Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
John4300

Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

Post by John4300 »

Valtele wrote:what's your opinion on credit-feeding while playing with MAME for learning purposes? if it's already exhausted theme, sorry for that xD
Also, credit feeding some games reduces rank (difficulty) a lot, so if you credit feed, the game might be really different when you get to a later part with one credit, even if you died beforehand with one credit.

From checkpoint games, I think Gradius 4 is like this. If you play with one credit, the game is really vicious. However, if you credit feed, the game gets easier with credits fed. It's been a long time since I played Gradius 4 however, so don't take my word on it.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Does anyone have a linux build of MAME 0.239 or whatever the last one was that ran SDOJ and Akai Katana?
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

How do people get so many 1-ups to drop in Battle Bakraid?
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

XoPachi wrote:How do people get so many 1-ups to drop in Battle Bakraid?
It's tied to score, so you will need to master the scoring multiplier and chain enemies and boss parts to produce multiple extends at once.

If you're unfamiliar with the scoring system, I'd say head to the strategy section and search for the threads on Bakraid bc there's a lot of info you need to understand to git gud at this one.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Ok here's a weird one. Does anyone know what unlocking EX1 and EX2 in Shienryu Explosion means? If you clear the game, it gives you some requirements to meet to unlock these but I'm not sure if it's worth the effort. I am hoping it's extra stages? Extra bosses?
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Jonpachi wrote:Ok here's a weird one. Does anyone know what unlocking EX1 and EX2 in Shienryu Explosion means? If you clear the game, it gives you some requirements to meet to unlock these but I'm not sure if it's worth the effort. I am hoping it's extra stages? Extra bosses?
Extra levels, yeah. I have a vague recollection that both requirements are fairly easy to reach.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Are Terra Force, Armed Formation F, UFO Robo Dangar, Soldier Girl Amazon, Legion Spinner '87, and Sky Robo part of the Terra Cresta franchise? I don't see what the first three have to do with Cresta, but I keep hearing they're part of it, although I do know Dangar features similar gameplay to Terra Cresta, and in Sky Robo, Mandler, the main villain of the Terra Cresta series, shows up as a normal enemy.
Ice Beam

Post by Ice Beam »

I recently 1cc'd Darius Gaiden without losing a life. Can I claim this as a no-miss, despite getting hit and losing my shield? Or is a no-miss not getting hit at all?
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Ice Beam wrote:I recently 1cc'd Darius Gaiden without losing a life. Can I claim this as a no-miss, despite getting hit and losing my shield? Or is a no-miss not getting hit at all?
As long as you didn't die that's a no miss. The hit box for your shield is much bigger than for the ship, making it extremely difficult to get through the game without at least getting grazed.

Also ramming a boss, enemy or especially a midboss capture ball with your shield to inflict damage is a valid tactic in specific situations.

Since you get 5k for picking up another blue medal at max shield there's a decent incentive for keeping your shield full if you're going for really high scores. On the pickups where your shield levels up from green to silver, or silver to gold there's no bonus even if you're at max.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Ice Beam wrote:I recently 1cc'd Darius Gaiden without losing a life. Can I claim this as a no-miss, despite getting hit and losing my shield? Or is a no-miss not getting hit at all?
Yeah, as long as you don't lose a life it's a "no miss."
Mero

Post by Mero »

Ghegs wrote:
Jonpachi wrote:Ok here's a weird one. Does anyone know what unlocking EX1 and EX2 in Shienryu Explosion means? If you clear the game, it gives you some requirements to meet to unlock these but I'm not sure if it's worth the effort. I am hoping it's extra stages? Extra bosses?
Extra levels, yeah. I have a vague recollection that both requirements are fairly easy to reach.
Late reply but I remember for one of them you have to get a bosses homing shot to hit itself.
Starfighter

Post by Starfighter »

Two questions! A slightly weird GIF is promised to the one that can answer.

Question 1) The recent mentions of Giga Wing Generations in the "worst port"-thread made me want to revisit the game and compare my PS2 copy to MAME. Turns out I can't find a working v2.02J set and as far as I've been able to understand (I understand very little of anything) the Taito Type X-hardware isn't really approachable in terms of MAME at this point. Is it true then that my one and only option (save for getting the PCB) to play GWG is my copy of the PS2 port? :o

Question 2) I've been using Arcade Italia to check arcade game related nitty-gritties but the other day I realized there must be other alternatives out there, right? Is there? If so, what's generally concidered the most complete?
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Starfighter wrote:Is it true then that my one and only option (save for getting the PCB) to play GWG is my copy of the PS2 port? :o
Unfortunately that seems to be the case. ;w;
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

Starfighter wrote:Question 1) Is it true then that my one and only option (save for getting the PCB) to play GWG is my copy of the PS2 port? :o
All the variants of Type-X are x86 PC hardware so no "emulation", per se, is required. Assuming you have a PC. There are MAME-like "loaders" out there that will run them. I haven't really messed around with it because they are not MAME-affiliated and all seem to come from really sketchy-looking websites. But I've seen people like Icarus stream them before.
Question 2) I've been using Arcade Italia to check arcade game related nitty-gritties but the other day I realized there must be other alternatives out there, right? Is there? If so, what's generally concidered the most complete?
Thanks for this link! I've been looking for a site like that. I've got a full MAMEUI setup (using Arcade64) that I can bring up and get roughly the same info, but it's from several years ago and I haven't bothered updating it.

