Dodonpachi Saidaioujou

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Drake

Re: Dodonpachi Saidaioujou

Post by Drake »

Aleksei wrote:Great, now we'll all be suspected of cheating if we get close to four billion as an end score, I still haven't even played it! :|
as if sdoj scoring isn't already completely ruined
Muchi Muchi Spork

Post by Muchi Muchi Spork »

Maybe they enabled this debug stuff while they were fixing the scoring bug and forgot to disable it before flashing the board. Maybe Yagawa wanted to slip in the infinite lives trick and this is all he had time for. Maybe Asada walked in in camo pants and the programmers became too disoriented to remove it. It's all gay in the hood.
O. Van Bruce
Location: On an alternate dimension... filled with bullets and moon runes...

Post by O. Van Bruce »

-S.L- wrote:I got this PCB from Cave directly actually, maybe that's why.

I didn't ordered it from anyone.

Serial is fairly low I guess. SDO 0073

It might be a mega rare version indeed :o
you may be the luckiest person in the world right now... anyway, have you thought about contacting cave about this? just send then the video and maybe we can get an answer. :lol:

They wouldn't make you return the PCB, would they?

and yeah, you are now officially the only person in the world that has beaten InBachi :lol:
-S.L-

Post by -S.L- »

I always knew I was very good at Dodonachi, hope you enjoyed my speedrun :lol:

Well ok this would explain why nobody ever found this before me, because I'm the only one who has that. :mrgreen:

Dunno if this add value to my board, but i'm not planning to sell it anyway, but I'm happy to have the only "stage select" PCB in this world :P
Cagar

Post by Cagar »

Someone is gonna be RICH
:|
-S.L-

Post by -S.L- »

I'm not planing to sell this anyway, at least not untill I 1 life the game, so pretty much in 2053 or something :mrgreen:

unless someone is coming with a huge offer that I can't refuse lol
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

That's really cool. I wonder if there are any other debug features on that board that you haven't found yet.
O. Van Bruce
Location: On an alternate dimension... filled with bullets and moon runes...

Post by O. Van Bruce »

If this is really a debug version of the game... this is me just being delusional but what if the code is easier to read than in a normal PCB? what if this can help to understand SH3 coding?
CDexWard

Post by CDexWard »

O. Van Bruce wrote:If this is really a debug version of the game... this is me just being delusional but what if the code is easier to read than in a normal PCB? what if this can help to understand SH3 coding?
DUMP IT NAO!!!11 :mrgreen:
pestro87

Post by pestro87 »

O. Van Bruce wrote:If this is really a debug version of the game... this is me just being delusional but what if the code is easier to read than in a normal PCB? what if this can help to understand SH3 coding?
The EPROMs are still just going to contain the binaries...
Muchi Muchi Spork

A friend of mine suggested there could be unlock codes that enable and disable this debug cheat stuff. That would make more sense than a leaked debug. Maybe someone can get them from Cave.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Muchi Muchi Spork wrote:A friend of mine suggested there could be unlock codes that enable and disable this debug cheat stuff. That would make more sense than a leaked debug. Maybe someone can get them from Cave.
I'm not sure what the chances are of randomly inputting an unlock code. Usually they're pretty complex, and if it was simple enough to do by accident, you'd think it would have happened more than once already.
Muchi Muchi Spork

I was thinking more along the lines of someone at Cave had inputted it to test the board and forgot to disable it. But it's all guesswork. The chances of Cave programming a few boards with a different code version are probably just as low as someone accidentally inputting it though. He should email Cave and ask what the deal is and see if they respond.
matrigs

Post by matrigs »

actually - wouldn't it be possible that the same code has ended in the xbox360 version?

in this case i'd write them a mail asap.
rtw

Post by rtw »

-S.L- wrote:I'm not planing to sell this anyway, at least not untill I 1 life the game, so pretty much in 2053 or something :mrgreen:
Since you got the game from CAVE directly you should be able to ask them directly about this version! :D
http://world-of-arcades.net
The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work
pestro87

Post by pestro87 »

I don't know if someone has mentioned this before (or if this exists in all Cave PCBs) but it seems like there's a hidden "Trial Version" that you can access through the Test Menu. A video was recently uploaded to nico that showcases what you can change in the Test Menu along with some brief gameplay of the Trial Version. It seems like the only difference is that the game is set on Free Play for a set amount of time...

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm20327565

Nothing too exciting I guess, but I just thought I'd share.
sven666

Post by sven666 »

its not hidden at all, cave even advertised it as a means to draw players into the game..
the destruction of everything, is the beginning of something new. your whole world is on fire, and soon, you'll be too..
pestro87

Post by pestro87 »

sven666 wrote:its not hidden at all, cave even advertised it as a means to draw players into the game..
lol :lol: Thanks for the clarification!
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

That's not a bad idea, letting the player get through the first stage for free, then only after that does it ask for teh moneys. Although arcade game credits are quite cheap already ..
IseeThings

Post by IseeThings »

there have been (nonshmup) games in the past where allowing the player to 'try out' the game during attract mode has been a feature

(and a couple of emulation issues where it happens as a result of bugs)

Quantum (easily one of my all time favourite games btw) actively encourages the player to try out the play mechanic during attract mode.

So yeah, I guess allowing the player to take control of an attract mode sequence for free (within the first 10 seconds) then offering them a continue option if they finish the (short) specially crafted demo stage might not even be such a bad idea. Would be extra work to make it tho, can't really go letting people play too much.

Can't see it happening tho, looking at the way things are heading with other genres you're more likely to see a shooter you can't 1CC because you have to insert an extra coin after each stage just to buy enough time to finish the next one ;-) Screwing the player just as much as the operators and collectors are getting screwed by the internet-connected systems with no used market.
Pallerå

Post by Pallerå »

I don't see how a game that can therothically be completely experienced with just one 100 yen coin needs a demo mode.

DDR has had this since X too, you can play the first selected song on Beginner difficulty with a player who pays the round.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Pallerå wrote:I don't see how a game that can therothically be completely experienced with just one 100 yen coin needs a demo mode.
Yeah but your average noob would never be able to do that anyway.
oboewan42

Post by oboewan42 »

The Ikaruga arcade release had a trial version, where for 1 credit, you get unlimited lives during the first stage, but the game ends on stage 2 with no option to continue. Pretty decent idea I'd say.
i'm bad at video games
kathy

Post by kathy »

Cagar wrote:CAVE knows they're going bankrupt, so they decided to literally go ALL OUT.
Time will tell if they are truly going bankrupt but i really do hope Cave went all out on this..

When the SHTF for snk they made metal slug 3 and omfg what a game that is!! = )
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

kathy wrote:
Cagar wrote:CAVE knows they're going bankrupt, so they decided to literally go ALL OUT.
Time will tell if they are truly going bankrupt but i really do hope Cave went all out on this..

The original is still the best. And that was all Nazca.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

kathy

Post by kathy »

Skykid wrote:
kathy wrote:

The original is still the best. And that was all Nazca.
All things considered (including the release date) i have to agree that part 1 is better than 3 in a couple of ways, but i just cant get past the extreme content of part 3 (it is pure evil!) = )

And bump for one of the most anticipated 360 Cave titles ever to keep things on topic (cough!)

xox
finisherr

Post by finisherr »

I just realized that there isn't a strategy thread. Anyone know how to get that hyper count under your ship up as fast as possible? Also, does anyone know of where I can find a translated version of the booklet that comes with the 360 port? Can't read this stuff.
japtor

Post by japtor »

finisherr wrote:I just realized that there isn't a strategy thread. Anyone know how to get that hyper count under your ship up as fast as possible? Also, does anyone know of where I can find a translated version of the booklet that comes with the 360 port? Can't read this stuff.
Easy answer, I think hypers charge up faster in 1.5 :mrgreen:

Otherwise the main thing is lots of big stars. If your chain meter is pegged (flashing yellow at the top I think) the big stars come out, so you want to time destruction of larger enemies when that's maxed.

And the biggest one that I know of is hyper recharging, probably goes by other names but basically it's timing the end of a hyper with the destruction of a big enemy or other screen clearing event. Right before hyper mode ends you blow stuff up with lots of bullets on screen and fill the screen with big stars, then you're back to normal when you collect all those stars and end up with another hyper (or more) as a result. You can see what I'm talking about if you watch some superplays, particularly on the stage 3 mid boss where it's just like "hyper hyper hyper hyper hyper hyper hyper system ready" throughout.

I still don't have the timing down for that but can occasionally do it on the stage 1 mid boss and there's a lot of opportunities in stage 2 cause all the popcorn enemies.

edit: I think there's something in particular about bee collecting and the chain and building the hyper meter (beyond just the usual adding to it) but I'm not too sure on what it is.
And there's a discussion thread in strategy at least:
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=45983
-S.L-

Post by -S.L- »

you are talking about 1.5, maybe he was talking about arcade HD mode.

and for that there is no secret, to fill faster your hyper gauge, you need to laser enemies as close as possible, collecting stars, the bigger the better. the refill technique is only available at stage 5 (yes you can refill at earlier stages, but not as much as stage 5), and it's very advanced technique. You need to collect also all the bees, the more the bees you take during the game, the higher your hyper gauge.

another simple thing but yet not everybody knows is, the more bombs your have in stock, the faster your hyper will rise.

you (all) can do the test in stage 3 for example, get rid of all your bomb after the mid boss (maybe keep one for auto bomb, just in case), and clear the whole stage up to the boss. with all bombs in stock, you might end up with 3 up to 4 hyper (if you took all the bees), while with all your bombs in stock, for exactly the same run, you will end up with a little bit more than 5 hyper. after killing the boss and laserign it very close all the time, with full bomb stock, you can get 8+ hyper, with empty bomb stock, barely get 7, mostly 6

it's not much of a difference, but it does count too.
sojtrash

Post by sojtrash »

-S.L- wrote:another simple thing but yet not everybody knows is, the more bombs your have in stock, the faster your hyper will rise.
Now this I didn't know, and I've been playing this game for like a year. :shock:

Someone really ought to make something like a Nintendo Power-ish "Classified Information" thread, with all the SDOJ secrets and techniques not really obvious, outlined concisely for the casual player.

....hmm... :idea: