Super Aleste/Space Megaforce speed issue

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
sula_rob

Super Aleste/Space Megaforce speed issue

Post by sula_rob »

Hello,
Not been on here a while, so long in fact that my account doesn't exist anymore. But nevermind, anyway I recently acquired a PAL SNES version of Super Aleste, a series which I've been meaning to try out for years and have noticed something interesting which has made me curious about both this game and others.

Basically, obviously, a PAL console runs at 50hz, and in the case of Super Aleste, with really rather bad borders. They also run notoriously slower, whether at the classic difference of 17.5% or not. However, many games were optimised to run properly in PAL territories, whether speed wise or border wise (many full screen games still seemed slower and vice versa).

Now, I have a modified SNES with a 50/60hz switch and the territorial lock out disabled to enable me to play all region games and to select the clock speed to either speed up PAL games or, should I so desire, slow down NTSC ones. And it's a US model case with PAL insides, so I can fit the larger US carts in as well. Bit of a cannibal, but the best of both worlds; no stepdown required either. :D

With most PAL games I can enjoy them as NTSC players would have done, full screen and faster, simply by flicking the switch to 60hz. But with games that were optimised, one of two things happens. With Super Mario Kart and Pilotwings for example, it goes crazy and flickery and generally doesn't work properly, for whatever reason. However, with some games, such as Super Tennis, it runs at the optimised NTSC-equivalent speed, plus more as it's designed to run at 50hz, which makes the PAL version the best version to have in that sense.

Super Aleste appears to be the same, but when running in 50hz its borders are so bad that I question whether they would have optimised its speed and then not bothered with the screen size. But it's so staggeringly quick (and I know it's renowned for being a fast shmup but this is REALLY fast, and much faster than it runs in 50hz) that I can only assume I'm experiencing an accelerated game. OR is this how fast Space Megaforce/ the Jap version is already? Has anyone else experienced this and what are your thoughts? It certainly adds to the excitement and challenge, although a tiny bit of occasional slowdown is noticeable now and then. Does anyone know of any other games or systems where this happens, as most systems (especially with shmups on) are either import or display a PAL60 signal anyway.

Cheers

Rob
Rob
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

I own both the JPN Super Aleste and the PAL one, so maybe I can answer you. I also happen to own a JPN Super Famicom and a PAL one, without switch of sort (don't ask).

The only thing I can confirm is that yes, indeed the JPN version runs a lot faster than the PAL one. The PAL version is "optimized" unlike early NES carts: in fact at least the music does play at correct speed: however, it's a much slower port. Same thing with Dracula XX. I'm judging the two versions on their respective hardware.

btw, the ending sequences are different and I sorta like the PAL one.
X - P - B
sula_rob

Post by sula_rob »

Hmmm, interesting; I might hunt down a Jap copy or a copy of Space Megaforce as well, purely for research purposes you understand, as it's a bit too crazy on 60hz PAL and disappointingly squashed on 50hz.

If you stick the speed of the ship up be pressing Select, to the highest level, it is just unplayably ridiculous, but kind of amusing as well.
Rob
Turrican

Re: Super Aleste/Space Megaforce speed issue

Post by Turrican »

sula_rob wrote:Super Aleste appears to be the same, but when running in 50hz its borders are so bad that I question whether they would have optimised its speed and then not bothered with the screen size. But it's so staggeringly quick (and I know it's renowned for being a fast shmup but this is REALLY fast, and much faster than it runs in 50hz) that I can only assume I'm experiencing an accelerated game. OR is this how fast Space Megaforce/ the Jap version is already? Has anyone else experienced this and what are your thoughts?
Yes, I had the exact same feel when I played the JPN one for the first time. I said to myself "Impossible! There must be some mistake" (© Gradius V).

I think Compile games do that effect. Here's Another example. As you may know, Power Strike II for SMS is an european only release (maybe brazilian too). When you play it in 50 hz, the borders are huge. So I thought "it's clearly a case of non-optimization".
I switched on 60 hz, and the game plays at full screen. However, the music is horribly faster and the gameplay is completely screwed by impossible speed. So fast, I came to conclusion I was wrong, and the game does run correctly at 50 hz.
So in the end, the game looks disappointing in both ways: it should be played (and listened) at 50hz, but you'll suffer from borders.
X - P - B