Gridrunner (iOS, 24th Feb 2012)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Illyrian

Re: Gridrunner (iOS, 24th Feb 2012)

Post by Illyrian »

Icarus wrote:602,002, Grid 57. (On iPhone 4.)
Had nearly 30 lives stocked at one point, then lost nearly all of them to the 50+ grids. Lots of lucky breaks, but tried a new method to get past Grid 32 and 42 and it seems to have been successful. Missed a couple of swarmer pods towards the end of the run, each of them spewing 10-12 swarmers each at this point, so scoring potential is higher here.
http://t.co/lhCnBy21
Got a replay recorded, will upload once I find a suitable soundtrack to it. ^_-
Pink Sweets arrange album, so we have something good to listen to instead of that bleepy crap from the last replay :)
www.twitch.tv/illyriangaming
<RegalSin> we are supporting each other on our crotches
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Illyrian wrote:Pink Sweets arrange album, so we have something good to listen to instead of that bleepy crap from the last replay :)
How dare you call Squarepusher "bleepy crap"! :p
And as much as I love Pink Sweets and both versions of the soundtrack, I think it'd drive most people to suicide. Which is pretty fitting for a game where you *can't* suicide Garegga-style to prolong your game…

Anyway, replay for the 602k run is up, weighing in at 57mins long.
http://youtu.be/RKsl3a6uAs4
Mainly shooting game music mixed in, but taken from games with a very distinct theme to them (in most cases). ^_-
Marc

Post by Marc »

Had my first proper play this lunchtime, reached grid 12 with 87-odd thou, which I would expect to improve rapidly over the next week. Minter's best iOS game by far.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Illyrian

Post by Illyrian »

Currently sitting on 315k, i maintain though the game would be better with proper 1:1 controls
Marc

Post by Marc »

The controls annoyed me up until the point where I realised that you stop dead the instant you remove your finger from the screen. Far fron bothering me now, I actually kind of like the slight acceleration effect, it just feels right. A far better method that the horrible virtual trackballs used in the Atari collection titles.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

If you imagine yourself using an actual trackball, the controls translate quite well. It takes a bit of time to adjust but I like it a lot. Can't imagine playing Cave iOS ports with it though - different games require different control styles.

I'm playing Pure Mode here and there, and concentrating on the Vic and C64 versions at present for variety. I'm IcarusFW on GC and OpenFeint.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Incidentally, the score I got today shows up on OpenFeint, but not Game Centre, what gives?
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Marc wrote:Incidentally, the score I got today shows up on OpenFeint, but not Game Centre, what gives?
I usually restart the game (and open OF if required) to get GC to upload the score.
Marc

Post by Marc »

259,749 and grid 33. Not bad, but it's starting to get seriously crowded on the iPhone screen. May be time to look into a cheap iPad2 i think.
Marc

Post by Marc »

330-odd thousand and grid 38. Getting tricky now though. Only Icarus above me on my friends but it's a fucking big jump.
TheSoundofRed

Post by TheSoundofRed »

257,765 - Grid 33

I fucking LOVE this game... seriously. I bought it right before a flight earlier in the week, and couldn't stop playing it during down-time my entire work trip.

I was trying out a strategy on earlier grids to allow the small yellow pods to turn to white bombs for the 100 points each. Not sure if it'd help score in the long run as I have close to no idea how score works beyond destroying everything and targeting 100 point targets first on the grid. I'm going to go watch your 600k+ replay again Icarus to try and glean some of your technique. Haven't been this stoke on a game in some time.
Marc

Post by Marc »

459k, grid 46. Ideally I'd be gunning for Icarus, but damn it's getting crowded on the phone at this point. I like to play about halfway up the grid where the level allows, but have been caught out on several occasions now by an X block in the bottom right corner that my digit has obscured, first I know is when the bullet spread explodes.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Marc wrote:459k, grid 46. Ideally I'd be gunning for Icarus, but damn it's getting crowded on the phone at this point. I like to play about halfway up the grid where the level allows, but have been caught out on several occasions now by an X block in the bottom right corner that my digit has obscured, first I know is when the bullet spread explodes.
Yeah, the cross-bombs are the most dangerous of the environmental hazards in the game. If you're taking care to destroy the centipedes high up the screen, you'll know that the two turrets will spawn them as well, so paying careful attention to what the turrets are doing will get you through the grids faster.
That, and very aggressive play.
Illyrian

Post by Illyrian »

On 430k myself, kinda had enough of the game now, especially considering a single credit takes 35-40 minutes at this point.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Icarus wrote:
Marc wrote:459k, grid 46. Ideally I'd be gunning for Icarus, but damn it's getting crowded on the phone at this point. I like to play about halfway up the grid where the level allows, but have been caught out on several occasions now by an X block in the bottom right corner that my digit has obscured, first I know is when the bullet spread explodes.
Yeah, the cross-bombs are the most dangerous of the environmental hazards in the game. If you're taking care to destroy the centipedes high up the screen, you'll know that the two turrets will spawn them as well, so paying careful attention to what the turrets are doing will get you through the grids faster.
That, and very aggressive play.
That's why I like it, you have to play it all out for the most part. I think Minter has made some of the best stuff there is on iOS. Just wish I got along with Space Giraffe more.
bcass

Post by bcass »

Did you try the PC version of Space Giraffe? There's a new mode in it with toned-down graphics, assuming that's what put you off it originally.
astroid

Post by astroid »

How you play with this control sensetivity? I just cant control the ship as I want... Is there some technic? And how I can switch modes? Only pure is available :?:
ImageImageImage
K-J N.

Post by K-J N. »

Gridrunner was just released for OSX as well:
http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/gridrunn ... 2239?mt=12
Marc

Post by Marc »

Necro'd due to the recent PS4 release (in a double-pack with the also excellent Goat Up), with VR support.
I'd heard that this was due, but it's popped up on the store without any warning whatsoever. DLing as we speak, this was simply the best mobile game I played - either this or Minotron, which I also hope gets a PS4 release.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Hmm.... not 100% sure about this. The mobile games had a clean retro aesthetic that meant I never blamed death on anything other than my own incompetence. Gridrunner has taken the Space Giraffe/Polybius route, and suffers for it IMO; I don't like dying to shit I can't see. Probably need to dig out the VR and see if that improves matters any.