Ketsui Arrange

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
CStarFlare

Re: Ketsui Arrange

Post by CStarFlare »

Jeneki wrote:A bunch of gangstas would meet Trap15 as he enters the arcade,

"So, this guy who say Fuck Cave?"

:P
Now that this happened, I think it's too bad he didn't stick a "fuck cave" in there at some point.

"Welcome to FUCK CAVE round"

It's cool to see this show up in the wild. Would be interesting to hear if Japanese players are talking about it/what they say or if anyone is playing Secret or Mr. Stoic.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Congrats, trap! :D
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

DrTrouserPlank wrote:Must be cool to know people are playing your arrange in the arcades, not sure about the legality of that or any ramifications for the arcade itself... as someone said, maybe they don't know?..
This actually isn't unprecedented for arcades - I know Street Fighter II had a bunch of updated ROM hacks that modified things that were being played in arcades (which led to Capcom releasing an official update, Hyper Street Fighter II). So arcades playing with unofficial romhacks isn't actually new (and regardless of legality I imagine nobody really cares that much).
BIL

Post by BIL »

:o Ya done good trap, REAL GOOD
Casey120

Post by Casey120 »

Very late to the party but this week I am enjoying the totally awesome arrange mode Trap15 made for the first time on Mame and even had some fun with the Mr. Stoic version which put Ketsui back to the bare shmup essentials of old school survival .

Going to play later this week on the cab as playing on mame just never feels the same .

Edit :

Bummer , 1.51 didn't work on my PCB as it crashes at the start so will try 1.50 .
Mr Stoic worked fine though .

Edit 2 :

Arrange 1.5 works fine :mrgreen:
supergrafx77

Post by supergrafx77 »

Looks like I missed the party altogether. :oops:

Just got my Ketsui pcb earlier this week, and I see that Trap15's website is down. :?:
I didn't bother dl'ing the "versions," since I had no idea the page was going to be taken down (or the patcher)... as well as not having an eeprom burner to do this.

@Trap15 or anyone else: know where I can get "mr stoic," and "arrange," or even better, some help w/ burning those eeprms. :mrgreen:
trap15

Post by trap15 »

The site will be back soonish. Server issues. No ETA on when it's fixed.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
supergrafx77

Post by supergrafx77 »

trap15 wrote:The site will be back soonish. Server issues. No ETA on when it's fixed.
Good news!!! I feared the worse. BTW, thanks Trap15 for all your hard work!!!

And not to sound like a broken record, but if anyone can help me allocate the Mr. Stoic and Arrange eep(s) in the meantime, I'd appreciate the help!
Of course, a little compensation for the effort would be in order. :mrgreen: Can't wait to try em'! Saw some playthrough vids of Stoic and Arrange, and I can't wait to try them out! :)
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

So I converted a ketsui rom to arrange, but now MAME refuses to boot it saying that it's missing files. Help?
I have tried it in mame plus, shmupmame, and vanilla mame.

On an unrelated note somehow a copy of a Batrider ROM ended up inside my Ketsui Rom's zip file :?
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

I tried making a batch file to bypass the gui and run it, but it gives me this error: Image

running the original ketsui via batch file also claims ket_igs027a.bin is missing (but runs fine), so it looks like this ketsui_prg_revised.bin file is the problem. This file isn't even in the original ketsui zip though.
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

Well I decided to delete the converted ROM and remake it, and for whatever reason this time it worked. However it won't work if I rename the folder to anything except "ket" for some reason; if I rename it I'm given the ketsui_prg_revised.bin error. I thought it wouldn't matter what the folder name was as long as I had the original ROM as a parent?
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

So from what I can tell the scoring system is essentially the same, but now both the overall multiplier and stage multiplier constantly drain, and the only way to slow down the drain is to somehow raise the rank. Am I missing any sort of nuance, or did I cover everything?

Also, is the copyright screen replacement a reference to something? It seems like a bit of a non sequitur.
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

I figured out how to raise rank. Now the genius of this new scoring system is finally exposed :)

This is really fucking good. Thanks based Trap.
Now if I can figure out how to get the original ROM and the arrange ROM to coexist in the same rom folder...
Muchi Muchi Spork

Post by Muchi Muchi Spork »

You can't. You're doing quick user hacks that are normally only used to test roms. The proper way to do it is to compile the games as different sets in the source and compile, or easier/better yet just have separate mame folder setups made for mame and hbmame and use the latter to play homebrew games like this and the official for normal games. You can use clrmame on both rom folders, just point it to the appropriate exe first to build the databases.
Cagar

Post by Cagar »

Shmupmame 4.2 allows that
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Yeah, most alternate builds of MAME that give a rats ass about this have Ketsui/DoDonPachi Arrange as a separate set, just a matter of editing the driver files and the .lst in the source. Shmupmame is missing ddonpacha though.
monouchi

Post by monouchi »

What rom ver of Ketsui and DDp do I need?
Tried to fix the arrange with 0.158 roms and forward, didnt work.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Ketsui uses the latest revision. Make sure the ROM image file is named correctly.
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
monouchi

Post by monouchi »

trap15 wrote:Ketsui uses the latest revision. Make sure the ROM image file is named correctly.
Named it ket.zip, Used your windows file to create the .bak files
Tried all different combinations with zipped folder with .bak inside or outside the folder.

Still plays the original ketsui. :(
Strange as I got this to work some year ago on my old mame multi-board.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Get rid of the .bak files, in a zip they're still being used by MAME because it goes by checksum not filename.
monouchi

Post by monouchi »

BPzeBanshee wrote:Get rid of the .bak files, in a zip they're still being used by MAME because it goes by checksum not filename.
If i delete the .bak file, then Mame says: rom file missing.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

If you're launching MAME and selecting Ketsui through the games list, don't do that, instead just launch 'mame <romname>' through the command line to skip the file check. And yes, delete the .bak files.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
monouchi

Post by monouchi »

Shepardus wrote:If you're launching MAME and selecting Ketsui through the games list, don't do that, instead just launch 'mame <romname>' through the command line to skip the file check. And yes, delete the .bak files.
Many thanks shep, this worked.
Hope this will work in my Glaunch frontend also, will test tonight.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

If the frontend is passing the usual command line arguments to it then it should work. :)
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

trap, your game has resurfaced in Japanese arcades, this time at the famous TRY Amusement Tower in Akihabara. Twitter user Shingi posted about it a few times recently and seems pretty jazzed about it. He explains that it's a hack done by the "TRAP15 team" and goes on about the game mechanics.

SOF-WTN also posted about it today saying that he had just played the "rumored 1.7 version of Ketsui".
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Yeah, I've been watching the mentions of it on Twitter, people seem to like it, which makes me happy. Saw the WTN tweet this morning, was quite excited :D
Shou
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Post by Shou »

NTSC-J wrote:It's at GAME VAMOS out in Nagoya. Never been there myself, I just saw it posted here: http://www9.plala.or.jp/nakanoryuzo/HS/Front.html

The comment says that it's a "strange, strange blue Ketsui".
It's also at Try, one of my collector friends gave them them the ROMs.

Putting these kind of games up are a bit of a gray zone like when SEGA came calling with a cease and desist 3 days after putting up Fantasy Zone II DX.
become history
el_rika

Post by el_rika »

What are the differences between originals and these hacks? I tried Stoic1.51 and the chips are gone :shock: