shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:13 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3274 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110  Next
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:19 pm 

I guess depends on who is maintaining the highscore table/thread. But yeah, I wouldn't make it a requirement across all tables, even if we are pretty relaxed with any formal verification of scores.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:48 pm 

How come I sometimes see Ti2's hair is short then long? She makes me think of Weiss from Arcana Heart or Fio and Esto from Astebreed.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:02 pm 

Macross 2 has a lot of flashy text to announce the point bonuses you have unlocked, alongside a fast-paced musical jingle.

What kind of other shmups have the same kind of feature? I know the Star Soldier and Bullet Soul games do that with their bonuses, but are there any others? The flashier, the more exciting, and the more dynamic, the better.

Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:53 pm 

Do the Iridion and Nano series take place in the same verse? I mean, not only are they from the same company, but the final boss in Nanostray is the exact same final boss as Iridion 3D and II.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:27 pm 

Anyone knows why Shmupmame 4.2 cannot save vsync settings?

M.Knight wrote:
What kind of other shmups have the same kind of feature?

Sexy Parodius probably worth mentioning, certain enemies have point bonus with 8-bit fonts if I remember.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:30 pm 

Not really a question, but the other day I figured out why Konami GX shumps and Psikyo SH2 shumps were using absurd levels of CPU resources in sdlmame (the former because sleep was off, the latter because waitvsync needed to be enabled).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:53 pm 

copy-paster : Thanks!
I even see that there are two types of point bonuses displayed : the enemies with the 8-bit font, and the coins with a bigger, goofier font. That's interesting!

If anybody else also has other examples, I am still all ears.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:08 pm 

Would the blood-spattered banners that appear when you perform a "prestige kill" in Vasara count? I assume Cave's various flashy multiplier/cancel pyrotechnics aren't really what you're looking for...

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:25 pm 

M.Knight wrote:
Macross 2 has a lot of flashy text to announce the point bonuses you have unlocked, alongside a fast-paced musical jingle.

What kind of other shmups have the same kind of feature? I know the Star Soldier and Bullet Soul games do that with their bonuses, but are there any others? The flashier, the more exciting, and the more dynamic, the better.

When you get a maximum bonus in Space Bomber (10-enemy chain reaction, 100000 points) it's announced with big flashy digits and a little jingle: https://youtu.be/4gFMDg0_Jws?t=36
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:07 pm 

I just started playing Terra Diver (Soukyugurentai) on Sega Saturn and I'm really enjoying it! Of course I suck at it – is there a way to turn on unlimited continues? The option menus are in Japanese which I can't read. If not, I guess I'll have to try to get this to run in MAME instead where I have unlimited virtual quarters ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:07 pm 

Dochartaigh wrote:
I just started playing Terra Diver (Soukyugurentai) on Sega Saturn and I'm really enjoying it! Of course I suck at it – is there a way to turn on unlimited continues? The option menus are in Japanese which I can't read. If not, I guess I'll have to try to get this to run in MAME instead where I have unlimited virtual quarters ;)

I don't know if the related option allows for unlimited credits, but here's a reference translation I concocted for myself a while ago (Otokuyo ver.):

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:19 pm 

Kollision wrote:
Dochartaigh wrote:

I don't know if the related option allows for unlimited credits, but here's a reference translation I concocted for myself a while ago (Otokuyo ver.):

Cool, thanks, I'll try that when I get home. The ones which seem to apply to me are the "Credits" (which has an English number so I'm good there ;) but the more important one (since even if that credit number goes to 99, lol, I might still need some more to beat the game - did I mention i suck? ;) is the "Extends". Is that how many times you can continue? Or I see like "1st" and "2nd" there...so I'll need X amount of points to continue? No way to have unlimited continues on this game? (which would make the Saturn version pointless for me).

Last edited by Dochartaigh on Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:18 pm 

^Extends == Extra lives. It sets how many points you need to earn a 1up. Not remotely familiar with the game, but in a lot of games if you up the credits enough you'll eventually get an option called "freeplay" which is unlimited continues. In some games you earn continues the more time you play, so you might only start out with like 3 continues, but then you'll eventually be able to use more, and with enough time you'll eventually unlock freeplay. IDK how it works in Souky though. As an aside, Maybe I need to change my options, but when I tried playing Souky in MAME the framerate was all over the place, so it was basically unplayable.
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:18 pm 

Bullet Magnet : Vasara defintely counts! I haven't thought about looking into CAVE's flashy digits when cashing in the big bonuses but they can defintely be a valid source of inspiration so I'll look into them as well.

Shepardus : Oh, nice! I have even played a bit of Space Bomber. Wonder why I forgot about its little jingle and flashy digits, there are really encouraging.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:02 pm 

What’s the relationship between Yuri and Kid in Gunhound EX?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:35 am 

Say some idiot were to instigate a full uninstallation of his games whilst trying to fix an issue with the Steam client. He would probably have lost all of his progress in Dariusburst's CS mode when he reinstalled it, aye?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:08 am 

What's the order of release of Triangle Service's "Zeal" series? I know there's Trizeal, Deltazeal, and Exzeal, but what order were they released?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:49 am 

Trizeal, Deltazeal, Exzeal according to Wikipedia.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:38 am 

"DeltaZeal" was originally released as "G-Stream G2020" before Triangle Service even had its current name, so I'm pretty sure it's the oldest of the "Zeal" games - if memory serves XII Stag (or "XIIZeal") came after that, then Trizeal, then ExZeal.

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:36 am 

Understood.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:11 pm 

BulletMagnet wrote:
"DeltaZeal" was originally released as "G-Stream G2020" before Triangle Service even had its current name, so I'm pretty sure it's the oldest of the "Zeal" games - if memory serves XII Stag (or "XIIZeal") came after that, then Trizeal, then ExZeal.

Ah, that would explain why I couldn't find either DeltaZeal or G-Stream G2020 on the Triangle Service wiki page. I stand corrected then.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:38 am 

In MAME's latest version (0.195), the list of games displays by default every single game that exists in MAME's game database, when the older versions and ShmupMAME which I am used to only show those who are available in your folder. In the options menu, you can change the game filter to only display those you do have, but the setting is infuriatingly reset every single time I close the application.
Is there a way to somehow force MAME to remember this setting and act the same way previous versions did, do I have to create a shortcut with an obscure command attached for something so basic, or am I SOL?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:28 pm 

It should automatically write a file called ui.ini that saves those settings. I don't know why it doesn't for you, but you could try creating your own ui.ini in the directory with the contents:
Code:
last_used_filter          Available
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:51 pm 

I checked my folder and the ui.ini file is there.
The weird thing is that even if I replace "Unfiltered" by "Available", MAME completely ignores it, and even replaces it with "Unfiltered" again when I close it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:07 am 

^Maybe try reinstalling it, or something? That seems pretty weird

Here's a question: In non-steam versions of Blue Revolver, how are you supposed to update it? Also has there been any word on the "Black Label" version of it that was supposed to come out this month?
1) Create Scoring System

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:25 am 

There are plenty of boss-focused shmups or boss rush game modes, where the game de-emphasizes or entirely cuts out the stages in favor of its bosses, but what games do the opposite, eschewing bosses in favor of maintaining the flow of the stages? I can't think of much besides caravan modes and early fixed shooters, and the training stage of Raiden DX (yes there's a boss at the end but it's close enough in my book). inb4 "what exactly is a boss"

M.Knight wrote:
I checked my folder and the ui.ini file is there.
The weird thing is that even if I replace "Unfiltered" by "Available", MAME completely ignores it, and even replaces it with "Unfiltered" again when I close it.

Hmm that's weird, I would guess either a bug or an issue with file permissions.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:27 am 

Shepardus wrote:
what games do the opposite, eschewing bosses in favor of maintaining the flow of the stages? [/size]

Like Xevious? Hmm....been years but I recall Power Strike being sort of like that too.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:08 pm 

Mars Matrix tends to have bosses that you can kill pretty quickly, but the stage 5 and final bosses are still big multiphase battles, and stage 4 boss is hard enough that you'll notice it. Under Defeat also has mostly quick kills, but stage 2 and 5 bosses are pretty drawn out affairs. Ditto R-Type, except that the whole of stage 3 is just a boss. Probably not a very helpful list, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

EDIT: depending on what you consider to be a boss, also, maybe some of those aren't great picks. I was thinking end bosses, but I guess some of them have boss like sections in stages (mostly Under Defeat's stage 5, and arguably stage 4 has some of these). Mars Matrix has a stage 4 midboss, but it's a joke unless you're trying to chain through it in which case it's still not very difficult, However the stage has quite a few battleships that could be considered bosses depending on your perspective. Also a lot of battleships in Under Defeat stage 2.
1) Create Scoring System

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:39 pm 

Shepardus wrote:
what games do the opposite, eschewing bosses in favor of maintaining the flow of the stages?

Scramble
Super Cobra
Cardinal Sins, which has only one final boss iirc?
a few indie shmups such as Hypership Out of Control, Pixelosity, MechFish

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:27 am 

Shepardus wrote:
what games do the opposite, eschewing bosses in favor of maintaining the flow of the stages?

Spoiler: show
*COUGH*COUGH*HACK*WHEEZE*
No Smash TV damage sponge bosses to hold back the pace here.

Twin Eagle: Revenge Joe's brother fits the bill, but it also eschews things like quality.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3274 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110  Next