Dodonpachi Saidaioujou

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Erppo

Re: Dodonpachi Saidaioujou

Post by Erppo »

PROMETHEUS wrote:I agree that DFK's balance is less interesting, because the first loop is damn easy compared to earlier DDP games, and also compared to its own second loop (tbh it does look significantly easier than earlier DDPs as well though). You are playing easy first 4 stages, then make all your score in stage 5.
Sure, if you say 50% (from 50% of the loop) is all. Also this is quite interesting, what sort of scores have you gotten from the first stages? (Also the thing in the brackets is just making you look dumb there.)
PROMETHEUS wrote:To the seasoned scorers I'm sure the game feels more like a waste of time than the previous DDPs, since most of the game is dull, and the lack of general scoreboard feels like the competition is split and you aren't playing against a large pool of players like you would like to.
I'm sure SWY and all the other people who still keep the game's WRs updating every month feel regret all the time. Also comparing scores between several boards is nowhere near as hard as you make it sound.
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

It's just my opinion from what I've seen of the game and the talks I've had with the best French players of DFK at meets, of course I and them can be wrong about the difficulty. None of us have played all of the DDPs at a high level.
It would be interesting to see what players like SWY think about all of this.

I think you have experience of both games' first loop scoring, no ? Don't you feel that DOJ's first loop is much harder to no miss no bomb + score optimally than DFK's ?
Scores, replays, videos || I have written a guide about getting good at shmups. Check it out !
Follow me on Twitch??
Erppo

Post by Erppo »

PROMETHEUS wrote:It's just my opinion from what I've seen of the game and the talks I've had with the best French players of DFK at meets, of course I and them can be wrong about the difficulty. None of us have played all of the DDPs at a high level.
It would be interesting to see what players like SWY think about all of this.

I think you have experience of both games' first loop scoring, no ? Don't you feel that DOJ's first loop is much harder to no miss no bomb + score optimally than DFK's ?
I have heard from somewhere (maybe EOJ or NTSC-J?) that it's one of SWY's favourites actually. At least he beat his old record in it pretty recently. I however would never be willing to go to the levels where the extensive boss milking becomes necessary, but I guess some weirdoes enjoy that too. :lol:

DOJBL (I haven't ever really played WL) is the hardest game to do an optimal first loop in simply due to the ridiculously precise tricks needed at the midbosses in 1-3 and 1-4. If you ignore those bits however, I think all first loops are pretty equal. DFK is harder to rate on the same scale though since doing only full chains with free access to hypers is rather easy, but doing them optimally is not. If you really want to push DFK with some of the hardest stage optimization and boss milking tricks it will probably surpass DOJ though. People have recently gotten first loop scores (595 billion!) that I wouldn't have even believed possible.

I have never done a NMNB first loop in DOJBL, but it's the one of the three that I have put least time into. I did do that several times in DDP though and I think DFK is pretty equal to that game in this regard (though it's not as important as you're still allowed 2 bombs to Ura loop).
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

I'm not sure about DFK for not having played it outside of meets, but I can tell that DOJ's first loop is much harder than DDP's (with optimal scoring) even without 1-3 and 1-4 midboss tricks, although it is true that DDP's 1-5 and 1-6 aren't that easy.

I've been disapointed by DFK's first 4 stages when I watched first loop superplays. They seem really straightforward and there seems to be very little dodging. Discussing this with a French player he generally agreed there is not much dodging going on there, but said the chains weren't that straightforward and there were a few bits of stage 3 and especially 4 where you do have to pull some precise tricks. I'm looking forward to attempting that in the future, maybe.

SDOJ, on the other hand, looks fabulous to me. I don't know if the chaining is going to be as interesting, but the dodging part - the most important to me - looks so sexy that I can't wait to play that one, even though I'll be waiting years before it becomes available to me with keyboard !

I would love to interview SWY about this though. I'm really curious what the top japanese players think about the difference in difficulty, gameplay and competitive value of the DDPs.
Scores, replays, videos || I have written a guide about getting good at shmups. Check it out !
Follow me on Twitch??
third_strike

Post by third_strike »

PROMETHEUS wrote: I've been disapointed by DFK's first 4 stages when I watched first loop superplays. They seem really straightforward and there seems to be very little dodging. Discussing this with a French player he generally agreed there is not much dodging going on there, but said the chains weren't that straightforward and there were a few bits of stage 3 and especially 4 where you do have to pull some precise tricks. I'm looking forward to attempting that in the future, maybe.

