Dodonpachi Saidaioujou

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
brokenhalo

Re: Dodonpachi Saidaioujou

Post by brokenhalo »

Despatche wrote:they're "supposed" to be working on deathsmiles iii
where did you hear that?
Jockel

Post by Jockel »

His uncle works at Cave.
yosai

Post by yosai »

I think you'll find it was his mates brothers uncle.
back

Post by back »

Please explain me THAT > http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm17880450 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edit : It look to be a glitch or something like that which maximize the chain at +999999999.
AntiFritz

Post by AntiFritz »

saidaioujou 1.5 confirmed anyone?
RegalSin wrote:Rape is very shakey subject. It falls into the catergory of Womens right, Homosexaul rights, and Black rights.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

I might be blind (judging by the glasses, I probably am), but what am I supposed to be seeing getting screwed up?

EDIT: LOL, just found it. Watch his score as he plays...
Last edited by trap15 on Sun May 20, 2012 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
back

Post by back »

AntiFritz : Ahah, I tweeted the same thing about sdoj 1.5.
Sapz

Post by Sapz »

'So, the score can't be counterstopped, the bosses can't be milked, hypers are non-abusable, the enemy values don't get too crazy and the final boss doesn't give an excessive amount of points. It must be fine now, right?'

I'd like a video of Yagawa saying 'Ha-ha, bet you didn't expect this one!'
STGT '11 - #1 | STGT '12 - #1
sven666

Post by sven666 »

back wrote:Please explain me THAT > http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm17880450 :lol: :lol: :lol:
lol, I called it! :mrgreen:
the destruction of everything, is the beginning of something new. your whole world is on fire, and soon, you'll be too..
BarfHappy

Post by BarfHappy »

Yep i guess so xD A new master ver is in order.
st5ex0boss/st5ex0boss.cpp, st5ex0boss/st5ex0b_appear.cpp, st5ex0boss/st5ex0b_disp.cpp, st5ex0boss/st5ex0b_move.cpp, st5ex0boss/st5ex0b_anime.cpp, st5ex0boss/st5ex0b_check.cpp

And there shall be TTLB... <3 Muwohohoho
Cagar

Post by Cagar »

Also, some rank 20+ C-EX footage
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm17880102

EDIT: Who could pay for reaction video of Ikeda & Yagawa watching that together?
Erppo

Post by Erppo »

sven666 wrote: lol, I called it! :mrgreen:
Yeah, I guess it would have been silly to expect them to make a fully functional game anymore.
BarfHappy

Post by BarfHappy »

Cagar wrote:EDIT: Who could pay for reaction video of Ikeda & Yagawa watching that together?
I d love to be at the office telling them the news myself :) Tsuneki s going to have a bad day trying to justify the need to make a new version... (but this is good, more sh3 ! This was not the very end after all)
st5ex0boss/st5ex0boss.cpp, st5ex0boss/st5ex0b_appear.cpp, st5ex0boss/st5ex0b_disp.cpp, st5ex0boss/st5ex0b_move.cpp, st5ex0boss/st5ex0b_anime.cpp, st5ex0boss/st5ex0b_check.cpp

trap15

Post by trap15 »

The trigger is the GP value being greater than 2147483647 (the maximum value for a signed 32bit integer).

My assumption is that their GP value code looks a little something like this:

Code: Select all

int rate;
int gpval_thresh = SOME_NUMBER;
if((int32_t)gpval < gpval_thresh) { // gpval was implicitly casted to a signed integer, because SOME_NUMBER was defined as signed (since int is by default signed)
  rate = X;
}else{
  rate = Y;
}

rate_timer++;
if(rate_timer > rate) {
  score += (uint32_t)gpval / 100; // gpval is normally an unsigned int anyways
  rate_timer = 0;
}
This could easily be fixed by defining gpval_thresh as an unsigned integer. A very common mistake, and anyone could have made it, especially since not many people would expect the GP value to actually get that high.
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
back

Post by back »

trap15 wrote:The trigger is the GP value being greater than 2147483647 (the maximum value for a signed 32bit integer).
Nice.
Now they should let japs players on this version during few weeks, just for fun. :P
TonK

Post by TonK »

brokenhalo wrote:
Despatche wrote:they're "supposed" to be working on deathsmiles iii
where did you hear that?
Retro Gamer interview.
TonK

Post by TonK »

back wrote:Please explain me THAT > http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm17880450 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edit : It look to be a glitch or something like that which maximize the chain at +999999999.
I can't get this to load.

Anyone else having it hang?
Muchi Muchi Spork

Post by Muchi Muchi Spork »

TonK wrote:

I can't get this to load.

Anyone else having it hang?
It hanged for me in Firefox but loaded OK in IE.
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

I'd understand if it were some rare esoteric bug, but signed integers in the scoring system's central aspect? These people are incorrigible. :lol:
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....
trap15

Post by trap15 »

moozooh wrote:I'd understand if it were some rare esoteric bug, but signed integers in the scoring system's central aspect? These people are incorrigible. :lol:
Honestly, that probably slipped in due to not caring/disabling warnings from the compiler. There was probably a "comparison between signed and unsigned integers" warning that they totally ignored, and thus it implicitly casted it to signed. We can't all be fault-proof :(

But we can be close by passing -Wall -Wextra -pedantic -Werror :wink:
BarfHappy

Post by BarfHappy »

Well... that s Cave hey ! always a little sloppy ... homemade cookies with imperfections xD

I think we can tell from that mistake (or perhaps it is just a side effect from something else...poor recycling of dfk code) that they were in a hurry to wrap up the binary for the location tests.

