Official Batrider page; anyone care to translate?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Skyknight

Official Batrider page; anyone care to translate?

Post by Skyknight »

http://www.8ing.net/prd/batrider/index.html

Mostly I'm interested in the characters' personal stories (Shorty in particular; she seems to be THE main Police Team member the chief had hoped would die)--the GiganTech leaders included--and the detailed timeline to 2019. This is probably too much for BabelFish to conjure up anything even remotely followable.

(Note: Sobut's pilot is four-armed as well?!)
shmuppyLove

Re: Official Batrider page; anyone care to translate?

Post by shmuppyLove »

BATORAIDA
Shorty (22)
Contents: Crime and drug trafficking mediation (false accusation)

Faster if it comes out for the hand is strong I will Hayakere is small, but also go ballistic, called this way. But to know that holding a distrust that was caught D.D some colleagues, he was subjected to trap in various investigate, be sent to prison accused of drug trafficking was multiplied by Ni will Onajiyo.
Scout to be "ZERO COP" a place without really understanding why she has such a good boy in prison, had been causing a stir treat a variety of problem child in the house.

Dangerous woman with the power of fifth place in the United States Martial Arts Association planted large short-tempered anyway. (Not that benevolent man, such as trying to play with her) hobby usually have to be intelligent but computer chess opponent. But not the longer I never even D.D and Juji same team, but that does not seem forced to turn to the behavior of her most pressing role Ru.
Yeah, pretty mangled.
Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

Would love to see a translation of this.
We need a Violent City tourist brochure! :mrgreen:
moozooh wrote:I think that approach won't get you far in Garegga.
Image Image
dannnnn

Post by dannnnn »

WELCOME TO VIOLENT CITY. That's all the storyline you need.
Observer wrote:WELCOME TO VIOLENT CITY. That's all the storyline I need.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

dannnnn wrote:WELCOME TO VIOLENT CITY. That's all the storyline you need.
Damn you, I can survive this. Excerrent!
Skyknight

Post by Skyknight »

I fed parts of the pages to BabelFish, mostly to see if there was anything I could extract for TVTropes (visit the Armed Police Batrider page there to see the latest fruits)--player-characters page not harvested yet. I know there's nuance that I'd have missed, but...whew.

--Envy happens to be Gigayama's Dragon (his capture and arrest are what kick off st. 6). Notice that long coat of his on the Enemy page? It's hiding the fact that he's been so heavily altered by cyberneticization (80%!) that his torso no longer looks even REMOTELY human.
--The world in which Zenovia was built suffered a terrible disaster in the form of the Man Kreis (well, that's how BabelFish rendered it) nuclear power plant meltdown. The main problem was that the ash released rode the jet stream to MONGOLIA...The death toll ultimately gets into the hundreds of millions.
--Gigayama Tiger, GiganTech's CEO, was trying to broach research into HEAVY cyberneticization. Think Envy no longer being that much of an outlier. LOTS of popular and political resistance, though, religious and otherwise. Of course, with Zenovia, Gigayama had his own pool of test subjects...No wonder GiganTech was trying to get Zenovia out of the United States' jurisdiction.
--Those green vials in st. 7? You're not seeing things--Shorty's commentary and Discharge's description establish that the first bunch CONTAIN HUMAN BEINGS! The vials extract energy from humans, and it seems THIS is the only kind of power that could properly sustain vessels on the order of Discharge (now what Gigayama is doing using one as Discharge's cockpit, I have no idea). The guns on Discharge's back are probably inside charged vials so they can get a direct current.
Deets

Post by Deets »

Whoa that is a lot of backstory for a game that I was totally okay with... having no backstory. I'll think about doing a translation, sure. If someone else wants it, though, feel free to speak up.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

I'd certainly like to hear more. This looks excellent.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Yes, it'd nice to have a properly English translation of APB's backstory. Sounds quite intricate and very detailed given the numerous characters presented in the actual game itself.

It'd be interesting if an one-off OVA of APB was created to see all the interesting characters and side-characters come to life -- it'd surely have quite a bit of cool heavy armored mecha suits & weaponry galore indeed. Major props if it was done all by hand like how traditional anime OVAs used be done back in the '80s/'90s. Would 8ing be cool/okay with such a OVA pet project of it's APB arcade game?

Even the backstory to Success' Psyvariar Medium Unit (circa March of 2000) had a very detailed glossary to further explain the technology behind the pilots controlling the ships to bring down the GUIS arch-enemy once & for all.

Not to mention the cool Shooting Alley article (circa 2000) on APB as featured in the Gamefan indie arcade/video game magazine was a cool read to peruse at your leisure (with some screenshots borrowed from Raizing/8ing's APB site indeed).

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

Bumpa-bumpa.
Really want a translation of this.

Rancor?
GP?
NTSC-J?
Image Image
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

I should have some time next week to translate the story.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Thanks again NTSC-J. :D
Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

Excellent! :mrgreen:
Image Image
BIL

Post by BIL »

Mahrverous!
Skyknight

Post by Skyknight »

It's worth noting that there seems to have been one or two translations of the upper part of the first story page (i.e. the page with the timeline, but not the timeline itself). However, I have a hunch those translations actually came from the arcade flyer.
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

Yea, there's this which isn't the best translation in the world, but it does the job.