SDOJ, on the other hand, looks fabulous to me. I don't know if the chaining is going to be as interesting, but the dodging part - the most important to me - looks so sexy that I can't wait to play that one, even though I'll be waiting years before it becomes available to me with keyboard !
Very strange see player like you talking about dodging. say me why you don't dodge 1-3 and 1-4 in DDP? Don't misunderstanding me I am not pissed off with your comments about DFK. But I guess which you will agree only a novice in a determined game will dodge like a crazy, after know about the score routes and boss patterns the natural dodge will get out of scene. You can see this pretty clear and a live in later SDOJ videos (who is dodging boss 3). DFK 1.5 have of most complex score system done by cave call it "straightforward" seems very strange.
And the kayboard stuff make me laugh!
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

Yeah indeed like you said I think there's very little dodging going on in DDP's first 3 or 4 stages (however stage 2 and 4 have relatively high methodical difficulty, with stage 6 the hardest methodically, and stage 5 the hardest in terms of dodging). I don't think that's only because of the memorization, DOJ BL gets this right by having just the right dose of difficulty, the system and the patterns do manage to force you into doing hard dodges + hard methodical moves throughout the first loop, starting from the first stage ! It also manages to be approachable by less experienced players by scaling difficulty really well depending on your level of optimization. That's why I think it is superior to DDP, among other things.

I can see how DFK has a complex scoring system, but the complexity of the system does not equal difficulty in the final scoring routes. The system is just a mean to make the player play a certain way instead of pure survival, it makes the game harder and more interesting, it gives the game its play style(s), its personnality. In DFK, the optimal scoring routes resulting from that complex system look straightforward to me, in the first loop, even though I can't do them at all of course, without memorization. And then I could be wrong and it could be much harder than I think it is, methodically and dodging-ly speaking !

What I'm seeing so far in SDOJ is a loss of methodical play again but much more emphasis on the dodging than ever before, and I love that.
Follow me on Twitch??
third_strike

Post by third_strike »

Sorry PROMETHEUS I was talking about 1-3 and 1-4 bosses.
1-3 and 1-4 DDp stages are OK!
Sapz

Post by Sapz »

From my experience with the two, I'd say that comparing DFK to DOJBL, the dodging is easier from 1-1 to 1-4 and harder from 1-5 onwards. With regards to chaining difficulty, it's hard to really say. As Erppo said, there's not that many ways you can perform a DOJBL full chain - it's largely an issue of whether you're using hypers on harder parts or saving them from later. With DFK however, there's a very large range of chain difficulties in each stage. You can cheese an easy, low-scoring full chain with hypers, but to really get everything out of the stages there are a lot of crazy risks, and they can potentially get extremely hard trying to figure out how to get the most out of each hyper, work the multipliers correctly, and with Bomb/Strong ships put yourself in great danger to get your hyper recharges faster.

I'd also go as far as saying that the Ura loop stuff in particular is harder to dodge than in either DDP or DOJ (Hibachi possibly aside); it's only considered an easier 2-ALL because of the huge amount of resources you have available. When you're not allowed to use those (in order to chain), it becomes extremely hardcore - from my experience, 2-5 has significantly harder stuff to dodge than any other stage in the series.

A last thing to note is that the stages are really well designed, and in my opinion just plain more fun to chain than the previous games. Things like the third Ura midboss figure-of-eight chase, the 4th stage post-midboss rush, and almost everything in stage 5 never get old.

Just my two cents. :P
STGT '11 - #1 | STGT '12 - #1
Giest118

Post by Giest118 »

Even though DFK's scoring system annoys me in many ways, I agree with Sapz on the level design. Stages 3 and 5 are all kinds of hilariously amazing, and very fun to play even if you're NOT playing for score. I realize that's missing half the point of the game, but I don't care. ... When a given score chain DOES go your way though, it is very satisfying, I admit. >_>

But anyway, uh. How about that SaiDaiOuJou?
Formless God

Post by Formless God »

Giest118 wrote:But anyway, uh. How about that SaiDaiOuJou?
Still doing pretty well on its way to GotY-dom and smartphones

