Dodonpachi Saidaioujou

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
SuperPang

Re: Dodonpachi Saidaioujou

Post by SuperPang »

Fu wrote:A player on nicodouga has uploaded an ALL with Hibachi. He got 13m + 陽. I didn't watch the whole run because he's not scoring high the entire game. It's interesting how he does against Hibachi.
http://youtu.be/3ds6ZlbwypY
His rank when he reaches the last boss is 16 with 5 lives left.
What the hell? :shock: That might as well be me up until the third boss. Same sort of score. Except then I get mullered. He doesn't even collect the two hypers from the first boss!

That's SDOJ's only flaw IMO, all the scoring is done on the last two stages.
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

It's rather typical for Pachi games though!

DDP: about 2/3 of the score comes from full-chaining 2-4 and onwards with max bomb bonus.
DOJ BL: 2-3 to Hibachi are worth about the same as the previous seven stages.
DFK 1.5: 1-5 and 2-5 combined are worth over half the game's total score.

That said, SDOJ is the first Pachi to feature such an immense endgame bonus. It can get you over 10 billion by survival alone, and even with perfect scoring it will likely comprise about 30–40% of the final score.
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....
Sapz

Post by Sapz »

As unbalanced as it looks on paper, I'm pretty sure it's fine; as in all previous Pachis, the score more or less corresponds with the difficulty of what you're doing. It just holds true through Hibachi for once. :P
STGT '11 - #1 | STGT '12 - #1
Ko.oS

mozoh...

Post by Ko.oS »

yeah, until about two, three years ago, in DOJ vanilla (1st round only), really good players usually scored about 150 mill in stages 1,2,3 together - then another 150 mill in stage 4, and finally some 350-400 mill in stage 5 - apparenty smart gals call that a convex score progression . . .

:arrow:

Post by third_strike »

moozooh wrote:It's rather typical for Pachi games though!

DDP: about 2/3 of the score comes from full-chaining 2-4 and onwards with max bomb bonus.
DOJ BL: 2-3 to Hibachi are worth about the same as the previous seven stages.
DFK 1.5: 1-5 and 2-5 combined are worth over half the game's total score.

That said, SDOJ is the first Pachi to feature such an immense endgame bonus. It can get you over 10 billion by survival alone, and even with perfect scoring it will likely comprise about 30–40% of the final score.
DDP: 30% score in 1st loop and 70% in 2nd loop
DDPDOJ BL: 30% score in 1st loop and 70% in 2nd loop
DFK 1.5: 50% score in 1st loop and 50% in 2nd loop

Indeed DFk is the most balanced DDP game
Giest118

Post by Giest118 »

DFK is so balanced that roughly a third of the game isn't even worth playing for score :V (stages 1 and 2 and EX Bosses)
third_strike

Post by third_strike »

Pretty off topic:
DFK is so balanced that roughly a third of the game isn't even worth playing for score :V (stages 1 and 2 and EX Bosses)
1- Stages 1 and 2 last two minutes together very far from a third of the game. Say me can you do 20,000,000,000 in whole DFK play?
I guess no:
Giest118 wrote:The fact that you need to perfect entire stages to get the second score extend is a legitimate complaint with DFK. If you claim that you DON'T need to perfect entire stages to get it, you are wrong. A 2-all is literally easier to get than that second score extend. Oh, what's that? You don't believe me because you've memorized the game so hard that you get the second score extend in your sleep? I'VE GOTTEN A 2-ALL WITHOUT GETTING THE SECOND SCORE EXTEND. This was not a challenge to myself. I just played the game, and I got a 2-all before I figured out how to get the second score extend. This should not happen.

Having said that, DFK is still a huge amount of fun. It just has a REALLY unbalanced scoring system.
20,000,000,000 is not easy to do.
Giest118

Post by Giest118 »

third_strike wrote: 1- Stages 1 and 2 last two minutes together very far from a third of the game.
EX Bosses are five minutes, and stages 1 and 2 are actually 5:30 together, and since you go through stages 1 and 2 twice, that totals up to about 16 minutes.

Which is more like a quarter of the game, but still.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

About a third of the game's stage count is about a quarter of the game? SO OUTRAGEOUS!
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
mesh control

Post by mesh control »

Cave game drama thread
lol
Naut

Post by Naut »

third_strike wrote:DDP: 30% score in 1st loop and 70% in 2nd loop
DDPDOJ BL: 30% score in 1st loop and 70% in 2nd loop
DFK 1.5: 50% score in 1st loop and 50% in 2nd loop

Indeed DFk is the most balanced DDP game
Easy shit being worth as much as hard shit is balanced? Alright...
spineshark

Post by spineshark »

I don't see what's wrong with that. If you can chain the second loop you can almost certainly chain the first loop. If you're better, you score more.

