Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
cave hermit

Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

Post by cave hermit »

Also, I was just playing Mushihimesama Futari when I managed to beat my old score in Original mode by 20 million points (I also reached the stage 3 boss for the first time that run; ditching the analog stick for the d-pad has really upped my game!). I saved the replay and uploaded my score, but it didn't attach a replay to my leaderboard entry. I thought that I had done so before, but it's been quite long since I got a high score, and all the other entries surrounding me on the leaderboard don't have replays either; is there something special you need to do in futari to be allowed to attach a replay?
Bonus!

Post by Bonus! »

I might be wrong, but I think I read somewhere that only the top X slots on the leader boards get their replays saved. I only take my Xbox online to download patches, and have never uploaded a high score, so this is not at all based on experience.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

What happened to Darius II in MAME 0.150? I can only see one of the three screens now. It used to "strech" to see the full game area. The same happens with Rastan III.
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Load Darius II, Press Tab, go to "Video Options", select "Triple Side By Side".

Chances are the latest version of MAME messed up the default screen setting to show only one screen (which makes no sense if you want to play it in MAME). I haven't tried the latest version of MAME, but I'd imagine that's what it is, since I know I can change from 3 screens to just the one under video options.

You should use Shmupmame anyways, cause it's awesome. (except wait no, the sound is a bit messed up in shmupmame for Darius II during bosses? are the explosions supposed to sound like that? otherwise it's awesome)
IseeThings

Post by IseeThings »

games with multiple screens are broken in 0.150 if you have effects turned on.

it's due to the HLSL / rendering code changes, but causes problems even with it disabled. Vector games are also broken in 0.150 but only if you enable HLSL..

I do wish developers touching the core code would take a little more care, but not much can be done to change that now.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

IseeThings wrote:games with multiple screens are broken in 0.150 if you have effects turned on.

it's due to the HLSL / rendering code changes, but causes problems even with it disabled. Vector games are also broken in 0.150 but only if you enable HLSL..

I do wish developers touching the core code would take a little more care, but not much can be done to change that now.
Yeah, i disabled the scanlines effect i had and it works now. Thanks for the reply.
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
Gingerzilla

Post by Gingerzilla »

In Raiden Fighters Xbox version what is the point of shooting the fairy? How does it effect your score? If i kill it to I just lose the points bonus or do I get a multiplier? Should the fair get blasted or should it live :evil: :lol:
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

I am not aware of any positives that come from shooting the fairy (as always, someone correct me if I'm wrong). Lay off the trigger and collect it instead.
Chaos Phoenixma

Post by Chaos Phoenixma »

100,000 points for collecting the fairy and 10 for shooting it.

So generally, you'd want to collect the fairy, but sometimes in Raiden Fighters Jet with the Event Chains, you might be able to kill one to get a text chain and pick up some others for extra multiplier, but I don't play that game, so maybe someone else could talk about that.

Edit:

Checking the strategy thread, there's a chain as long as you keep messages popping up in addition to the medal chains. These are the quickshots, destroyed at time, discover fairy/miclus, kill fairy, etc. It's +1 multiplier to some actions as long as you keep the chain, so if you killed a fairy and quickly picked up more fairies or something that uses the text chain multiplier, you might get more points than just picking up the fairy.

This does hurt your technical score for the stage, so you would need to make sure you either have enough fairies to still get the high technical score or that the loss is exceed by the points gained from extra text chain multiplier.

I don't remember if this applies in RF1 or RF2, but I don't think it does.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Are there any shmups that have a button mash mechanic related to bombing? I loathe button tapping in shmups when it comes to shooting since having to tap one button for the entire game is a bit silly (especially when the game only has one shot and not a tap/hold DDP style thing), but the idea of having bombs where there's a button mash event or something seems like it'd an interesting idea, since it's only limited to when you use a bomb.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Battle Garegga, Gain, bombing the flamingos.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Hm...a handful of shooters allow you to charge up bombs (or at least adjust where onscreen they activate) by holding the button down, but I'm having trouble thinking of many that reward mashing. The closest that comes to mind offhand is Night Raid's "Hug Launcher", and even that's something of a stretch.
pestro87

Post by pestro87 »

Button mashing the bomb button is essential in Ginga Force with Type B if you are playing for score as the amount of bronze CR that is created when bullets are cancelled is determined by the amount of damage that you deal over time. You can verify this if you compare the amount of CR that is created when you destroy one of the engines on the battleship on Chapter 9 Hard using Type C's "time slow" as opposed to without the time slowdown.

