∀kashicverse -Malicious Wake

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Zeether

Re: ∀kashicverse -Malicious Wake

Post by Zeether »

SuperSoaker360 wrote:After the command input, do you press the shoot button?
I keep it held down so yes.

Edit: Ugh, I remembered why I hate this game. Half the time I keep forgetting which input does what and I know what to do now but the amount of bullets being thrown at me is making it too hard to concentrate.
<Aquas> EDMOND DROPPED OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL TO SMOKE COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF OPIUM
<Zeether> shoe failed college again <croikle> credit feed
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Try letting go of the fire button while holding the command button and entering the input, then tap the fire button. Pressing the fire button is what tells the game that you're done entering the command.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

IIRC there was a setting in Options somewhere concerning that behaviour. Have a look there too.
Cadrin

Post by Cadrin »

Oooh, this is pretty fun. So many enemies everywhere for you to kill. I died to the boss during the transition between attacks and the continue prompt remained like this:

Is hit cancel frame-perfect now, or something? In Malicious Wake, I could hit cancel bullets left and right, in this one I just kept dying and rarely managed to get one. All the other game mechanics feel unchanged.

Since apparently you can only buy Cruel Ultimatum (their album that contains the music tracks used in Pandemonic Nightmare: "khaosgazer" and "toxicall") at Comiket, I guess I'll record the tracks straight from the game Komugi-style and upload them somewhere...
To be continued. See you false memory syndrome...
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

You mean turning on the shield right when you get hit to cancel the death? I didn't notice any change in that.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

I played this again and got to a very different part of the boss, where it seemed to have a ridiculously big health bar and timed out before I could even get less than 90%.

Seems the real "caravan" part of this is figuring out the best way to kill off the damn thing at the right moments.
Captain

Post by Captain »

You mean massive disaster or the phase after all the annihilator attacks? Because thats what happened to me too. I was fighting the boss' human form and got to a phase that only lost 10% of hits health, and then the game ended.
In search of great justice, sailing on a sea of stars.
Image Image
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Yeah, I used my Eliminator to defeat its Eliminator and it went to that bullshit form. Previously I'd played up to the Eliminator part and it just ended there.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

I pretty much get to that same part every time now too (as long as I can get past the part before the boss, which I'm super inconsistent at). I've also had the game end during the Eliminator part, but I'm not sure what conditions make that happen; maybe it's just timing out that section.

Not sure if there's any point in attacking the boss at all when it reaches that form.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Captain

Post by Captain »

I think you have to use your disaster to kill the boss' one to trigger the next form.
In search of great justice, sailing on a sea of stars.
Image Image
Cadrin

Post by Cadrin »

Shepardus wrote:You mean turning on the shield right when you get hit to cancel the death? I didn't notice any change in that.
Yeah, that's what i mean. I swear, you have to push the shield button well ahead of time in order to pull off a hit cancel in this version. Or maybe that's because I play on a different machine, but I didn't experience any sort of input lag...

And I guess the final attack is just kinda there to be fancy and flashy for you to time out.

Also, it seems the first phase of the boss just throws the scoring out the window and gives you ALL the points. It's really silly. I'll post the video of me getting 90% of my score from cycling its phases in the scoring thread once it's done uploading, as demonstration.
Cadrin

Post by Cadrin »

Oh! By the way... I'm really sorry for the double post, but if anyone is, or at any point in time should be, interested in translating more of the first game:

some person (I think from Japan) asked me today for my save file so they could read the document section. I've moved to Windows 8 recently which fixed the problem I had on WinXP with some text in the game not displaying at all, and it turns out...
Spoiler
...I have everything but two entries unlocked! I think I did almost everything there is to do in that game, including 1ccing it on all three difficulty modes and dying within 20 seconds of starting the game (that was on purpose! :x ).

Here's the save file. Just copy everything to your Akashicverse game folder (for some reason scores.dat is also needed to unlock a lot of the stuff).

The text is gibberish on my screenshot, but changing your language settings to Japanese should make it display correctly on WinVista and newer. It worked for me:
Spoiler
I might try to find a way to unlock the two missing entries. I'll update the save file on Google Drive and let you know when that happens.

EDIT: oh, I didn't catch that. There's that thing in the top right with a large number and "EiB". That must be the score counter measuring the total entropy you've accumulated across all playthroughs. It seems you unlock plenty of things by reaching total score milestones, that's why score.dat is needed to unlock most of the stuff there.

I have 117 billion entropy there... sounds like quite a lot.
Last edited by Cadrin on Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Huh, was wondering that "Innocent Affection" thing you were referring to was, and it turns out I haven't actually seen like half the stuff the final boss has to offer. I assume I need to be playing on ∀sterism ∀kashic or ∀nother, I've only 1cc'd on ∀dvent... That would explain why there's still one locked music track for me.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

Interesting. Though the stage 6 boss-2 song doesn't play for me. I wonder why?
BryanM wrote:You're trapped in a haunted house. There's a ghost. It wants to eat your friends and have sex with your cat. When forced to decide between the lives of your friends and the chastity of your kitty, you choose the cat.
Cadrin

Post by Cadrin »

I don't think anyone has mentioned that yet. Looks like in Pandemonic Nightmare, the enemy eliminator's final attack doesn't kill you properly if you just time it out without doing damage to the boss?... Here, I caught that on video. Then I reproduced it again and again. Is it because of my hit cancelling and bomb spamming like a mofo, or does it always happen regardless of what you do?

