TRP-STGT Conversation Week 4: Thunder Dragon 2

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
blackoak

Re: TRP-STGT Conversation Week 4: Thunder Dragon 2

Post by blackoak »

I thought this was a fun game. Watching a superplay, I'm not sure if I want to dedicate the memotime to 1cc it, but I'll have to look into NMK's stuff more in the future. Though I will say its always hard to tell whether a game is as sluggish/memo-heavy as you might think in MAME... perhaps on an actual PCB with no lag, reflexes give you much more lenience. Dimahoo certainly feels that way for me.
shmuplations.com - translated game developer interviews and more
support shmuplations on patreon!
qmish

Re: TRP-STGT Conversation Week 4: Thunder Dragon 2

Post by qmish »

It's like one of only threads for this game here in "shmups chat" - all others are either in hi-score or archive sections.

Anyway, i only recently learnt about it, i just noticed how it made it to voting lists for best shmups during previous year vote and it was strange - like i dont see people even mentioning it much, but it had nice number of votes. Some sort of hidden fan favorite.

Ok, so after a quick look at both Thunder Dragon 2 and Thunder Dragon. TD2 makes impression of better game, with straightforward yet fun enough gameplay and catchy music. TD, on another hand, feels like "not that good" but! it has, imho, more interesting style/atmosphere/enemies and some cool weapons also. But balance is really weird.