Incoming Cave Games on Demand deluge

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BulletMagnet

Re: Incoming Cave Games on Demand deluge

Post by BulletMagnet »

So DS isn't IP-locked, but Futari is? I wonder what the reasoning behind that could be...
Annoyboy

Post by Annoyboy »

Elixir wrote:Not my words. It was this, right? https://twitter.com/#!/elixir68k/status ... 3688644609
Yeah, that. Sorry, I must have misunderstood. All these different levels of region locking are getting confusing.
Elixir wrote:It is ip locked. Just tried to buy it using points through my HK account (from console).

"This item isn't available from your current location".

Can someone attempt to purchase this using points through a Japanese account?
I don't have any spare points to test with, but I do have a suggestion. Wouldn't it be possible, via an ethernet cable, to make a bridged connection to a Windows PC and then run a VPN such as Packetix on the PC (which you can install with default settings at http://www.packetix.net/en/secure/install/ using Internet Explorer)? From there you could access Xbox Live on any 360 and have a Japanese IP, right?

Edit: someone already mentioned VPNs while I was typing >_<
So, are we expected to turn our TV on its side?!
Game Collection | 1CCs
FMK

Post by FMK »

Downloaded from the HK marketplace!

Check here for an easy way to get a HK IP: http://s2.wepn.info/
HEY POOR PLAYER!
bcass

Post by bcass »

They've probably IP locked it so that Japanese customers can't buy it cheaper from the Hong Kong store.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

It's nice to see a free VPN site, but how do you use this for 360? All I can find are shitty, shitty youtube tutorials. I managed to get the site working for PC but have no idea what to enter in my console.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
AntiFritz

Post by AntiFritz »

Elixir wrote:It's nice to see a free VPN site, but how do you use this for 360? All I can find are shitty, shitty youtube tutorials. I managed to get the site working for PC but have no idea what to enter in my console.
I think you have to plug in your 360 to your computer and use your computer as a bridge or something.
RegalSin wrote:Rape is very shakey subject. It falls into the catergory of Womens right, Homosexaul rights, and Black rights.
DrTrouserPlank

Post by DrTrouserPlank »

FMK wrote:Downloaded from the HK marketplace!

That site is causing MS security essentials to flag up Trojan:JS/BlacoleRef.G as being installed after visiting it.

Use at your discretion.
To go "full-Plank" - colloquial - To experience disproportionate levels of frustration as a result of resistance to completing a task. Those who go "full-Plank" very rarely recover.
FMK

Post by FMK »

DrTrouserPlank wrote:

That site is causing MS security essentials to flag up Trojan:JS/BlacoleRef.G as being installed after visiting it.

Use at your discretion.
I use MS security and did not trigger anything to me. That being said, that site opens a huge amount of pop up ads, so yes, be warned.
--

A rapid guide to config the console for HK ip without the need of 2 lan cards:
1. Setup VPN folowing this: http://s1.wepn.info/guides/pptp/ - a 619 error is common during connection, if you experience this, disable Windows Firewall or get dirty to research which ports etc to allow in your firewall
2. Install VMWare Player
3. Download, unpack and load this VM into VMWare: http://rapidshare.com/files/183458306/BFW.7z
4. Login as root on the VM (user: root, pass: root)
5. Choose option 1 and change LOCAL_IPADDR to a local IP on the same network as your PC
6: Choose w to write configs
7: Choose c to test configs
8: Configure the Xbox network (on the console, settings -> network -> configure manually) to use that VM's IP as Gateway
9: Login to Xbox Live and download

Hint: Downloading via VPN is slow, so you can download using the VPN until 2%, so disconnect the VPN and download until 95~99% normally, and then download with VPN the remaining 5~1%. That works because IP checks are made just on the start and end of the download. But careful not to allow download until 100% without VPN, that will corrupt the file! You'll have to monitor your download (a pain in the ass, yes, but is much faster).
HEY POOR PLAYER!
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Locked by IP? Well fuck you very much Cave. No buy from me. :evil:

If it's Hong Kong selling them cheaper the cynic can safely bet on Cave IP-locking whatever else they get out onto GoD next too.
bcass

Post by bcass »

This is flakey as hell for me. Keeps disconnecting as soon as I try to use the connection once it's connected (eg if I try to refresh Google in a browser it disconnects). I'm connecting my 360 via my laptop (connected wirelessly to my router). I've used this method loads of times in the past using paid-for VPNs to downwload games off the JPN/Asian Marketplaces. Is there anything particular I have to configure in the VPN settings on the laptop? I tried disabling the firewall but still no luck.
Last edited by bcass on Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FMK

Post by FMK »

bcass wrote:

This is flakey as hell for me. Keeps disconnecting every few minutes. I'm connecting my 360 via my laptop (connected wirelessly to my router). I've used this method loads of times in the past using paid-for VPNs to downwload games off the JPN/Asian Marketplaces. Is there anything particular I have to configure in the VPN settings on the laptop? I tried disabling the firewall but still no luck.
To me it worked with all default settings, nothing special. But if you can stay connected a few minutes, you can try the hint I gave about using the VPN only to initialize and finalize the download.

