shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:53 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3847 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 125, 126, 127, 128, 129  Next
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:25 pm 

endali wrote:
Sengoku Strider wrote:
What on Earth is "Garegga" supposed tp mean? For the longest time (before actually seeing the game) I just assumed it was some Galaga spinoff. I tried searching in Japanese but even there I never saw any kind of explanation.

https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=58243&start=960

Thanks, so it's possibly maybe - the post says "a corruption of 'recca,'" I assume they mean rekka (烈火), as in inferno? If they had in the back of their minds some weird portmanteau of Galaga (just as a general STG reference) - garaga in Japanese - and rekka, or like the other suggestion says garage - garēji in Japanese - that would make some kind of sense.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:10 pm 

烈火/Recca is the name of a previous Yagawa game. So the theory in that thread is that they wanted a name reminiscent of that game, which Garegga is in some ways (well, all Yagawa games are a bit reminiscent of Recca really).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:27 am 

Lethe wrote:
烈火/Recca is the name of a previous Yagawa game. So the theory in that thread is that they wanted a name reminiscent of that game, which Garegga is in some ways (well, all Yagawa games are a bit reminiscent of Recca really).

Aahhh, that thing. Haven't thought about it in years (or ever played it, for that matter). Wasn't aware of its lineage.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:53 am 

Sengoku Strider wrote:
What on Earth is "Garegga" supposed tp mean? For the longest time (before actually seeing the game) I just assumed it was some Galaga spinoff. I tried searching in Japanese but even there I never saw any kind of explanation.

I’ve always understood it to mean “garage”, as in “Battle Garage” given that all the ships look like they’re homemade hunks of junk.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:54 am 

Jonpachi wrote:
Sengoku Strider wrote:

I’ve always understood it to mean “garage”, as in “Battle Garage” given that all the ships look like they’re homemade hunks of junk.

On its own I'm not sure that would quite make sense. Garage in Japanese is ガレージ - garēji (ga-ray-ji). Garegga in the title is written ガレッガ (ga-reg-ga), with both Gs pronounced, and both as hard Gs. So there probably needs to be at least a little more to the story.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:32 am 

I picked up a copy of Sega Ages Fantasy Zone on Saturn yesterday and noticed that it defaults to "easy" difficulty. Is that true of the PCB as well, or does the PCB default to "medium". I want to make sure I'm playing on the same settings as arcade. This is referring to the JP version btw.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:31 am 

As far as I can see for every pcb version the standard difficulty is set on normal

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:42 am 

Thanks!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:58 am 

I've been wondering about starting a small database of DIP defaults, lately. Most of my gaming ATM is via Arcade Archives, and I notice a fair bit of mid-80s stuff tends to default to "Easy," "Easiest," etc. SNK's TANK, Ikari, Dogosoken and Guevara all do, meaning difficulty 1 out of 4. Meanwhile the later Genshitou and SAR use "Normal," or difficulty 2 out of 4.

I need to look up ASO/Alpha Mission... ACA has it at Normal, while SNK 40th uses Easy. I'm leaning to the latter, just for consistency with its contemporaries, but both Hamster and Digital Eclipse are pretty good with original materials (the latter's patchy emulation quality aside).

Tecmo's Star Force is another "Easiest" default. Incidentally, Tecmo's North American manuals refer to the difficulty as "Normal / Special 1 / Special 2 / Special 3." Should be stressed that none of the aforementioned are "Easy" at all on defaults - Guevara in particular is balls-hard. Meanwhile, SAR's comfy speed and firepower make its "Normal" easier than any of them (killer game BTW).

Soukyugurentai's Saturn port is well-known for defaulting one below arcade difficulty, with the options screen specifically noting this (in Japanese). The stand-alone PS2 Metal Slugs are similar, mimicking the AES cartridges - you need to bump the difficulty up by one, to get what the MVS carts label "Level 4."

Non-STG, but my favourite example is Double Dragon II, whose factory default is "Normal" (2 out of 4), but whose manual suggests operators use "Hard" (= slight enemy HP buff)... while also enabling the EZ Tatsumaki. Image I'm guessing this is so the 80s kids would go WHOAAA spamming the SHAWEET spinning kick, while the AI punished the shit out of their bad fundamentals. :lol:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:30 pm 

Lol :D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:38 pm 

Does anyone know if there's a glitch in Zed Blade for the Neo Geo which causes the stage BGM to suddenly get interrupted by the title screen BGM until the boss shows up?

I noticed this while playing on my MiSTer, but never noticed this on Arcade Archives or MAME, so I'm assuming it's some inaccuracy in the FPGA core.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:18 pm 

I'm not sure about SNK 40th's consistency with difficulty. The Samurai Showdown collection and SF collections had the difficulty tuned low for a surprising amount of games. Especially puzzling for SS since level 4 was the standard, AFAIK.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:45 am 

cave hermit wrote:
Does anyone know if there's a glitch in Zed Blade for the Neo Geo which causes the stage BGM to suddenly get interrupted by the title screen BGM until the boss shows up?

I've played the game a lot on cartridge and never seen that happen.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:01 am 

BIL wrote:
I've been wondering about starting a small database of DIP defaults, lately.