I could translate the timeline part instead, if you guys like.
Skyknight

Post by Skyknight »

That's what I was thinking of, regarding the already-translation.

Might as well make the timeline first priority, if that's what you wish to do.
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

I translated the timeline:

Zenovia Timeline 1992-2020

1992: “Sai Electronics” is established in California. The company president is Gus Elron (28).

1994: Congress discusses the increasing crime rate among younger people and the increase in the brutality of the crimes.

1996: Smith Brollen, professor at MIT, presents his thesis “Artificial Skeletons and Their Useful Applications.”

1998: At the University of Tsukuba, a highly stable bipedal robot is successfully constructed.

That same year: The United States government launches “Project Salinger” in order to combat the increase in slums due to overpopulation and the rise in unemployment. As a first measure, construction begins of an artificial island between Manhattan and Staten Island.

1999: England’s nuclear power plant "Mancrise" suffers a meltdown. Large amounts of radioactive ash falls over Europe. Ash caught up in the jet stream rains down on regions stretching from the continent of North America to Mongolia. 8000 die in the worst tragedy since WWII.

2002: Japan’s Gigayama Industries absorbs Sai Electronics. The head office moves to Tokyo and changes its name to Gigantech Cybertron.

2003: In order to get out of a 5-year-long, world-wide economic depression, the “Industrial Preferential Treatment Plan” is established in Japan. The capital moves to the city of Umatsuki in Shizuoka prefecture. The surrounding 8 cities become New Tokyo. Old Tokyo-to (currently Tokyo-fu) is protected under business law because it belongs to a region with a group of corporations.

That same year: The Arab Nations announce completion and official adoption of the “Sura Azubia”, the world’s first functional bipedal weapon.

2004: Two kilometers south of New York, the artificial island of “Zenobia” is completed.

2006: Gigantech Cybertron successfully creates cyborg technology for special purposes and announced that it is ready to serve an endless range of capabilities. These experiments where the human body is altered are met with strong protests from religious groups.

That same year:
Corporate law is enacted in the states of Michigan, New York, and New Jersey.

2009: GC Co. moves its head offices to Zenovia Island, purchasing 40% of it, and leading to a temporary boom in people moving to the island (known as the New New York Boom).

2010: 70% of the clean-up following the Mancrise power plant disaster (known as the Mancrise Crash) is completed. Census reports announce that deaths due to the disaster reached 20,000 with estimates of those affected by the disaster at 160,000,000.

That same year: The world’ first high altitude platform “Columbia” has a successful maiden launch.

2015: A large-scale revolt breaks out in Manhattan’s Battery Park. 40 people are killed.

2016: A decentralized police force is established in Los Angeles, Detroit, and New York as part of a private trust (called Lorentz’ Law). Each area has 3-5 medium-sized police forces established.

2017: 25% of Zenovia is now a ghetto. Less than 1/3rd of the population is officially registered.

That same year: GC Co. owns 80% of the island of Zenovia. There are no visible plans towards tackling illegal aliens or criminals.

That same year:
The United States government, concerned over the large increase in criminal activity, forms a special task force of criminals from the Helter Special Penitentiary (also known as Death Wish Penitentiary). The selected criminals are offered a reduced sentence in exchange for combating crime. An experimental group of 9 are chosen.

2018: Repeated, small scale-scale terrorist activity in Manhattan. At the same time, GC Co. claims complete ownership of Zenovia, which the government publically recognizes.

2019: The United States government finds evidence that GC Co. created weapons and cyborgs for illegal immigrants and criminals.

That same year: The government decides in secret to destroy GC Co. The “Zero Cop” is called into action.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

lol, there are some broken pop culture references in there
Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

Cool!
Image Image
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Excellent!
MathU

Post by MathU »

So... Is Shorty an actual cop or a criminal along with the rest?
Of course, that's just an opinion.
Always seeking netplay fans to play emulated arcade games with.
jepjepjep

Post by jepjepjep »

Marvelous!
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

MathU wrote:So... Is Shorty an actual cop or a criminal along with the rest?
Zero Cop sounds rather like Zero Coke.
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

MathU wrote:So... Is Shorty an actual cop or a criminal along with the rest?
She was a cop who got framed for drug trafficking.
spineshark

Post by spineshark »

That explains a lot about her and that team's ending.
Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

Sooo... when can we expect the character section of the site/character endings translated? :)
Image Image
Skyknight

Post by Skyknight »

Probably depends in part whether you want the character and enemy pages each translated at once, or one character at a time. (I'm recommending the latter.)
blackoak

Post by blackoak »

I've been on a big Batrider kick lately, and just finished reading all the stuff on that page. Its very colorful and funny, especially the stage narrations by the characters. I'll translate this next week if it isnt already in progress! Now, back to special course...
shmuplations.com - translated game developer interviews and more
support shmuplations on patreon!
DMC

Post by DMC »

blackoak wrote:I've been on a big Batrider kick lately, and just finished reading all the stuff on that page. Its very colorful and funny, especially the stage narrations by the characters. I'll translate this next week if it isnt already in progress!
Best STG-related news of 2012. :D