HG101 Article: Aero Fighters/Sonic Wings series

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Op Intensify

HG101 Article: Aero Fighters/Sonic Wings series

Post by Op Intensify »

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/aerofighters/aero1.htm

Meticulously detailed breakdown of the entire series, its characters and secrets. Good read.

I feel sad having never known about this until now:

I also never knew that Aero Fighters Assault was developed by the Pilotwings 64 team. Actually not that surprising, they play in a similar fashion. I don't get why he says the game's so hard, though. Standard enemies are pushovers, and you can chew through bosses in an instant with Ninja Beam.

Also, Volk in Sonic Wings Limited/Special was clearly the inspiration for Under Defeat.

Admittedly I'm not too fond of the games after the first one. Video System was clearly floundering after Shin Nakamura and the rest of the Psikyo team left. The move to Neo-Geo and a vertizontal orientation was rather ill-advised. Level design in AF2 and 3, especially 3, just kinda isn't there.
Obiwanshinobi

Re: HG101 Article: Aero Fighters/Sonic Wings series

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Play Sonic Wings Special on Hard (even the first boss puts quite a fight against IL-102 on Hard). The same IL-102 fully powered up can take down the Dover's boss almost immediately. The NY's boss lasts longer against IL-102, but is just as defenseless. IL-102's point blanking is wicked.
Sonic Wings Special remains my only reason to put the TV on its side.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Op Intensify

Post by Op Intensify »

Sonic Wings Special remains my only reason to put the TV on its side.
Unless you've got a very small shmup collection I doubt that.

That's my problem with SW Special, there's too many ships that break the game. Volk's MiG 3 and the IL-102 are just too powerful, while Lord River's AV-SB can turn invincible whenever you want with no limitations on use. Also, the graphics are just really underwhelming considering the hardware they're on. For the most part, the game's an improvement from AF1 and 2 (which it's a remix/upgrade of), but it's definitely less balanced.
Last edited by Op Intensify on Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

IL-102 isn't too powerful on Hard. I find Paris particulary menacing if played as one of later stages. IL-102's point blanking does not render it invincible against kamikaze attacks (those can be rather speedy on Hard).
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Sonic Wings Special is a game I'd really like to have for my Saturn collection. Would it be worth having?

It's a shame, really, that Psikyo's (and Video-System's) import games don't have their English scripts, because a lot of the charm of these games come from lines such as FRY TO THE RAIN FOREST AND SAVE THE NATURE.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

EmperorIng wrote:Sonic Wings Special is a game I'd really like to have for my Saturn collection. Would it be worth having?
Absolutely.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

oh man, those HG101 rebels, tatin' them game boxes
Op Intensify wrote:Meticulously detailed breakdown of the entire series, its characters and secrets.
But you'll notice they couldn't be bothered to mention how the games play for score...that's disappointing (but typical, I think). What's up with them not realizing that Chaika and Pooshika's upgraded subshot (NOT their normal shot, that's written badly) is firing onion domes as found on traditional Russian kremlins and many churches?

2 and 3 would be great games if only they weren't so random (stage order, bonus stages, and so on). I think that in both games, getting the wrong bonus stage puts you out of the running for submitting a competitive score.

Where are they getting their information that the Special PCB was only released in Taiwain?

Also, CAPTAIN fucking WAFFLE. Why does my Spinal Breakers board have to be broken? ;_;
Op Intensify

Post by Op Intensify »

I'm pretty sure that AF2 gives you the same two bonus stages every time. There's three different final stages, though your score decides which one you get, so that wouldn't invalidate you from competition.

Great to know that Video System acknowledged Spinal Breakers at a later point. The game isn't too remarkable but it definitely has a bizarre and nightmarish storyline, and some classic Engrish. I still have no idea what's up with the ending where you shoot some unknown guy through a window.
Where are they getting their information that the Special PCB was only released in Taiwain?
The Sonic Wings Special PCB was released in Japan, but the only known version of the game with the Aero Fighters name was Taiwanese.
ChainsawGuitarSP

Post by ChainsawGuitarSP »

I like this article. The guy just tells these games as they are, no pointless bias to certain entries and no complaints about shit that isn't really that big a deal. (The only problem being that he's somehow unable to differentiate parody from homage...) I wish a select few other STG articles would be re-written by this guy.
Innovations in Recreational Electronic Media
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

ChainsawGuitarSP wrote:I like this article. The guy just tells these games as they are, no pointless bias to certain entries and no complaints about shit that isn't really that big a deal.
In my view, telling it as it is might include

- Discussing the scoring systems
- Discussing ship characteristics besides the pretty graphics (a typical HG101 failing is throwing in all the romaji possible and talking about "omake" stuff while leaving the core of the game untouched, which is absolutely true here, you see "danmaku" but not even the basics of each ship type, besides just a general mention that yes, AF3 has charge shots now)
- Discussing fun things in the stages
- Anything about boss strategies (like the table "ghost" enemy from AF2, whose patterns you can often literally sit through as the bullets just graze your ship)
- Actually mentioning Spanky / Whity by name (holy crap there's a dolphin pilot this game is too crazy man)

Maybe that's expecting too much for such a short article. So, given the lack of space, what's most important to write about in an HG101 article?

