Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
AntiFritz

Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

Post by AntiFritz »

Frenetic wrote:Which shmups allow for continues to be disabled in the menu? I'm thinking of putting having arcade pcbs as a live demo on freeplay, but don't want to have people just credit feed through the game.

Also Xbox 360 titles allow that in Score Attack mode, right?

--F
Ikaruga XBLA allows you to turn continues on and off.
RegalSin wrote:Rape is very shakey subject. It falls into the catergory of Womens right, Homosexaul rights, and Black rights.
japtor

Post by japtor »

Frenetic wrote:Which shmups allow for continues to be disabled in the menu? I'm thinking of putting having arcade pcbs as a live demo on freeplay, but don't want to have people just credit feed through the game.

--F
At least for SDOJ, yeah I vaguely remember it doing that, just game over after the last life. No initial entry screen though.

There's some replay dialog afterwards though. I've been assuming first is a "save replay? yes/no" and if you hit no there's another that I guess is a "are you sure? yes/no" type of dialog. I think there's a separate option to disable replays and hopefully gets rid of that dialog but I never messed with it.
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

In Saidaioujou, what game options does score attack mode allow you to change? I was under the impression that score attack simply ignored game settings altogether, but I'm able to open up the game settings menu and change things if I want.
In general for the Cave 360 ports, what score attack game options are changeable?
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

--F
All CAVE games can have continues turned OFF IIRC. And Score Attack won't allow continue, but does require online connection.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Did the circle (CO2 Pro) who did Flame Zapper Kotsujin and Garudius '95 ever go on to do anything of note for windows or any other system besides pc 98?
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Chaos Phoenixma

Post by Chaos Phoenixma »

some of the score attack modes allow continues. Deathsmiles, DoDonPachi Daifukkatsu, Mushihimesama HD. There may be more, but I know those ones let you continue in the score attack mode.

In Score Attack, you're forced to default settings. only things you can change are stuff like display, controls, and sound settings.
NuclearPotato

Post by NuclearPotato »

Anyone have translations for the endings to DaiOuJou? I imagine the iOS Blissful Death port has 'em, doesn't it?
This was a couple of pages back, but yes, Blissful Death does have translated endings. My question's actually related to that port: What version of DaiOuJou is Blissful Death based on?
Sarethums

Post by Sarethums »

How do i detach the wires from the buttons? There on pretty tight and i dont want to damage anything. Thank you
ZacharyB

Post by ZacharyB »

Those kinds of connectors, spade connectors, just pull off. Grip tightly by the metal neck under the plastic boot and pull while gently wiggling.
AntiFritz

Post by AntiFritz »

Better to lever them off with a flat head screwdriver I think.
RegalSin wrote:Rape is very shakey subject. It falls into the catergory of Womens right, Homosexaul rights, and Black rights.
heisenbergman

Post by heisenbergman »

If I wanted to get a console that I want to play a lot of quality shmups on, what should I get?
Squire Grooktook

heisenbergman wrote:If I wanted to get a console that I want to play a lot of quality shmups on, what should I get?
360. You get lots and lots of Cave game. And Qute Corporation, which is just as awesome.

Steam isn't a console but it's a good place to buy some good games, their library of quality shmups is pretty good and ever growing (Tales of Alltynex coming soon!).

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=44402 old thread where people helped me. Do not regret the purchase at all.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

X360 is a must for the newest titles. PS2 is another phenomenally good choice but you're limited to things released around the mid-2000's and before. It's probably a slightly cheaper way to go.

I have a 360 for sale if you're looking. :P
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
heisenbergman

Post by heisenbergman »

aw man.

here I was hoping to hear people recommend PS3 since that was on top of my list :D

thanks though!
Squire Grooktook

Yeah, sadly the PS3 is pretty baron for shmups. Almost nothing gets ported there.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
heisenbergman

Post by heisenbergman »

Oh well.

So basically now, I want the PS3 for Ni No Kuni, Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Journey, The Last of Us & Uncharted and I want the Xbox360 for shmups :|

I have a feeling I'll end up buying neither and stick with the PC.

