Dodonpachi Saidaioujou

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
amdiggywhut

Re: Dodonpachi Saidaioujou

Post by amdiggywhut »

How much easier is 1.5 than Arcade mode, generally speaking? It must be easier by a decent amount, right? I got to the Stage 4 boss on 1.5 (Shot type) last night after not playing the game for a couple months & certainly never got that far when I used to play Arcade mode (granted, I was using Saya, but still).
-S.L-

Post by -S.L- »

never used saya, but I would say that the rank is a LOT LESS agressive on 1.5

this mode is made to use your hyper as much as possible, if it was the same rank than arcade version with the amount of hyper you drop durring a run, it would be really, really, REALLY difficult.

appart of that, it's more of less the same difficulty I guess, but the rank makes the BIG difference.

also the hyper worls slightly differently on 1.5

a hyper 1 in arcade mode would last the same amount of time than a hyper 10 (just not as strong of course), while in 1.5 mode, a hyper 1 would be really short in time, hyper 2 a little longer and so on, hyper 10 is obvioulsy the longest, same amount of time as an hyper than in arcade.

thou I don't know if a hyper 6 is same lenght than a higher hyper in 1.5. to be confirmed.
Muchi Muchi Spork

Post by Muchi Muchi Spork »

Saya is so overpowered that it "feels like cheating" (Ikeda's own words) so there is no comparison in that case.
amdiggywhut

Post by amdiggywhut »

I do remember reading that Ikeda quote, and Saya's shot does seem to create a lot more slowdown than the other characters. The comparison would be using Saya in arcade vs. using Saya in 1.5.
Muchi Muchi Spork

Post by Muchi Muchi Spork »

Well Saya isn't in the real arcade mode but I hear ya, unlockable cheat on the port.
arelod

Post by arelod »

Sorry if this has been asked elsewhere, I did a couple searches and found nothing.

I will be getting sdoj on 360 soon, but I've heard tons of the music on youtube. I really love the arrange ost. Are there options for using the arrange ost in arcade mode or anything like that?
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

arelod wrote:Sorry if this has been asked elsewhere, I did a couple searches and found nothing.

I will be getting sdoj on 360 soon, but I've heard tons of the music on youtube. I really love the arrange ost. Are there options for using the arrange ost in arcade mode or anything like that?
Yeah, you can select between the OST and AST individually for each stage, but unfortunately you can't swap out the boss themes.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Due to no demand whatsoever, I'm going to chime in on this.

I finally got to play this...and it was odd as hell.

The game is solid. And hard.

But wow, to say I don't like the "theme" of the game, would be an understatement. I believe this is called "moe".
When the game started up, and I got that animated intro, I didn't know what to think.
I was smiling, but it was more of being surprised, than anything else. :lol:

And the XBox 360 version goes even further with it. It's like narration going on and on. I have no idea what she's saying, but I get the vibe of some Japanese schoolgirl writing in her diary, or something.

They went a bit too far, for me, in this one. It's just not my thing.

Also, the game is all blue. It looks like plastic (they went a step too far with their HD models, in this one). And it has lag.

If it didn't have the lag, I would play it more, as it's fun and difficult. But the other stuff is so off-putting.

Funny, because they kind of went all out, on presentation. But they were obviously really targeting Otaku, and no one else.
iconoclast

Post by iconoclast »

Saidaioujou lag is a meme for people who need an excuse for being bad.
Giest118

Post by Giest118 »

iconoclast wrote:Saidaioujou lag is a meme for people who need an excuse for being bad.
It's also a flaw in the port.

:mrgreen:
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

it's real
ATTRACTS

Post by ATTRACTS »

iconoclast wrote:Saidaioujou lag is a meme for people who need an excuse for being bad.
Push the stick all the way to the right or left and hit pause, then let go of the stick and unpause. Let us all know what happens.
Giest118

Post by Giest118 »

He didn't deny that it exists; he implicitly declared that it's good design and part of the challenge.
iconoclast

Post by iconoclast »

It doesn't matter if it exists if people can still get 1.3 trillion in Shot/Laser, 3-4 trillion in Expert, and 170 billion in version 1.5. An insignificant amount of lag isn't what's stopping anybody from limping through a 1cc.
Giest118

Post by Giest118 »

People have gotten 100% completion in Sonic 06, too. Hideous amounts of terrible design and bugs aren't stopping anybody from beating that.

It's almost like the input lag enters into some different part of the equation that you're not considering.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

iconoclast wrote:It doesn't matter if it exists if people can still get 1.3 trillion in Shot/Laser, 3-4 trillion in Expert, and 170 billion in version 1.5. An insignificant amount of lag isn't what's stopping anybody from limping through a 1cc.
i wonder if the leaderboards are dead because overflow is off or because it's a shitty port
it always takes me some time to readjust to the movement after playing futari
iconoclast

Post by iconoclast »

It's because Cave turned the score fix on. Nobody who takes the game seriously is going to play Score Attack. As soon as the game came out, a player named super gamer JCB got two full overflows with A-EX. This was when the port really was bad, seeing as the screen would freeze during a big recharge. By the time Cave fixed the game and reset the leaderboards, everyone knew they had to play offline.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

same case as playing with a 360 pad, really

you can argue that it's fine because gus got a counterstop ultra clear with it, but god knows how many runs died because of his controls not being 100% (which is why i decided to just buy a stick, I don't think I can play at 100% with it as it's nearly impossible to avoid accidental diagonals when doing quick motions)

you can get very high counterstop scores and beat hibachi on the port without any big issues but there is no proof that none of your failed runs were due to the movement being feeling like crap and making you move that extra pixel or two causing you to take a hit

i'd just rather eliminate that factor entirely
Emuser

Post by Emuser »

There is only 2 frames of input delay, which isn't terrible but really shouldn't be there in the first place.
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Giest118 wrote:People have gotten 100% completion in Sonic 06, too. Hideous amounts of terrible design and bugs aren't stopping anybody from beating that.