Name-dropping:
While Aero Fighters' comedy is very prevalent, it is not as overt as Parodius or other similar games, as there are still plenty of serious moments too.
Surprise! Asia is part of Japan
In Japan, this game was known as Sonic Wings, however, when released worldwide, the game was renamed to Aero Fighters, which stuck for most worldwide releases throughout the series.
Age is a function of how many bullets
Aero Fighters Special feels a lot more contemporary than the previous entries. There are more bullets here than any other entry in the series and some elements of danmaku, though not enough to keep it from feeling old school.
Here is an excellent rank control system
The branching gets an overhaul too, as some levels are different depending on your performance and score. One game lasts eight levels, but they all come from a large pool of over fifteen. You end up getting harder levels and tougher bosses if you're doing well, likewise, if you end up with a bad score and use more than a few credits, the game pulls its punches and sends you to easy levels. This simple, but very well implemented rank system adds a lot to the already high replay value.
I CAN'T GET OVER HOW CRAZY THIS SERIES IS
The storyline, characters, setting and tone, in general, get a lot sillier and wackier in Aero Fighters 2, and stays with it for the rest of the series. Before, the silliest it really got was the giant monkey that served as a hidden final boss
Like football (which people in the US of A call "soccer"), we root from the sidelines (note: the "rival countries" thing will confuse the hell out of readers who haven't played the series, and still doesn't really make sense even if you know what they mean)
Aero Fighters 2 seems to drop the "rival countries" idea from the first game, allowing players to pick any combination of characters they want, and sending them through the same stages in the same order regardless of character selection
The New York level [in AF2] has not particularly aged well, as you can not only blow up the World Trade Center, but you can also find bonus points lying inside the smoking remains. You can also find Rabio from Video System's other shooter Rabio Lepus appearing as a carnival ride at Coney Island.
The [AF3] boss theme, is memorable, and not in a good way. It is a very short song and it features vocals, mostly of a man screaming and gargling continuously.
Translated from dipshit, those quotes might read:

A trademark of the Aero Fighters series is awesome destructible levels!

AF3's boss music might not be a fan favorite like "Valkyrie: She Likes Gabber" from Zed Blade, but it tells you awesome things, is awesome, and you certainly won't hear any gargling noises unless you've packed cotton and gerbils into your ears! Possibly the best-performed lyrics in video game music up to Omega Boost's warbling robot singer in "Back to the 1946."

I think the absolutely worst thing is not mentioning the awesome background stuff, like the Batmobile and Ecto-1 parked next to each other at the beginning of AF2.

The best thing is that there is a lot of good information, although the stuff that is obviously wrong detracts from my ability to believe any of it without checking, and the article is hard to follow at times. This is good information, though (well, if it's true, but I assume it is):
The team for Aero Fighters left Video System shortly after it was announced that the sequel would be exclusive to Neo Geo hardware.
It's nice to see something in the article that isn't wrong, irrelevant, or an uncredited borrowing from the Sonic Wings wiki, but from Wikipedia instead.
ChainsawGuitarSP

Post by ChainsawGuitarSP »

Sure thing.
Innovations in Recreational Electronic Media
Xexyz

Post by Xexyz »

Awful lot of irate ITT...
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

So is Sonic Wings Special sort of a revamp of AF2?

Or is it a bit more?

Because things like different stages and final levels, etc. Sound pretty cool, especially for one of the more relatively cheap games on the Saturn shmup library.

Seriously, Psikyo games (shut up I'm kinda-sorta counting this as one) are surprisingly cheap given the rest of the shooter library on the system. Not as cheap as some of Taito's games, but so few were localized - you know the story, etc. etc.

I still need to pick up Gunbird. Love that game.
Op Intensify

Post by Op Intensify »

So is Sonic Wings Special sort of a revamp of AF2?

Or is it a bit more?
It's AF1 + AF2 + remixing + some new stuff.

I would say AF1 is the only game of the series that truly counts as Psikyo, since Shin Nakamura and crew worked on it.

Gunbird 1 is too meat & potatoes for me. GB 2 has close range attacks, coin chaining, gemheads, more characters, and an incredible (but fair) difficulty level.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

EmperorIng wrote:So is Sonic Wings Special sort of a revamp of AF2?
I don't know about non-MAME versions, but the version in MAME looks to have most background art elements removed.

As I mention above, the scoring system is totally different - sort of; instead of snagging items as soon as they appear, in SWS you must wait as long as possible to maximize points (probably excluding powerup and bomb items, which probably hit a maximum 4000 point value, unless there are 10K full powerup items in this game, well before they finish cycling).
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Ed Oscuro wrote:
EmperorIng wrote:So is Sonic Wings Special sort of a revamp of AF2?
I don't know about non-MAME versions, but the version in MAME looks to have most background art elements removed.
I think you mean Sonic Wings Limited, not Special. I don't think Special ever got an arcade release, vice versa, Limited was never ported to any home platform.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Yes I do, thanks for catching that.
Meteor-GER

Post by Meteor-GER »

Is there a difference in the difficult level between Aero Fighers [SNES] and Sonic Wings [SFC] ?
It seems that Sonic Wings is a little bit harder (faster bullets) than Aero Fighters? Both on level normal.
I can beat Aero Fighters but not Sonic Wings.
CanbeeShinobi2

Post by CanbeeShinobi2 »

BIL

Post by BIL »

So is the OP! Image He did a flip when Milestone Prez got arrested for making his STGs too hard. :sad: Let's say a sutra for him and guide him to the land of Buddha, so he can be reincarnated as an alt. ( :wink:)
STGAlmond

Post by STGAlmond »

CanbeeShinobi2 wrote:
Link is dead!

https://hg101.kontek.net/aerofighters/aero1.htm

All old articles on moved to a different URL.