Incoming Cave Games on Demand deluge

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Estebang

Incoming Cave Games on Demand deluge

Post by Estebang »

Starting with Deathsmiles, one game per month.

http://cave-game.cocolog-nifty.com/blog ... 1/god.html

http://twitter.com/shmups/status/162024725361594368

What we can assume is that Cave is eventually going to put their entire retail 360 shmup catalog up for download (probably leaving out DOJ BLEX, due to the legal issues). The burning question is whether this would be for the US as well. I assume they would opt for DSIIX-style unlocalized releases.

I guess there's nothing we can do at the moment but wait for more info, but this still definitely deserves a thread. They've been throwing around the EVAC INDUSTRY name a lot--maybe this will become a brand for the more hardcore shmup releases, while the Cave name is relegated to association with iOS/Android ports and social games.
Last edited by Estebang on Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moniker

Re: Oncoming Cave Games on Demand deluge

Post by Moniker »

Pretty rad, at least from a short-term perspective. Hopefully it's not just a desperate measure to remain solvent. It would be super-awesome, though super-unlikely, if they ended up putting their whole catalogue on there, but one can dream.
The freaks are rising through the floor.
Recommended XBLIG shmups.
Top 20 Doujin Shmups of ALL TIME.
nZero

Post by nZero »

Estebang wrote:(probably leaving out DOJ BLEX, due to the legal issues)
Probably leaving out DOJBLEX and Ketsui since they didn't publish or develop the port for either of them.
AntiFritz

Post by AntiFritz »

Probably leaving out europe/australia too :(
RegalSin wrote:Rape is very shakey subject. It falls into the catergory of Womens right, Homosexaul rights, and Black rights.
Special World

Post by Special World »

Pretty cool news, even though I already have everything. Hopefully it'll spread the news around about how Cave is amazing. Probably not, though.
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
bcass

Post by bcass »

This is long overdue IMO. I bet the Platinum releases aren't selling very well so they've decided to go the cheaper route instead.

It will be interesting to see if they'll be IP locked. Recent GoD releases have not been IP locked, despite being region-locked. Saves owners of JPN consoles having to mess about with VPNs. My guess is that the games which are currently region locked, and haven't already seen a Western release, will be made available on JPN and Western GoD Marketplaces. Daifukkatsu, Daifukkatsu BL Arrange and Akai Katana didn't sell very well did they, so I recon we'll see those made available too, as opposed to seeing Platinum releases beforehand.

Given how quickly 5pb got Bullet Soul up on the service, I doubt we'll ever see DOJBLEX or Ketsui on GoD.
Casper<3

Post by Casper<3 »

bcass wrote:This is long overdue IMO. I bet the Platinum releases aren't selling very well so they've decided to go the cheaper route instead.

It will be interesting to see if they'll be IP locked. Recent GoD releases have not been IP locked, despite being region-locked. Saves owners of JPN consoles having to mess about with VPNs. My guess is that the games which are currently region locked, and haven't already seen a Western release, will be made available on JPN and Western GoD Marketplaces. Daifukkatsu, Daifukkatsu BL Arrange and Akai Katana didn't sell very well did they, so I recon we'll see those made available too, as opposed to seeing Platinum releases beforehand.

Given how quickly 5pb got Bullet Soul up on the service, I doubt we'll ever see DOJBLEX or Ketsui on GoD.
DFK Platinum has already been announced.
bcass

Post by bcass »

What's the release date? If they're releasing one game per month onto GoD, and assuming they're releasing them in the same order of the retail releases, then GoD Daifukkatsu would be released in April/May.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

At this moment, this is a good idea for them. Hopefully, they can make some money from it. Enough to kind of get their confidence back up.

I really hope they go with Deathsmiles, Futari, Galuda II, and all the other hi-res games they have released on 360.
Casper<3

Post by Casper<3 »

bcass wrote:What's the release date? If they're releasing one game per month onto GoD, and assuming they're releasing them in the same order of the retail releases, then GoD Daifukkatsu would be released in April/May.
http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-a12 ... -4ioy.html (affiliate link)

March 08 2011

Seems to be getting the cover the SE SHOULD HAVE got.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

AntiFritz wrote:Probably leaving out europe/australia too :(
Deathsmiles got made GoD in PAL some time ago. I spotted it while looking at the info for Deathsmiles in the dashboard last year.
gray117

Post by gray117 »

I think this is just in recognition of the fact that 360 jap games will not be receiving a strong [if any] retail presence anymore. I would expect anyone with 360 only games for japan will be pestering microsoft for this, perhaps even microsoft approached them with it.
DrTrouserPlank

Post by DrTrouserPlank »

I can't imagine them releasing their full catalogue onto the US GoD service, and I can certainly see that none of what they release in the US (if anything) will make it into the PAL region (DS2 being a indicator of that)
To go "full-Plank" - colloquial - To experience disproportionate levels of frustration as a result of resistance to completing a task. Those who go "full-Plank" very rarely recover.
AntiFritz

Post by AntiFritz »

BPzeBanshee wrote:
AntiFritz wrote:Probably leaving out europe/australia too :(
Deathsmiles got made GoD in PAL some time ago. I spotted it while looking at the info for Deathsmiles in the dashboard last year.
Not deathsmiles 2 though.
RegalSin wrote:Rape is very shakey subject. It falls into the catergory of Womens right, Homosexaul rights, and Black rights.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Incoming.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

TrevHead (TVR)

Re: Incoming Cave Games on Demand deluge

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

I wonder if the fact RSG are localising Cave shmups is stopping the some of these games from comming to PAL / NA? Hopefully we will get a GOD title or 2 in a couple of years.

One would hope DS2 would come to PAL on GOD if RSG dont pick it up
Drum
Banned User

Post by Drum »

Steam pls.
IGMO - Poorly emulated, never beaten.

Hi-score thread: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34327
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

AntiFritz wrote:Not deathsmiles 2 though.
I don't think Deathsmiles 2 was really the best game to trial selling via GoD to be quite frank, but chances are we'll see it for PAL eventually.
TrevHead (TVR)

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

Drum wrote:Steam pls.
RSG has also set up a digi distro dept and plan to release games on xbla, psn, iOS and Steam
Square King

Post by Square King »

TrevHead (TVR) wrote:
Drum wrote:Steam pls.
RSG has also set up a digi distro dept and plan to release games on xbla, psn, iOS and Steam
orly.png
Observer

Post by Observer »

This thread just got too close for comfort! If it ends up being true, oh man, I will be the happiest schmukmupper on Earth. I also hope the Steam sales can give CAVE a nice flow of cash to keep things going. The least thing we would want is them doing an Angry Birds shmup with shotacon content or worse.
NOW REACHES THE FATAL ATTRACTION BE DESCRIBED AS "HELLSINKER". DECIDE DESTINATION.
bcass

Post by bcass »

Where have they said they're relasing Cave stuff on Steam?
Square King

Post by Square King »

bcass wrote:Where have they said they're relasing Cave stuff on Steam?
There's a small blurb (though not specifically about Cave) on Silicon Era. I emailed RSG a bit ago requesting more info.
Last edited by Square King on Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Estebang

Post by Estebang »

If there are Cave releases on Steam, 200 imaginary dollars says they'll be MAME roms of the pre-Progear games.
TrevHead (TVR)

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

bcass wrote:Where have they said they're relasing Cave stuff on Steam?
It doesnt mate. But imo more shmups on steam is one step closer with RSG entering Digi Distro. Im interested in what plans RSG have for themselves. But considering they now have a growing fanbase who are loyal customers. I wonder if they hope to establish themselves as something similar to what Altus is to JRPGs or NISA is to Tactical-RPGs.

I know its early days and im a sod for crystal ball guesswork. But I hope if RSG can become known among the mainstream for localising quality Japanese Shmups that they'll use it as a launching platform into other platforms. OFC its all down to the developers themselves if they want to make the jump to other platforms in some way. But if they had an established publisher to back them up, they would be more willing to do so. With how badly the 360 is doing in Japan, I bet CAVE is more than willing to jump to other platforms. Grev are already making their games for 360 and PS3 aswell.

But hey im half talking out of my arse, and its more likely Akai Katana flops and RSG quit localising shmups for the 360 :lol:

EDIT
BTW I know that devs need a publisher to put their games on xbla. Which is just gouging on MS' part when ideally digi distro should be cutting out the middlemen. But who was the publisher of CAVEs XBLA games? Was it CAVE themselves or someone like MS?

If its MS I hope CAVE switch to RSG now they are Xbla publishers
Last edited by TrevHead (TVR) on Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Observer

Post by Observer »

Yeah, I would wait for RSG's word on this, not hoping much... But if it does happen, oh boy.

I still blame CAVE's current situation on Instant Brain. :P
NOW REACHES THE FATAL ATTRACTION BE DESCRIBED AS "HELLSINKER". DECIDE DESTINATION.
TrevHead (TVR)

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

Observer wrote:I still blame CAVE's current situation on Instant Brain. :P
You cant be serious! nothings more hardcore than DDP kinect :lol:

BTW anyone know if it was a hit or flop? I want them to make another VN so I can play kinect Deathsmiles one handed while I jerk off to the loli with my other hand.

Having to use both hands to play Deathsmiles and Futari is why 360 CAVE dont sell. Thats why one handed iphone shmups are so popular, but the screen isnt big enough for the otaku :)
Last edited by TrevHead (TVR) on Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bcass

Post by bcass »

Can't see it happening personally (Steam releases). Also, you can't blame low domestic sales on how popular or unpopular the 360 is in Japan. How many 360s have been sold in Japan now? One million+? That's far bigger than Cave's fanbase in that country. Remember, their console games only sell between 10K and 50K, regardless of platform. The vast majority of their fans will already have 360s. Releasing ports onto the PS3 isn't going to see a sudden burst of increased sales. They're a highly niche developer, even on their home turf, something I think a lot of people forget about sometimes.
TrevHead (TVR)

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

True, I honestly think its more viable that CAVE stick with the 360 but in a very limited way and just ride the storm until the next console generation, where they look if its viable to continue making big screen shmups from there.

Im intrested in how Grev preform with Under Defeat on the PS3. However the PS3 is still lacking a top class shmup that has all the fans lusting over it. Shame that Sina Mora is another xbla exclusive. (probably MS strong arming the devs like they usually do for xbla exclusives)
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

TrevHead (TVR) wrote:
Observer wrote:I still blame CAVE's current situation on Instant Brain. :P
You cant be serious! nothings more hardcore than DDP kinect :lol:

BTW anyone know if it was a hit or flop?
It did poorly.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die