Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
KAI

Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

Post by KAI »

The port sound better but looks awful.
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

KAI wrote:The port sound better but looks awful.
Yeah, I noticed right away that it looked way better in mame, but the sound quality is pretty shit.

They both seem to be lacking slowdown, which isn't really bothering me too much, so unless there is anything game-breaking in the mame version, I think I'll be fine with that one. The shitty sound is a bit of a letdown though, game has a fantastic soundtrack.
nuskool

Post by nuskool »

I think I've asked this before but can't recall where it was about DDP doj or saidaioujou.

In DOJ Does picking a different shot type (shot, laser, expert) change the difficulty of the game? I understand it changes the ship properties (obviously) but does it impact anything else?

Also, just so i'm clear once and for all, in saidaioujou it DOES right?
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

In SDOJ picking the "Expert" type kicks up the innate difficulty considerably. It should be noted that while on most game modes Shot and Laser are equally difficult, if you're playing 360 mode in the home port Laser is harder then Shot (and Expert, obviously, is harder than Laser).

In DOJ the type you pick doesn't directly affect the game's difficulty.
nuskool

Post by nuskool »

trap15

Post by trap15 »

Not a question, but I didn't think this was thread-worthy. I'm blocking Shmups Chat from my browser. If there's any threads that I am needed in, PM me. Too much stupid going around, it's become intolerable. I'll still be around on all the other subforums.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
kevinmaccioly

Post by kevinmaccioly »

What's the name of Recca's ship?
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Does J XBOX Shikigami No Shiro EX have forwards-compatibility support on the J 360?
nasty_wolverine

Post by nasty_wolverine »

kevinmaccioly wrote:What's the name of Recca's ship?
I think its recca tbh.
Elysian Door - Naraka (my WIP PC STG) in development hell for the moment
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

nasty_wolverine wrote:
kevinmaccioly wrote:What's the name of Recca's ship?
I think its recca tbh.
Turrican's list says: State-of-the-art-Cruising-Fighter Recca.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
HydrogLox

Post by HydrogLox »

Kiken wrote:Does J XBOX Shikigami No Shiro EX have forwards-compatibility support on the J 360?
Apparently neither "Shikigami No Shiro" nor "Shikigami No Shiro Evolution" nor "Shikigami No Shiro II" will work on a J360 ("Shikigami No Shiro EX" is the name of the PC port based on the (first) Xbox "Shikigami No Shiro").

They don't appear on the official or unofficial backward compatibility lists either.
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

How big is the hitbox in Mars Matrix? I always was under the impression that it was a Cave style pixel-ish hitbox, but replaying it recently, it occurs to me that I might have been mistaken?
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

The hitbox works like Giga Wing does, it's centered on the cockpit. I'm not sure how big it actually is, but I know Giga Wing's is small enough that you can pull off some very tight Cave-style dodges (I've tried beating GW without reflecting, it's possible, just way too hard with the small resources you have to use).
Squire Grooktook

I always thought Giga Wings hitbox was a bit bigger too. Not super big, but not pixel-ish either. Kinda early manic shooter-ish size. But thanks for answering, I'll have to test it out more carefully.

Also: Does point blanking with the laser in Dodonpachi DOJ do more damage? Enough to make it work it vs bosses?
Last edited by Squire Grooktook on Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Squire Grooktook wrote:Also: Does point blanking with the laser in Dodonpachi DOJ do more damage? Enough to make it work it vs bosses?
Getting close to enemies while lasering increases damage in all the DonPachi games, to the best of my knowledge: if you look closely you'll notice that a slight "aura" forms around the front of your ship while the laser is firing, and if you get close enough for it to touch the target it does extra damage (though of course you have to pick your opportunities carefully).
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

BulletMagnet wrote:Getting close to enemies while lasering increases damage in all the DonPachi games, to the best of my knowledge: if you look closely you'll notice that a slight "aura" forms around the front of your ship while the laser is firing, and if you get close enough for it to touch the target it does extra damage
Pretty much this. The laser aura boosted damage is in all games, and is always the highest damage possible. It's just extremely risky to get into laser aura range, for obvious reasons, but even in the original Donpachi getting into pointblank range is very worthwhile for damage when you know it's safe to do so.

If you're playing a Laser/EX type ship (in games where a Shot vs Laser/EX selection applies), Laser types have a wider laser aura, so it's easier/safer to get into pointblank range with it.

Laser aura damage not only does extra damage in DFK, it also charges your hyper faster for all shot types. Power Style is a bit unusual in that it's often better to pointblank with Normal mode vs Boost. Boost does more damage, but movement's slower, whereas Power Style's Normal laser aura gives you an enormous amount of hyper back in a hurry (moreso than Bomb/Strong styles), making laser aura use crucial for recharges when playing Power.

edit: Actually, 360 Mode might not have laser aura boosted damage when using Saya's unique meter draining Shot + Laser, it's hard to tell. But otherwise yeah, you can expect laser aura damage. DDP2: Bee Storm I don't remember if it has noticeable extra damage when using the aura (seeing as how it wasn't made by Cave, and there's no boss lifebars to judge by) but I imagine it would.
Last edited by BareKnuckleRoo on Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Squire Grooktook

I see, thank you.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
heisenbergman

Post by heisenbergman »

What is it I'm not getting about Xexex? (I'm playing the Japan version) It's #78 on the Top Shmups list but I tried it and it seemed unreasonably difficult, unintuitive and the psychedelic-looking graphics were incredibly dated.

:-/
ciox

Post by ciox »

It's not that difficult, just compare it to R-Type, in fact the whole game is like an R-Type that's a bit sillier but has a much more useful and controllable Force, less memorization and more fun from the get go, I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't 100% better than R-Type for many people and that's a well-loved game. Bosses might be less impressive, can't recall.
I kinda like the graphics, the psychedelia isn't really that dated is it, I remember seeing those sky effects in Jazz Jackrabbit 2 and other games, with a slightly more sane palette to be fair
NzzpNzzp

Post by NzzpNzzp »

ciox wrote:It's not that difficult, just compare it to R-Type, in fact the whole game is like an R-Type that's a bit sillier but has a much more useful and controllable Force
Forces are way easier to control than the flint is. They follow very simple rules so you can always predict where they're going to go. The flint has its own bizarro AI which just does whatever the hell it wants. Is it going to stay still? Is it going to run away chasing something on the other side of the screen? Is it going to get stuck on terrain? No way to be sure.
ciox

Post by ciox »

NzzpNzzp wrote:
ciox wrote:It's not that difficult, just compare it to R-Type, in fact the whole game is like an R-Type that's a bit sillier but has a much more useful and controllable Force
Forces are way easier to control than the flint is. They follow very simple rules so you can always predict where they're going to go. The flint has its own bizarro AI which just does whatever the hell it wants. Is it going to stay still? Is it going to run away chasing something on the other side of the screen? Is it going to get stuck on terrain? No way to be sure.
The early Forces are hardly that predictable, maybe it gets better in the console games but until then it's extremely situational, there's no telling what enemy will stop the force or let it go through (no, size doesn't guarantee anything), and of the enemies that stop it there's no telling if the Force will stick to them or not, there's also stuff that's immune to the Force's damage just because. (the boss of stage 4 in the first game..)
Anyway even if the Flint goes crazy I'm pretty sure the recall button works fine, if the Force gets stuck less it's because more things are flagged to just let it pass through.
The reason I'm praising the Flint is that it's very easy to work with it close to you, because it only reattaches if you press the Flint button, and you can choose whether to launch it or just drop it close to you, this stuff made a good impression on me as it would have been great to have in R-Type.
NzzpNzzp

Post by NzzpNzzp »

Man, predicting how the original game's force is going to move is easy. If you're on the left side of the screen it attempts to hover a little to the right of the middle. If you're on the right side of the screen it attempts to hover a little to the left of the middle. If you move up or down it waits a second and then moves up/down to follow you. Once you know the rules you can tell how it's going to move 100% of the time. Real simple stuff. All you have to remember is which enemies stop it, and they're rare as hell so that's easy.
Squire Grooktook

Another Cave related question:

I was told a while back or so that while many of the boss bullet patterns in Caves games are static, the bosses themselves have a semi random movement path that causes the gaps to be placed slightly differently each time. How true is this?

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Squire Grooktook wrote:I was told a while back or so that while many of the boss bullet patterns in Caves games are static, the bosses themselves have a semi random movement path that causes the gaps to be placed slightly differently each time. How true is this?
A good example of this is one of Larsa's later attacks (when her dragon flies up into the air and only its tail is exposed), the pattern is pretty much static but its gaps are affected by how it moves. I'm not sure if the movement itself is truly randomized, but there's a number of examples where there's possibilities for slight variations on attacks depending on where the boss is positioned or how it moves when fired. Progear's stage 3 boss moves around a lot and it'll move to align itself vertically with you during its last attack. Progear's stage 2 boss also has some variations in where the shots are fired based on how the head is bobbing around, though it's generally aimed sprays.

You can also sometimes manipulate the boss positioning to change where it is when it's attacking, like at DOJ stage 5's first midboss.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Anyone know what X.X has been up to since the release of Eden's Aegis? He posted this photo on his blog of a program called Eden's Eclipse showing a lady with a spoon firing a very Abnormal Palm-ish shot. Sadly, I don't read Japanese so I don't know if this is a mockup, if it's in its very early stages of development, or what.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
Furry Fox Jet Pilot

Post by Furry Fox Jet Pilot »

Has anyone heard any recent information about MOSS maybe working on Raiden V?, it's been a long time since Raiden IV was released.
WeirdRain

Post by WeirdRain »

Well, they did Caladrius inbetween :wink:
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

I'm trying to decide if CAVE threw away an amazing looking game in Guwange by including the Shikigami mechanic or not. Cool theme, the sprites, the music, it's all top notch stuff. I just can't get over the shikigami mechanic and the way it restricts your vertical movement.
Frenetic

Post by Frenetic »

Which shmups allow for continues to be disabled in the menu? I'm thinking of putting having arcade pcbs as a live demo on freeplay, but don't want to have people just credit feed through the game.

Also Xbox 360 titles allow that in Score Attack mode, right?

--F
Chaos Phoenixma

Post by Chaos Phoenixma »

The 360 arrange of Guwange allows full movement with the shikigami using a dual stick system. But changes for that mode make it way too easy, so it's still not all that fun.

You could just ignore that the Shikigami exists and play without it, but if you have to do that just to make the game any fun, then yeah it fails to me. It is possible to 1cc like that, but it is very hard.

I'm not sure what games allow you to disable continues in the settings since I generally don't mess with them. I think a lot of the Cave games allow it. And there's a few games that don't even allow continues in the first place from some other devs.