Or maybe not. Maybe buy the PS3 and just stick with shmuping on the PC :D
Chaos Phoenixma

Post by Chaos Phoenixma »

PS3 has Under Defeat, Mamoru-kun, Ketsui, the Gundemonium games, Sine Mora, and probably a few others I'm not aware of.

So there's a few STG to play on it. Not as high of quality as some of the ones the 360 has though.
japtor

Post by japtor »

Obviously your only solution is to get both. And a cab for PCBs.
Sarethums

Post by Sarethums »

heisenbergman wrote:Oh well.

So basically now, I want the PS3 for Ni No Kuni, Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Journey, The Last of Us & Uncharted and I want the Xbox360 for shmups :|

Get your self a 60gb ps3 that is backwards compatible, your ps2 games will look sweet and you can play under defeat and ni no kuni etc
Jonst

Post by Jonst »

Sarethums wrote:
heisenbergman wrote:Oh well.

Get your self a 60gb ps3 that is backwards compatible, your ps2 games will look sweet and you can play under defeat and ni no kuni etc
I got a ps3 recently,it's virtually impossible to get one brand new that has backwards compatibility with ps 2 games as they were Apparently discontinued after 3 to 6 months.had to go bog standard.
"Just fire and forget" 1cc List
ciox

Post by ciox »

Chaos Phoenixma wrote:PS3 has Under Defeat, Mamoru-kun, Ketsui, the Gundemonium games, Sine Mora, and probably a few others I'm not aware of.
So there's a few STG to play on it. Not as high of quality as some of the ones the 360 has though.
PS3 actually has some exclusives over 360 now, like Psyvariar Complete and soon Gradius 5, maybe more later.
As for why backwards compatibility is gone, well, these PS3 rereleases of PS2 games probably have something to do with it.
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

Every time I see some new awesome PS3 exclusive, I look wistfully into the distance and tell myself, "at least I get Cave games." PS3 has Ketsui region free though, which makes me quite jealous.
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

In Mushihimesama futari 360, what do the Y and X buttons do in the replay select menu? Also, what are the usual controls for replay viewing in most cave games?

In Muchi Muchi Pork and pink sweets, what do the save and load options in the options menu do? The game seems to auto-save everything, but the save/load options are very prominent in the options.

Similarly what do the save/load options in Saidaioujou do?
NuclearPotato

Post by NuclearPotato »

ciox wrote:.
As for why backwards compatibility is gone, well, these PS3 rereleases of PS2 games probably have something to do with it.
It actually has to do with the slimming down of the PS3. The fatties basically had a PS2 shoved into them along with the PS3 stuff.
chempop

Post by chempop »

If I wanted to get a console that I want to play a lot of quality shmups on, what should I get?
SATURN: Most arcade ports and overall selection of quality titles (wide range of pricing, many from $20-30, $50, or +$100..)

360: Most cave and modern releases (worth it for cave alone, and rather affordable if you go with US/EU releases, but you will miss out on a few JPN exclusives)

TG16/PCE: Highest quality and quantity of console exclusives (wide range of price and availability... teh rarez!!)

Genesis/Megadrive: Great selection of exclusives and playable (not perfect, but still worthwhile) old-school ports.

Despite having collected for consoles for years, once you go jamma you don't go back. My true advice is to save for a cab and just get a couple of your favorites and become a master at them.
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
heisenbergman

Post by heisenbergman »

Has anyone here ever just sifted through ALL the shmups playable on MAME to weed out all the bad ones and determine the ones that are fun to play?
Squire Grooktook

Sounds a bit too objective. Would inevitably piss someone off.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
heisenbergman

Post by heisenbergman »

Squire Grooktook wrote:Sounds a bit too objective. Would inevitably piss someone off.
???
AntiFritz

Post by AntiFritz »

heisenbergman wrote:
Squire Grooktook wrote:Sounds a bit too objective. Would inevitably piss someone off.
???
What one person finds "bad" another could potentially think is the best game ever. So you can't just weed out all the "bad" games.
Squire Grooktook

AntiFritz wrote:
heisenbergman wrote:
???
What one person finds "bad" another could potentially think is the best game ever. So you can't just weed out all the "bad" games.
Yeah. The most you could do is list all the games that have more than 3 euroshmup traits, but even than there would probably be disagreement.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.