Err, uhh, if that sounds pithy, I just mean that I don't think the sort of massive rolling bonus in the older DDPs or most Touhou games or MFBL Original or (for the most extreme example that I don't see people stick up for very often) Guwange is a necessary scoring component to distinguish players who've worked harder at mastering a game. I certainly can't remember ever seeing complaints that the flamingo trick in Garegga is worth more (at least for Gain/Chitta/Bornnam) than destroying Glow Squid's cockpit.
third_strike

Post by third_strike »

Off topic again, but this will be my last post about DFK in this topic:
Giest118, 1-1 will define all your total score, 1-2 and 2-2 will define your score in 1-3 ad 2-3 respectively. EX Bosses are pure survival.
Naut wrote: Easy shit being worth as much as hard shit is balanced? Alright...
Let me see:
1st loop
- Need do stuffs in first stage.
- Need pick bees.
- Can't die or bomb.
- Need stay in route.
- Harder to raise the chain counter.
- Harder keep chain.

2nd loop
- Hard survive.

Pretty balanced to me.
Drake

Post by Drake »

I know it was probably a half-joke, but gj trying to pick apart the game in a completely dishonest way to try and support your point

Considering you're already going to be good enough to get to second loop in the first place, most of the list is bogus. You used that assumption to go "yeah man you have to no-death the 1st loop and keep in loop reqs" but then you're also judging the difficulty from the POV of a first-loop player, as if it's actually difficult to do these things in comparison to the second loop. The only relevant thing you listed is the lengthened chain meter on loop, but you'd think that would be offset by the new amount of bullets that are being thrown up your bum.

in other words
1st loop
- easy shit
- easy shit
- easy shit
- easy shit
- think about chaining

2nd loop
- hard shit
- think less about chaining
Elaphe

Post by Elaphe »

Do you know where can I find these illustrations from the game in high resolution?

Thanx.
BarfHappy

Post by BarfHappy »

Elaphe wrote:Do you know where can I find these illustrations from the game in high resolution?
They will be part of the OST booklet, so you will have to wait for the release :)

st5ex0boss/st5ex0boss.cpp, st5ex0boss/st5ex0b_appear.cpp, st5ex0boss/st5ex0b_disp.cpp, st5ex0boss/st5ex0b_move.cpp, st5ex0boss/st5ex0b_anime.cpp, st5ex0boss/st5ex0b_check.cpp

And there shall be TTLB... <3 Muwohohoho
Elaphe

Post by Elaphe »

I'm not interested in OSTs, I'm afraid. However, I hope they release an artbook on this game, because the illustrations look really nice. Any piece on information about it?
BarfHappy

Post by BarfHappy »

Elaphe wrote:I'm not interested in OSTs, I'm afraid. However, I hope they release an artbook on this game, because the illustrations look really nice. Any piece on information about it?
нет, nothing about it for now, i strongly suggest you follow the CAVE shmup dev team blog, that s where you ll know first when an artbook is coming.
http://ameblo.jp/cave-cs-stg-dev
st5ex0boss/st5ex0boss.cpp, st5ex0boss/st5ex0b_appear.cpp, st5ex0boss/st5ex0b_disp.cpp, st5ex0boss/st5ex0b_move.cpp, st5ex0boss/st5ex0b_anime.cpp, st5ex0boss/st5ex0b_check.cpp

And there shall be TTLB... <3 Muwohohoho
Elaphe

Post by Elaphe »

Thanx for the tip. Too bad I can't read japanese.
Gus

Post by Gus »

mdsfx

Post by mdsfx »

Gus wrote:http://translate.google.com/?hl=en

You're welcome.
Really? I take it you've never used google translate before. Oh, it'll translate Japanese for you alright... into gibberish.
AntiFritz

Post by AntiFritz »

mdsfx wrote:
Gus wrote:http://translate.google.com/?hl=en

You're welcome.
Really? I take it you've never used google translate before. Oh, it'll translate Japanese for you alright... into gibberish.
If he doesn't want to use google translate then he can go without can't he?
RegalSin wrote:Rape is very shakey subject. It falls into the catergory of Womens right, Homosexaul rights, and Black rights.
Erppo

Post by Erppo »

Drake wrote:The only relevant thing you listed is the lengthened chain meter on loop, but you'd think that would be offset by the new amount of bullets that are being thrown up your bum.
So in the end you're left with:

1st loop
- easy shit
- think about chaining

2nd loop
- hard shit
- think less about chaining

Isn't that just how it was supposed to be? Where's the inbalance in that?
E: Also why wouldn't "- Harder to raise the chain counter." be relevant?

