Older Compile games

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BrianC

Older Compile games

Post by BrianC »

I read some info about Compile at this one French site and I was very surprised by some of the info. They ported the SEGA Master System R-Type and made the awesome enhanced versions of Xevious for PCE and MSX? Was Blazing Lazers only designed by Compile or did Hudson co-design it? I noticed some Star Solider like elements in it, though the majority of the game design is pure Compile.

I played some early Compile games before they were called Compile. E.I. is like an early prototype Zanac, though I like Zanac a lot better. What is your opinion of Compile's early games?
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Re: Older Compile games

Post by Thunder Force »

BrianC wrote:the awesome enhanced versions of Xevious for PCE and MSX
Interesting, what kind of enhancements?
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

The PCE and MSX versions of Xevious both have an excellent port of the arcade and an enhanced version. The MSX one has different ships to choose from and power ups that are earned by bombing the big square things. The PCE one is similar, but doesn't have ship selection and the power ups are earned by shooting these bird like creatures. The power ups do stuff like enhance your firepower and make the bombing area wider. There seems to be some new Zanac inspired enemies in the game too.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Yeah, that is an awesome site! Didn't know Compile had a hand in PCE Xevious; I'll have to give that one a go on Magic Engine.

I think Compile's early shmups are excellent, especially Gulkave-an awesome early hori. You can get it in SG-1000 card form, or on the MSX.
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Well, the arcade mode is pretty much the same as the arcade original, but the other mode is heavily Compile-influenced- especially the first boss which is a large base, the center of which you have to bomb several times to beat.
Farewell to hollow words
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Indeed. The Great Moo Nitani is here:

http://popup7.tok2.com/home2/xevious/pce/f_11.gif

and here: http://popup7.tok2.com/home2/xevious/ms ... g/end3.gif

So, Compile (or "pilecom", LOL) is behind both Fardraut episodes, the PCE one and the MSX2 one.

I didn't find such an evidence in SMS R-Type, though... Where are the proofs? :P
X - P - B
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Turrican wrote:Indeed. The Great Moo Nitani is here:

http://popup7.tok2.com/home2/xevious/pce/f_11.gif

and here: http://popup7.tok2.com/home2/xevious/ms ... g/end3.gif

So, Compile (or "pilecom", LOL) is behind both Fardraut episodes, the PCE one and the MSX2 one.

I didn't find such an evidence in SMS R-Type, though... Where are the proofs? :P
I don't know. I just read it on this French Compile site that has been translated into English. The translation is a bit iffy, so I couldn't understand everything on the site. The site is a very nice one, though.

It's awesome how Compile designed those versions of Xevious! I'm still wondering what the deal is with Guardian Legend and Blazing Lazers. The title screens of both games suggest they may have been co-designed with Irem (Guardian Legend) and Hudson (Blazing Lazers).

I really enjoyed what I played of Final Justice. I think it was one of the first Compile games to use the Compile name. Is this correct?
Last edited by BrianC on Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

BrianC wrote:I don't know. I just read it on this french Compile site that has been translated into English. It's awesome how Compile designed those versions of Xevious! I'm still wondering what the deal is with Guardian Legend and Blazing Lazers. The title screens of both games suggest they may have been co-designed with Irem (Guardian Legend) and Hudson (Blazing Lazers).
Well... I trust Kelesis enough, so I don't need any actual evidence. BrianC, Irem had nothing to do with TGL development, they were just the publisher of the game in Japan.

Apparently Compile was a worker for hire: they were hired by Namco (Xevious), Irem (R-Type SMS) just like Treasure is nowadays for Gamearts (Silpheed), Sega (Atom), or Konami (Gradius).
X - P - B
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

I already knew that both R-Type SMS and Gulkave was coded by them.

Now Xevious, the MSX version... that's news for me. This was never listed in their site when they were alive, and Namco ported most of their games on MSX by themselves.

The MSX version of Xevious blows away even the arcade one...

E.I = Exa Innova. It's a pretty simple shooter, I could never link it to Zanac... :)

They also have made Final Justice, a nice (very old school) shmup.

And Guardic, which is like... I dunno, a Space Invaders/Galaga alike in steroids with full 8 way movement a

And they also made Blaster Burn, which was distributed in their Disc-Stations.

And it SEEMS (I am not sure about that) that they coded the MSX port of Thexder (Which is also by Game-Arts , like Silpheed)

Apart of all this, they have made lots of non-shmups on MSX

Crusader, Golvellius, C So!, Jagur (This was published by Hudson too), Gorby's Pipeline, Nyan Cat Puzzle, Rune Master 1, 2 & 3, Swing, Aquapolis SOS, Custle Chummy, Megaloipolis SOS, Randar 1, 2 & 3, Super Cooks , that RPG with the Puyo Puyo charcaters (Always forget the name..)

All those games are pretty good (A few a little simple, mainly for being too old too).
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Isn't there a Japanese company that employs some of Compile's old staff, or owns the right to Compile's games? They really ought to come out with a compilation of Compile's shmups; that would be the best shmup compilation ever, IMO!!

BTW, what ever happened to Kelesis? I wish he was still a site member!
Farewell to hollow words
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Was just on Kelesis's website; I really ought to get an MSX 2 at some point! It's gotta be the best computer for Compile shmupping.
Farewell to hollow words
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Compile is owned by a company named Aiky. I know Bandai published the PS2 port of Puchi to Nya, but I haven't heard any news of any of complie's stuff being released since then aside from the PS2 Puyo Puyo Tsu remake and some cell phone, pay-to-play PC games, and PDA games. It really irrates me how Aiky rather sell games seperatly instead of in a Compile collection for consoles. I'm a bit irriated at Cave and Aiky making so many games for cell phones and so little games on handheld systems like GBA. Aiky's decision for Bandai to only port Puchi to Nya to the PS2 was a bit annoying too (Nothing against the PS2, but it should be a given to port puzzle games to portable systems). I don't like Aiky much.
Last edited by BrianC on Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blue Lander

Post by Blue Lander »

Shatterhand wrote: And they also made Blaster Burn, which was distributed in their Disc-Stations.
I bought a few Disc-Stations, that one was among it. I didn't think it was a very good game, but I didn't really give it much of a play through. It seemed sort of uninspired for a Compile shmup.

My favorite classic Compile game is probably Guardic. It's a mix of Round 42, Megamania, and Galaga. It's actually pretty sophisticated for such an old game.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Blue Lander wrote:
Shatterhand wrote: And they also made Blaster Burn, which was distributed in their Disc-Stations.
I bought a few Disc-Stations, that one was among it. I didn't think it was a very good game, but I didn't really give it much of a play through. It seemed sort of uninspired for a Compile shmup.

My favorite classic Compile game is probably Guardic. It's a mix of Round 42, Megamania, and Galaga. It's actually pretty sophisticated for such an old game.
Cool. I love Guardic too. The follow up to it is also extremely good. My favorite classic Compile game is probably Zanac. That's also sophisticated for the time it came out. All three versions of the original are extremely good, though the NES and MSX EX versions are the best IMO. However, no matter which version you play, you get 8 upgradable secondary weapons, the excellent AI system, great music, great graphics for the time, a good amount of secrets (though more so in the NES and EX versions), and incredible gameplay.