Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BulletMagnet

Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

Post by BulletMagnet »

Starfighter wrote:Wow. So. Uhm, I gave the arcade version a first proper try now, and 1CC:ed it right away. It's significantly easier than the Saturn port.
That's kinda of interesting, it's been some time since I played it but I seem to recall that the Saturn DonPachi had more slowdown than the arcade original, you'd figure that would have made it easier. Either way, congrats. :)
Starfighter

Post by Starfighter »

BulletMagnet wrote:That's kinda of interesting, it's been some time since I played it but I seem to recall that the Saturn DonPachi had more slowdown than the arcade original, you'd figure that would have made it easier. Either way, congrats. :)
You sure about that? :o I can't remember any real slowdown at all during my Saturn runs but in MAME it some times came to an absolute crawl. Perhaps there's something afoot with my PC... :D
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

The only slowdown I recall from the Saturn port is whenever the scene-transitioning red gems are on the screen. That includes the end-of-stage bonus sequence. A very odd place for it.
Starfighter

Post by Starfighter »

Are there any extends in GigaWing Generations?

Edit: Wait, I have the PS2 version as well, there's a manual in it, right? Brb! :D

Edit 2: Nothing about extends in the manual. I guess there aren't any! If anyone knows different let me know! Back to the stick!
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

I've only just started getting into GWG myself. I don't know that much about it, but if it's anything like Giga Wing is, I'd assume there's no extends to be had, at least none that you want to see. Takumi can be stingy with extends.

In the first Giga Wing, there's only one extend in stage 4, and it only appears if you have 0 extra lives remaining when you trigger the giant medals by destroying all the purple outer gems before destroying the inner red one that appear on the right hand side of the screen (where the giant tank is). Since it only appears with 0 extra lives remaining, generally speaking it's not desirable to see it. It also doesn't appear whatsoever in co-op regardless of how many lives the players have left.
Mero

Post by Mero »

Don't think there's any score based extends.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Fangamer FINALLY restocked the Flip Grip today after it being out of stock for like 2 years or whatever, so I bought one.

Are there any not-complete-shit fake Joy-cons that work with this thing, preferably with a real d-pad that's actually located in the proper position on the controller?
Steven

Post by Steven »

Does Thunder Force VI's progressive scan mode have compatibility problems with the SCPH-90000?

I finally got a PS2 HD Retrovision cable today so I tried to play this in progressive scan, but instead I get this: https://imgur.com/a/4wsWHuk
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Do you need a neat little wannabe Vic Viper toy?

Here you go: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09CG ... UTF8&psc=1

Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Can you really die and get a Game Over during the end credits of Sol Cresta's Dramatic Mode?
Starfighter

Post by Starfighter »

I was thinking of making a thread about the length of shmups, I couldn't really find anything dedicated to it but I haven't been here for years so god knows what I've missed. :) Anyone know of a thread like that? Like a "HowLongToBeat" but aimed especially at shmups.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Why can't I find Sol Cresta's OST anywhere on the Internet?
Steven

Post by Steven »

xxx1993 wrote:Why can't I find Sol Cresta's OST anywhere on the Internet?
https://sweeprecord.com/srin-1181/
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I want someone to upload it, actually. On YouTube or KH Insider.
Taerjaga

Post by Taerjaga »

This may be a bit of a long shot, but what the heck. I am trying to find any info on an animated music video from many years ago that parodied a bunch of classic space shmups (Ex - Gradius/Parodius). I believe it used the Vocaloid characters, animated in a retro 2D style, portraying them as members of some space fighter squadron and their mission hi-jinks. The music video ended with their cleaning robot back aboard their mothership accidentally triggering their super weapon and dropping a giant robot onto a city.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Steven wrote:Does Thunder Force VI's progressive scan mode have compatibility problems with the SCPH-90000?

I finally got a PS2 HD Retrovision cable today so I tried to play this in progressive scan, but instead I get this: https://imgur.com/a/4wsWHuk
I figured it out: I don't have progressive scan support over YCbCr, only over D-terminal. Sadness.
Lopenator

Post by Lopenator »

Hey I am considering doing the c11 ghosting fix on my SNES but heard about glitchy horizontal lines appearing as a side effect. Has anyone experienced this?
Last edited by Lopenator on Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Will we ever see Motoaki Furukawa's pet project, Steam Pilots? I heard something about a lawsuit, but I hope everything will turn out well...
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Been out of the shmup loop for the past 2 years or so. I just found out Crimzon Clover World:EXplosion was a thing. A little annoyed I missed the deadline 40% discount for owning CC:WI (which was a good 6 months from release :shock: )

What other shmups might I have missed over the last couple of years?
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
Steven

Post by Steven »

BurlyHeart wrote:Been out of the shmup loop for the past 2 years or so. I just found out Crimzon Clover World:EXplosion was a thing. A little annoyed I missed the deadline 40% discount for owning CC:WI (which was a good 6 months from release :shock: )

There's a bunch of awesome shit on ACA and M2 ShotTriggers, but for new stuff there is Cotton Reboot!, Cotton Rock 'n' Roll, the new Kiki Kaikai, Grand Cross ReNovation, Andro Dunos II, and I have heard HellSinker, which I bought the other day but have not played yet, is really good as well. G-Darius HD isn't a new game, but it got released recently and it's very good.