It is also essential to spam the bomb button in order to take out parts of the bosses quickly.
Furry Fox Jet Pilot

Post by Furry Fox Jet Pilot »

BareknuckleRoo wrote:Are there any shmups that have a button mash mechanic related to bombing? I loathe button tapping in shmups when it comes to shooting since having to tap one button for the entire game is a bit silly (especially when the game only has one shot and not a tap/hold DDP style thing), but the idea of having bombs where there's a button mash event or something seems like it'd an interesting idea, since it's only limited to when you use a bomb.
Metal Black, when you use your laser beam to duel against the bosses' laser beams.
Cagar

Post by Cagar »

Who is the composer of cho ren sha ost?
Has he made anything else great?
EDIT: found it, Ruzarin Kashiwagi
KAI

Post by KAI »

trap15

Post by trap15 »

Kashiwagi is great. He did one of my favorite tracks on the PSYVARIAR -THE MIX- album.
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
shmuppyLove

Post by shmuppyLove »

Emo Fox Jet Pilot wrote:
BareknuckleRoo wrote:Are there any shmups that have a button mash mechanic related to bombing? I loathe button tapping in shmups when it comes to shooting since having to tap one button for the entire game is a bit silly (especially when the game only has one shot and not a tap/hold DDP style thing), but the idea of having bombs where there's a button mash event or something seems like it'd an interesting idea, since it's only limited to when you use a bomb.
Metal Black, when you use your laser beam to duel against the bosses' laser beams.
I can't remember how it works in G-Darius, but I believe it's similar as well.
Aleksei

Post by Aleksei »

Pink sweets arrange
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp3vXKb4gXc
Image Image
[Cabinet 007]
Aleksei

Post by Aleksei »

Are there forums that exist in Japan that dedicate/have a shmup section? If so, please list below.
Image Image
[Cabinet 007]
Captain

Post by Captain »

Would you play as a boss in a shmup?

See above, but versus an actual player?

How would you see yourself controlling the boss?

What kind of boss?
In search of great justice, sailing on a sea of stars.
Image Image
KennyMan666

Post by KennyMan666 »

Isn't that what Change Air Blade and Senko no Ronde essentially are?

Even so, a bunch of years back I had this idea for a vs shmup for DS, where you'd play against each other over wifi, and on your DS you'd be on the lower screen, moving your ship to doge bullets with the d-pad, and use the stylus to place some kind of spawn points for different kinds of bullet pattern attacks to attack the other player. So you'd be each other's boss.
My 1CCs so I can find the list easier myself
<Despatche> you've been a thorn in the shmups community since the beginning, you're largely responsible for the horrible face of modern speedrunning
Aleksei

Post by Aleksei »

What is the meaning of the characters that Miyamoto's options spit out?
Image Image
[Cabinet 007]
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Post by MOSQUITO FIGHTER »

Did Shin Nakamura from Psikyo work on any games before Video Systems? I notice S. Nakamura in credits of other games sometimes. For example I just say S. Nakamura in the credits for Sword Master on nes, and instantly though about Psikyo. But I'm guessing it's probably just a really common name.
heisenbergman

Post by heisenbergman »

If we had a poll to see what most people's favorite non-Cave shmup developer was, who would win? Let's say these ten would be the choices for example:

Irem
Konami
Psikyo
Raizing
Seibu Kaihatsu
Taito
Takumi
Team Shanghai Alice
Toaplan
Treasure

Would the Touhou shmupers rally behind Team Shanghai Alice and all other arcade shmup devs divide those votes among them?

From what I've played, I would personally be torn between Psikyo & Toaplan.

(tbh even if Cave were included I would be torn between Psikyo & Toaplan --- but I'm leaving Cave out because Cave would almost surely win such a poll)
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Answer: All the wise-acres would vote for NMK or Face or something like that just to screw around. :P
trap15

Post by trap15 »

favorite non-Cave
Why does CAVE need exclusion :? They're hardly the best in that list. If they win that poll by a landslide (which I'm sure they would), it'd be by pure bandwagoning. You'd probably get the same effect by putting ZUN in the list as well.

Also, NMK is the best ;) Followed by Toaplan.
KAI

Post by KAI »

You need more Milestone.
ciox

Post by ciox »

Probably Raizing would win the poll, have a look at this: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=44687
beermat

Post by beermat »

Are there any shmups where the player can manipulate time? I don't mean a slowdown mechanic where everything is slowed down for movement accuracy, I mean something like enemies and their bullets slow down but you and your bullets stay normal speed.