Code: Select all

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm17827464
New no-miss no-bomb Stage 3 (boss excluded). Second half looks rather fast.
RegalSin wrote:Then again sex is no diffrent then sticking a stick down some hole to make a female womenly or girl scream or make noise.
Giest118

Post by Giest118 »

So I just noticed this video that includes English subtitles for Hibachi and the ending:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_QBisDe2OQ (Note: need to turn on the Captions specifically)

She's saying exactly what you think she's saying.
spineshark

Post by spineshark »

I wouldn't disagree that DOJ's chains are overall harder to learn than DFK's, at least from what I've played and learned myself (basically, I've done the 1-1 and 1-2 chains in DOJBL (although not at the same time) and similarly in DFK through stage 1-4), since in a large number of spots you can clear the screen as quickly as you want as long as you're ready to train your laser on the spot where the next enemy will come from. Plus, if you know you messed up in DFK you can sometimes bail yourself out with a hyper (although this can cost a lot of points).

But there's definitely also a lot of precision and strategy in the bullet-canceling phases, and I prefer it that way because it lets you improve more on a curve (Of course, since you obviously already really like DDP and DOJ, you might not feel the same way). Right now I can only usually get ~4400 hits at the beginning of stage 3, for example, but once I learn how to pull that up to 5000 I'll get to see a pretty significant score increase, if certainly not on the same level as learning a full stage chain in DOJ instead of two halves.
I agree that DFK's balance is less interesting, because the first loop is damn easy compared to earlier DDP games, and also compared to its own second loop (tbh it does look significantly easier than earlier DDPs as well though). You are playing easy first 4 stages, then make all your score in stage 5. I think the general strategy with the values of the stages, the difficulty of the game, the hyper cancelling bullets and the fireworks graphics style was to attract the more casual gamers into scoring. That's also why you have like 20 different tables keeping track of the best scores of the day with each ship type and subtype, so that most players can reach high in at least a table, and no general score board. To the seasoned scorers I'm sure the game feels more like a waste of time than the previous DDPs, since most of the game is dull, and the lack of general scoreboard feels like the competition is split and you aren't playing against a large pool of players like you would like to. I don't think I mind the stages' respective values very much, because they seem to reflect the difficulty rather accurately, but I imagine playing through 4 easy (relative to previous DDPs) stages before getting to the one stage that presents a nice challenge is disappointing. Also, the 50-50 distribution of points between loops isn't nice to the better players because achieving a score that is twice higher is much more than twice harder, and score is expected to reflect that.
I don't agree with this. In any game you're going to have some sources of score that are really important and some that aren't. I'm not too sure about this so feel free to correct me, but I guess my understanding of the score priority in DOJ goes like this (based mostly on this post:
1) Chain timing and hyper usage
2) Bee pickups (reliant on #1)
3) Not dying or bombing
large gap
4) picking up small point items

While DFK's is more like this:
1) Chain timing
2) Canceling more bullets with hypers/at better times
small gap
3) Boss milking (reliant on #1 and 2)
large gap
4) Maximum bonus (ties in slightly to #1-3) (I'm not even sure this doesn't stack up pretty high late in the game. It seems to give about 10k every couple seconds even at the lowest)
another gap
5) picking up extra point items (non-autocollected stars and bee items)

And DFK is also a different game because of how relatively easy it is to stumble through the game with bullet canceling and hyper invincibility. Handing out a large survival bonus in a game where survival play is so contrary to how the game is meant to be played is something I wouldn't agree with, whether or not it was actually a calculated decision. (It probably wasn't.)

Also, I don't see the differing scoreboards as a flaw. If you have multiple choices that are actually, you know, different, then there are always going to be differences in the potential scores. If you want the highest number, you'll play the best/easiest one (which is often the same thing in Cave games) anyway, so I think it's a good encouragement for people to play with the less obvious types. And scoring as Bomb in particular is hardly trivial; the lower damage, hyper build, and weaker bullet canceling all make for a very different game. I know some people really like playing Bomb exactly because it isn't very powerful, which can do a lot for the early stages if you find them pretty easy.

But, to cut off and sum up, I don't want it to come off like I'm selling this game too hard, but I really do hope you give it a chance. You might be surprised. I know I was, because I had similar thoughts from watching the game and when I first started playing, but once it clicked, it became one of my favorite Cave games. For you I doubt it'll dethrone DOJ or anything, but I really do think you'll find it worth some quality time.