Sometimes system16.com has a little more info about the hardware that mameinfo.dat doesn't cover.
Starfighter

Post by Starfighter »

Thank's fellas for the replies! Here's the promised reward:
Spoiler
Edit: Armed with the knowledge there's some way to play it on PC I found TeknoParrot and a couple of minutes later I was playing Gigawing Generations on my PC. Clear graphics, smooth framerate... Wow. It's like a whole other game! :D I'll never play the PS2 port again.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

I was thinking about it and I'm actually stunned Vic Viper and R-9 Arrowhead were not guests in Darius Burst's little crossover packs. Was a reason given for this? Because I'm not going to believe Taito didn't consider the two quintessential horizontal STG classics that Darius stands amongst.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

If you could recommend one hori shmup for PC, what would it be? Currently trying to choose between Drainius, Darius Arcade, and Natsuki Chronicles, but open to other suggestions.

Just as a guide, I love Gradius V & Dariusburst AC, and would consider myself a very average player.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
Steven

Post by Steven »

BurlyHeart wrote:If you could recommend one hori shmup for PC, what would it be? Currently trying to choose between Drainius, Darius Arcade, and Natsuki Chronicles, but open to other suggestions.

Just as a guide, I love Gradius V & Dariusburst AC, and would consider myself a very average player.
I'd probably go with Infinos Gaiden. I do like Natsuki Chronicles a lot, though.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Natsuki Chronicles if you're taking it easy.
Darius AC Collection if your weiner weighs 2 pounds like a true hardcore gamer.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Steven wrote:
BurlyHeart wrote:If you could recommend one hori shmup for PC, what would it be? Currently trying to choose between Drainius, Darius Arcade, and Natsuki Chronicles, but open to other suggestions.

I'd probably go with Infinos Gaiden. I do like Natsuki Chronicles a lot, though.
Good recommendations, thank you. Infinios Gaiden is actually on my wishlist, but I had kinda forgotten about it. Will bump it up on my priorities.
XoPachi wrote:Natsuki Chronicles if you're taking it easy.
Darius AC Collection if your weiner weighs 2 pounds like a true hardcore gamer.
I seriously want the AC collection. I actually have it as a PS4 disc, but sold my PS4 sadly. so it's just lying on a shelf collecting dust :(

Seems like Natsuki Chronicles is the winner. I remember iconoclasts recommending it too.

I just remembered the Steam Summer Sale is just around the corner (June 23 - Jul7). Might be wise to hold off a bit.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
Starfighter

Post by Starfighter »

Are there any hidden perks to play different versions/player sides/ship types of and in DonPachi? I'm currently playing the Saturn version instead of MAME because that's making me the most nostalgic since DonPachi was one of the first Saturn shooters I got all those years ago. :)

I've got stage 1, 2 and 3 down as "able to clear no miss everytime" but stage 4 and 5 are giving me quite the handful. I'm currently practicing stage 4 and I'm making good progress (getting the 1up, using at most one bomb during the stage) but then I thought... could this be easier? Am I playing it in an unnecessarily troublesome way? I'm only slightly above beginner so any tip that makes it more manageable is welcome! I'm currently playing Type C because I'm easily overwhelmed by the smaller enemies with Type A, and Type B never really clicked with me.

Also, do anyone know if I can play as only P2 on the Saturn version? Love the alternate colors but I can't seem to pick them without also having P1 present.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Stage 4 is, generally speaking, the hardest in the game. This is particularly true in loop 2 where the patterns all have revenge bullets, and there's minimal extra bombs to find, unlike Stage 5 which has like 5 bombs throughout the stage.

The alternate colors are just for looks in Donpachi; there are apparently no differences between P1 and P2. Note that this is not true of the sequel, Dodonpachi, where there are some minor differences between P1 and P2 sides but that mostly apply to high level scoring play and if you're able to reach Hibachi.

Type C is the widest and generally considered the easiest for a 1 loop clear...? It's kinda weak in terms of frontal damage though, and the low speed is a liability in Donpachi due to the hitbox being slightly larger compared to later games. Its slow speed is particularly concerning if you loop the game and are aiming for a loop 2 clear.