Anyway, I guess that means any scoring in this game is deader than the game itself. Here is a screenshot of me getting 15 bil by just farming the enemies at the end for a few minutes.
Spoiler
SuperSoaker360

Post by SuperSoaker360 »

Was there ever a digital copy release of Endless Shirafu's album "Cruel Ultimatum"? The crossfade of it on SoundCloud seems to have the full versions for the stage and boss music of Pandemonic Nightmare.
1CC List | YouTube Channel | Twitter | RebKMG/KMG
RegalSin wrote:Wait a minute, everything else is better then an aerodactyle, with a man face on it.
SuperSoaker360

Post by SuperSoaker360 »

Oh hey some activity from Endless Shirafu

∀kashicforce is apparently the name. It looks like a puzzle game.
1CC List | YouTube Channel | Twitter | RebKMG/KMG
RegalSin wrote:Wait a minute, everything else is better then an aerodactyle, with a man face on it.
Aisha

Post by Aisha »

There will be a playable demo at the upcoming Digital Games Expo next week. Doesn't seem like there's a distribution plan yet; maybe next Comiket?

Here's a little bit of it in motion:

https://twitter.com/nicolai_twi/status/ ... 7953745921
https://twitter.com/nicolai_twi/status/ ... 5392205824

it's very eye-catching.
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

Looks interesting, but I'm sorta disappointed. Looks like a take on the severely overplayed "match" genre. I desperately hope I'm wrong.
BryanM wrote:You're trapped in a haunted house. There's a ghost. It wants to eat your friends and have sex with your cat. When forced to decide between the lives of your friends and the chastity of your kitty, you choose the cat.
microfolk

Post by microfolk »

I want more shooting goodness. :(
But I'm also mildly interested in this.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

IIRC Hellsinker had its own puzzle spinoff too, though I'm not sure it was developed by the same folks or just fans.
Cadrin

Post by Cadrin »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYnL5lLCyL0 <- A 2-minute promotional video of their match game was released a month ago. Looks nice. The music is alright, too.

I hope they keep making shooting games. Malicious Wake and Pandemonic Nightmare were okay at best, but I think those guys have something amazing on their hands that simply needs more refinement. For instance, the synchronization to the music was really fun. I still think the intro to the Stage 4 boss as she assembles her mech to assault you with is just great. Crazy stuff out of nowhere. Absolutely beautiful auto-scroller. Easily the highlight of the entire game for me. That synchronization needs to be expanded upon. You don't even need bosses that try hard to one-up the previous ones like in MW. Just keep experimenting with directing your game around the music.

Are there any other shmups that go out of their way to couple the action so tightly together with the music? I haven't played many, and I know Hellsinker gets really into it in a few places, but if such a thing hasn't been done before then it absolutely should.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Cadrin wrote:Are there any other shmups that go out of their way to couple the action so tightly together with the music?
RefRain: Prism Memories might fit the bill.
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

I loved that game! Though I think Stage 5 is the best example of this. The moment the boss appears, it starts shooting in rhythm, and even the interface on the side is repeating - LOCK - LOCK - LOCK - over and over to the rhythm of the song. And it only gets better from there!
Cadrin

Post by Cadrin »

For the record, Akashicforce is now complete. It's made in Unity this time, and has ridiculous system requirements, like the previous games. The full game will be available next Comiket, but you can download the trial version from the website I linked. I've tried playing it for an hour
Spoiler
on Zako difficulty
and it doesn't seem very fun in single player, at least. And it is, in fact, not shmups. Maybe their next game will be a proper shoot-'em-up.
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

Cadrin wrote:It's made in Unity this time, and has ridiculous system requirements, like the previous games.
But it just looks like versus Bejeweled with- how?? Is it the physics calculations on every single orb?
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
Meseki

Post by Meseki »

Durandal wrote:
Cadrin wrote:It's made in Unity this time, and has ridiculous system requirements, like the previous games.
But it just looks like versus Bejeweled with- how?? Is it the physics calculations on every single orb?
Based on my experience, the physics and effects can be rather heavy on processing time. But I can mostly play it on a somewhat recent computer with an integrated graphics card so long as I turn down the resolution and effects (though I do have issues when fields are overflowing with orbs, and possibly some other times).
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Bump. Game's out. Please no "oh it's just a match game" or "oh it's just Bejeweled", because that's the same thing as "oh it's just Galaga". Pretty disrespectful and hypocritical.

-force is a versus-oriented SameGame derivative with a lot of Weird Stuff. I don't really get it yet, but that is rapidly changing. I guess this is offtopic, but oh well.

Anything in Unity has a bad habit of being impossible to run on any reasonable PC, doesn't matter how simple it looks. Unity is pretty garbage software.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Unity was recently updated to be better optimized outside the box, but it still requires pretty good programming skills to optimize perfectly. It treats everything as if it's in a 3d world, even if you're deliberately making a 2d game, so it's okay-ish for 3d but a real pain in the ass for 2d.

I usually stick by the "a poor programmer blames the engine", but amateur developers definitely have easier options for 2d game development.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Yeah Unity's a 3D engine that can do 2D stuff but isn't super great at it (though it has gotten better over time). Unity's a great fit for games like, say, Assault Android Cactus. The wide adoption and support you can find for Unity, however, is alone a compelling reason to use it even if its workflow or output isn't perfect for what you're making (I personally would still choose something else for 2D though).
Last edited by Shepardus on Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube