Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
tnc

Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

Post by tnc »

Thanks Xyga. Only setting monitor to lcd there is no tearing. Yet there is still the same thin line in the center when prescale set to 2.

I downloaded the d3d9ex build from this link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... VNkVW5jbEE
But the last one is for v0.197 right now. Does anyone know where I can download a v0.198 build?
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Seems you have the scaling tear line issue indeed. No luck. I'm beginning to believe this is an nVidia issue, because there's two AMD cards I've tried prescale 2 with and didn't experience this (while two nVidia do, although one of them is a fake/laptop chipset)
No idea if that's fixable, it's an old 'bug' few people are aware of because they either don't use bilinear or are not aware of what prescale does. anyway forget it.

0.198 -> there is none, I think Calamity sometimes skips a build or two when he's too busy or researching something specific. We will probably have a 0.199 or 0.200 though.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
tnc

Post by tnc »

By the way is it normal that video under OSD VIDEO OPTIONS stays at auto? Should I manually change it to d3d?
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Groovy should be able to pick d3d automatically every time it runs.
And when you use a d3d9ex build it picks d3d9ex.
(in both cases if you're not sure just write 'd3d' there in the mame.ini and it'll be fine too. yep no use to write 'd3d9ex' either, just 'd3d' in both builds)
You don't see it but that's how GM is set up to work internally.
Actually you could see it happening with a console running in a second window (don't ask me how), or if you want to know almost everything about how GM is running on your computer and if there are issues or not; you can create a log by running a game using the specific command line (check groovy's forums for it)

EDIT/PS: for even more optimal settings you could also enable portaudio and set the audio delay to 1, this reduces audio lag if that matters to you, but I don't know much about it and think we have hijacked the thread enough! :mrgreen:
tnc

Post by tnc »

Xyga wrote:Groovy should be able to pick d3d automatically every time it runs.
And when you use a d3d9ex build it picks d3d9ex.
(in both cases if you're not sure just write 'd3d' there in the mame.ini and it'll be fine too. yep no use to write 'd3d9ex' either, just 'd3d' in both builds)
You don't see it but that's how GM is set up to work internally.
Actually you could see it happening with a console running in a second window (don't ask me how), or if you want to know almost everything about how GM is running on your computer and if there are issues or not; you can create a log by running a game using the specific command line (check groovy's forums for it)

EDIT/PS: for even more optimal settings you could also enable portaudio and set the audio delay to 1, this reduces audio lag if that matters to you, but I don't know much about it and think we have hijacked the thread enough! :mrgreen:
Alright, thanks a lot again Xyga, seriously this has been great help.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

You're welcome, hopefully some time from now Calamity will have a build prepped more specifically for LCD users along with some fixes and convenience features.
(when though is impossible to predict as from what I grabbed there are of course technical issues and he doesn't have all the free time he wants to work on GM anyway)
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Not much to do with the actual game, but...I love that song at the start of this DOJ Superplay video on PS2. Does anyone know what it's called or who composed it? Such a nostalgic sound.
https://youtu.be/G1WkH_bF5O0
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Are there any good Giga Wing styled shmups that use its style of reflect mechanic? There's tons of Ikaruga style polarity shmups, and there's Leiria: Stargazer which is a good Espgaluda style shmup, but the only one with a reflect mechanic similar to Giga Wing is the XB360 Indie game "Vampire Rage" - is that really all there is out there?
Weak Boson

Post by Weak Boson »

^omg mentioning Vampire Rage just brought back a flood of weird XBLIG shmup memories

Not sure if this is what you're after but what about Homura? You have a sword which reflects bullets, but its main function is a super attack that gives you a multiplier the more enemies it hits.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:Are there any good Giga Wing styled shmups that use its style of reflect mechanic? There's tons of Ikaruga style polarity shmups, and there's Leiria: Stargazer which is a good Espgaluda style shmup, but the only one with a reflect mechanic similar to Giga Wing is the XB360 Indie game "Vampire Rage" - is that really all there is out there?
rRootage has GW mode, but I can't think of any others off the top of my head, which is surprising. There are some like RefleX which have a reflecting shield that is freely activated and deactivated in contrast to Giga Wing's timer-based charge, and also some like Fairy Wars and ring^-27 (Bomb mode) that have cancelling attacks on a short timer but aren't quite reflection either.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Thanks for the suggestions!

