shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:43 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3890 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 126, 127, 128, 129, 130
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:59 am 

Well, apologies again, that's what I get for trusting random articles on the web. Where exactly did that myth come from anyway..?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:13 am 

trap15 wrote:
No, I specifically meant manufacturing the hardware for Toaplan while Toaplan existed.

Also, Bakraid and Dimahoo are from 1999 and 2000 respectively, so I think it's a little weird to say Raizing was formed by ex-Toaplan when their direct contributions were at least 6 years after their first game.

Only if you interpret 'formed' as meaning 'founded by' rather than 'made up of.' But I don't think it's a huge deal either way, just one of those tidbits that seems to have been thrown into the stock description of the company every fan wiki on the internet copied off each other to highight some cross pollination.

But that second interview I posted does have some really good anecdotes, like this one:

—What made you choose a sword and sorcery fantasy world as the setting for a shooting game in Mahou Daisakusen?

Yokoo: In the beginning it was titled Haougekiden Saifuaa 2 and was planned around a Chinese martial arts theme, but some staff from Toaplan gave us some advice that “shooting games should have worldwide appeal,” so in order to attract more players we revised the game, and Mahou Daisakusen was the result.

-----------------

There's also this:

Toyama: Mahou Daisakusen was Raizing’s first game, so we recieved various advice from Toaplan staff at the time. I think they taught us about the difference between arcade and console games, and how to approach making games that would be profitable at game centers.

—Was there any other advice you received from Toaplan staff?

Yokoo: They also told us things like “Shooting games are about the journey, not the destination, so boss battles should simply be a bonus extra. They don’t have to be incredibly difficult to be fun.” It was different from our thinking in a number of ways, but those words taught us the value of interesting zako fights, and in that respect we incorporated their advice into our games.

Toyama: I had a lot of discussions with them about technical things like programming methods, but I don’t think we talked about the games themselves much. Other than that, they told us we should choose titles for our overseas versions that didn’t obscure or hide the titles of our products or company name here in Japan. Toaplan’s games definitely followed this naming rule with things like “Truxton,” which sounds similar to “Tatsujin,” and they had various English titles which looked like neologisms of the original titles. But in America, there are many similar names of things domestically, so who knows now whether something is a reference to something in Japan or not. In the end we didn’t follow that advice and named the overseas version of Mahou Daisakusen “Sorcer Striker.”

---------------

So there isn't any question Toaplan folks were involved with them right from the beginning, helping guide their first game. Though if I had to guess, this happened over drinks with Toa guys as they talked about their new venture, rather than any formal consulting.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:16 am 

Two guys contributing to two or three games doesn't really constitute "made up of" I think. It's definitely one of those things someone decided was the truth a decade ago and everyone just accepted and copy-pasted it, so it's why I'm so adamant about correcting the record. Someone has to combat the fake news :wink:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:15 am 

1. Does scoring in Futari original BL/original and ultra 1.5, means just changing shot type when you hear the sound (or color change of numbers)? What more is there to it?

2. How can one do massive damage in Futari BL (God) with Reco shot on some bosses? (staying on top of level 3 boss and using shot, does fast massive damage in superplays, that i can't replicate). Is there a combination of buttons involved, that make the point blank shooting much stronger?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:25 am 

1) Use rapid shot to finish enemies when the counter is green, use laser to finish enemies when the counter is blue. In Black Label Original, you get a pointblank gem shedding bonus for using the appropriate coloured shot at close range, and when the Stage Counter gets maxed at 9999 you enter a high rank mode where speeds increase, but all gems shed this way are large gems.

2) Reco Abnormal in 1.5 and Reco BL both have a pointblank bonus when using shot. Look at the explosions when your main shots hit enemies when at long range vs at pointblank range; that's the indicator when you're doing boosted damage. In both cases, Reco still does as much/more damage when using laser with full lock ons, though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:00 pm 

Thanks very much, so that's the purpose of the (up to) 9999 number in BL.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:27 pm 

Gonna install retroarch on my new pc, it's only got soc Intel uhd graphics , I fucked up abit as older model had iris graphics card urghh but these shmups we all love, none of em need fancy graphics card do they? Think my 8 yr old Mac played mush,ket,dodon etc
Thnx in advance

Sent from my Redmi Note 8T using Tapatalk

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:49 am 

trap15 wrote:
Two guys contributing to two or three games doesn't really constitute "made up of" I think. It's definitely one of those things someone decided was the truth a decade ago and everyone just accepted and copy-pasted it, so it's why I'm so adamant about correcting the record. Someone has to combat the fake news :wink:

From what I know it would be more accurate to say that Raizing was formed by ex Compile staff. That was the common thread between Kazuyuki Nakashima, Yuichi Toyama, and Kenichi Yokoo who made Sorcer Striker along with a composer. They worked on games like MUSHA and Spriggan. I think it was just Toyama who was also at Toaplan.

Speaking of correcting the record Nakashima also directed Battle Garegga, not Yagawa.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:45 am 

Question... is there any way to buy The Simpsons Arcade game for PS3?

Today I happened to come across a PS3 with a couple games for cheap and so went ahead and bought it. I got home and plugged it in and found that everything is working just fine. But I don't know much about PS3's or their games. (I do have a PS2 and play PS1 and PS2 games on it.) But one game that was available on the PS3 that had me wanting to buy one a few years back was The Simpsons Arcade game. It looks like it's a downloadable game, or at least was. I just can't seem to find it in the PlayStation Store.

Anyhow, maybe I'm just venting a bit since I was bummed that I won't be able to play this game. I loved playing The Simpsons with my brothers and sister in an arcade we visited once when I was a kid.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:43 am 

Rastan78 wrote:
I think it was just Toyama who was also at Toaplan.

I'd never heard of Toyama being at Toaplan, have a staff roll entry or something?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:01 am 

Issac Zachary wrote:

It was delisted years ago, so unfortunately no. I don't think it's available anywhere outside of emulation.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:06 am 

Oh yeah, you're right. For some reason I was conflating Toyama with Tatsuya Uemura.

Uemura went from Toaplan to Gazelle and only did work for Raizing later on.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:43 am 

Sengoku Strider wrote:
Issac Zachary wrote:

It was delisted years ago, so unfortunately no. I don't think it's available anywhere outside of emulation.

Thanks! Too bad they delisted it. I wonder why they did.

I guess now I have to decide what to do with the PS3. I do like the Gran Turismo 5 game I got with it. Now I own Gran Turismo 2, 3, 4 and 5.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:37 am 

Issac Zachary wrote:
Thanks! Too bad they delisted it. I wonder why they did.

It's not uncommon with older licensed properties. The publisher has to pay to renew the license, so often these games only come back for a year or so, as sales tend to be heavily front-loaded anyway. lt happened with X-Men the Arcade Game and D&D Chronicles of Mystaria as well.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:36 pm 

el_rika wrote:
Thanks very much, so that's the purpose of the (up to) 9999 number in BL.

As far as I can tell, the Stage Counter is also used in all modes that have it (1.5 Ori/Ult - BL Ori) to determine the value of collected gems. The higher the Stage Counter, the more points you get when collecting gems.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Looking for a game
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:23 am 

Ok so this game came out in the early 2000's it's a top down shmup that had a very similar esthetic to doom, all the bosses were big and had different parts to destroy, giant mechanical fleshy things. If anyone has any idea what it's called I would love to know, I grew up playing and would like to revisit.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:19 pm 

EDIT: sorry, wrong section.

Last edited by pedroTFP on Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:38 pm 

Does anyone have any first-hand experience with the PC Engine Mini versions of Gradius 1?

Regarding the "near arcade" version:
- Is it the actual arcade game or just an enhanced version of the original PCE release?
- Does it run well?

Regarding the PCE version:
- Does it fix the excessive slowdown?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Looking for a game
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:06 pm 

Ytsurk wrote:
Ok so this game came out in the early 2000's it's a top down shmup that had a very similar esthetic to doom, all the bosses were big and had different parts to destroy, giant mechanical fleshy things. If anyone has any idea what it's called I would love to know, I grew up playing and would like to revisit.

This is a bit vague; so far we know it's an organic/flesh themed shmup that's top down, but don't have any real info on anything else in the game.

Is it a 4:3 aspect ratio with a vertical screen? Is it a vertizontal game (vertical with a horizontal aspect like Giga Wing/Mars Matrix? Is it for arcade, a console, for PC? Is it single player only, 2 player? Do you remember what the player ship looked like, do you remember any specifics about player weapons or powerups, did you have a bomb, do you remember any details about enemies or bosses?

Was the aesthetic something like Galshell 2 or Gynoug?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:24 pm 

So, there are so many Touhou games on Steam, both official and fanmade ones, so i could use some recommendations:) Already got Fantastic Danmaku Festival and from what little i've played, it felt nice:)

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3890 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 126, 127, 128, 129, 130