Raizing Interview - Sotoyama Yuuichi and Yokoo Kenichi

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Skykid

Re: Raizing Interview - Sotoyama Yuuichi and Yokoo Kenichi

Post by Skykid »

Every time I finish these interviews I instantly reach for the pad and fire up Mame to play the games discussed. So much fun, thanks again Blackoak.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

Nice! How cool that one of the developers put Zanac in his top three games all-time? I'm on board with that.
blackoak

Post by blackoak »

Sorry for the old bump... while I was scanning some other articles from Shooting Gameside, I noticed I had overlooked one of the development materials for Mahou Daisakusen. Its a design draft for the background/story, with a cool "height comparison" sketch of the characters. I've appended it to the article and pasted it below for convenience:
Mahou Daisakusen Design Draft

[[in picture, top line points to Tsumujimaru's height, and the one below it points to the height of the player's ship]]

The Return of Magic
The world takes place far into the future of Earth, which one can tell as soon as the town of Shibuya appears on screen. For some reason the majority of the human population is gone, and the remaining humans just barely manage to continue civilization. Having come close to the brink of extinction, their existence is further threatened by the meteorites that fell from the sky...

However, those meteorites were pure magical crystals (mana). With them, magic that had been dormant on the Earth for thousands of years returns, and the surviving humans begin a new life.

The Goblins
Most of the non-human species are revived along with the return of magic (mana), or they come from the spirit world. There are also robots from the old world that have become living (?) and self-evolved. But they don't have any memories of their own origins.

About the magical player ships
At the beginning, the ships were operated directly through magic (mana), but they are later combined with engine technology from the old world. Also, aside from this, the humans are developing a prototype internal combustion engine that doesn't require magic (mana) to operate.

...the above does not directly appear in the game at all, so it is fine to ignore the circumstances of the story.
shmuplations.com - translated game developer interviews and more
support shmuplations on patreon!
KAI

Post by KAI »

Gigantic Mincho font, i knew they get that from Gainax.
Well done blackoak.
Bee Cool

Post by Bee Cool »

We really just need a sticky of all your translations on a single thread, it's a shame they leave the front page.
RIP in peaces mjclark and Estebang
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Bee Cool wrote:We really just need a sticky of all your translations on a single thread, it's a shame they leave the front page.
+1
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
AntiFritz

Post by AntiFritz »

RegalSin wrote:Rape is very shakey subject. It falls into the catergory of Womens right, Homosexaul rights, and Black rights.