Kizuna Doponypachi - My Little Pegasus

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
chum

Re: Kizuna Doponypachi - My Little Pegasus

Post by chum »

I 2-ALLed this game yesterday but when i started the game again today, my score had vanished... what's up with that?
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

I like the comments.

"Another Touhou clone?"

Not surprised at all, of course. Oh well, I guess if it gets more people into Ketsui & DoDonPachi that's good, but somehow I doubt that's going to happen here.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Giest118 wrote:
Blackbird wrote:1) Make the game install to a folder. It spews files all over my desktop whenever I run it.
And then it removes them when the game ends. I could make the game install to a folder, but I feel like that wouldn't actually... affect anything. I guess if more people request that?
Blackbird wrote:2) Allow me to configure the controls.
No.

Not because I disagree that it would be a good idea, but because Game Maker actually makes it unreasonable to do that.

Code: Select all

keyboard_set_map(key1, key2)
Have a piece of code check for a pressed key, and feed the keycode [from say, keyboard_key or keyboard_lastkey] to that.
Or, even better, have your keyboard_check() use variables that store the key constants from keyboard_key/lastkey. You'd have an options screen that would ask for a key, and set a global with what key was pressed, and use that global when checking for stuff.

Joystick stuff isn't as easy [you need to scan through all the buttons manually, probably with a loop that does a joystick_check() for every button in joystick_buttons()], and set a variable for what each button is set to.

Not unreasonable, just bloody annoying. Unless you did your key events with DnD actions, in which case it's a bit more effort.

Also, I'll play this game when I'm on my Windows machine, GM games run like ass in Wine [they work, just really slowly].
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
shmuppyLove

Post by shmuppyLove »

BareknuckleRoo wrote:I like the comments.

"Another Touhou clone?"

Not surprised at all, of course. Oh well, I guess if it gets more people into Ketsui & DoDonPachi that's good, but somehow I doubt that's going to happen here.
Or it might just get more people into MLP.

:lol:
chum

Post by chum »

oh well I went ahead and beat it again, this time with a slightly higher score, and 3 lives in stock. no "true" last boss, though, can't score 75m in the first loop... even though i try to chain.

there are a few dumb patterns in there (especially the one with diagonal walls of bullets and other bullets hiding behind those, randomly getting in your way)

also 2-5 "false" (?) last boss, blue bullets on blue background...
Giest118

Post by Giest118 »

So, I just posted up a new version of My Little Pegasus. All it does is deparate the game into its exe and the music files. That is, the game has its own folder.

If you're one of the people who wanted the game to stop spewing files all over the place, your wish has come true. :V

Also if you want your high scores to carry over to the new version, just paste the mlpsav.dat that the game was using into the new folder.
Last edited by Giest118 on Fri May 04, 2012 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blackbird

Post by Blackbird »

Sweet!
shmuppyLove

Post by shmuppyLove »

Eheheh this is too much fun.

BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Giest118 wrote: I'll have a look at GMOSSE later when I'm at my desktop computer if indeed it does make it doable. Question though: I've never used GMOSSE. Your signature says it's a Game Maker shmup engine, but I don't really know what that entails. Is it just a series of scripts that make certain things easier?
I really do need to get a better explanation of it. Think of it as a .GMK game template. As it is it's a baseline standard shmup with all the functionality that one would need - screen rotation, joystick button configuration, etc. What you're looking for in this case would indeed be a simple script - scr_input() which is called from a persistent object that does nothing else but call it at the beginning of every step. The variables used in the script should be fairly straightforward to figure out, putting your actions within:

Code: Select all

if global.button1 = 1 
    {
    // do stuff
    }
and scr_input() determines that variable by the aforementioned keyboard_check() and the joystick functions. The INI file stores which buttons are used for the joystick check of course.
Blackbird

Post by Blackbird »

Love the comments. Looks like we've got all the usual suspects, lol.

Hardest boss ever video: Check.
Looks like a Touhou ripoff: check.
I suck at bullet hell: Check.

The only one we haven't gotten yet is a "Dodge the rain!" comment =).

I think my personal favorite was: "It's like playing Starcraft 2 against a Korean dude!"
Jaimers

Post by Jaimers »

That final boss rush is murder.
Giest118

Post by Giest118 »

Jaimers wrote:Image

That final boss rush is murder.
Jesus christ bro, your score is badass. You might actually hit a billion when you clear the game.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Ponies don't buck around.
Doesn't Fluttershy (the yellow one) also reduce a dragon to tears in one episode? I mean, not like I watch it or anything..
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
Illyrian

Post by Illyrian »

BuckoA51 wrote:
Doesn't Fluttershy (the yellow one) also reduce a dragon to tears in one episode? I mean, not like I watch it or anything..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEG-bWp-YY8
Skip to 18:34
www.twitch.tv/illyriangaming
<RegalSin> we are supporting each other on our crotches
Blackbird

Post by Blackbird »

BuckoA51 wrote:Doesn't Fluttershy (the yellow one) also reduce a dragon to tears in one episode? I mean, not like I watch it or anything..
It's canon.
Fu

Post by Fu »

BPzeBanshee wrote:Controls for keyboard stuff isn't the easiest thing in the world but THERE ARE examples out there for such
Use this and you're done : http://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php?topic=219.0
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Fu wrote:
BPzeBanshee wrote:Controls for keyboard stuff isn't the easiest thing in the world but THERE ARE examples out there for such
Use this and you're done : http://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php?topic=219.0
If that's what I think it is it's no different from Xpadder but for keyboard keys, which is more of a bypass/quick fix than an actual solution by the programmer - the latter is good practice for shmup developers which was my main point. I've yet to bother to figure out a good way to do this from within Game Maker myself but null1024 pretty much nailed it on the hammer so I'll use his method.
matrigs

Post by matrigs »

Illyrian wrote:
BuckoA51 wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEG-bWp-YY8
Skip to 18:34
OT:

you can skip to a certain point in youtube movies using "&t="

for example :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEG-bWp-YY8&t=18m34s

just fyi
Blackbird

Post by Blackbird »

That is amazingly useful. I'll keep that in mind.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

You also get it from right-clicking and finding the 'Copy at current time' link option I believe. That's how I've been doing it recently.
MrSoup678

Post by MrSoup678 »

What can be summarized about TLB:
- is a giant floating eye? - check
- is a giant black mist from outside? - check
- uses mind control/possesion for its goals? -check
- fakes RD or Flutters's victory -checkerino

Wait, something about how this boss acts is familiar... HELLO ZERO & DARK MATTER FROM KIRBY, WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN MLP SHMUP?!

Sorry for necro btw.