I've also played the Vasara games which occurs to me that their charge attacks are very reflecty and satisfying to use too, so those are also a close approximation to the "feel" of the GW series.
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

In both Karous and Illvelo, you have a shield that can reflect bullets after you use it enough for it to level up.
Bosses in particular require you to fully use that property to kill them before they time out.
Overall, it's not exactly as in Gigawing given that there is no jauge that restraints the shields but the bullet reflection mechanic is there and is important in the context of the game.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Thoughts on R Type III?
My lord, I have come for you.
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

On Mushi Futari on the Xbox 360, is there a way to adjust "difficulty"?
I'm not talking about Original/Maniac/Ultra modes, I mean in terms of Easy/Normal/Hard.

When you let the attract mode run a Rank 2 (Normal) message appears in the scrolling text below PRESS START BUTTON on all modes except for Arrange (no indication) and Novice (it shows Rank 1 - Easy).
However, I can't find an option anywhere in the game where this is available for visualization or adjustments.
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

This has been bothering me:

How was Battle Garegga able to influence Cho Ren Sha when it was released a year later? I initially figured it was just an error/assumption, but even in the shmuplation he mentions being influenced by STGs installed at game centers at the time, and cited Garegga. Are one of the release dates wrong? Did he know Yagawa and get an early crack at the game, or just see early promos for it? Is the dev of Cho Ren Sha stuck in a time loop, and this game was his way of telling us?
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

The developer's postmortem (translation on Shmuplations) says v.010 was sold at Comiket in 1995, but the full v1.00 release wasn't until 1998.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Shepardus wrote:The developer's postmortem (translation on Shmuplations) says v.010 was sold at Comiket in 1995, but the full v1.00 release wasn't until 1998.
Ah okay, thank you!
Galdelico

Post by Galdelico »

Mega Drive Shmups, come at me please.

Anyone knows what's up with those apparently Japanese copies of Thunder Force II MD, that come with a manual WITHOUT holes on the left side? Are they legit? Maybe NTSC Asian releases? Late reprints (when the whole idea of punching freaking holes into manuals was accepted as just bad)?

I can't figure it out, so I thought to drop some info request here as well.
Thanks in advance! ^_-
BIL

Post by BIL »

I could easily be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's a first-run thing, limited to the earliest (1989) releases. My NTSCJ Herzog Zwei's manual has holes punched, just like TFII's... and Herzog was released after Mahjong Cop, a freebie NOS copy of which is sat on the desk in front of me. No holes in Mahjong's manual.

Again I might be wrong, but it doesn't appear to be a counterfeit of any sort. I'd assume it's just a second run, unless Mahjong Cop is a helluva lot more desirable than I've been led to believe. :mrgreen:

Of course it's possible only certain earlier games got the holes punched.
Galdelico

Post by Galdelico »

BIL wrote:I could easily be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's a first-run thing, limited to the earliest (1989) releases. My NTSCJ Herzog Zwei's manual has holes punched, just like TFII's... and Herzog was released after Mahjong Cop, a freebie NOS copy of which is sat on the desk in front of me. No holes in Mahjong's manual.

Again I might be wrong, but it doesn't appear to be a counterfeit of any sort. I'd assume it's just a second run, unless Mahjong Cop is a helluva lot more desirable than I've been led to believe. :mrgreen:

Of course it's possible only certain earlier games got the holes punched.
Thanks! ^_-

Yeah, I assumed pretty much the same, even though I have to say I've never seen a Japanese manual for Altered Beast or Herzog Zwei without holes. It may be exclusive to TFII, who knows.
Marc

Post by Marc »