Some of the notable and relatively recent ACA releases from the past year include Xexex and Thunder Dragon 2, which of course means that IT'S TIME TO PUT IN MORE COINS MAN!
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Steven wrote:
BurlyHeart wrote:Been out of the shmup loop for the past 2 years or so. I just found out Crimzon Clover World:EXplosion was a thing. A little annoyed I missed the deadline 40% discount for owning CC:WI (which was a good 6 months from release :shock: )

There's a bunch of awesome shit on ACA and M2 ShotTriggers, but for new stuff there is Cotton Reboot!, Cotton Rock 'n' Roll, the new Kiki Kaikai, Grand Cross ReNovation, Andro Dunos II, and I have heard HellSinker, which I bought the other day but have not played yet, is really good as well. G-Darius HD isn't a new game, but it got released recently and it's very good.

Some of the notable and relatively recent ACA releases from the past year include Xexex and Thunder Dragon 2, which of course means that IT'S TIME TO PUT IN MORE COINS MAN!
Thank you, that's very helpful.
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Martinov

Post by Martinov »

Welcome back. The new release of Shikigami no Shiro 2 on Steam is worth a look; it has an additional arrange mode. In fact, I think it's the big Steam sale this weelend too, so good timing getting back in the game. Also look out for Blue Wish Desire, G-Mode DDP DOJ, Raging Blasters, Natsuki Chronicles, and Super Hydorah.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

BurlyHeart wrote:What other shmups might I have missed over the last couple of years?
Rolling Gunner just hit Switch and is an all-timer for sure imo. Zero Ranger & Blue Revolver made a lot of noise on the indie scene, if you missed those. And a bunch stuff showed up on EXA Arcadia, check out the treads here for more knowledgable discussion of that than I can provide.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Martinov wrote:

Welcome back. The new release of Shikigami no Shiro 2 on Steam is worth a look; it has an additional arrange mode. In fact, I think it's the big Steam sale this weelend too, so good timing getting back in the game. Also look out for Blue Wish Desire, G-Mode DDP DOJ, Raging Blasters, Natsuki Chronicles, and Super Hydorah.
Excellent, thank you! I'll for sure pick a few more during the sale.
Sengoku Strider wrote: Rolling Gunner just hit Switch and is an all-timer for sure imo. Zero Ranger & Blue Revolver made a lot of noise on the indie scene, if you missed those. And a bunch stuff showed up on EXA Arcadia, check out the treads here for more knowledgable discussion of that than I can provide.
Sorry, I should have specified PC only. My bad. I have Rolling Gunner for PC, but the Overpowered mode kinda put me off. It was...boring I thought. I've heard BKRoo talk about playing the original mode instead, and I must give it a proper go.

I love Blue Revolver and Zeroranger, and have actually restarted playing both. I credit Blue Revolver as the game that got me interested in scoring.
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

RG Overpower should be treated like a strange curiosity, an experimental arrange mode that's amusing to experiment with once or twice, then entirely ignored. It's vastly inferior to the main game, and the only real value it adds to the game is the fact that you can play with either soundtrack (S2 and S4 remixes are great, and you can swap the files around in the PC version as you please to play with whatever OST mix you like).

Rolling Gunner was one of my favorite new releases ever, whereas RG Overpower was a massive disappointment. Genuinely a bad mode, especially compared to the original. If you've only touched Overpower and not the original mode this is something YOU MUST FIX IMMEDIATELY. >w>
Creamy Goodness

Post by Creamy Goodness »

From what I saw RG: OP was really well regarded, but playing it I wasn't getting the hype. Big issue is that the whole Overpowered thing is very true. Thought I was going to 1cc the normal mode the first time I played it. When I sit down with it I think I will stick with the original mode.
sunnshiner

Post by sunnshiner »

Mostly shmup related and apologies for the dummyness of the question but...

Can having Launchbox/Big Box running cause additional input lag? I've noticed that Dreamcast emulation is really laggy whereas it used to be nice and crisp. Nothing has changed with the hardware I use. I'm stumped :?
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

BurlyHeart wrote:I have Rolling Gunner for PC
Y'know, while I'm passing through here I might as well ask; is there currently any way to play Rolling Gunner, Over Power or otherwise, on PC outside of owning the doujin CD? I vaguely recall an announcement that it would be coming to Steam, but to the best of my knowledge it's only made the trip to consoles so far; have I overlooked something on this front?
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

I don't recall ever seeing a link to purchase a digital download of either Rolling Gunner or its Overpower add-on to be honest. The only thing that I remember being distributed digitally was they sent download links to people who'd purchased the physical release of Overpower because the discs were taking a while to get printed and they sent the patch files so people didn't have to wait to receive the physical copy (which came 2-3 months later if I recall).
Steven

Post by Steven »

For the CAVE games on Steam, are there any reasons at all to get any of them on another system instead?