SDOJ also looks really good though. Even as someone who's not the biggest DOJ fan around I think it looks really exciting on the whole, and it seems like they've learned a lot from some of the other games they've made since DOJ.
Last edited by spineshark on Tue May 15, 2012 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aliquantic

Post by Aliquantic »

I'd add that there's a non-trivial difference in chaining or dodging difficulty between ship types in DFK 1.5, which affects things like how much pointblank you need to do to get your hypers back, or survival obviously. Go for Bomb :P
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

brb saving the topic
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Formless God

Post by Formless God »

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201205/17014739.html
Apparently you can get a B1 poster of that plus signatures if you fill in the form.
I wonder if they ship overseas ...
RegalSin wrote:Then again sex is no diffrent then sticking a stick down some hole to make a female womenly or girl scream or make noise.
AntiFritz

Post by AntiFritz »

Doubt it considering theirs no country option.

Afaik its a competition so its no guaranteed anyway.
RegalSin wrote:Rape is very shakey subject. It falls into the catergory of Womens right, Homosexaul rights, and Black rights.
Nereid

Post by Nereid »

It's limited to 1 winner anyway.
Formless God

Post by Formless God »

Join their last matsuri stream

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/cave-goods
Seems to be talking about SDOJ at the moment.
sven666

Post by sven666 »

Formless God wrote:Join their last matsuri stream

very dull, just showing some cave shop items?
the destruction of everything, is the beginning of something new. your whole world is on fire, and soon, you'll be too..
adversity1

Post by adversity1 »

sven666 wrote:

This should excite more:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM7SbG1733o
We are holding the secret power of shmups.
O. Van Bruce
Location: On an alternate dimension... filled with bullets and moon runes...

Post by O. Van Bruce »

adversity1 wrote:
sven666 wrote:

This should excite more:

What should I get from that? That the chinese market has started to have some interest in CAVE shmups and the upcoming PCB sales will save CAVE arcade division?
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

I have nothing new to say about this game. But it's badass. It has quickly become one of my favorite Cave games ever and is a blast each and every run. Stage 5 has so much dodging and hypers and big chains, there's no way not to get sucked in. I saw a guy get there last night with a few lives in stock and he was sweating bullets. He was shucking and jiving and so into it that at one point, a pattern came so dangerously close to his ship that he moved his own body out of the way reflexively but forgot to move his ship!

Also, tales of this game's difficulty are greatly exaggerated. I know there's a TLB and Expert mode, but a normal clear is about mid-tier Cave difficulty. I don't know if I'm just so used to it now, but this past week I played the game probably 10 times and cleared it at least 8 of those tries. According to Plankian Theory, this is due to abnormal amounts of luck and I should expect to beat it only once in my next hundred attempts (if ever again at all).
Bee Cool

Post by Bee Cool »

It's good to hear that Cave's arcade lineup is ending on a high note.
RIP in peaces mjclark and Estebang
Op Intensify

Post by Op Intensify »

Now that Cave's arcade history has drawn to a close, let's compare their output with some of the other major developers:

Cave: 21 shmups
Toaplan: 17 shmups
Raizing: 9 shmups
Psikyo: 17 shmups
Irem: 16 shmups (post-1984)
Taito: 25 or so shmups (post-1984)
Triangle Service: 3 full shmups, 4 or so mini shmups

I'd say they did pretty well.
sven666

Post by sven666 »

Op Intensify wrote:Now that Cave's arcade history has drawn to a close,
:roll: nailing an empty coffin..
the destruction of everything, is the beginning of something new. your whole world is on fire, and soon, you'll be too..
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

adversity1 wrote: This should excite more:

That's pretty fucking cool.

Why is it only the west that has an abject prejudice toward 2D gaming.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

trap15

Post by trap15 »

Skykid wrote:
adversity1 wrote: This should excite more:

That's pretty fucking cool.

Why is it only the west that has an abject prejudice toward 2D gaming.
Because it's not REALISTIC enough, not HIGH TECH enough, and not A FIRST PERSON SHOOTER.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Because polygonal angrybrown is more cost-effective than pixel-based angrybrown. :P
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

I would think Cave would announce their next game already.

Considering Mushihimesama is one week away.
A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

they're "supposed" to be working on deathsmiles iii
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!