Type A is the thinnest type and also moves the fastest. It's actually the easiest ship in the game to get a 2 loop clear with, but because of how the revenge bullets work in the loop. Once you memorize all the enemy appearances, having a thin shot type that can move quickly becomes advantageous for following a route.

Type B is my personal fave and the one I'm currently working on clearing with (have gotten to the end of loop 2, stage 5 a few times now, getting there with enough resources to kill Taisabachi is the main problem now...). With the C button autofire enabled, Type B is actually the strongest in the game. It's got a decently wide main shot, the ability to sweep the screen similar to Type C, and has more speed. Its only real downside is it's not quite as fast as Type A (and its laser sfx sucks ;w;).

Type B can sweep its pods rapidly to the sides by holding down and tapping left or right, allowing it to quickly sweep waves of enemy popcorn ships. You can also tap and hold Shot rhythmically to recenter the gunpods as you're moving, so you effectively only fire straight forward. It's a very versatile and effective ship if you put a bit of effort into it, and I'd say it's arguably the best for a loop 1 clear when you invest a bit of time in learning to control it (because Type C is so slow in this one compared to later games like DDP). Its rapid shot damage beats out the rapid and laser damage of all shot types (except on bosses where laser gets a damage bonus, use the rapid shot when you need speed to dodge though) and the only thing stronger is laser aura damage. You can basically clear out entire stages of big enemies with the rapid shot alone, getting both focused straight damage and popcorn sweeping as needed.

Like later games in the series, the laser aura around your ship is very strong, dealing roughly double the normal laser damage, and there's some chances to use it well on many bosses except the fortress at the end of stage 5 (which will blast you immediately with a unique attack if you approach it). The aura includes touching enemies with the gunpods that are firing the laser.

All ships have identical bombs in terms of how they function. Laser bombs are ideal on bosses due to massive damage, but generally speaking spread bombs are better in stages because few enemies in the middle of stages have enough health to survive a spread bomb or merit the use of a laser bomb.
Last edited by BareKnuckleRoo on Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Starfighter

Post by Starfighter »

Incredibly helpful, thank you! I'll make sure to try Type B some more with this information in mind. I must admit I didn't even know there was a C button autofire option, I just put A button on two buttons and activated the turbo function on my stick on one of them. :oops: :lol:
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

I don't know anything about the Saturn version, but most CAVE games in the arcade have an autofire option you can enable (or disable, but why would you??). It's eventually on by default for Daioujou, Espgaluda, and Mushihesama onward. Hold F2 in MAME and go into the menu to enable it for Donpachi.

Also, if you're sick of the music, you can disable it in MAME. Press Tab, go into Slider Controls and set OKI1 Left / Right to 0.

Donpachi is unique in that its autofire actually is FASTER than you get by tapping just shot alone, so it represents a nice bit of bonus damage. You definitely want autofire enabled.

(note: don't turn on autofire in ESP.Ra.De, it only affects the sub-shot and having it on causes it to fire in awkward spurts before recharging, as opposed to it waiting for the sub-shot meter to refill fully before firing again, with autofire off you can hold it down and it'll autofire full bursts every time the meter refills which are very effective)
Starfighter

Post by Starfighter »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:Donpachi is unique in that its autofire actually is FASTER than you get by tapping just shot alone, so it represents a nice bit of bonus damage.
Oh wow, that's nice. That's the first real reason for me to switch to MAME (I went with the Saturn version because no, for me, useful difference and the added nostalgia), I'll keep that in mind.
BareKnuckleRoo wrote:don't turn on autofire in ESP.Ra.De
10-4 chief! Well, ESP.Ra.De is the one PCB I actually own so I guess I'm always playing that one as vanilla as it gets. :D
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Does the Saturn port of Donpachi really not have an autofire option...? Is autofire not setup on any of its buttons for the rapid shot? I checked it out and the options don't seem to have such a thing, and if that's the case then yeah, it's pretty unfortunate.
Starfighter

Post by Starfighter »

Not that I've been able to find anyway! But on the other hand, the music quality is way better in the Saturn port. I just tried it in MAME and I suddenly understand why people want to turn it off. :D
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Yeah... the SFX quality's pretty good, aside from the weird "squeak" sound when picking up starts, and Type B's grinding laser noise, but the music plays back at a really unfortunately poor bitrate. Turn off the music and play the Saturn OST? :P
Starfighter

Post by Starfighter »

Wow. So. Uhm, I gave the arcade version a first proper try now, and 1CC:ed it right away. It's significantly easier than the Saturn port. I almost no-missed the 1CC and went on to play up to the boss on 2-3 (even though I was pleased with my initial goal of 1-All and kind of didn't play dedicated past that). Great stuff!
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Congrats! I've never tried the Saturn version but I've heard it was never well regarded... and it seems like you've come to the conclusion it's a well-deserved reputation. Such a shame about the port. :(