Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Steven

Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

Post by Steven »

...people play Thunder Force V at a speed other than max? Then again, I only ever use max speed in III and IV, too, so maybe I am weird. I guess I can test it, but I also typically play V with the analog controller to use the analog controls for some reason, so who knows.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Rebump again because new page: Do Thunder Force V on Saturn really have this "laggy" movement in lower ship speed? I have Mednafen emulator and so far this is the only shmup that I feel has laggy controls, tried others and they're fine, I wonder if this is emulator's internal lag (Saturn emulation is known for having huge input lag) or real hardware also have laggy movement for lower speed too.
Steven wrote:...people play Thunder Force V at a speed other than max? Then again, I only ever use max speed in III and IV, too, so maybe I am weird. I guess I can test it, but I also typically play V with the analog controller to use the analog controls for some reason, so who knows.
Lower speed needed for dodging the crazy shits in stage 6 boss, this guy in master difficulty really wants you dead, and dying here always lead to chain death + rare powerup drops on the stage after.
Steven

Post by Steven »

I've always had no problems with the stage 6 boss, but I've only ever played it on normal. The final boss is absolutely terrifying, though. I've never been able to kill the final boss without it timing out if I don't go into the fight at full strength, and I've never been able to no miss the final boss, so it basically turns into me doing a semi-intentional chain death to spam the Blade Over Weapon -> die (sometimes intentionally to refresh CRAWs, but mostly not intentionally) -> get CRAWs back, abusing the fact that they go back to 100% when you pick them up after you die -> repeat, hopefully without a game over.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Final boss really need a free range for optimal kill + 16x bonus with overweapon. Ideally you want to get close with his body then use overweapon at pointblank range and you must kill him ASAP on the third form or else his sword mode would crush you.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Unfortunately the Free Range is usually the first thing to go away since that's usually what I have when I die for the first time against the final boss, so yeah, Blade it is after that, although I do definitely try to switch weapons before I die. I have problems with telling where some attacks are on the z-axis in this game, unfortunately.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Too bad they never made a Thunder Force parody game with a Free Range weapon that throws chickens.
Steven

Post by Steven »

How the fuck does one recover against the Kyuukyoku Tiger stage 5 boss without doing the double tactical suicide? Bonus points if you can tell me how do it without autofire.
SPM

Post by SPM »

Steven wrote:How the fuck does one recover against the Kyuukyoku Tiger stage 5 boss without doing the double tactical suicide? Bonus points if you can tell me how do it without autofire.
https://twitter.com/SPM_NSW/status/1579 ... CjgLHRyt_A

Not the best execution but this can give you an idea. I didn't use bombs, but do so if you feel in danger at any moment!

P.S. the previous tweet shows a way to recover in stage 10 boss as well if you want to check it out
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
Steven

Post by Steven »

I had a feeling it was something like that. The damn popup turrets always get me when I try it, though. Uemura-san checked every single checkpoint in the game to make sure that you can recover from them, and he did it without autofire (and yes, although he very rarely plays anymore, he does still play without autofire), so I knew it is possible, but I just don't have the execution skills to do it yet. Hell, after playing the game for almost a year, I've only killed the stage 5 boss like 4 times.
SPM

Post by SPM »

Try doing that but plan 2 bombs for the turrets, one for each side, and keep the other one in case you panic at some point. And practice the boss fight to get into its rhythm, that's all. :wink: You've got this! 8)
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
Steven

Post by Steven »

I asked about this in the hardware section a while ago but no answers yet, so I might as well ask this here.

What the hell happened to this Out Zone PCB? https://www.ebay.com/itm/125484882195
Technicolor

Post by Technicolor »

I’d been trying to record some BHM Finale footage for Youtube to try and get back into playing again. I managed to finish a level pretty solidly tonight, but it’s hard to enjoy it… having finished my route multiple times, I’d find each time that my iPad would repeatedly fail to record it. Writing now, I’m too drained and tilted to execute any of it again, even though I think I’ve fixed the issue.

Is playing for a long time draining to you guys too? How do you guys deal with tilt? I have a really hard time just walking away and taking a breather, since I distract easily and I feel like a break would lead to me just not playing anymore for the night. I guess that’s not bad, per se, but that’s frustrating to me in the moment.

Writing this all out has helped me cool my head at least. Find some pride in the fact that I was able to form my route in the first place. I wonder if there’s a more appropriate thread for this…
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

Steven wrote:I asked about this in the hardware section a while ago but no answers yet, so I might as well ask this here.

What the hell happened to this Out Zone PCB? https://www.ebay.com/itm/125484882195
Just looks dusty to me. Well-used. It was probably sitting, untouched, in the same arcade cabinet for decades. Probably not too hard to clean up with some compressed air (or airgun) + vacuum attachment, then some 99% isopropyl alcohol + toothbrush on the surface. Do arcade PCBs need recaps? I would assume so.
Steven

Post by Steven »

OmegaFlareX wrote:
Steven wrote:I asked about this in the hardware section a while ago but no answers yet, so I might as well ask this here.

Just looks dusty to me. Well-used. It was probably sitting, untouched, in the same arcade cabinet for decades. Probably not too hard to clean up with some compressed air (or airgun) + vacuum attachment, then some 99% isopropyl alcohol + toothbrush on the surface. Do arcade PCBs need recaps? I would assume so.
Uh... I was more interested in the weird add-on board that it has on it that I've never seen on this hardware before that makes it look like a bootleg of some sort, but yes, sometimes PCBs do need recaps.