It's almost like the input lag enters into some different part of the equation that you're not considering.
Yeah pretty much nailed it in a much more humorously well written way than I could have.

It's not a matter of it being too hard, it's that the game's handling feels ugly, which makes it not fun to play for many people. I only really devote time to a game unless I like it on a fundamental level, and a game's movement feeling gross is about as fundamental as you can get.

Iconoclast is obviously a competitive player and is coming at this from a competitive perspective, but even putting aside the fact that not everyone plays these games competitively, the issue is not the difficulty of competition but that many people don't enjoy competing at something that they simply don't enjoy.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Van_Artic

Post by Van_Artic »

Giest118 wrote:People have gotten 100% completion in Sonic 06, too. Hideous amounts of terrible design and bugs aren't stopping anybody from beating that.
i had a fuckload of fun doing that <3
Aleksei

Post by Aleksei »

iconoclast wrote:It's because Cave turned the score fix on. Nobody who takes the game seriously is going to play Score Attack. As soon as the game came out, a player named super gamer JCB

Is that replay legit? Some of those dodges seemed dodgy.
Image Image
[Cabinet 007]
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

Aleksei wrote:
iconoclast wrote:It's because Cave turned the score fix on. Nobody who takes the game seriously is going to play Score Attack. As soon as the game came out, a player named super gamer JCB

which ones lol
Aleksei

Post by Aleksei »

Bananamatic wrote:
Aleksei wrote:

which ones lol
5:17-5:19 , perhaps it was just luck.
Image Image
[Cabinet 007]
finisherr

Post by finisherr »

So, I'm coming back to playing shmups again. Enjoying my favorites as usual on my 360. Then, there is SDOJ. Of the games I own as 360 ports, this is the one of the few games I like a lot that I never cleared. It's just...really hard.

I used to play Type A Laser. I typically like having speed and a strong focused shot. Playing this way allowed me to keep a solid chain and get through the first two stages pretty easily (with practice). By the third stage, things got harder, but was still clearing it untouched maybe 1/3 times. Then, by stage 4, everything changed. Particularly after the mid-boss on stage 4. There were just so much firepower headed my away at wide angles that it was too hard to consistently navigate unscathed with such a narrow laser and shot.

When I came back to the game today I thought it might be a good idea to re-think my play style. I thought it might be a good idea to go the other way entirely, so I tried Type C, shot. Sure, the wide shot handles popcorn coming in from the sides, but the ship is slow...very slow. It's hard to handle boss patterns when you move that slow. Sorta made me wanted to pull my hair out.

Then, I tried Type B shot. Now, this was a better alternative, but I was still getting shot at wide angles. The speed was better, but the shot was not strong enough to handle the incoming fire power on the later stages.

Then I tried Type D shot. This is like night and day. If I stick to shot with this type, I can make my way through nearly all of the levels with a LOT more consistency. The issue is that I feel like it's kind of cheating since the shot type isn't available on the PCB.

At the end of the day, I'm sorta leaning Type D shot or Type B shot. I'd be curious to see how other folks weigh in on their preferred shot types for SDOJ.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

finisherr wrote:Then, I tried Type B shot. Now, this was a better alternative, but I was still getting shot at wide angles. The speed was better, but the shot was not strong enough to handle the incoming fire power on the later stages.

Then I tried Type D shot. This is like night and day. If I stick to shot with this type, I can make my way through nearly all of the levels with a LOT more consistency. The issue is that I feel like it's kind of cheating since the shot type isn't available on the PCB.

At the end of the day, I'm sorta leaning Type D shot or Type B shot. I'd be curious to see how other folks weigh in on their preferred shot types for SDOJ.
As others stated above... Type D was designed exclusively for the home port, and as such, she's ridiculously over-powered in comparison to the rest of the cast. Hell, she's arguably more broken than Piper is in DOJ BLEX.

I too initially struggled while playing DDP and DP trying to use the Type A and C craft. It wasn't until I started playing DFK that I gave the Type B a try... after that, I found myself gravitating toward this ship in every DDP game (well, except for DOJ, which doesn't adhere to the formula used in the other 4 games).
iconoclast

Post by iconoclast »

Easiest to hardest (for survival, imo of course):
D-S > D-L >>> A-S >> C-L > B-L >> A-L

A-S is clearly better than any of the other default ships due to its fast movement speed and powerful shot. I had the hardest time with A-L, but maybe that's just because it's so different from everything else. I couldn't really copy+paste the same patterns that I normally used because its shot coverage is so thin, and I wasn't about to relearn a bunch of stuff for a ship I didn't want to play. I never played B-S or C-S much.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

C-EX
finisherr

Post by finisherr »

iconoclast wrote:Easiest to hardest (for survival, imo of course):
D-S > D-L >>> A-S >> C-L > B-L >> A-L

A-S is clearly better than any of the other default ships due to its fast movement speed and powerful shot. I had the hardest time with A-L, but maybe that's just because it's so different from everything else. I couldn't really copy+paste the same patterns that I normally used because its shot coverage is so thin, and I wasn't about to relearn a bunch of stuff for a ship I didn't want to play. I never played B-S or C-S much.
I know this sounds ridiculous, but I never actually played A shot. If I'm not using Type D, this option works pretty well. I'm not good enough at this game to play for score much but I think this might get me through to the end eventually.
destroythec0re

Post by destroythec0re »

What's consensus on SDOJ relative to the others? I'm playing on 360 and its not clicking...things are feeling very floaty/detached..I'm also having trouble with the hitbox...something I never had a problem with other Dodonpach's.