Raiden Fighters Jet- Let's Review

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
cigsthecat

Raiden Fighters Jet- Let's Review

Post by cigsthecat »

What versions is this game available in and what are the differences? I know RF 1 + 2 were available in cart +motherboard form- does this apply to Jet as well or was it always single PCB? Also, what are the differences between RFJ 2000 and the original version? I seem to remember it has worse sound or something.

Finally, what are the differences between the Jap and US versions?

Whew, that's a lot- hopefully someone remembers.
elbarto

Post by elbarto »

It's definitely available as SPI cart & motherboard, as that's the version I've got.. :wink:

IIRC the "2000" versions have worse sound quality, yes.
"I LIKE SHOTS BULLITS AT BAD MAN"
Venom

Post by Venom »

The US version has 2 loops in the normal game, you only have to face the true boss at the end of the 2nd loop. Jp version is one loop (2nd is selected as 'special' on its own), and you face the true boss at the end, unless you turn on the option that makes you restart the last level if you continue, then the true boss won't appear at the end if you restart the final level (phase 2 I mean).
Fascination...
IlMrm

Post by IlMrm »

Hey cigs, that RFJ machine you saw me play at SF State? That machine did this:

I lost all my lives at the hovercraft at Phase 2, so I decided to continue to see what's gonna happen. I went on to fight the big airplane, followed by the missile. After that, the game went back to stage one, but with suicide bullets, more/faster bullets, etc.

So I am not sure which version that machine is.
Venom

Post by Venom »

It's likely that I'm wrong and you do get to face the true boss at the end of each round on the US machine. On the Jp copy I had after you complete the first loop that is it. Sorry for the misinformation.
Fascination...
cigsthecat

Post by cigsthecat »

Thanks guys for the info. Looks like I've got a decision to make.

One last thing- any actual gameplay differences anyone knows of between the US/ Jap versions besides the number of loops?
IlMrm

Post by IlMrm »

No problem at all Venom. I remember you kicking ass with the Ixion.

Cigs, are you gonna start a score thread again for this great game?
cigsthecat

Post by cigsthecat »

Well, I was going to wait until I get the PCB so I can actually make some progress up the chart this time. If you want to take it though be my guest.