This is supposed to be the infamous Zero Wing -> Out Zone conversion PCB, but I'm not sure if it's supposed to look like a bootleg or not and it doesn't look like any Zero Wing PCB that I've seen.
llaoyllakcuf

Post by llaoyllakcuf »

Steven wrote:Uh... I was more interested in the weird add-on board that it has on it that I've never seen on this hardware before that makes it look like a bootleg of some sort, but yes, sometimes PCBs do need recaps.
Looks like a repair for a broken custom chip.

For example: https://caiusarcade.blogspot.com/2020/1 ... ction.html
Technicolor

Post by Technicolor »

What’re your guys opinions on Touhou World Cup? It’s seemingly never been brought up on this forum before, which I think is pretty surprising with all the Touhou discourse through the years.
bulletsnotfast

Post by bulletsnotfast »

can anyone give me a list of games like viewpoint because i can not find any.
Steven

Post by Steven »

bulletsnotfast wrote:can anyone give me a list of games like viewpoint because i can not find any.
What constitutes "like Viewpoint"? If it's just the perspective, there is Zaxxon and Parasquad/Zaxxon's Motherbase 2000.
bulletsnotfast

Post by bulletsnotfast »

Steven wrote:
bulletsnotfast wrote:can anyone give me a list of games like viewpoint because i can not find any.
What constitutes "like Viewpoint"? If it's just the perspective, there is Zaxxon and Parasquad/Zaxxon's Motherbase 2000.
i want games with the same perspective.
Steven

Post by Steven »

So this is a super stupid and random question, but I was playing Hishouzame just now and I was like

"Would R-Type work as a vertical game?"

So yeah, there you have it. Would R-Type work as a vertical game?
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Steven wrote:Would R-Type work as a vertical game?
Yes, it would. (More or less.)
BIL

Post by BIL »

Vertical R-Type = ImageFight imo. Peeps who love one tend to dig the other. :cool: The PCE-CD exclusive ImageFight II isn't as good - stymied by an awkward combo of milder difficulty, yet far less comfortable screen dimensions - but it's quite a decent STG in its own right, and notably features the R9 with its Force as a guest ship. Works pretty well IIRC.
bulletsnotfast wrote:
Steven wrote:
Isometrics? Max Warrior: Wakusei Kaigenrei aka Isolated Warrior on the FC/NES is a good one. Ground-based STG with some very cool jump n' bomb mechanics, plus super-cool art direction. By KID, same guys behind Recca.
Lander

Post by Lander »

I feel like Image Fight has more dick kicking by default, though that could be down to exposure bias.
It definitely has more absolute prize bastard tractor beams, that's for sure :x

Cool to learn about the R9 hidden in IF2 - might have to revisit it after my initial nope in light of that.
Herr Schatten wrote:Yes, it would. (More or less.)
I'd err on the side of more - that's some sincere homage :) and that ten second music loop is surprisingly groovy even after ten minutes, strange half-zombie-moan sample and all...

A follow-on question: Does a 4:3 game count as yokotate if the gameplay all lives in a square-aspect box?
BIL

Post by BIL »

Lander wrote:It definitely has more absolute prize bastard tractor beams, that's for sure :x
Ah, The Battle Of FuckButt Point Image Many brave men were SUCCed to their dooms on that day! ;-;7
Lander

Post by Lander »

BIL wrote:Ah, The Battle Of FuckButt Point Image Many brave men were SUCCed to their dooms on that day! ;-;7
Spectacular :) and evocative of a notion about Irem scroll rates I've been mulling of late, whereby the true horror is the slow-burn rising panic experienced by the final boss, watching on some remote feed as the impassive player ship inches closer at the speed of geology obliterating all and sundry - the galaxy's slowest unstoppable force, (relatively) soon to meet an all-too-movable object.

Though I was actually thinking of the twin pancake-o-matics from the final battle - looking at the ludicrous milk of more skilled runs, I see I used the Ted Striker sweat-it-out strat for that section :lol:
Last edited by Lander on Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Post by MOSQUITO FIGHTER »

Does anyone have a complete list of UPL games? The only one I found was the giant bomb list and I really doubt that it's complete.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

bulletsnotfast wrote:
Steven wrote:
BIL wrote:Isometrics? Max Warrior: Wakusei Kaigenrei aka Isolated Warrior on the FC/NES is a good one. Ground-based STG with some very cool jump n' bomb mechanics, plus super-cool art direction. By KID, same guys behind Recca.
See also The Reap on PC. A game that flips the standard shmup storyline since you play as an alien race attempting to invade the Earth.
Last edited by Kiken on Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

The Reap looks like a neat game. Soundtrack is groovy, never heard of it before.

Interesting to see your quote tag failed to register. It looks like quote=“BIL” fails because it doesn't recognize the quotation marks but quote="BIL" works as expected. Weird.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:Interesting to see your quote tag failed to register. It looks like quote=“BIL” fails because it doesn't recognize the quotation marks but quote="BIL" works as expected. Weird.
I was posting from my iPhone at work and it did that with the quotes. I just decided to wait until I was on my computer to fix it.
Haddock

Post by Haddock »

Does anyone know what happened to the supposed Shikigami no shiro 2 switch port? About a year ago I could’ve sworn I saw it announced for this year but I can’t find anything about it :( Shame because it looks like a very fun shmup