In the interview "Ikeda: For a time, there was a danger it wouldn't get finished."
That s consistent with the kind of bugs encountered xD

moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Curiously, Touhou 12 had the same problem with its score counter (signed integer overflow at 2.147 billion), but thankfully it had tracked the score correctly internally, so it would appear right on the high score screen and replay menus and only break visually during the actual play(-back). Oh well, 1.5 it is then. I wonder if they'll use the opportunity to change any other aspects of the game the same way they did with DFK...
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....
Muchi Muchi Spork

Post by Muchi Muchi Spork »

moozooh wrote:Curiously, Touhou 12 had the same problem with its score counter (signed integer overflow at 2.147 billion), but thankfully it had tracked the score correctly internally, so it would appear right on the high score screen and replay menus and only break visually during the actual play(-back). Oh well, 1.5 it is then. I wonder if they'll use the opportunity to change any other aspects of the game the same way they did with DFK...
Venturing slightly OT for a sec, what aspects did they change from DFK 1.0 to 1.5?
Erppo

Post by Erppo »

Muchi Muchi Spork wrote:Venturing slightly OT for a sec, what aspects did they change from DFK 1.0 to 1.5?
Instead of the autobomb, the bomb ships had this silly system where the bomb items gave a full refill so you ended up with a ridiculous amount of bombs. The final attack had a safespot inside the pattern and the hypers seemed to be lot more powerful (there is a replay in super-play where the guy just effortlessly cancels Hibachi's opener with C-B). I have also heard they tweaked the score values of some enemies but I don't know any more about this.

Edit: One more detail I remembered. The 2-1 Ura midboss first attack was aimed and even spread, which means you could dodge it entirely by staying still. They changed it to odd in 1.5
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Yeah, the scoring system had a significantly lower cash-in in 1.0. Also, a minor thing, but type B and Strong styles became playable from the start (they had to be unlocked with a code in 1.0). Maybe there's something else I'm forgetting.
spineshark

Post by spineshark »

Erppo wrote:Yeah, I guess it would have been silly to expect them to make a fully functional game anymore.
People say things like this as if Guwange and Rade not getting full "fixes" didn't make them not broken. Sure, the counterstop is pretty minor, but from a playability standpoint I have a REALLY hard time seeing this as worse than the lack of boss timeouts.
O. Van Bruce
Location: On an alternate dimension... filled with bullets and moon runes...

Post by O. Van Bruce »

trap15 wrote:The trigger is the GP value being greater than 2147483647 (the maximum value for a signed 32bit integer).

My assumption is that their GP value code looks a little something like this:

int rate;
int gpval_thresh = SOME_NUMBER;
if((int32_t)gpval < gpval_thresh) { // gpval was implicitly casted to a signed integer, because SOME_NUMBER was defined as signed (since int is by default signed)
  rate = X;
}else{
  rate = Y;
}

rate_timer++;
if(rate_timer > rate) {
  score += (uint32_t)gpval / 100; // gpval is normally an unsigned int anyways
  rate_timer = 0;
}
This could easily be fixed by defining gpval_thresh as an unsigned integer. A very common mistake, and anyone could have made it, especially since not many people would expect the GP value to actually get that high.
Care to give us an explanation in christian please... I didn't get shit :lol:
sven666

Post by sven666 »

Muchi Muchi Spork wrote:
Venturing slightly OT for a sec, what aspects did they change from DFK 1.0 to 1.5?
1.0 plays more like DOJ with the lazer-countering mechanic, it is a better game then 1.5 in spite of its flaws if you ask me..
O. Van Bruce wrote:Care to give us an explanation in christian please... I didn't get shit :lol:
sure, because jesus hates you :P
the destruction of everything, is the beginning of something new. your whole world is on fire, and soon, you'll be too..
Fu

Post by Fu »

Uploaded the latest SDOJ videos on youtube :
http://youtu.be/wfJQzRi6zGU
http://youtu.be/cHCi_7FhADo
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

O. Van Bruce wrote:Care to give us an explanation in christian please... I didn't get shit
Any number you define in a computer program can be signed (being a positive or negative) or unsigned (going from zero up, but never below zero). Since all numbers have limited "storage space", they max out at a certain value. In most cases such "storage space" is a multiple of 8 bit. Here's a simple table:

size  max values  range (unsigned)             range (signed)
 8-bit         256          0 to 255                -127 to 128
16-bit       65536        0 to 65535            -32768 to 32767
24-bit    16777216     0 to 16777215        -8388608 to 8388607
32-bit  4294967296   0 to 4294967295  -2147483648 to 2147483647
If some number in your game breaks when reaching one of these values, it means there's not enough space for it to grow further, so it'll either freeze there, reset, roll over, or break something else. This is a very bad programming oversight, since these limitations are easily avoided by allowing more "storage space" for numbers that are expected to grow large.

The thing with signed integers in particular is that their max positive value is twice smaller than their unsigned counterparts: one of the bits is spent to store the sign. So if your scoring system never involves negative numbers at any point—this is usually the case with any shooter—you're just pointlessly cutting a number's max value in half by using a signed integer, making it easier to break.

In SDOJ's case, the system broke when GP value went over 21,474,836 (the actual number is probably divided by 100 as trap15 speculated, accounting for the "missing" two digits).
Last edited by moozooh on Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.