This would be an amazing resource if we had it, but it would also be a massive undertaking. I never realised those old SNK titles actually did default to easy; I've always been turning up the difficulty to normal.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:00 am 

One cool thing about Kyukyoku Tiger for the Mega Drive, as noted by others on this forum, is the 4:3 aspect ratio which makes it a really intense close combat experience.

Is the FM Towns conversion the same? What about the X68000 Hishouzame? From a casual glance at videos on youtube, this might actually be the case.

Or is the cut off area still "active"?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:08 am 

I've not played X68k Hishouzame, but I can confirm the Towns one leaves the cropped-off playfield active. So you're constantly exchanging fire with offscreen enemies, often killing them without visual contact. It's a shame, as it otherwise captures the feel of the arcade version. Toaplan's own policy of the cropped border being the new edge of the playfield in their MD conversions was the far superior approach.

VING would do a lot better with their Saturn RayForce, whose yoko mode is similarly afflicted (lots of stuff is now out of bounds and can't be targeted), but whose tate is close to arcade-perfect.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:41 am 

Thanks BIL. I should clarify here that I was asking about FM towns Kyukyoku Tiger (not FM towns Hishouzame), which is also Ving, so it might just be the same anyway, since from your report it seems like the active off is a Ving thing.

X68000 Hishouzame is Kaneko, so more hope there.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:25 pm 

I recall seeing a video of someone demonstrating trackball support in X68k Kyukyoku Tiger, that was pretty amazing.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:40 pm 

trap15 wrote:
cave hermit wrote:

I've played the game a lot on cartridge and never seen that happen.

Same here. Played the cart a bunch on both MVS and AES hardware and have never experienced this behaviour.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:59 pm 

Are any of the __zeal games worth a shot if I'm a scrub? I see they're all on sale on steam but I don't know anything about them.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:41 pm 

I had a lot of fun with Trizeal. It's pretty easy to pick up and learn while still being sufficiently "weird" to feel like a unique experience and give you a good taste of what Triangle Service's games are like.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:46 am 

DietSoap wrote:
Are any of the __zeal games worth a shot if I'm a scrub? I see they're all on sale on steam but I don't know anything about them.

As BareKnuckleRob stated, Trizeal is perhaps Fujino's most focused and conventional game. Second best would be DeltaZeal (aka G-Stream 2020) which, while a bit rough around the edges, has a fairly flexible power-up system and player-selected stage variants. XIIZeal (aka XII Stag) and Exzeal are more of an acquired taste with all their joystick wiggling-based play mechanics.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:28 pm 

+1 that if going for a *zeal game Trizeal is the most approachable. But rough is the word for all these games imho. I can list 10 better shmups on Steam on command.

Also of note is the scoring mechanics that involves a peculiar medalling system where medals drop off the screen so quickly you need to know exactly what you're doing. A big chunk of the enjoyment comes from that planning. Patterns or stages on their own aren't all that hot if you're going to ignore scoring.

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:44 pm 

Is there any way to control rank in Einhander? I wasn't aware the game even had a rank system, but now that I've been working on it I'm finding it to be quite aggressive. One clear example is the Stage 3 mid-boss. The entire stage layout actually changes depending on how well you do. Get there without dying and there will be narrow corridors to fly through (while he's shooting at you) and he will power-up a secondary enemy on the ceiling to fire a wide beam that tracks back and forth across the stage. Yet if you come in having died, you won't get funneled into any corridors, and he won't use the charge beam.

Just curious if there's a way to control rank other than dying? The game is not generous enough with extends to go full Garegga on it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:43 pm 

I'm reaching with this one but can anyone help me figure out how to do well in Space Raiders for the GCN/PS2? I just bought a CARBY adapter for the GCN and I'm playing this but my scores are nowhere near the top default high scores. There's a combo mechanism for consecutive shots but it doesn't seem to do much. Does anyone even remember this game?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:22 am 

Did Radiant Silvergun on Xbox 360 every get an update to support fullscreen on 4:3 displays? Or does it still letterbox to 16:9?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:04 am 

Is anyone familiar with the Brook Universal Fighting Board? I'm trying to see if there is more than 1 level of autofire, as the one that normally activates is pretty slow (about 5 shots per second, if I were to guess).

I couldn't find any documentation searching on their site or anywhere else, most people tend to use it for fighting game application.

thanks in advance!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:20 am 

I think these songs are very similar to each other, does anyone else agree? Sonic Wings also had a helicopter character that could angle shots, kind of like a 2D Under Defeat...

Under Defeat music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTguKOrN4CU

Sonic Wings music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-lyl9Z ... 05&index=7

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:53 pm 

GGA_HAN wrote:
Is anyone familiar with the Brook Universal Fighting Board? I'm trying to see if there is more than 1 level of autofire, as the one that normally activates is pretty slow (about 5 shots per second, if I were to guess).

I couldn't find any documentation searching on their site or anywhere else, most people tend to use it for fighting game application.

thanks in advance!

I have a shmup stick with a UFB in it. Unless they've released a firmware update recently that changed something, it only has a single level of autofire.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:10 pm 

How do the gray medals in Darius Gaiden work? Sometimes I get 12800 other times I get 50... }:[

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3847 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 125, 126, 127, 128, 129  Next