I'm just idly wondering why the Switch seems to be pushing its way first in line for the majority of Arcade Archive/Shmup releases - is it doing that well in Japan? Omega Fighter has just popped up on the Switch shop, ideally I'd like that on PS4 with the rest of my AA titles, but depending on the gap it's going to be hard to resist. And then there's the stuff that I caved and bought on Switch (Waku Waku 7 & Blazing Star)that's now out for PS4.... Gives me a headache. Also the Psikyo stuff - any reason we know of why that's all Switch only?
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
charlie chong

Post by charlie chong »

omega fighter is on the jpn psn store just not the uk one yet
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

It was on the EUR store yesterday already.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
ReSe2k

Post by ReSe2k »

Can someone please explain or link me to a tutorial on how to record replays in mame. I use the regular mame 0.192.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

ReSe2k wrote:Can someone please explain or link me to a tutorial on how to record replays in mame. I use the regular mame 0.192.
Recording an input file in MAME is achieved with the command-line flag "-rec", and playing it back is done with "-pb". So assuming you have a rom "battlntsj" and you want to record an input file to "recording.inp", you can run the game with "mame battlntsj -rec recording.inp" and play it back with "mame battlntsj -pb recording.inp". Replace the rom name with the one you want to run (but of course battlntsj is the one you want to run :wink:), and "mame" with the executable name if it's something different like "mame64.exe".

By default this writes to/reads from the "inp" subfolder in the folder where you have MAME; this can be changed with the "input_directory" setting in mame.ini or the "-input_directory" flag.

If you're unfamiliar with the command-prompt, you can create a text file with the command as its contents, and save it in the MAME directory with extension ".bat" (assuming you're using Windows; use ".sh" for Mac/Linux), then double click on it in Explorer to run the command. On Windows, you can also create a shortcut by right-clicking on the .exe, clicking "Create shortcut," and editing its properties (right-click on the shortcut and click Properties) to add the rom name and flags to the "Target."

Additionally, you can write to a video with the -aviwrite flag (default directory is "snap", same as screenshots). This eats up a ton of disk space and performance can be choppy because the video output is uncompressed, so you should record a replay with -rec and then use this flag along with -pb to write a video while playing back that replay; that way if it slows down it doesn't affect you actually playing the game (the exported video won't slow down except for emulated slowdown, no matter how slowly MAME runs while recording that video). For example:

mame battlntsj -rec replay.inp
mame battlntsj -pb replay.inp -aviwrite video.avi

Also you'll need to run the video through an external program to compress it if you plan on uploading it anywhere. I use FFmpeg (another command-line program), usually with a command like:

ffmpeg -i battlntsj.avi -pix_fmt yuv420p -sws_flags neighbor -vf scale=540:720 battlntsj_rescaled.mp4

which uses mostly default compression settings and scales to a resolution of 540x720 (YouTube requires that a video be at least 720 pixels tall for 60fps) using nearest-neighbor scaling.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
pegboy

Post by pegboy »

I think it's easier to just record it with OBS personally.
Keade

Post by Keade »

Using record/playback (and then -aviwrite) is a little more complicated but is the most flexible solution overall. Besides, you can combine it with OBS just the same if you don't want to deal with -aviwrite ;)
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

pegboy wrote:I think it's easier to just record it with OBS personally.
Recording an input file has very little overhead (both processing and storage) compared to recording with OBS. I have .bat files set up for every game I regularly play, so I all have to do is launch the .bat file instead of mame.exe and it'll automatically launch the game and record an input file for the session, which I can later export as video if the run goes well. I find that more convenient than remembering to set up OBS and recording each run that may or may not turn out to be good. I also used to mainly play on a laptop that I didn't trust to run MAME and OBS at the same time without overheating or slowing down/dropping frames, so using -aviwrite and encoding separately let me get high-quality video without worrying about whether my computer could handle encoding in real-time.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
ReSe2k

Post by ReSe2k »

Thank you fir the detailed explanation Shepardus, it worked! :mrgreen: I've tried OBS but it adds a noticeable amount of lag on my pc.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

To those that have fully completed Dariusburst CS Mode, what is the chronological order of each mission? It takes place between 1904 to 1921, Ruminia is the very first chronologically, while Suriaha is the last. And the bonus mission Kyokkuho actually takes place just a month before Suriaha.