DDP:Blissful Death (iOS) and DDP:Maximum (Windows Phone 7)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
hoagie

Re: DDP:Blissful Death (iOS) and DDP:Maximum (Windows Phone

Post by hoagie »

I mainly use the Delta Sword. Sometimes the Schwertz.
But except for the cat, all the ships are quite useful. You do have to change how to play the game quite a bit with each one, and some of them are not a good fit for some levels, but there's always a way.

I completed 5A with the Delta and the TS, 5B and 5C with the Orchid (saving and timing bombs for certain sections), and 5D with the RSF-4D...the first time I tried the level with it after failing for some time with the others.
Couldn't complete 5E yet, but I do make a point of trying a bit with each ship.

All have their pros and cons and are fit for one level or the other.
So...I am a newbie.
:)
toaplan_shmupfan

Post by toaplan_shmupfan »

It's not been mentioned yet but in order to unlock the Special Round in Dodonpachi Maximum Easy mode it is necessary to unlock Stage 5-E in Normal mode.

Two additional notes regarding Dodonpachi Maximum (Windows Phone 7):

1. After applying the newest update version 2.02 a power cycle is required for the game to function properly. (If a power cycle is NOT done, then the game will load, but will immediately quit after attempting to start the stage.)

2. Cave needs to stop doing updates at this point, otherwise it is like the game is still being beta tested and still not finalized.
  • They need to do more thorough testing and launch a final update once and for all. Having to do what was a 171 MB update over Wi-fi shows that each update is also making the total re-download size larger and larger. (For example, the issue of the game aborting after attempting to start a stage is inexcusable and is a basic QA testing issue escape--either the game should have worked after updating without a power cycle or the update completion should have indicated a power cycle was required.)
  • Fix the Leaderboards or discontinue them. Currently, only the player who is playing the game on their phone will show up on the leaderboard when it is launched.
Don't get me wrong, Dodonpachi Maximum is a great game, but let's be done with the bugs and the updates since it is such a large download over Wi-fi or PC connection to re-download most of the game again as an update. (NOT a fan of the release and keep patching cycle of today's video games.)
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Anyone happen to have screenshots of the endings in DOJ's iOS port (presumably the endings are translated)? Was always curious to see what the japanese ending text says.
astroid

Post by astroid »

I am a rookie :lol: I can't unlock stage 5-E in Dodonpachi Maximum on my ipod touch 5... Can you give me your save file with it? It's just a single file save.dat in a Documents directory. Pleeease!

PS. Topicstarter, please remove words "Windows Phone 7" from topic's title, DDP Max is no exclusive.
ImageImageImage
Oniros

Post by Oniros »

Squire Grooktook wrote:
Captain wrote:The future of shmups is the past.
*Yagawa smiles with the teeth of a shark*

*cue Heavy Day*
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

It's really great to have these back again, but I'm still saddened to see them chasing a premium/paid model. While I would want this option to be an unlockable mode you could buy, I'd also like to see Cave survive. If they went FTP, and just gave you the game for free and charged coins for buying additional lives upon death I think they'd have a shot at creating a reliable revenue stream. Blasphemy, I know, but charging this much for a mobile game is not a blissful way to die.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
finisherr

Post by finisherr »

Yeah. I mean, in true arcade form they could make the game free and charge for extra credits on continue. I mean hell, they could have done this for future games on platforms. Free to download and pay per credit. Something like 25 cents a credit. Otherwise, pay a fraction of the cost of what a PCB would cost for a new title.
geremy

Post by geremy »

Count me in the opposite camp. Glad they are one time purchases. How would you play offline if you had to pay for credits? What about training? The current model is definitely the best.

Deathsmiles and DOJ have in-game stores for cute add-ons. I don’t mind them much either.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

geremy wrote:Count me in the opposite camp. Glad they are one time purchases. How would you play offline if you had to pay for credits? What about training? The current model is definitely the best.

Deathsmiles and DOJ have in-game stores for cute add-ons. I don’t mind them much either.
Most free-to-play games can be played offline so long as you have a balance of coins remaining, and most games work to ensure you always start a session with enough to play at least a few rounds. I'm thinking something like Candy Crush, where you simply buy extra moves when you die. They could explore all kinds of event models and social leaderboard challenges to keep things fresh. I don't expect these games to chart like a Clash Royale, but there's definitely money on the table trying to charge big prices for a one-time purchase.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!