The only special thing is that the user/pass pair the site gives you is valid for a connection made in the next 5 minutes (but once connected, it should not disconnect), i.e. you cannot generate an user/pass and try to connect afterwards. Every connection you make you need to generate a new user/pass there.
HEY POOR PLAYER!
bcass

Post by bcass »

Which server did you use (Server 1 PPTP, Server 1 OpenVPN or Server 2 PPTP)?

It's actually disconnecting as soon as I try to use the connection for anything, eg - refreshing the web browser causes instant disconnection.

Most free VPNs block to ports that Xbox Live uses so it's very surprising to see this one.
FMK

Post by FMK »

bcass wrote:Which server did you use (Server 1 PPTP, Server 1 OpenVPN or Server 2 PPTP)?
You MUST click the "I AGREE" button below and use the server IP, user and password the site returns to you and connect in less than 5 minutes. Anything different will not work.

After you click I AGREE you'll see something like this:

Thank you for using wePN.
Accounts are NOT shared across servers.
Please connect to IP addresses of the servers.
Domain names would NOT work.

Server: 58.177.252.109 (s2.wepn.info)
Username: 79332465
Password: 17270488

You may request an account every 5 minutes.
Please wait 154 seconds to retry.
HEY POOR PLAYER!
bcass

Post by bcass »

Yeah, I did that, with all 3 servers and was able to connect to each but got instantly disconnected as soon as I tried to do anything on the connection. Looks like I'll have to fork out $10 for a 1 month VPN from my usual VPN provider. Free VPNs are usually too good to be true.
FMK

Post by FMK »

Yeah, I was surprised how good it worked for me. It's not really a surprise the thing being unstable... Maybe try again in a different time.
HEY POOR PLAYER!
Friendly

Post by Friendly »

I am surprised at the hoops some of you are willing to jump through even though Cave clearly doesn't want your money.

Why go to such lengths to acquire console- and region-locked DRM'd DOWNLOADS (and quite overpriced ones, too) that can't even be resold?

Wouldn't the sensible solution be to import the physical discs and either get a hacked or imported 360?
bcass

Post by bcass »

Friendly wrote:I am surprised at the hoops some of you are willing to jump through even though Cave clearly doesn't want your money.

Why go to such lengths to acquire console- and region-locked DRM'd DOWNLOADS (and quite overpriced ones, too) that can't even be resold?

Wouldn't the sensible solution be to import the physical discs and either get a hacked or imported 360?
The VPN stuff is actually not that difficult once you've done it a few times. It's a mild inconvenience at best. Also, I don't see how you think they're overpriced. The GoD releases are usually around £14. You won't find 2nd hand copies of Japanese shmups being sold for that price anywhere. Even if you add on the $10 cost for a 1 month VPN sub, it still works out cheaper than 2nd hand prices.

Also, many of us downloading this stuff already have Japanese consoles. Personally, with the rare exception, I no longer support retail releases. I tend only to buy download releases due to the increased convenience of not having to mess about with silly plastic boxes and easily damaged optical discs.
Friendly

Post by Friendly »

And if your 360 dies a couple of years from now, all your precious games are gone.

A hacked 360 allows you to copy your original discs to your hdd and then safely store away the discs, and you don't even have to go out of your way to import foreign banana points and use a VPN.
bcass

Post by bcass »

Friendly wrote:And if your 360 dies a couple of years from now, all your precious games are gone.
No they're not. I'll just download them again. If Xbox Live is no longer around then (Very unlikely) then I'll just buy a hacked console and play them on that.
Friendly wrote:A hacked 360 allows you to copy your original discs to your hdd and then safely store away the discs, and you don't even have to go out of your way to import foreign banana points and use a VPN.
A hacked 360 can not use Xbox Live, which to many, is a vital feature of the 360.
FMK

Post by FMK »

Where I live, high (VERY HIGH) import taxes and long (LONG) delivery delays made me a fan/supporter of digital downloads. Compared to what I would pay, the GoD release is a steal.
HEY POOR PLAYER!
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

Has anyone managed to install VMplayer on Windows 7? It won't even load the installer, it just times out.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
bcass

Post by bcass »

Have you got a laptop that you can connect to the internet wirelessly (and has a network socket)? I found it easier to connect my 360 to a VPN via a wirelessly connected laptop.
bcass

Post by bcass »

Here are some instructions I got from somewhere a while back, together with some extra info I've added. Remember, this info only applies if you want to connect your console to a VPN via a laptop that is wirelessly connected to your hub/router. Don't be too concerned about the number of steps. You only have to perform most of these steps once. This method is proven to work, it's how I've been buying Japanese/Asian IP-locked Games On Demand games for the last 12 months.

What you'll need:

-A Wireless Router
-A Notebook/laptop with wireless and LAN port
-an ethernet cable (the same type of cable you'd use to connect your 360 to a router)
-a VPN Service (I buy mine from here: http://www.widevpn.com/ - $10 for one month gets you a list of worldwide VPNs including, most importantly, Japanese and Asian VPNs)

Once you've purchased your VPN subscription, go here for details of how to set it up:

Windows XP || Windows Vista || MacOS

Once your VPN is set up and working you can procede with the next steps...

Step 1: Connect your Xbox 360 to your laptop using the cross over cable.

Step 2: Make sure your Xbox 360 IP/DNS Settings are set to Automatic (done via the console dash: System > Network Settings > Wired Network > Configure Network). You won't lose your Manual settings when you switch to Automatic, so you can just switch back to your Manual settings after you've finished downloading.

Step 3: On your Windows Laptop goto Network Connections (Start > Control Panel > Network Connections).

Step 4: right click on Local Area Connection and select Properties

Step 5: Select "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)

Step 6: Make sure you click "Use the following IP address"

Step 7: Give it the following IP address 192.168.0.1

Step 8: subnet mask 255.255.255.0

Note: Default gateway: make sure its blank
Note: Preferred DNS Server make sure its blank
Note: Alternate DNS Server make sure its blank

Step 9: right click on Your VPN (Virtual Private Network) and go to its properties

Step 10: click on the sharing tab and select "Allow other network users to connect through this computers internet connection

Step 11: Right under allow other network users should be Home network connection a drop down menu select Local Area Connection and NOT YOUR WIRELESS CONNECTION

Note: Make sure Establish a dial up connection is not marked and Allow other network users to control is unmarked

Hit OK

Step 12: make sure your laptop is connected to the internet via wireless internet connection and then connect your VPN

Step 13: once that is done do a network test on your xbox live (Test Xbox Live connection) it should go all the way through

You're now ready to start downloading from whatever country Marketplace your VPN is configured to.

One way to determine if your VPN is working is to type google.com into your browser address bar. If your VPN is working, you will be automatically connected to the appropriate region google page.
Last edited by bcass on Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bcass

Post by bcass »

StarCreator wrote:
bcass wrote:As far as shmups are concerned, all the DLC you bought for the JPN retail releases will work with the GoD releases, regardless if you buy the JPN or Asian GoD releases. Same applies to save files, replays etc.
Full Voice wasn't so much bought as it came only with the first pressing of the original release. We know the Platinum release was a different disc so I'm wondering if support for it remained even though it was impossible to obtain. (Just check the settings to see if the option is there, it should be present albeit greyed out if support for it exists. It's not there in the NA/EU versions.)

Also, still would like to know the size of the download.
My code card arrived today. The file size of the download is 10.17MB. I can confirm that it works fine with the Asian GoD release of the game. Everytime you turn the voices on, you get this message:

Can anyone translate?

Also, Elixir, I've finished with my one month widevpn sub the rest of this month so I can send you the login details if you want to try out the method I posted above.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

bcass wrote:Image

Can anyone translate?
Seems like you can't store replays if full voice is enabled.
bcass wrote:Also, Elixir, I've finished with my one month widevpn sub the rest of this month so I can send you the login details if you want to try out the method I posted above.
Sure, I'll do it tonight. Thanks.

Friendly

Post by Friendly »

It says that if voices are turned on, you can't save your replays.
bcass

Post by bcass »

Odd.

Where are the voices supposed to occur? I had a quick play on Arcade and 360 modes but there didn't seem to be any extra voices. I was expecting almost constant chatter.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

Pretty sure it's during the encounter with Sakura, and meeting with Jitterbug.

foxyg

Post by foxyg »

Can you buy from Japanese market and still associate the game to your US gamer profile?
bcass

Post by bcass »

bcass wrote:OK, I just deleted my MBL file and it's still letting me select MBL from the game, so it is indeed in this release.
I need to amend the info in this post. I just went back to Deathsmiles (GoD) and it won't let me select MBL - it takes me to the Marketplace to buy it. I don't know if I've managed to confuse it because I had MBL installed before I installed the GoD release, but it's definitely not letting me play it without downloading the MBL DLC again. It definitely let me select it when first tried it (after deleting the MBL DLC) so I'm not sure what the problem is now. Someone who has never installed MBL (and has just bought the GoD game) will have to test this instead.