What's the BEST moment in any shmup you've played?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
XoPachi

Re: What's the BEST moment in any shmup you've played?

Post by XoPachi »

Uh... I really like the final stretch of stage 5 in Crimzon Clover on Unlimited just after the big truck. It's a toss up between that and the mothership of Axelay up to it's ending which I thought was really pretty for an STG.
borislaw

Post by borislaw »

guigui wrote:Radiant Silvergun Kotestu (stage 2-1 boss) arrival : warning, fast upward scrolling, wa-chi arms movement meaning "get ready to fight"
A yes very good. The first thing that came to my mind was level 3 midboss from Ikaruga. I played Ikaruga before Radiant, probably why it sticks with me more.

Also, Dodonpachi, stage 3 when the enemy begin to materialize on every square inch of the screen and you have to hustle to take them out asap and simultaneously focus on the perfect moment to take the bigger ships out so that you can cancel the barrage of bullets just as they are about to smother you.

DDP Saidaioujou v 1.5, stage 5 after the mid bosses when your just in hyper mode like the whole time because you're constantly canceling out screen after screenfull of bullets for large stars. That game, truly a masterpiece, its like Beethoven's 9th.

Dangun Feveron. Just controlling a speed 4 ship, how fast it is, zooming around the screen sweeping up disco men while bullets are just whizzing by at incredibly high speeds. The epitome of Cave shooters and why they are amazing.
'twas in times of old / as eagles screamed // and holy streams flowed / from the Heaven-Fells
chempop

Post by chempop »

borislaw wrote: Dangun Feveron. Just controlling a speed 4 ship, how fast it is, zooming around the screen sweeping up disco men while bullets are just whizzing by at incredibly high speeds. The epitome of Cave shooters and why they are amazing.
I agree it's a great game, but it's nothing like cave's others so you can't really call it a good example let alone 'epitome'.
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
Ixmucane2

Post by Ixmucane2 »

chempop wrote:
borislaw wrote: Dangun Feveron. Just controlling a speed 4 ship, how fast it is, zooming around the screen sweeping up disco men while bullets are just whizzing by at incredibly high speeds. The epitome of Cave shooters and why they are amazing.
I agree it's a great game, but it's nothing like cave's others so you can't really call it a good example let alone 'epitome'.
I don't remember Dangun Feveron enough to be familiar with speed level 4, but from the description it seems to feature the most typical Cave game mechanic in a simple and pure form: given practically impossible bullet patterns, stop thinking too much and dodge them by sheer force of will.
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Most Cave games you slow down with the focus button and make tiny, tiny movements to dodge through the dense, screen filling patterns. Dangun's type 4 speed would be very difficult to play in these games, to say the least (the closest thing is Abnormal Reco in Futari).

I'd say it's the most unique game Cave has made, in terms of dodging style. Definitely my favorite.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Here's a few I thought of:

Mentioned in another thread as well, but I really like how you have to do the same pattern multiple times in Mars Matrix and Giga Wing 2 final boss fights.

In Mars Matrix, in particular, the rose pattern fires 3 times (seems to be fixed length, so it doesn't matter how much you shoot it minus the chip points). The first time it's just kind of a basic fast floral thing, but the next two times there's also more pink bullets added in that further constrain your movement. It's super hard to actually execute, and very satisfying once you learn. Plus the rhythm of it is great. Especially with how you have to use the mosquito to get through it, and then wait for the mosquito to regenerate. There's actually a lot of different ways to go about surviving it, but they all have that rhythmic repeating thing going on. Actually just in general stage 6 is really spectacular, especially with that awesome foreboding music.

The final boss in GW2 part that I'm talking about is the second form, and it has the added benefit of being a little longer before repeating, I guess, and more crazy amounts of medals. Also safe spots are fun.

As far as Under Defeat goes, I'm pretty sure that all of the boss death animations are sick. Especially stage 2. Giant battleship + big explosion + sinking into the water afterward = win. Also the dramatic delay between defeating the boss and the explosion. There should really be a thread of best boss death animations.
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

I have to say Mushihimesama stage 3. When I realized they actually did a BEETLESHIP stage... one of the few times my mind was truly blown by some inspired game design!

For purely personal experiences: the first time I got my hands on a Sony PVM, brought it home, put it on its side, and hooked it up for some glorious TATE action. Lots of Ibara, Raiden III, and Under Defeat were played.
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

Playing Radiant Silvergun and getting to the Vectrex looking boss. I was like WHAT!? I can name a lot more wow moments in that game, but that was the first one that came to mind. Also pretty much all the bosses that I saw for the first time in Darius Gaiden.