Also I expect people to speak only when they know what they're talking about so please don't bother if you haven't tried chaining stuff in both loops.
Naut

Post by Naut »

The "imbalance" is that the second loop shit is still significantly harder than the first loop shit (which is what it should be, and thus should be worth more points). There is a very good reason it's easier to get first loop chains than second loop chains, even though it requires more precision to keep the GP meter up in the first loop. It's easier.
Erppo

Post by Erppo »

Naut wrote:The "imbalance" is that the second loop shit is still significantly harder than the first loop shit (which is what it should be, and thus should be worth more points). There is a very good reason it's easier to get first loop chains than second loop chains, even though it requires more precision to keep the GP meter up in the first loop. It's easier.
So how would you compare the difference in difficulty between good full chains of say 1-5 and 2-3 or 2-4?

You're now talking only of the chains, and those yield equal score in both loops in all DDPs. The difference in the earlier games is entirely max bomb (and DOJ bees) which is completely separate. It's a full game process and you need to NMNB the first loop to even start getting the second loop score from that so it's not the same thing at all.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Got to play this today, great stuff CAVE!
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Formless God

Post by Formless God »

Code: Select all

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm17818685
Haven't watched to the end yet, but I think pikkorrro finally got it.
RegalSin wrote:Then again sex is no diffrent then sticking a stick down some hole to make a female womenly or girl scream or make noise.
sven666

Post by sven666 »

Formless God wrote:

Code: Select all

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm17818685
Haven't watched to the end yet, but I think pikkorrro finally got it.
he got annigilated by the TLB..

atleast we can rule out no miss/bomb as a requirement.

im guessing finishing stage 5 with a rank higher than 15 does it, that and bees maybe..
the destruction of everything, is the beginning of something new. your whole world is on fire, and soon, you'll be too..
Giest118

Post by Giest118 »

The requirements might even be different depending on whether you're using Shot, Laser or Expert type. >_>
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

Erppo wrote:
Naut wrote:The "imbalance" is that the second loop shit is still significantly harder than the first loop shit (which is what it should be, and thus should be worth more points). There is a very good reason it's easier to get first loop chains than second loop chains, even though it requires more precision to keep the GP meter up in the first loop. It's easier.
So how would you compare the difference in difficulty between good full chains of say 1-5 and 2-3 or 2-4?

You're now talking only of the chains, and those yield equal score in both loops in all DDPs. The difference in the earlier games is entirely max bomb (and DOJ bees) which is completely separate. It's a full game process and you need to NMNB the first loop to even start getting the second loop score from that so it's not the same thing at all.
In DDP, MAX bonus means greater difficulty because you are not allowed even one mistake, and the 2nd loop is obviously much harder than the first, but like you said there's a twist : chaining is much harder in first loop, survival is much harder in second loop. You could say the first loop rewards methodical skills to a greater extent (the ability to execute memorized sequences of actions very precisely), while the second loop rewards danmaku skills to a greater extent (the ability to read and navigate through slightly random bullet patterns, can't be memorized, needs to be improvised). This is pretty much the same formulae as the URA/Tsujouu loops found in newer games (you have to perform very, very well to access the "top tier" part of the game and get a better score).

DOJ functions much the same way as DDP except that playing with MAX bonus and scoring well increases the difficulty of the game (the rank increases). The better you play, the harder it gets. Now we are exactly with the URA/Tsujouu formulae, the only difference being that you can return to Tsujouu if you make mistake(s) in 2nd loop, which is why the MAX bonus keeps track of whether you are still in URA or Tsujouu and rewards you consequently. This among other things is what makes DOJ superior to DDP in my opinion.

DFK has Ura/Tsujouu loops. You can't get out of URA if you make mistakes, so the maximum bonus was "removed" (it doesn't impact your score significantly). Instead, URA loop is worth more points... but only a little bit.

I agree that DFK's balance is less interesting, because the first loop is damn easy compared to earlier DDP games, and also compared to its own second loop (tbh it does look significantly easier than earlier DDPs as well though). You are playing easy first 4 stages, then make all your score in stage 5. I think the general strategy with the values of the stages, the difficulty of the game, the hyper cancelling bullets and the fireworks graphics style was to attract the more casual gamers into scoring. That's also why you have like 20 different tables keeping track of the best scores of the day with each ship type and subtype, so that most players can reach high in at least a table, and no general score board. To the seasoned scorers I'm sure the game feels more like a waste of time than the previous DDPs, since most of the game is dull, and the lack of general scoreboard feels like the competition is split and you aren't playing against a large pool of players like you would like to. I don't think I mind the stages' respective values very much, because they seem to reflect the difficulty rather accurately, but I imagine playing through 4 easy (relative to previous DDPs) stages before getting to the one stage that presents a nice challenge is disappointing. Also, the 50-50 distribution of points between loops isn't nice to the better players because achieving a score that is twice higher is much more than twice harder, and score is expected to reflect that.
Scores, replays, videos || I have written a guide about getting good at shmups. Check it out !
Follow me on Twitch??