKnuckleRoo already covered Youjyuden
I said the same thing to myself when I realized after posting that BIL had already mentioned it. :lol:
SPM

Post by SPM »

Oh I didn't realise either that the "Y" was already covered XD :oops:
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
Creamy Goodness

Post by Creamy Goodness »

Just saw Play Asia has the Korean version of Battle Garegga for $40 which seems like a steal versus the Japanese and highway robbery SLG version. Wanted to see if anyone had this version. Is there a way to switch the menus to English? Not sure how I feel about everything being in Korean.

Wow doing some Googling it looks like the JP version doesn't even come with a disc.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Creamy Goodness wrote:Just saw Play Asia has the Korean version of Battle Garegga for $40 which seems like a steal versus the Japanese and highway robbery SLG version. Wanted to see if anyone had this version. Is there a way to switch the menus to English? Not sure how I feel about everything being in Korean.

Wow doing some Googling it looks like the JP version doesn't even come with a disc.
Yeah, I have the Korean version, and no, unfortunately you can't change the menu language.

But M2 did put up an English language version of the manual on their website showing what everything says:

https://m2stg.com/en/battle-garegga/ps4 ... 5.php#sec2
Nugs

Post by Nugs »

I have the korean version too.
I just used a translate app on my phone initially to figure out the menu options.
Creamy Goodness

Post by Creamy Goodness »

Kind of sucks that is the case, but I guess it beats the absurdly priced English version or the discless Japanese version.
jehu

Post by jehu »

I’m trying to hone my move and shoot chops ahead of April’s Hishouzame port. What’s the word on the X68000 version - is it a solid port, significantly easier or harder than the arcade?
KimagureMachibuse

Post by KimagureMachibuse »

How does the rank work in Salamander and to extension Japanese Life Force?

Considering these 2 games have instant respawning rather than checkpoints like other Gradius games i wonder if the rank works differently i have noticed that having a laser or ripple laser and multiple options on bosses make them move much faster and a bit more trickier but im not sure if thats a thing added in Salamander or is a staple for gradius games and considering Japanese Life Force has a different power uo system i wonder if the rank works differently in that game too.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

To Far Away Times wrote:In pursuit of the most trivial of things I thought it might be fun to try to 1CC one shmup for every letter of the alphabet. But I can't think of many shmups that start with the following letters:

Q
U
Y

Any games you would recommend?
Under Defeat!!! And I'm frankly shocked nobody beat me to mentioning that one. Another "U" game is Undefined Fantastic Object, one of the main series Touhou shooters.

For Q... I dig Q-Yo Blaster, a very weird horizontal scrolling danmaku that released about 4 years ago. It's on Steam, Switch, PS4. If anyone is curious and happens to see this really soon, it's currently $0.99 on Steam (90% off), but only for the next 8+ hours... (though I'd guess it might go on sale semi-regularly).

Y is pretty tough, my only (kinda out there) suggestion that was not previously mentioned might be Yurukill: The Calumnation Games, which is coming out this year. Adventure/Visual Novel/STG hybrid, with the shooting game stuff done by G.Rev... but because it's not a pure STG, not sure whether it's something where a 1CC is even viable. But maybe there will be options to play just the shooting segments in some sort of "arcade mode"?
Steven

Post by Steven »

Are there any meaningful differences between the 2 player version of Kyuukyoku Tiger and Twin Cobra or is just the title screen?
leevanf

Post by leevanf »

Hi everyone! I've been going crazy trying to find the name of a shmup I played back in 2004-2007 on Windows XP.

The game had a very distinct "technological" art style and HUD. It wasn't pixel art, and it wasn't cartoonized either. Something akin to the style of Ginga Force, but more low poly. The start menu had around 8 options and the font was red. While trying to look for it, I've found that Genetos has a certain part that looks like the one I'm looking for. It's at 3:22 (in case the automatic timestamp doesn't work) on the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P34tYD0MO14&t=202s.

The game had two standard ships, one red and one blue. There was a difference in their pattern of attack, but both shot blue laser bullets. There was a 3rd ship, which you could unlock by looping the character menu a lot of times until it appeared. That ship was dark green / black, and it shot a huge green laserbeam. You moved the ship with the arrow keys and used Z to shoot and select stuff in the menus.

I can't remember any of the bosses, but the game was short, I estimate around 5 to 8 levels, and it was not a particularly hard game. There was a story in the game, although I'm not sure if it was in english or japanese. It happened in the form of dialogues between the ship's driver and someone probably on a command center. I also think that the only visual aid for the characters in the game were their heads, they didn't have full body illustrations, and the red pilot was a red haired anime girl (possibly implying that the blue pilot was a blue haired anime girl as well).

The ones already suggested to me, which I ruled out, are: Raiden series, Raycrisis, Raystorm, Blue Wish Resurrection
drauch

Post by drauch »

I slept on the M2 Ketsui release and just happened to notice the other day the new Play-asia price of well over a hundred, backordered. What was the initial release price, 60?
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

The Play-Asia preorder price for M2 Ketsui shows US$62.99 in my order history.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Supposedly there is a "hit mark" option that can be enabled on Darius Gaiden Extra ver. to less you see hit boxes. On firing up the rom I don't see this option anywhere in the service menu. Anyone managed to find this setting before?
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Are some of the songs in U.N. Squadron (Capcom, 1989) re-used in some later Capcom titles?
I keep thinking that st. 4's boss music appears somewhere else, too.
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Rastan78 wrote:Supposedly there is a "hit mark" option that can be enabled on Darius Gaiden Extra ver. to less you see hit boxes. On firing up the rom I don't see this option anywhere in the service menu. Anyone managed to find this setting before?
Have you tried holding P1 and P2 start while pressing directions or buttons to see if they toggle anything ingame? It's possibly something you have to input when ingame, similar to Batrider/Bakraid options.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

@Roo, I stumbled on an old thread where you and Mathu had discussed this. The menu is opened by pressing the C button on both P1 and P2 side simultaneously. Sounds like you discovered the method accidentally by having P1 and P2 buttons mapped to the same keys.

Surprised this info isn't found anywhere else. I was looking at Japanese sites and everything. Did find a reddit thread from a couple years ago where someone had activated it accidentally then couldn't figure out how they did. Was pretty close to giving up on it when I somehow found that old post.

So thank the version of yourself from 2013 for me lol. :mrgreen:

Of course there are many other options to play with besides the hit mark. Will post this up on the strategy thread where future players might be more likely to stumble across it.

XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Is there just a simple regularly updated table that organizes STG release dates by year? Doesn't need to be anywhere specific. Just wondering.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Rastan78 wrote:So thank the version of yourself from 2013 for me lol. :mrgreen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBvKcGJBGPg

Neato, I never knew there was a hitbox option in there but I only dabbled with the Extra version briefly and never had a chance to invest more time in it like I ought to. Looking forward to seeing the strategy guide writeup with the details.
SPM

Post by SPM »

XoPachi wrote:Is there just a simple regularly updated table that organizes STG release dates by year? Doesn't need to be anywhere specific. Just wondering.
In this forum:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11597
viewtopic.php?p=952297#p952297

In a french web:
http://shmup.com/jeux/

Not complete, nor regularly updated, but it's a starting point ;)
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
kamadoma715

Post by kamadoma715 »

Were all of the Nintendo Switch M2 ShotTriggers games released only in Japan region?
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

kamadoma715 wrote:Were all of the Nintendo Switch M2 ShotTriggers games released only in Japan region?
Yes. Also those same games on the Switch that are Japan exclusive are also Japan exclusive for the Playstation 4, currently. Everything since 2019 hasn't had a western release.
kamadoma715

Post by kamadoma715 »

pablumatic wrote:
kamadoma715 wrote:Were all of the Nintendo Switch M2 ShotTriggers games released only in Japan region?
Yes. Also those same games on the Switch that are Japan exclusive are also Japan exclusive for the Playstation 4, currently. Everything since 2019 hasn't had a western release.
I suppose I can acquire them by switching my Nintendo Account to Japan so I can buy them on the Japan Nintendo Eshop?
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

kamadoma715 wrote:I suppose I can acquire them by switching my Nintendo Account to Japan so I can buy them on the Japan Nintendo Eshop?
That will work. Just remember you will have to pay via some other means like a JP eshop card from a shop like Playasia.com.
kamadoma715

Post by kamadoma715 »

pablumatic wrote:
kamadoma715 wrote:I suppose I can acquire them by switching my Nintendo Account to Japan so I can buy them on the Japan Nintendo Eshop?
That will work. Just remember you will have to pay via some other means like a JP eshop card from a shop like Playasia.com.
I see. Thanks. Now that I think about it, I have a friend who can order stuff for me online and maybe I'll just go physical.
SPM

Post by SPM »

pablumatic wrote:
I wonder why. Not enough sales outside Japan? It's hard to imagine. I mean, obviously no other single country can compete in sales, but overall? (well... I was thinking of "regular size" countries, but the US are huge, it can't be that far behind in sales right?)
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Not entirely STG related, but is Taito's Ray Tracers at all related to their Ray trilogy of games? Like a street conflict set in the world of Ray Force? I know some series have little offshoots like Fast RMX taking place in Nanostray's world.

Or is it just a Chase H.Q. successor with a coincidental name?
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

XoPachi wrote:Not entirely STG related, but is Taito's Ray Tracers at all related to their Ray trilogy of games? Like a street conflict set in the world of Ray Force? I know some series have little offshoots like Fast RMX taking place in Nanostray's world.

Taito's Ray Tracers was released as a arcade-based futuristic racing title for the Japanese game centers -- Taito released it as a PSX game as well (it was even sold Stateside indeed).

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

XoPachi wrote:Not entirely STG related, but is Taito's Ray Tracers at all related to their Ray trilogy of games? Like a street conflict set in the world of Ray Force? I know some series have little offshoots like Fast RMX taking place in Nanostray's world.

Great question. I've wondered that too.
Great game as well, good excuse to break out the neGcon.
SPM

Post by SPM »

Is Mushihimesama Ultra WITHOUT AKI doable by a regular person? XD or just crazy stuff regardless? How does it compare to other games?

I've played this game quite some time and somehow it still draws me in. It's just pure simple fun. I've cleared several modes and particularly enjoyed Original, Maniac and Novice-Ultra. So... What's next? Original scoring, Original 1.5 MAX or (no TLB) Ultra? The latter sounds interesting but I don't know what I'd get into XD